Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

I read the news not long ago saying that all runs on #99 are using 60-foot buses.

Yes, there are quite a few Novas on #135. I was up there (SFU) this afternoon. There was a mixture of D40LFs, D60LFs and Novas on this route. Since some of the runs change to #145 when they arrive SFU, the artics were on #145 by the time you were in Downtown. (#145 is full most of the day. I had to board the second bus at 7:10pm and it was still full...I boarded the bus at SFU Exchange, so imagine the people who were waiting at the second and third stop...)

Someone posted a pic of a GM (or MCI) classic that used to be a CNG.

Most of the classics had 6v92 engines - Was the CNG a 6v92 converted?

How did they do that? The 6v92 is a 2 stroke diesel...

Anybody have any insight into this?

Jeff

Someone posted a pic of a GM (or MCI) classic that used to be a CNG.

Most of the classics had 6v92 engines - Was the CNG a 6v92 converted?

How did they do that? The 6v92 is a 2 stroke diesel...

Anybody have any insight into this?

As far as I can recall, the engine in the MCI Classics that ran on CNG was a "6V92TAG", so it would have been a completely different engine.

There was a certificate on the visor inside B4185 from Stewart & Stevenson, if that's any indicator.

Anyhow, for today's news:

- R3155 is back in service after several months out of action. It worked 3/490 (049) today.

- B7391 had to get a tow from UBC this afternoon:

7391towyt3.jpg

Continuing on with the BO streak at UBC, B8017 was hooked up to a tow truck SB Wesbrook Mall at University Blvd (right in the left turn lane). Also B3005 had an orange hazard triangle at the rear inside the UBC loop (I'm assuming that's a BO since normally no drivers would do that when taking recovery). Both sightings were around 8:30pm

R8068 broke down today on SB Granville at 49th, I spotted it sitting there at 7:30 pm and by 1 am it had still not been picked up.

RTC seems to like putting ad-wrapped buses on the runs of the 98 that do the N17. Two nights ago I rode R8089 on the N17 from 20/098, tonight I rode that same bus on 25/098, while R8055 was on 09/098!

R8068 broke down today on SB Granville at 49th, I spotted it sitting there at 7:30 pm and by 1 am it had still not been picked up.

RTC seems to like putting ad-wrapped buses on the runs of the 98 that do the N17. Two nights ago I rode R8089 on the N17 from 20/098, tonight I rode that same bus on 25/098, while R8055 was on 09/098!

They want drunkards who have lost their sense to spend money and buy stuff when they're still in zombie mode ;)

Dave

As far as I can recall, the engine in the MCI Classics that ran on CNG was a "6V92TAG", so it would have been a completely different engine.

Do you know if it was straight CNG or Westport's CNG conversion with pilot diesel injection. I'm not sure how long they've been doing that for, but it lets you keep the 2 stroke diesel cycle, and just injects nat gas into the cylinder after a small amount of diesel has been.

I found a westport document on google that mentions that they'd tested it with the 6V92, and don't really see how else they could've converted a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke, since 2 strokes lack intake valves.

Jeff

Also, nothing special (perfect for this thread <_< ) but I decided to mention this. Well people have been seeing Orion V's at Scott Road Stn. on a regular basis. Well I was at Scott Road Stn. yesterday and what happens to pull in? S9267 NIS. He came in loaded up as a 640 Ladner Exch. So I decide to go for a little ride, after discussing with the driver he informed me he just did a 311 before this 640. He also let me take a look at the paddle and I found out that run 99/311 does a 311 to Scottsdale, then NIS to Scott Road Stn. then a 640 to Ladner and back. So just so no one gets all excited for an Orion on the 640 I just thought I'd mention this. Now I decided to look back on some other photos I got of RTC V's at Scott Road Stn. and the times and run numbers from the old RTC 640 trippers match up with the STC 640 trippers. So when the 311 moved to STC so did these trippers.

Anyways sorry for the paragraph and here's the photo taken at Ladner Exchange.

http://metrovanbuses.fotopic.net/p45777258.html

And another photo but with a RTC V at Scott Road Stn. taken back during the summer

http://metrovanbuses.fotopic.net/p44988773.html