Enviro 500

Vancouver general sightings and notes

Just now, Thomasw said:

That would actually make a lot of sense. 

Looking at what busses of active now on the very inaccurate T-Comm and the fact I borded the bus at 7:28ish at 41st it was probably 2529

Given that the buses/blocks on tcomm right are from a couple days ago, probably not 😆

Just now, ThatBusGuy said:

Given that the buses/blocks on tcomm right are from a couple days ago, probably not 😆

Yeah I just figured that one out. 😆

I wonder if there is a way of knowing what E*0LFRs have poles that can break the ice 

That yellow card would be your indicator that the bus is equipped with ice cutters.  It's a special harps head which is the part that makes contact with the wire and holds the carbons to take in the power.  These buses are usually booked out on the longest all day runs or runs that leave the yard for pm rush and stay out late.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

That yellow card would be your indicator that the bus is equipped with ice cutters.  It's a special harps head which is the part that makes contact with the wire and holds the carbons to take in the power.  These buses are usually booked out on the longest all day runs or runs that leave the yard for pm rush and stay out late.

I'm guessing these must be the milder versions of the deicing trucks (if they're still around) or the TRAMS deicing bus.

• Like 1

Here comes the "Blame TransLink for anything and everything" crowd...

The news article never mentioned whether the de-icing vehicles were simply put in storage or had other duties during the rest of the year. Given that TransLink likes to make the most of what it has, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a second off-season purpose.

40 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

Here comes the "Blame TransLink for anything and everything" crowd...

The news article never mentioned whether the de-icing vehicles were simply put in storage or had other duties during the rest of the year. Given that TransLink likes to make the most of what it has, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a second off-season purpose.

That’s actually precisely why TransLink bought ordinary flatbed trucks and strapped the de-icer gear onto the bed. This was actually discussed when the first modern de-icer trucks were procured, early in the life of the E40LFR fleet. (Their first winter, 1109 was pressed back into non-revenue use as a de-icer truck.)