Enviro 500

Vancouver general sightings and notes

7 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Only Edmonton had their A/C units removed on their D40LFR's. May have been thinking about them. 

Just so everyone is clear, ETS did NOT remove A/C units from an entire order of D40LFR's.  A/C was not standard on ETS buses until the 2018 XD40 order, all the D40LFR orders from 2007 to 2012 arrived with no A/C, only the hybrid buses were delivered with A/C.  The only units that had A/C removed were DE40LFR's 6003 and 6004, which lost their A/C as part retrofitting the buses from hybrids to straight diesels.

• Like 4

I can't seem to find a questions thread for Translink so here's my question.

Why are the Mark IIs specs written in the CPTDB Wiki shows them being 12.7m long which is the same as the Mark Is?

Shouldn't they be same length as the Mark IIIs at 16.7m/17.35m?

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/British_Columbia_Rapid_Transit_Company_1100/1200_series

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/British_Columbia_Rapid_Transit_Company_1300/1400_series

3 hours ago, Orion V said:

I can't seem to find a questions thread for Translink so here's my question.

Why are the Mark IIs specs written in the CPTDB Wiki shows them being 12.7m long which is the same as the Mark Is?

Shouldn't they be same length as the Mark IIIs at 16.7m/17.35m?

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/British_Columbia_Rapid_Transit_Company_1100/1200_series

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/British_Columbia_Rapid_Transit_Company_1300/1400_series

The questions thread is a page back.

In any case, yes. Those numbers are incorrect.

===========

2 sets of PIDs now at Gateway, the 2nd set was installed sometime between this evening and monday evening.

Just saw four wrapped cars on flatbeds outside of Braid station — are they ours or someone else’s?

(posted here because I couldn’t tell exactly what they are under the wrapping)

6379350C-EC18-44A5-9F6F-94704DF531D7.jpeg

D00BE7A9-A4EB-49F2-B61E-DF284AF0E840.jpeg

61C673E9-6805-4D74-B0C9-E42BBBB7FE91.jpeg

7 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

Just saw four wrapped cars on flatbeds outside of Braid station — are they ours or someone else’s?

(posted here because I couldn’t tell exactly what they are under the wrapping)

6379350C-EC18-44A5-9F6F-94704DF531D7.jpeg

D00BE7A9-A4EB-49F2-B61E-DF284AF0E840.jpeg

61C673E9-6805-4D74-B0C9-E42BBBB7FE91.jpeg

Those would be the old cars by the amazon warehouse at braid station formerly occupied by a railroading preservation group

• Like 1

Question: 

Does TransLink have any "spare" or "extra" buses sitting in the garage during the morning and afternoon rush? 

5 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Question: 

Does TransLink have any "spare" or "extra" buses sitting in the garage during the morning and afternoon rush? 

As a whole, spare ratio works out to around 18%.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 3:54 PM, Express691 said:

formerly occupied by a railroading preservation group

Formerly? Any idea where they're headed or what their history is? I remember seeing those back in 2013 or so and wondering why VIA was storing its old stock here when most of its older cars still in service were in Northern Manitoba on the Keewatin Railway (I'm aware they are used all over North America on tourist railways). Also, some of those look like they are clerestory cars, which I don't remember seeing there - the old blue-and-yellow VIA cars that were stored there were lightweights. 

7 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Formerly? Any idea where they're headed or what their history is? I remember seeing those back in 2013 or so and wondering why VIA was storing its old stock here when most of its older cars still in service were in Northern Manitoba on the Keewatin Railway (I'm aware they are used all over North America on tourist railways). Also, some of those look like they are clerestory cars, which I don't remember seeing there - the old blue-and-yellow VIA cars that were stored there were lightweights. 

Might want to double check on this, but this was likely the work of the National Railway Historic Society - BC chapter. 

14 hours ago, Express691 said:

National Railway Historic Society - BC chapter. 

A bit of Googling and roundabout reasoning has led me down a bizarre rabbit hole. NHRS was evicted from the premises a while back, involving the removal of the cars in the photo (clerestory). I cannot find any reference to the old VIA Rail cars that were at one time located alongside the warehouse, but since in Google Maps 3D they are stored attached to and with the same "packaging" as the clerestory cars, I would have to assume they were similarly owned by the NHRS. Unfortunately, since 2017, I can't find any trace of them. I would love to know where they are going. The NHRS definitely doesn't win awards for transparency, their website is practically unnavigable. 

Edit: Apparently it was just one more page in the Google search further and I would have found my answer... here it is.

A summary of what is happening to the coaches:

• They have been sold to the Heber Valley Railway, starts in Heber City, Utah, and runs along the Deer Creek Reservoir and the Provo River.
  • Canadian Pacific has purchased three of coaches to use as spare parts for their business fleet.
  • The order of departure from the warehouse is as follows (mostly quoted directly from the link above): Coach 803 (Ex CP Colonist Car 2806), Mount Cascade (Ex SP Observation Lounge 2914), 301 (Ex CNoR Combine 7244), and Lake Ontario (Ex CP Sleeper-Buffet Lounge “Lake Ontario”).
  • Frankly, looking through the new articles about the NRHS BC Chapter's handling of the situation over the last two decades I'm not impressed and I'm glad they are going somewhere where someone responsible can look after them.
  • Like 2

P14016, Route 169 must have had some sort of malfunction. Watch Youtube video posted by a dashcammer. Starts at 3:52. 

IDK if its ever been this fast, but the speed of EB trains under the viaducts is now somewhere around 65kph and 70kph. I could feel that there was a difference in speed.

Way back before the NIMBYs in the towers got their way, the trains went full speed (80+ kph) under the viaducts, and over the switch outside Main Street, and it was quite the experience.

• Like 3

Saw a 2016 XD40 on the 250A display Dundarave via Park Royal, not sure if the destination sign programming has been updated or if a driver just put in a code for it to say that.

5 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

9627 is equipped with some sort of new screen for the driver (I think it’s the one that tells the driver when to depart).

Attached is new ‘please depart now’ sound. 

2D25FE4E-4543-4952-BE62-A514D9929296.MOV

It's called a TMAC, and every 2019 XDE60 has one, a few of the 2018s, the Battery Electric Buses, the Decker and  few units around the system

1 hour ago, popillil said:

It's called a TMAC, and every 2019 XDE60 has one, a few of the 2018s, the Battery Electric Buses, the Decker and  few units around the system

The old tmac isn't produced anymore. This is i believe the upgraded version. Of course they needed new ones for the large fleet they got now (smaller size when they first got the tmac)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popillil said:

It's called a TMAC

Named after the person who invented it, Trayvon MacIntyre. :P 

• Haha 1