Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

Coming from Malaysia - Bombardier ART LIM trains involved in collision, dozens injured, suspected miscommunication

Report is due in 2 weeks.

Minister: First accident of its kind in the system's 23 years of operation

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/2-lrt-trains-collide-kuala-lumpur-injured-klcc-kelana-jaya-14877466

This is from Malaysia's The Star:

"The driver from the train that was being tested was also injured in the incident.

"All the injured victims were taken to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital and other nearby hospitals for medical treatment," he told reporters at the scene.

He said the train carrying 213 passengers was headed from Gombak toward Kampung Baru.

"The other train was undergoing a test drive when the collision occurred.

"The train that was being tested should not have been on the same track with the train that was travelling from Gombak," he said adding that the case was being investigated under Section 201 of the Land Public Transportation Act 2010.

Huge numbers for injuries, with 210 people injured; however, the incident was a result of human error. The ops centre sent a manually driven empty test train onto the wrong track, where it seems to have driven into the in-service train.

There still hasn't been an incident in more than 35 years on systems based on this tech, where both trains were in driverless mode.

• Like 1

I have a few contacts in Malaysia that pointed me to the right sources for details. I found this graphic on English-language Malaysian media:

Train-accident-2-1.jpg

At approximately 8.30pm, trains 181 and 240 leave the KLCC and Kampung Baru stations, respectively, headed in opposite directions.

Train 181 was ferrying 213 passengers and had been travelling at a speed of 40kph.

Meanwhile, train 240 was empty except for an operator who was manually driving the train to Gombak for maintenance. It was travelling at 20kph.

Last night’s LRT head-on collision: How it happened - Free Malaysia Today

According to The Star the KJL has resumed service today, with the affected segment single tracking while there is a clean-up as well as "sanitization to prevent the spread of COVID-19". There is apparently little or no damage to the tracks, which will permit full resumption of ops in just 3 days. (Kelana Jaya LRT line resumes operation - The Star)

---

There is also a discussion thread on Lowyat (a popular online forum used by Malaysians) which I am using to source the latest info. A lot of people on this thread believe that the emergency brakes on one or both of the trains were functional, and that the damage would have been worse without them. Meaning that the automated control system likely reduced the severity of the crash versus if both trains were being manually driven.

Per a news report, according to one passenger who was on board, train 181 (the Mark 3 with the passengers on board) did in fact emergency brake prior to the collision, and had either slowed down significantly or was completely stationary when it was hit by train 240. (LRT Passenger Tweets About Accident - Rojak Daily)

Lastly, in the Lowyat thread there was a picture posted of the empty train (Train 240, the Mark 2) showing that it sustained far more damage than the one with the passengers.

Train 240 (Mark 2, empty/manually driven): driver console is completely destroyed.

B0mec1.jpg

Train 181 (Mark 3, 213 passengers aboard) (left image): driver console is still on and displaying "0" km/h!

kelana-jaya-line-lrt-collision.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

A major update on the KL Incident from The Star:

LRT train mishap: Accident due to human error, says Transport Minister

PETALING JAYA: A preliminary investigation has found that the collision of two LRT trains on the Kelana Jaya line is due to negligence, says Transport Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong.

... the accident was due to the negligence of the driver who was manually driving train 40, which had no passengers at the time.

"It was due to the mistake by the person driving the train in the wrong direction," he said during a live press conference via Zoom on Tuesday (May 25).

Dr Wee explained that the initial Land Public Transport Agency investigation found that Train 40 was supposed to head on the southbound line towards the Dang Wangi station, but it headed on the northbound line towards the Gombak depot instead.

"This caused Train 40 and Train 81 to collide, ” he added.

Dr Wee said Train 40 was manually driven by a "hostler" (train driver) because the automatic system in the coach was found to be faulty.

"The driver was then ordered to manually drive the coach from the Kampung Baru station towards the Dang Wangi station.

He added that at the same time, Train 81 was operating automatically when it was carrying passengers and was heading southbound towards Kampung Baru at 8.40pm from KLCC after receiving information that Train 40 was heading towards the Dang Wangi station.

"At 8.33pm, the hostler called the command centre and informed that Train 40 had collided with another train and at 8.37pm, the hostler from Train 40 identified Train 81 as the train it crashed into, carrying 213 passengers."

So the driver of the manually-driven train (Train 40) quite literally went into the wrong side of the train and began driving it the wrong way, opposite of the direction which he was instructed to go... ?‍♂️

One thing I'm going to add but if y'all have ever seen a map of the KL system, the segment where the collision occurred between KLCC and Kampang Baru is in a tunnel with sharp grades and curves (check out a YouTube video if y'all are curious). If a train coming for you is around the corner, there are no clear sightlines.

• Like 1

Looks like the new next bus departure signs being installed along Main St are the same as the ones used on RapidBus, which is somewhat unfortunate because I liked being able to read upcoming departures on either side of the display instead of just one side.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 7:37 AM, 8010 said:

Looks like the new next bus departure signs being installed along Main St are the same as the ones used on RapidBus, which is somewhat unfortunate because I liked being able to read upcoming departures on either side of the display instead of just one side.

Just looked at the “Real-time Information Display Retirement” section, looks like only Main Street Station, South Surrey Park & Ride, and Carvolth Exchange are getting the new displays while the rest of the stops along Main Street (and I guess the SB stop on Hwy 99 @ Steveston Hwy) will have their displays permanently retired.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18039 on the 701 today and it looks like the only D60LFR out right now is 8106, which means PTC has 13 D60LFRs doing nothing while some people travelling along Lougheed will probably be confused when their “RapidBus” turns onto Harris Rd since quite a bit of people in Metro Van (including long-time residents) can’t seem to figure out our fairly simplistic transit network, whether it’s route numbers, route destinations and destination signs, etc.

I think some of us on this forum could do a much better job when it comes to book-outs and fleet management lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, 8010 said:

18039 on the 701 today and it looks like the only D60LFR out right now is 8106, which means PTC has 13 D60LFRs doing nothing while some people travelling along Lougheed will probably be confused when their “RapidBus” turns onto Harris Rd since quite a bit of people in Metro Van (including long-time residents) can’t seem to figure out our fairly simplistic transit network, whether it’s route numbers, route destinations and destination signs, etc.

I think some of us on this forum could do a much better job when it comes to book-outs and fleet management lol

I saw 19014 on the 99 a few days ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phillip said:

I saw 19014 on the 99 a few days ago.

The 99 makes slightly more sense IMO because the RapidBus branding originated from the B-Line branding and the 99 is a frequent express route with all-door boarding, unlike the 701, but it still doesn’t make any sense to me when they probably have more spare artics with routes like the 44 and 143 not operating and after a year of RapidBus they still can’t maintain consistency when it comes to the branding. 

I’m genuinely still annoyed that we still don’t have all-door boarding on our conventional buses that have more than one set of doors. There are Compass Validators at the back doors on most if not all the two and three-door buses in the fleet and majority of people using transit have Compass cards.

3 hours ago, 8010 said:

I’m genuinely still annoyed that we still don’t have all-door boarding on our conventional buses that have more than one set of doors. There are Compass Validators at the back doors on most if not all the two and three-door buses in the fleet and majority of people using transit have Compass cards.

I would think that all-door boarding would lead to overall higher dwell times at stops that don't have high ridership, since all the doors have to open and close even if it's just one passenger getting on or off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zortan said:

I would think that all-door boarding would lead to overall higher dwell times at stops that don't have high ridership, since all the doors have to open and close even if it's just one passenger getting on or off.

That could be a disadvantage overall, which is why my compromise would be to do it at major intersections or select busy stops (like Langara Station on the 49). However, that will most likely confuse passengers and have people queuing up for the rear doors at front-door only stops. It just seems like a complete waste of money to me that they would install Compass validators at the rear doors and not use them aside from the few days of snow we have a year and the artics need to be switched out.

11 hours ago, Zortan said:

Very insignificant.

======

At this rate I'm convinced the TL Governing body is over-evaluating losses from fare evasion. That or they don't want too much bumping into one another at the stop when it gets busy when it comes to 40-footers (which I admit is not a good argument at all).

3 hours ago, Express691 said:

Very insignificant.

======

At this rate I'm convinced the TL Governing body is over-evaluating losses from fare evasion. That or they don't want too much bumping into one another at the stop when it gets busy when it comes to 40-footers (which I admit is not a good argument at all).

I believe the original intent of the rear door validators was for the dumb idea of tapping off the bus back when they still wanted zones for the buses before everybody hated the idea, which begs the question as to why any 40-footer put into service after post-Compass launch was given rear-door validators (I know that’s not what they’re called, I can’t remember what they’re called at the moment). Anyone know if the deckers have validators at the rear doors? I’ve taken them twice but I never paid attention to the bottom deck aside from the push-bars and the ceiling I hit my head on.

3 hours ago, 8010 said:

I believe the original intent of the rear door validators was for the dumb idea of tapping off the bus back when they still wanted zones for the buses before everybody hated the idea, which begs the question as to why any 40-footer put into service after post-Compass launch was given rear-door validators (I know that’s not what they’re called, I can’t remember what they’re called at the moment). Anyone know if the deckers have validators at the rear doors? I’ve taken them twice but I never paid attention to the bottom deck aside from the push-bars and the ceiling I hit my head on.

There are times where people hop on at the back and tap, sometimes the front one is borked, sometimes to speed things up, an operator will let people know to tap at the back, which I have seen happen multiple times.

If you look at the FTN map, you can clearly tell that they just recoloured the 239 green as the “R2” is shown to travel along Chesterfield Ave rather than Forbes Ave, plus it ends at Purcell Way rather than Phibbs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Express691 said:

New west platform 2 is undergoing an RFP for platform extensions

https://service.ariba.com/Discovery.aw/124996033/aw?awh=r&awssk=Q_XUXq7w&awrdt=1#b0

Some shelter extensions (at least for Platform 1, can’t remember if Platform 2 is fully-sheltered) would be nice as well. I’m not sure why some station platforms aren’t fully sheltered considering we live in the rain-capital of Canada and last I checked wet, slippery platforms are a safety hazard.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 12:07 PM, Express691 said:

Coming from Malaysia - Bombardier ART LIM trains involved in collision, dozens injured, suspected miscommunication

Report is due in 2 weeks.

Minister: First accident of its kind in the system's 23 years of operation

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/2-lrt-trains-collide-kuala-lumpur-injured-klcc-kelana-jaya-14877466

Said report

https://www.mot.gov.my/en/Announcement/PRESS RELEASE YBM - 24 MAY 2021 KELANA JAYA LRT COLLISION REPORT - 10062021.pdf

2 hours ago, Express691 said:

Heard of stacked signs:

41 (41st Avenue)

128 (8th Avenue)

406 (Railway) (Finally...)

323 (128th Street)

229 (Lonsdale Ave)

228 (Grand Blvd)

229 would be kinda confusing though, since the 230 also runs primarily on Lonsdale (and combines with 229 up to 29th for the FTN designation for Lonsdale)