Vancouver general sightings and notes

On 2/15/2021 at 9:42 PM, Thomasw said:

Any reason as to why 40’ were still on artic routes today? Saw 9669 on the 20 and 9563, 9678 and 16114 on the 49. I didn’t see any artics on both routes. There was no snow on the road and it was way above freezing all day.

Saturday saw about 4 60fters on the 49 after most got swapped out and those starting from the yard later in the day were put on with 40fters.  Sunday, all 49s were assigned 40fters out of the yard.   As for Monday, not sure why but I would assume that it was a precautionary measure if any 40fters were put out on the road.

On 2/15/2021 at 9:45 PM, Express691 said:

wasn't really the case in the morning and it's not like they are/were needed anyway

Right, guess every second 40fter with "Sorry Bus Full" on the 49 is more than sufficient.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, DJ1400 said:

Some RapidBuses had started to relocate their fleet numbers below "RapidBus" logo 

IMG_4490.JPG

In case you can’t find the fleet # on the green or blue, you can find it on the charcoal as well!

There is a defibrillator set up inside Brighouse station with reports there is also one at Bridgeport.

A sheet of paper posted on it boldly states that "there is no trade value" for flippers/robbers

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Express691 said:

There is a defibrillator set up inside Brighouse station with reports there is also one at Bridgeport.

A sheet of paper posted on it boldly states that "there is no trade value" for flippers/robbers

Yep, I saw one at Bridgeport the other day

4 hours ago, Citaro said:

I guess you can say they'll be needing "cranes" at that facility

In any case, I wonder how the tracks will merge onto the existing mainline

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Express691 said:

I guess you can say they'll be needing "cranes" at that facility

In any case, I wonder how the tracks will merge onto the existing mainline

At least an existing pocket track is there. Nice flat section to branch off of.

Given the size of the parcel they just bought, I have so many questions...

Will they keep using or expanding the Falcon OMC after this is done? Given that they already own the property, they'll probably want to keep it. However, this move could free up the two tail tracks that they just built on top of the future Falcon Station to the west... that or TransLink intended the station to be on the east side of the property. But I honestly thought that TransLink would expand the Falcon OMC to the northeast where it is currently vacant. Hmmmmm...

Will the Braid OMC site have more than one purpose? Some cities have approved developments on top of metro yards... Vancouver isn't in a space crunch yet, but this could be a way of providing additional income and affordable housing. That or TransLink can co-locate other functions on-site (e.g. bus or paratransit depot) to maximize its utilization.

Is another SkyTrain OMC still required or planned after this is built? I originally thought that TransLink could purchase land for and build one next to Scott Road Station to accommodate the SkyTrain extension to Langley. Now that doesn't seem as likely... 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

Is another SkyTrain OMC still required or planned after this is built? I originally thought that TransLink could purchase land for and build one next to Scott Road Station to accommodate the SkyTrain extension to Langley. Now that doesn't seem as likely... 

While I can't answer the first bit, I believe the official plan was to build it in Langley or Fleetwood/Clayton. Not in Whalley/Scott Road area.

• Like 1

Never thought much of this sighting until a friend of mine pointed out something strange

March 12: At around 15:00, an RTC nova came into Ladner Exchange signed in as a 601 Ladner Exchange, then swapped its sign to 617 East Ladner.

The normal RTC 617 doesn't start until 15:25 and that comes off a 606. Perhaps this is some sort of overload trip? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Vancouvers Trolleys said:

Diesel on the 41 - 18340.

Yep, that was the block behind me just now. now it's going to be the block ahead of me for the second half of my shift. 😊

12 hours ago, Phillip said:

Yep, that was the block behind me just now. now it's going to be the block ahead of me for the second half of my shift. 😊

Why? In the current situation, they can't be short of serviceable trolleys, can they?

7 hours ago, martin607 said:

Why? In the current situation, they can't be short of serviceable trolleys, can they?

There shouldn’t be a trolley shortage, but switching a trolley out with a diesel is probably easier and quicker than if they were to switch with another trolley. At least that’s what I think considering all the switches and what not.

7 hours ago, martin607 said:

Likely just a swap from a previous trolley bus. Probably a mechanical issue and they pulled a garage bound bus to replace the trolley.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 3/17/2021 at 1:23 PM, Phillip said:

Likely just a swap from a previous trolley bus. Probably a mechanical issue and they pulled a garage bound bus to replace the trolley.

This is most likely what happened. When road changes are done involving garage-bound buses, typically T-Comm will just try to find whatever bus will be closest to the BO bus at the right time, no matter the type - as long as the bus is suitable for the run needing the bus change. A long time ago, when doing the 50 at about 1 am, I was asked to NIS from Keefer and Taylor (my final terminus before going NIS to VTC) to Pender and Seymour, to change with a #19 that had broken down. The trolley that had been on that run was not drivable, so the supervisor had to give me a ride back to the garage from downtown.

More recently, I had major transmission problems on an Orion going through Ladner while doing the 601. I knew that there was a 620 going out of service from Bridgeport at almost the same time that I was due to arrive there, but T-Comm instead had a mechanic meet me there with a fresh Orion from the yard, rather than let me do my final 351 trip with an artic. 

UNRELATED:

A few days ago, 9558 was on the 301 in the morning. What I thought was odd was that it didn't appear to be a replacement for one of the scheduled runs. The run number display showed 99, and both times I saw the bus, it was running in tandem with a double decker. Looked like it might have been an overload.

• Like 3

I just rode car 405, and somehow the sign programming got switched.  The interior sign was only displaying the destination (King George), while the exterior sign was scrolling "Next Station-Commercial-Broadway Terminus Station-King George"

• Haha 8
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Express691 said:

19415 was back in service/repaired late march 2021 according to an op's photo

Good as new!

Well, the dimmer switch for the left side interior lights is faulty, and the cashbox alarm was triggered by going over a bump on 72nd and the op couldn't reach in behind to unplug it because his hands are too big, so it was beeping non-stop all the way from Scottsdale to Brighouse...

But other than that, it's fine. 🤣

• Haha 3