Enviro 500

Vancouver general sightings and notes

Just saw R15020 with a driver barrier 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 4:56 PM, Opal said:

I mentioned this in the transfer thread because in my mind it's related to that as well, but what's the point of the transfer then if they couldn't use them for a time when they need non-trolleys?  Seems counter-intuitive.  Although they didn't do this when they had the 12000s either, so I guess VTC just doesn't know how to do that.  Example, although many of the 12000s were used on the 49, there were 28 buses there - only 12 or so were used on weekends, so instead of deploying them on the 3, 8, 10, or 20 when they needed non-trolleys, they'd leave the extras sitting in the yard while they stuck 40-footers on the other artic routes.  Doubt they'd do that with the 49...  I know there aren't "enough" of them, but if it's just one route (like it was yesterday and again today), just deploy as many as possible and then fill in with 40-footers.  They would have known about these detours enough in advance to assign a track for them the night before...

I agree with the 44 and 480 comments - never understood why either of these routes were NOT at VTC, since VTC can handle artics.

The problem is quite simply that there is not enough space at VTC. When the yard is at capacity, it becomes difficult to "assign a track" for a specific subset of buses the night before a given bookout, because there aren't any free tracks that don't already have buses on them. When the 49 was first operated with artics out of VTC, the tracks that were used to park the 12000s on were the ones that were previously used to stage diesel buses coming back to the yard late at night. As a result, incoming diesels returning to VTC between about 2100 and the end of service were often instructed to park "at the bus stop" - the mockup platform that is located along the fence between the main yard and the west annex. This could result in buses lined up along the fence and situations of just "park wherever there's space!"

VTC has been at or close to capacity for a very long time now. When the yard is almost full, there is very little wiggle room to park buses where you want to.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2019 at 2:59 AM, dover5949 said:

I don't understand why CMBC does not make use of the auxiliary power on the trolley's & instead would rather place diesel's on the routes instead? When I was in San Francisco this spring 2 trolley routes were on detour due to road construction. These 2 routes still kept the trolleys on the route & we went several miles on auxiliary power still keeping up with the posted speed limit & no pole pullers either.

On 8/12/2019 at 4:08 AM, Michael Marriott said:

The XT's in Seattle and San Francisco have newer generation batteries that give a longer range, and allow higher speed.  They also allow auxiliary systems, most importantly the air compressor, to operate when the bus is in battery mode.

It does make me wonder whether there is any scope for retrofitting (some at least of) the current fleet of trolleybuses with Lithium Ion batteries as in the XT40 and XT60 used in Seattle and San Francisco.

Points for consideration both positive and negative:

- Cost. A small battery pack allowing say 10 km off wire flexibility would cost how much? $100,000? Any one know?

- engineering. The XT40/60 was obviously designed to be capable of carrying the weight of the batteries. Does the E40/E60 LFR have similar structural strength to carry the weight of a Lithium Ion battery pack?  

- Given the current fleet has a further life of between 8 to 10 years maximum, wouldn't the ability to avoid  making special diesel substitutions for detours/ special events pay for the investment over the remaining life of the vehicles?

6 hours ago, martin607 said:

Given the current [trolleybus] fleet has a further life of between 8 to 10 years maximum, wouldn't the ability to avoid  making special diesel substitutions for detours/ special events pay for the investment over the remaining life of the vehicles? [emphasis mine]

But is that necessarily true? TransLink has been assuming a lifespan of 20 years for the ExxLFR fleet (compared to 17 years for diesel/CNG coaches), but how are the trolleys actually holding up? TransLink’s assumptions for diesel coaches have proven more conservative than needed, and the E40LFRs in particular had a fairly high spare ratio for a few years.

14 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

But is that necessarily true? TransLink has been assuming a lifespan of 20 years for the ExxLFR fleet (compared to 17 years for diesel/CNG coaches), but how are the trolleys actually holding up? TransLink’s assumptions for diesel coaches have proven more conservative than needed, and the E40LFRs in particular had a fairly high spare ratio for a few years.

Weren't there external factors that in part caused that high spare ratio? Translink exercised an option for an extra 34 articulated trolleybuses, which were delivered in 2009. The knock on effect was that some 40 footers were displaced but there was at least one period of recession. So passenger demand and service increases didn't absorb the surplus of 40 footers until more recently. Initially the extra order may have been criticised, but in the long term it will have helped to meet increased passenger demand in recent years.

Aren't we told that there are no spare E40LFRs available for the 41 until some are displaced off the 9 when the Sky Train construction works begin on Broadway?

That said, I'm open to any information on reliability issues.

9 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

Trolleys are holding up pretty good. Only now are they starting to go through their first set of brake pad replacement. But I've also heard due to the small spare ratios, and trying to make book outs, some trolleys that require a service are being stretched. And also not enough man power to go through the trolleys for their maintenance services. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently on Mark III car 405 - looks like they screwed up the signs when reprogramming them. The interior sign says "King George" while the exterior one says "Next station - X. Terminus station - King George." 408 on the opposite end is ok, with the interior showing the updated next/terminus station and exterior just saying "King George".

IMG_20190818_141317.jpg

IMG_20190818_141328.jpg

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, briguychau said:

Currently on Mark III car 405 - looks like they screwed up the signs when reprogramming them. The interior sign says "King George" while the exterior one says "Next station - X. Terminus station - King George." 408 on the opposite end is ok, with the interior showing the updated next/terminus station and exterior just saying "King George".

IMG_20190818_141317.jpg

Only 2015 set with updated programming thus far (I believe the reprogramming was first spotted in May)

Didnt know about this error until now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

I saw at least 2 40 ft buses on the 96 b line yesterday; although both 15005 and 15013 are back

I saw 18102 and 18114 on the route today... Pretty crowded in there.

On 8/11/2019 at 4:56 PM, Opal said:

I mentioned this in the transfer thread because in my mind it's related to that as well, but what's the point of the transfer then if they couldn't use them for a time when they need non-trolleys?  Seems counter-intuitive.  Although they didn't do this when they had the 12000s either, so I guess VTC just doesn't know how to do that.  Example, although many of the 12000s were used on the 49, there were 28 buses there - only 12 or so were used on weekends, so instead of deploying them on the 3, 8, 10, or 20 when they needed non-trolleys, they'd leave the extras sitting in the yard while they stuck 40-footers on the other artic routes.  Doubt they'd do that with the 49...  I know there aren't "enough" of them, but if it's just one route (like it was yesterday and again today), just deploy as many as possible and then fill in with 40-footers.  They would have known about these detours enough in advance to assign a track for them the night before...

This is simply a management problem.
As in ... where are the middle managers that are supposed to be keeping an eye on this stuff?

CMBC and Translink has suffered from these issues for years... literally whole batches of middle managers have turned over and these issues are not getting better. When I was in Vancouver a couple weekends ago for my first "Series 50 Free" visit, ever, I could not believe seeing the 40ft Novas out on the 20, while the diesel artics were interspersed on the 3. 

That's just bad management. 

And yes @MCW Metrobus I did see your comment below about yard space and do acknowledge that issue is a hinderance to the efficient bookout of coaches, but come on, there has to be a solution. Other agencies with jam packed yards manage to get around this problem and put the right equipment out every day on their assignments, why can't CMBC?

It seems CMBC may have found a way to better manage the XDE60's at VTC.  On Saturday, the 8 had a detour that only lasted until 7am.  All 8 blocks that came out before 730 had 18000's, with later blocks getting E60LFR's. And there were no 18000's on the 3, 10 or 20.  There's likely now enough XDE60's at VTC that they can get their own lane.

1 hour ago, Evan Hancock said:

It wasn't a glitch; was it?

I got on that train. I didn't go all the way, but I'm 95% sure it went all the way to VCC-Clark. I don't think it was a glitch because the M-Line had the stuck train near Holdom yesterday so they probably wanted to send some longer trains there (even temporarily) to alleviate crowds.

• Like 1

VTC operated the 16 PNE shuttles today. Not too sure if it’ll just be “free Tuesday PNE admission only specials” or if it’ll happen on other days as well. 

AFF9A000-BC97-48B0-8AAD-1FD290FE3448.jpeg

ECF86F2F-0ABA-4447-8D20-21284F5C1C98.jpeg

484A7EC3-2C88-4AF9-A2D5-BFE40627BE35.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KINGSTER200 said:

VTC operated the 16 PNE shuttles today. Not too sure if it’ll just be “free Tuesday PNE admission” or if it’ll happen on other days as well. 

Yeah today was strange as far as the shuttles are concerned. VTC sent 18010 and 18015 while BTC sent 8119 and 19018, all as overloads. 8104 also made a random appearance running as some sort of PoCo special.

It is understood that all the PNE shuttles are under linegroup 027 and operated at BTC, which adds to today's confusion.

20 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

I just saw a Novabus on the 99 B line. Currently just finished a trip to Boundary

That's a normal thing now, one of the 40-foot AM trips on the 44 UBC turns into the 99 Boundary returning to BTC. Why not just make it an artic block? Because that would make sense.

• Confused 1