Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

What we thought was the new ExpressBus livery is actually the new TransLink bus livery according to CMBC's Derek Cheung. Explains why 19303 had it. The new HTC-bound XN40s will also have it. The only thing differing Express units will be ExpressBus decals. We're pretty much going back in time here as only the Rapid units will have a special livery.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, ThomasW97 said:

Noticed trolley wires being re-installed right now at Nanaimo Station

However, with the ongoing construction on Nanaimo St, was curious if the #7 would stay running w/ diesels 

There are currently no wires on Nanaimo between Hastings and McGill.

2 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

What we thought was the new ExpressBus livery is actually the new TransLink bus livery according to CMBC's Derek Cheung. Explains why 19303 had it. The new HTC-bound XN40s will also have it. The only thing differing Express units will be ExpressBus decals. We're pretty much going back in time here as only the Rapid units will have a special livery.

That’s messed up. We were so close to having a standardized fleet, and now we have to start all over again. ?

Seems to me like someone working in a cubicle somewhere is just making stupid decisions to try to prove their worth in whatever capacity they work in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

What we thought was the new ExpressBus livery is actually the new TransLink bus livery according to CMBC's Derek Cheung. Explains why 19303 had it. The new HTC-bound XN40s will also have it...

Very interesting development. I personally don't mind having light grey on the roof, but I also remember being irritated at the fact they accidentally squished the space in which to apply fleet numbers on the 2018 NovaBus LFS HEVs due to the charcoal being painted up much higher than normal.

20 minutes ago, Citaro said:

That’s messed up. We were so close to having a standardized fleet, and now we have to start all over again... ?

Well if you look at it another way, most buses will now have a standard paint scheme going forward. The only thing telling them all apart will be decals. :P

4 hours ago, Translink69 said:

Let’s just go back to sweep ?

if they’re gonna add blue to the top they need to paint the roof as well, not leave it white.

Newer Novas are wrapped and are actually painted white underneath; not sure about newer NFI or ADL. The last few orders of NFIs appear to have painted silver and/or charcoal bases and blue+yellow decals. Older Novas are painted silver with blue+yellow decals.

On 5/12/2019 at 7:09 PM, Community Shuttle said:

Should've seen that coming a long time ago, when the Translink Store opened...

Bus Ornament

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, Express691 said:

S519 is among the first of the CMBC shuttles with its farebox replaced.

I like the newer one actually. (since there's no faresavers anymore) 

Any plan to do conventional busses with the fare box that does tap cards as well? Ive seen images of the same one we have in Google images while back with functionality of compass in it. (don't know if they had one as test or somewhere worldwide with same system as this)

When i see that image again i can post it here

6 hours ago, Meraki said:

The blue is okay but come on, put a little effort into it.

NFI_Xcelsior_CHARGE_1.jpg?fit=1700,736

Have the body charcoal and the roof fairings/CNG tanks blue, looks much cleaner. It'd also be consistent with RapidBus.

Consistency has never been TransLinks strong point. Neither has graphic design either. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Millennium2002 said:

Not TransLink related, but how big is YVR's bus fleet? I seem to see 6 Novabuses (5 parked, one running) when passing by JetSet while on Canada Line.

I've also seen a couple Cobuses (remote stand buses) and Vicinities.

There is a new trolley wires being built on W12 th Ave from Granville to Arbutus or possibilities of further

For the new skytrain extensions to UBC closure or disruption on W broadway ???

is it permanent or temporary?

why no extension on SE marine drive from main to Victoria?

I believe you could have researched that before asking...

Because the tunnel for Broadway SkyTrain Extension will run underneath Broadway itself, there will be disruptions along parts of the corridor for station construction. Trolleybus wires are being installed on small portions of McDonald street and West 12th Avenue so that trolleybus routes 14, 16, and 17 can keep running.

From the looks of it, they are building it to a permanent standard with metal trolleybus poles.

Any future trolleybus wire on Marine Drive east of Main Street is unrelated,  probably not high on priority list, and unfunded as a result. Having said that, the 100 bus will be equipped with 10 battery-electric buses very soon.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

Any future trolleybus wire on Marine Drive east of Main Street is unrelated,  probably not high on priority list, and unfunded as a result. Having said that, the 100 bus will be equipped with 10 battery-electric buses very soon.

I'm looking ahead and it looks like they're gonna argue for the 20 to be extended to Marine Drive Station; to which I'm gonna say that Marine Drive station cannot handle any more buses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Millennium2002 said:

Not TransLink, but there's a new Van Hook double-decker sightseeing bus in town...?

I saw it on a testing run near Stanley Park several weeks ago, but didn't get my phone out in time to capture the moment.

20190531_093913.jpg

Landsea Tours (now owned by Wilson's) launched it at the start of May.  Though I have seen regular Landsea Cutaways or Wilson's branded coaches filling in on this service too.

May_2019-4_028.thumb.JPG.88f298382c7c4a74a4a58ca49458df02.JPG

1 hour ago, cmbc2008 said:

why no extension on SE marine drive from main to Victoria?

There’s not enough clearance under the Knight St. Bridge for trolleybus overhead. They’ve considered extending the overhead to Fraser, but that’s as far as you could go.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

There’s not enough clearance under the Knight St. Bridge for trolleybus overhead. They’ve considered extending the overhead to Fraser, but that’s as far as you could go.

Theoretically they could push the wires to the side like they do in Seattle...

https://goo.gl/maps/DbzR43dq5cNNSfv3A

EDIT: When I made comment about Marine Drive wire, I was partly in a rush. Section between Main and Fraser seems easy to do but lacks funding; section between Fraser and Victoria is questionable IMO due to already steep hill.

Also, as @Express691 said, Marine Drive Station is already quite busy  and so it will be difficult to feed any more buses to it without causing congestion. I suppose some 3 Main / 8 Fraser buses could continue to Marpole Loop to free up layover space, but that still means the section of Marine between Granville and Main will have a lot of service duplication...