Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

On 11/18/2021 at 1:48 AM, dover5949 said:

I noticed 12019 displaying "To Garage" this evening. Don't recall of seeing this in the past?

In the olden times the North Van buses went back to NVTC in service. Cannot remember when that stopped but maybe early 2000s. Is a "To Garage" bus in service? 

1 hour ago, Dane said:

In the olden times the North Van buses went back to NVTC in service. Cannot remember when that stopped but maybe early 2000s. Is a "To Garage" bus in service? 

ETS was the same.  In Service to and from the garage. The garage was your first and last stop. Your job was to pick up people, not drive past them. The only time one saw NIS on the sign, there was a mechanic driving it.

Sadly we have strayed from that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

ETS was the same.  In Service to and from the garage. The garage was your first and last stop. Your job was to pick up people, not drive past them. The only time one saw NIS on the sign, there was a mechanic driving it.

Sadly we have strayed from that.

There are times when this makes sense and there are times when it doesn’t. When HTC first opened, it had 410s terminating at Boundary Road (just outside the depot) and it made no sense because there is nothing there… not even a proper sidewalk, and people would be forced to wait for the next bus anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Citaro said:

There are times when this makes sense and there are times when it doesn’t. When HTC first opened, it had 410s terminating at Boundary Road (just outside the depot) and it made no sense because there is nothing there… not even a proper sidewalk, and people would be forced to wait for the next bus anyway.

Agreed. This was mostly rigidly applied to first few buses out and last few buses in to ensure passenger safety and no one got stranded.  However most drivers back in the day did this just because it was good customer service to accommodate all passengers. If it looked like someone was going to be a troublemaker there would be no hesitation to sail on right past them.

• Like 1

Passenger gets on bus that only goes to the garage or a certain street.

Driver: "Just so you know, this bus only goes to such and such and thats it."

Passenger:  "OK, no problem!"

Bus gets to final stop

Driver: "Last stop!"

Passenger: "What do you mean? Don't you go to such and such? I need to go there."

Ah, good times - good times 

49 to Granville being my personal favourite.  People get on, you tell them (along with the signs) that you only go to Granville, you don't go to UBC.  Yup, OK, no problem they say.  Get to Granville and they sit there like a deer caught in headlights "Don't you go to the University?"  Nope, and obviously neither do you.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, 9924 said:

Passenger gets on bus that only goes to the garage or a certain street.

Driver: "Just so you know, this bus only goes to such and such and thats it."

Passenger:  "OK, no problem!"

Bus gets to final stop

Driver: "Last stop!"

Passenger: "What do you mean? Don't you go to such and such? I need to go there."

Ah, good times - good times 

49 to Granville being my personal favourite.  People get on, you tell them (along with the signs) that you only go to Granville, you don't go to UBC.  Yup, OK, no problem they say.  Get to Granville and they sit there like a deer caught in headlights "Don't you go to the University?"  Nope, and obviously neither do you.

I actually like doing those trips that end along the route, I pull over, go on the PA and say loud and clear "this bus is no longer in service". And I like to be consistent too, if people try to argue I say the same words over and over "this bus is no longer in service" until they get off. It works, no need to explain/argue 😏

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 12:32 PM, Citaro said:

...and the next bus going to 22nd Street is usually running late, and already full by the time it gets to the Boundary stop, so now there's a few dozen angry people all crowded onto that tiny little bit of asphalt on the side of the road by the ditch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dover5949 said:

Due to Icy Road Conditions VTC did not book out any articulated Trolley's today. Instead 40 Foot Trolley's & Nova's are booked out on the runs

same to STC, they booked their XD40 and XN40 for normally used articulated one like 503 and R1 this weekend

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 8:13 PM, Express691 said:

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/translink/documents/about-translink/governance-and-board/council-minutes-and-reports/2022/agenda_mayors_council_board_public_mtg_20220127.pdf

Mayors Council meeting minutes have been released. There is a meeting this thursday which is a joint meeting between the board of directors and the mayors council

Few things worth noting

Screenshot_20220128-005023.png