Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

4 hours ago, Vancouvers Trolleys said:

All diesels on routes 14, 16, and 20.

20 is on detour today since Commercial is closed from 1st Ave to Venables for Every Child Matter - Indigenous Artist.  Buses are using Clark for this stretch.

There are some trolleys out on the 14 and 16 now, blocks that started after 10am have been coming out as trolleys, while earlier blocks are diesels.  So there may have been some construction or police incident along East Hastings that impacted operations this morning.

2 hours ago, ThomasW97 said:

Is it really necessary to post everytime a trolley route get dieselized

I would refer you to the first post in this thread:

"Feel free to post absolutely anything under this section............this topic is created for those individuals who are absolutely dedicated to transit and would love to share sightings of every single bus spotted throughout the day. Post absolutely anything you want here..........the other reason that I created this topic is simply due to the fact that I am absolutely fed up of the politics within the special-sightings topic and I think this is an effective way to eliminate any arguments or debates over the "true definition" of "special sightings". Again, all I am trying to enforce is that we "stay on topic".....or in other words, criteria of post that matches with headline topic stated.

Have fun posting........and do not hesistate to post under this topic as there are no specific guidelines / topics / themes........in other words ,there are absolutely no limits and boundaries as long as the criteria posted is acceptable to the general public of all ages, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and so on and follows the general theme of "transit sightings" "

So yes, dieselisation of a trolley route would absolutely fall under general transit sightings.  And often if a trolley route is completely dieselised it is due to a construction project or other event of note, that could also be of interest.  So don't try to police what people post just because you are not interested in it.  Everyone has their own areas of interest, and there is nothing to be gained by judging them.  Personally, I don't care about tracking ad wraps or license plates on buses; but I will not shame or judge those who are interested in those things and post about them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Michael Marriott said:

So yes, dieselisation of a trolley route would absolutely fall under general transit sightings.  And often if a trolley route is completely dieselised it is due to a construction project or other event of note, that could also be of interest.  So don't try to police what people post just because you are not interested in it.  Everyone has their own areas of interest, and there is nothing to be gained by judging them.  Personally, I don't care about tracking ad wraps or license plates on buses; but I will do not begrudge or judge those who are interested in those things and post about them.

♥♥♥ Well said. I am one of those that are very interested to know why a trolley route would suddenly have diesels running on it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Haven’t seen any posts about it but I’m sure no ones surprised about this, 4-car MK Is are running on the Expo Line.

First thought is that the mk2/3 with broken A/C is taking slightly longer to repair.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:05 AM, northwesterner said:

It's not that it couldn't be done.

We know it could be done.

They knew it could be done.

But you can't underestimate the organizational inertia that has to be overcome to make a change of this nature. Thirty-five years of middle managers who could have done something, but chose not to take on that battle. We should be grateful someone finally was able to push that rock up a mountain and get it done.

On 6/28/2021 at 11:56 AM, MCW Metrobus said:

Technically, "the older buses don't allow us to do that" is also incorrect. The flipdot signs might not be able to display stacked text, but in Toronto, the old TTC buses (GM fishbowls and Flyer D901s, for instance) used scrolling to display two-part destinations. Where the problem arose, in my opinion, was with PR messages, because that would result in a scrolling cycle like "129 MCCOWAN NORTH / TO MAJOR MACKENZIE DRIVE / EXTRA FARE REQUIRED / NORTH OF STEELES", which might leave riders waiting at a stop served by multiple routes not knowing if the approaching bus is the one they want, until it has already passed them by and they see the rear sign displaying "129". On a modern sign like a Luminator Horizon with stacked text, that same front message could be displayed in two exposures - and this was 15 years ago, which is the last time I was in Toronto.

And let's not forget, revisiting your Richmond example, that the sign "401 ONE ROAD / TO STEVESTON" already exists, and has existed for a long time. I have a picture of it being used on a 7100 series D40LF many years ago, and I've used it a few times myself because it appears on the sign code sheet.

A couple of employees have actually suggested this. I'm not sure whether the suggestion will be heeded or not; probably not. 

Thanks for all the replies :).  When I said "couldn't be done", I know they were using the stacked difficulty on the flip-dot signs as an excuse - they absolutely could have been done.  There was also the bold font and the non-bold on the flip-dots - the route name part could have been in bold, and the destination part could have been in non-bold.

As for the part like shown above in Toronto - I remember in Winnipeg they had some long signs too - and they used an ellipsis at the end of an exposure (three dots - ...) to indicate that it continued.  So if you saw a saw with an ellipsis, you would know there's something else that the bus is going to say - no ellipsis, the next exposure would be the first one.  So if it matters which branch you're taking, you keep looking.  If I recall correctly, it was side signs with these multiple exposures that usually sucked, especially if you hadn't been paying attention to the front sign.

So yes, they could have done this before.  It seems like they were basically doing everything "because that's how we've always done it".  But even this led to inconsistencies.  Why "16 29th Ave Stn" and not "16 Renfrew"?  Of course there are many such inconsistencies...

Anyway enough of this.

On 6/30/2021 at 11:28 AM, briguychau said:

Does this mean that the issue at Lougheed with Mk 1s timing out has been resolved?

I had the radio on the other day and the problem seems to have been fixed (heard only one comment about a train having lost multiple VOBCs and Production Way was asked to deal with it), but it also seemed like it was more of an issue with 6-car Mk 1 trains and I think they are using 4-car right now.  But even so, it needed to be fixed because that was a pretty silly issue to have - one train type is not compatible...

10 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

S18166 on the #R1 today. Glad I don't need to ride that during rush hour...

Four total trips on the R1 this PM were XN40. Also, only 3 of the 10 XDE60 in STC were available the entire day, forcing some 503 to use RapidBus.

======

Bays 1 thru 3 (84, 33/68, and the suspended 44) at UBC are closed due to construction. 

Construction suggests the bays are getting real time info screens. Wondering if someone can confirm or anything - thanks in advance

20210709_190150.thumb.jpg.81f59938f666a2f6176bb81ed9d11340.jpg

On 7/9/2021 at 9:19 PM, Express691 said:

Bays 1 thru 3 (84, 33/68, and the suspended 44) at UBC are closed due to construction. 

Construction suggests the bays are getting real time info screens. Wondering if someone can confirm or anything - thanks in advance

20210709_190150.thumb.jpg.81f59938f666a2f6176bb81ed9d11340.jpg

Confirmed via Twitter.

3C255813-C625-4500-989B-72F26DF6CA31.jpeg

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 8010 said:

Confirmed via Twitter.

3C255813-C625-4500-989B-72F26DF6CA31.jpeg

It doesn’t seem like they know whether it’s LED or RapidBus displays being installed. Judging by the amount of pavement removed I would guess LED but I’m probably wrong since cost-cutting is TransLink’s favourite thing to do.