Enviro 500

Vancouver general sightings and notes

17 hours ago, 9924 said:

If you switch depots during a consolidated sign up, you get a week of route training for your new depot.  If you get forced to a new depot or request a transfer, you’re on your own

Not entirely true. Operators who move to another depot by transfer request or are forced there (the latter scenario is rare except after completing initial training) do receive route training, but it isn't instructor led training. It's referred to as route allocation training, or RAT for short (my abbreviation, not the official company lingo 😂) , and it's really just self-study training. The depot staff will have a route book and a schedule prepared for you, and you simply ride in-service buses following that schedule. Depending on how many routes you need to learn, the RAT can be anywhere from three to five days, one day of which does consist of instructor-led training, during which time an instructor will conduct a depot orientation, vehicle characteristics training as well as route training for any routes that cannot be included in the RAT for any reason (usually NightBus, rush-hour only routes or special routings).

I've worked at three depots besides VTC. For two of those, I did RAT. The only reason I received full instructor-led training for BTC was a lucky coincidence of timing - I was forced there out of training, right in the middle of the summer consolidated route training sessions, so I (and most of my classmates) simply joined the cohort of operators that had signed up to transfer there in September.

When I transferred to HTC, I had to do the RAT a week after the rest of my cohort, because I had the week off and it was too late to change it, so the instructor-led day consisted of me joyriding around Burnaby in a D40LF with a senior instructor showing me all the best places to eat. :P 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

Not entirely true. Operators who move to another depot by transfer request or are forced there (the latter scenario is rare except after completing initial training) do receive route training, but it isn't instructor led training. It's referred to as route allocation training, or RAT for short (my abbreviation, not the official company lingo 😂) , and it's really just self-study training. The depot staff will have a route book and a schedule prepared for you, and you simply ride in-service buses following that schedule. Depending on how many routes you need to learn, the RAT can be anywhere from three to five days, one day of which does consist of instructor-led training, during which time an instructor will conduct a depot orientation, vehicle characteristics training as well as route training for any routes that cannot be included in the RAT for any reason (usually NightBus, rush-hour only routes or special routings).

I've worked at three depots besides VTC. For two of those, I did RAT. The only reason I received full instructor-led training for BTC was a lucky coincidence of timing - I was forced there out of training, right in the middle of the summer consolidated route training sessions, so I (and most of my classmates) simply joined the cohort of operators that had signed up to transfer there in September.

When I transferred to HTC, I had to do the RAT a week after the rest of my cohort, because I had the week off and it was too late to change it, so the instructor-led day consisted of me joyriding around Burnaby in a D40LF with a senior instructor showing me all the best places to eat. :P 

Lots of "transfers" get a route book and thats it.

15 minutes ago, Express691 said:

TransLink branded face mask giveaway:

Will these be available at the Translink Store after the giveaway.  I would love to have a couple of them. ETS is only giving away the disposable variety.

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

Will these be available at the Translink Store after the giveaway.  I would love to have a couple of them. ETS is only giving away the disposable variety.

According to plan, yes. However, that date is still up in the air.

1 hour ago, ThomasW97 said:

According to plan, yes. However, that date is still up in the air.

Excellent.  I have a few driver friends, but they have not been able to snag any masks for me.

I was at broadway station this morning rush between 9:15am and 9:45am.

Either the turnback shuttles between Broadway/Waterfront arent operating, or they don't operate as late. Still got a very good train frequency in the 10 minutes I was filming. ((A video on this will be uploaded on Wednesday)).

I think they're getting set to put the new platform arrival screens up on platforms 3 and 4. Saw some electricians on the roof doing something.

COVID cancellations resulted in a 19 short turn to Slocan from Metrotown on 2252 (the portion beyond is cancelled).

Granville Station escalators and an XDE60 displaying “Sign #9” at Joyce Station.

B3ED1894-3000-4627-9BBA-D8B9E488A88D.jpeg

7DFC07D3-9125-4D9E-AF0F-D510F698C9C8.jpeg

49C11245-A0B5-4146-BB05-00FD79038B0A.jpeg

3F14F6E5-2A1F-43EE-BBB0-ECDED274C411.jpeg

More conventional artics yesterday and today on the King George RapidBus — didn’t note the specific fleet #s. (Posted here because this is less of a “special sighting” and more of an “I told you this was going to happen! This is why you shouldn’t have bothered with separate artic sub-fleets!”)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GORDOOM said:

More conventional artics yesterday and today on the King George RapidBus — didn’t note the specific fleet #s. (Posted here because this is less of a “special sighting” and more of an “I told you this was going to happen! This is why you shouldn’t have bothered with separate artic sub-fleets!”)

But RapidBus is a unique brand and service that is completely different from the B-Line lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3