Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

2 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

Over at 144 St & 64 Ave around 20 minutes ago i just saw an 18000 series (xde60) on the 342 heading towards Langley. 

For training? Idk. Because the 12:20 pm ish 342 was almost directly behind it! 

Also it's not showing on tcomm?

Aha! I knew I heard the sound of a BAE XDE60 decelerating into the stop at the end of my street (up the road from where you were) but didn't see it, so thanks for confirming that I wasn't hearing things! When I checked T-comm I noticed that the bus that was supposed to do the previously scheduled run was sitting in STC (broke down maybe?) so I think the artic was an overload trip to clear the line up at Newton from the missed departure.

22 hours ago, Express691 said:

Thank God!

Not sure why Express691 gave me a confused emoji on this.  Pretty simple,  60 ft bus with only 25 people ain't sustainable, period.  Last I checked, Translink is bleeding quite a bit of money, they need all the revenue they can get in order to keep things running.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, 9924 said:

Who's gonna enforce that?

Drivers, transit police, etc. There are people, they just have to do it as part of their jobs to help the public stay safe. It's not like it would be difficult to enforce; people are either wearing the mask (properly) or they aren't.

Studies are showing that blocking seats on buses does just about zero to stop the spread. On the other hand, enforcing masks is the most effective thing there is. In Taiwan, for example, masks are mandatory and while trains are packed, it has an incredibly low infection rate.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zortan said:

Drivers, transit police, etc. There are people, they just have to do it as part of their jobs to help the public stay safe. It's not like it would be difficult to enforce; people are either wearing the mask (properly) or they aren't.

Studies are showing that blocking seats on buses does just about zero to stop the spread. On the other hand, enforcing masks is the most effective thing there is. In Taiwan, for example, masks are mandatory and while trains are packed, it has an incredibly low infection rate.

To my knowledge drivers are technically not allowed to do much enforcement on anything mainly for the safety of themselves and the passengers, and we definitely don't have enough transit security/police to monitor everything. However, I do agree that masks should be mandatory. Once the passenger volumes start going up my transit use is going down even more than what it's been the last couple months.

• Like 3

Was there ever a reason why the first batch of L-drive Novas came with push-bars and sensors to open the rear doors? It could've been a mistake but I find it interesting that they are the only buses in the fleet that have that. After I found that out a couple years back I never touched the push-bars on those things ever again.

5 hours ago, Zortan said:

"Drivers":  Yeah, don't think so.

"Transit Police":  How many are out there?  You don't think they have more important things to do?

"Not be difficult to enforce":  You see all those buses that have barriers to protect the drivers from assault?  Do you understand why they're there?  If you think a driver is gonna risk getting assaulted because of someone not wearing a mask, think again.

Don't care what they're doing in Taiwan, we're not in Taiwan, we're in Canada and our Health Authority has not mandated the use of masks at this point, it is a choice.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 9924 said:

Don't care what they're doing in Taiwan, we're not in Taiwan, we're in Canada and our Health Authority has not mandated the use of masks at this point, it is a choice.

And that is perhaps what is most unfortunate about the situation we're in right now. :P 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

And that is perhaps what is most unfortunate about the situation we're in right now. :P 

There are a lot of factors in Taiwan's success, mainly immediate passenger and port screening right after the very first case was reported in Wuhan and immediate quarantine for anyone showing any symptoms.

Physical distancing has worked quite well for us this far.  Maybe one day, down the road, we'll see mandatory masks, but thats not today.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 8010 said:

Was there ever a reason why the first batch of L-drive Novas came with push-bars and sensors to open the rear doors? It could've been a mistake but I find it interesting that they are the only buses in the fleet that have that. After I found that out a couple years back I never touched the push-bars on those things ever again.

As in a combination of push bars and those wave sensors?

On 5/29/2020 at 12:04 PM, Phillip said:

18404 has the TAG farebox and transfer cutter.

Hold on, I missed something here... Vancouver is using transfers again? I mean, when I was in high school in the late 2000s, they already had their time-dependent magnetic tickets going... why the step backward?

1 minute ago, InfiNorth said:

Hold on, I missed something here... Vancouver is using transfers again? I mean, when I was in high school in the late 2000s, they already had their time-dependent magnetic tickets going... why the step backward?

The company that made our fare boxes no longer makes them, so we’ve gone back to paper transfers on all shuttles, in order to free up those fare boxes for the 18/19xxx’s. We seem to have run out of fare boxes for conventionals.

• Like 2