Enviro 500

Vancouver general sightings and notes

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:42 PM, Translink69 said:

7280 is a whistle machine.

Worth a ride before it is retired.

What's a whistle machine?

45 minutes ago, FlyingPig said:

A bus that makes a whistling sound when it's being driven.

1 hour ago, FlyingPig said:

When you can hear either the fan belt squealing when you take off, the turbo whistling on take off, or the fan itself when driving. 

12 hours ago, Express691 said:

TransLink has won APTA System of 2019.

Now, will they plaster stickers all over buses like last time?

Just now, Translink69 said:

Now, will they plaster stickers all over buses like last time?

Past winner Toronto put it onto their subways, for one.

After five years of being closed, the NB Commercial Drive farside Broadway stop for the 20 has reopened.  Frustratingly, this means the NB 20 will once again have a stop on both sides of Broadway, even though the route worked fine with only the 10 Ave stop for years.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Evan Hancock said:

R16221 currently on extra 351 trip for some reason. On it right now; but it’s not showing on tcomm nor is the stop announcements and display workong

Extra overload trip for Celebration of Light.

1 hour ago, Evan Hancock said:

R16221 currently on extra 351 trip for some reason. On it right now; but it’s not showing on tcomm nor is the stop announcements and display workong

Where did you get on?

I love the wrap! You don't really see pink buses, and it really makes the bus pop. The regular Blue/Gray can get kinda boring. 

24 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I love the wrap! You don't really see pink buses, and it really makes the bus pop. The regular Blue/Gray can get kinda boring. 

There are orange, white and various blue/black wraps for these. Also a purplish one for Endy Mattresses, pretty cool. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

Anyone know why the 008's have diesel's on today? I don't understand why the 7 18000's can't be assigned to the run today? 

There's watermain work going on at Fraser and 12th today.  As for why the 18000's aren't on the 8; my guess would be how the 18000's at VTC are being parked and deployed.  Given that they show up on random blocks on the 3, 8, 10 and 20, it seems likely that VTC is simply parking the 18000's in the artic trolley tracks and booking them out as if they were extra artic trolleys, going out on whatever run is next when they are the first bus in the lane, rather than having a dedicated lane for parking the XDE60's.  Since the 18000's wind up randomly parked among the artic trolleys, it would not be possible to assign them all to one specific route.  It would be nice if VTC would give the 18000's their own track so that there would be a lane readily avaliable to cover weekend detours on the 3, 8 or 20, but you would need a few more XDE60's at VTC to have enough to fill an entire lane.  

Of course, if I had my way, I would shuffle routes to assign the 44 and 480 to VTC, so that there would be some diesel artics avaliable to cover weekend reroutes of the 3, 8 and 20.

4 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

There's watermain work going on at Fraser and 12th today.  As for why the 18000's aren't on the 8; my guess would be how the 18000's at VTC are being parked and deployed.  Given that they show up on random blocks on the 3, 8, 10 and 20, it seems likely that VTC is simply parking the 18000's in the artic trolley tracks and booking them out as if they were extra artic trolleys, going out on whatever run is next when they are the first bus in the lane, rather than having a dedicated lane for parking the XDE60's.  Since the 18000's wind up randomly parked among the artic trolleys, it would not be possible to assign them all to one specific route.  It would be nice if VTC would give the 18000's their own track so that there would be a lane readily avaliable to cover weekend detours on the 3, 8 or 20, but you would need a few more XDE60's at VTC to have enough to fill an entire lane.  

Of course, if I had my way, I would shuffle routes to assign the 44 and 480 to VTC, so that there would be some diesel artics avaliable to cover weekend reroutes of the 3, 8 and 20.

I mentioned this in the transfer thread because in my mind it's related to that as well, but what's the point of the transfer then if they couldn't use them for a time when they need non-trolleys?  Seems counter-intuitive.  Although they didn't do this when they had the 12000s either, so I guess VTC just doesn't know how to do that.  Example, although many of the 12000s were used on the 49, there were 28 buses there - only 12 or so were used on weekends, so instead of deploying them on the 3, 8, 10, or 20 when they needed non-trolleys, they'd leave the extras sitting in the yard while they stuck 40-footers on the other artic routes.  Doubt they'd do that with the 49...  I know there aren't "enough" of them, but if it's just one route (like it was yesterday and again today), just deploy as many as possible and then fill in with 40-footers.  They would have known about these detours enough in advance to assign a track for them the night before...

I agree with the 44 and 480 comments - never understood why either of these routes were NOT at VTC, since VTC can handle artics.

6 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

I don't understand why CMBC does not make use of the auxiliary power on the trolley's & instead would rather place diesel's on the routes instead? When I was in San Francisco this spring 2 trolley routes were on detour due to road construction. These 2 routes still kept the trolleys on the route & we went several miles on auxiliary power still keeping up with the posted speed limit & no pole pullers either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dover5949 said:

I don't understand why CMBC does not make use of the auxiliary power on the trolley's & instead would rather place diesel's on the routes instead? When I was in San Francisco this spring 2 trolley routes were on detour due to road construction. These 2 routes still kept the trolleys on the route & we went several miles on auxiliary power still keeping up with the posted speed limit & no pole pullers either.

The XT's in Seattle and San Francisco have newer generation batteries that give a longer range, and allow higher speed.  They also allow auxiliary systems, most importantly the air compressor, to operate when the bus is in battery mode.

• Like 3