Common Buses

409 Thornton

Can't forget those D60LFs! :D

Yeah. Shame LTC only has 3, more are needed!

I have never seen them :(

Does anyone know where they are stored in LT's garage?

In the same barn as ALL the diseal vehicles :rolleyes: . I saw an artic parked at the front of the diseal barn on Saturday afternoon during Open Doors day. :P

• 1 month later...

Sooner or later we would all be missing the Flyer (trolleybuses) and classics..........it's always hard to realize the true values and goodness of things until we lose them one day!

Is there much affection for the Flyer trolleybuses? I mean their lives have been stretched, practically everyone else that had Flyer's that age no longer has them. Sure Vancouver's Flyer's they have now are electric trolley buses and probably can last a bit longer then a diesel counterpart. But really will the Flyer trolleybuses be missed like the GM Fishbowl will be missed? Given the quality of the Flyer product wasn't spectacular by any means.

I'm not sure, I don't live in Vancouver, so maybe I have no idea what I am talking about. But I'd be interested in hearing from some people in Vancouver whether or not they would actually miss the Flyer's once they are gone.

Is there much affection for the Flyer trolleybuses? I mean their lives have been stretched, practically everyone else that had Flyer's that age no longer has them. Sure Vancouver's Flyer's they have now are electric trolley buses and probably can last a bit longer then a diesel counterpart. But really will the Flyer trolleybuses be missed like the GM Fishbowl will be missed? Given the quality of the Flyer product wasn't spectacular by any means.

I'm not sure, I don't live in Vancouver, so maybe I have no idea what I am talking about. But I'd be interested in hearing from some people in Vancouver whether or not they would actually miss the Flyer's once they are gone.

My best longtime friend has told me he will miss the Flyers when they go. He is not a transit fan by any stretch of the imagination - though he has gained some knowledge of buses from me - but he sees the Flyer trolleys as something that "represents Vancouver". He rode them a lot with his family when he was younger, much more so than I did... because he, unlike myself, was actually born and raised here in Vancouver. (We're the same age.) He's ridden the buses enough over the years to recognize those trolley buses. One doesn't have to be a transit fan to know about those trolley buses, and to recognize them for what they are. Even I knew the word "trolley bus" when I was seven and had lived in Vancouver for barely a year, in fact, my dad and I as a joke called them "bolley trusses"! :P

I think opinions will vary, but I do believe there will be people out there of the same opinion as my friend... probably people of the same generation as he and I, and who rode the bus a lot as children and pre-teens. Trolley buses are a part of Vancouver's culture, that's for sure, and for our generation (speaking from a non-transit fan's point of view) they represent something that has been there for a while, a sort of fixture on the streets of Vancouver. I won't go so far as to compare the Flyers to the legendary Brills, but the fact is that our generation didn't see the Brills in service and will probably always remember the Flyers when they think of trolley buses. That's certainly my opinion.

And remember Kevin, the non-transit fan population probably isn't as aware of the Flyers' troubled history, unless they take the trouble to go back and research the court cases by BCT against Flyer in the mid 1980s. To the average person of our generation, the Flyers are the buses that have just kept on going. Until now, of course, and I think they will be missed just for that.

Maybe it's just me............I think it's hard to "judge" on the quality of buses and decide whether they will be missed or not.............even if we're dealing with the crappiest buses, I'll still miss them when they retire (Well, unless they're really THAT kyboshed) otherwise, I think I'll miss them; not because of the bus itself, but the fact that I rode them since I was 13 (well by the time they retire, I'll be 19!)

In fact, I never really miss the fishbowls............I like them, I try every single opportunity just to get on one - but afterwards I never really keep the Vancouver fishbowls in mind, simply I have never rode on a single one while they were in service!

Dave

I suppose the Flyer trolleybuses do have a place in my heart too. After all the first trolleybus I rode was in Vancouver, a Flyer about 4 years ago. Actually the first trolleybus I ever rode dewired, just my luck I guess.

But certainly I photographed and rode more Flyer trolleys before I did Edmonton's GM-BBC units.

I agree with the reference to generations. Our generation (born in the 80's/early 90's) have for the most part grown up with similar transit equipment. For example, very few of us in this generation can say we rode many GM Old Looks in service. No doubt they are missed particularly by older transit fans that are atleast into their 30's now. But I can't really say I missed the GM Old Looks, I've only ever rode one and it was from ETS's historic collection. I suppose one can't really miss something unless they have experienced its presence.

So I guess many people in Vancouver will miss the Flyer trolleys atleast a little bit, for what they were and for the two and half decades that they ran up and down many streets in Vancouver, it does identify Vancouver yes. After all they did turn out to be a pretty decent bus, maybe not the best but still pretty darn good.