Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

6 hours ago, popillil said:

The shuttle looks like it can't easily be repaired so it may just go to the scrapper.

Easy or not, it would cost way too much to repair a fiberglass bus body on a cheap van chassis

5 hours ago, Thomasw said:

It will probably be used as a parts bus for the rest of the community shuttle fleet then it will be scrapped

I'm thinking the same thing. This was what they did with one of the old Polars when it developed an issue that was too much to fix

55 minutes ago, Thomasw said:

I have also noticed bay designations at 41st and Cambie 

They're also showing up on Broadway @ Cambie. It's nice that the stops along the Canada Line's route are finally getting actual Bay designations.

43 minutes ago, P8093 said:

Will there any articulated buses operate on 406,408 in weekends or peak hours ?

The old 410, 401 were very full in the past

No, overcrowding was from route length and delays on either end. I'm sure that increasing reliability should ease a bit of overcrowding/

Some small things related to service changes today:

The 99's EB/WB Cambie St. stops have been renamed to "Broadway-City Hall Station @ Bay 1" / "Broadway-City Hall Station @ Bay 4".

The stop and route names in the GTFS data TransLink publishes are mixed-case now, instead of all uppercase. The trip headsigns are still all uppercase (as displayed on the buses). It looks like their GTFS-Realtime feed has also changed formats slightly.

The "not in service" part of the "SORRY" "NOT IN SERVICE" signs appear to no longer be in bold face or something?

1 hour ago, Unloading Only said:

Some small things related to service changes today:

The 99's EB/WB Cambie St. stops have been renamed to "Broadway-City Hall Station @ Bay 1" / "Broadway-City Hall Station @ Bay 4".

The stop and route names in the GTFS data TransLink publishes are mixed-case now, instead of all uppercase. The trip headsigns are still all uppercase (as displayed on the buses). It looks like their GTFS-Realtime feed has also changed formats slightly.

The "not in service" part of the "SORRY" "NOT IN SERVICE" signs appear to no longer be in bold face or something?

All the Canada Line stops appear to be getting Bay numbers.

Not in Service was changed to I believe the old font. I prefer it.

8 hours ago, buizelbus said:

All the Canada Line stops appear to be getting Bay numbers.

Not in Service was changed to I believe the old font. I prefer it.

That makes sense, it just feels a bit strange seeing the bay number in place of "Cambie St" on the stop information display. Interesting that the terminus at Commercial-Broadway doesn't have a bay number.

It's interesting that the "sorry" part is still in the "new" font. I guess it was a mistake?

Another note about GTFS: The stop name as shown on the bus passenger information displays ("WB W 10 AVE FS SASAMAT ST") no longer appears in the GTFS data. Something similar to what was previously in the stop_desc field ("W 10 AVE @ SASAMAT ST") is now in the stop_name field ("Westbound W 10 Ave @ Sasamat St"), and the stop_desc field is now empty.  There are similar types of changes to some of the other parts too. You can really tell they're using some new program / version.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Unloading Only said:

It's interesting that the "sorry" part is still in the "new" font. I guess it was a mistake?

Assuming you're talking about the Luminator Horizons, they did a trial a few years back where the 'Not In Service' part was changed to the same font as 'Express' for a while, but decided to switch back. Has it shown up again?

6 hours ago, Meraki said:

Assuming you're talking about the Luminator Horizons, they did a trial a few years back where the 'Not In Service' part was changed to the same font as 'Express' for a while, but decided to switch back. Has it shown up again?

I believe so.

10 hours ago, Unloading Only said:

From what I recall, it's always been like that. When the first Luminator Horizon-equipped bus was delivered, which was 2101, the "SORRY / NOT IN SERVICE" was formatted exactly the same way it appears now, with the SORRY being bold. At that time, when a destination was entered, the text of the destination was the same size and font as the route number. The route number on the rear sign was also regular-face type, exactly the same as at the front, whereas now it is bold. In some cases, the formatting on the front sign meant that the destination was squeezed tight up against the route number, which was a little unsightly. One example of this was the 19, which appeared to show "19METROTOWN STN".

The most well-known incarnation of Horizon sign programming first appeared when the production E40LFRs and C40LFRs began to arrive the following year, with bold-face rear route number, and smaller font face for the front destination text compared to the route number. I only ever saw a handful of C40LFRs with the original programming, but as the E40LFRs were delivered through late 2006 and mid 2007, it was a mixed bag of the original formatting and the update. The last bus that I remember seeing with the original programming was 2181. This bus spent many months in BTC overhaul undergoing repairs, and when it finally returned to service, not only was the sign still programmed as 2101 had been when it was delivered in 2005, but it also still had the original silver bike rack, whereas the rest of the entire LFR fleet had already been retrofitted with the offset bike racks that didn't cause the headlights to be blocked by a bike's tires when they were in use. Not to mention, it had an ad-wrap for an ad campaign that had long since been removed from all other buses that carried it. (The wrap was for the radio station 95 Crave, now and formerly Z95.3, and as I recall it had been applied to about 20 buses!)

When 2101 was delivered, it had a sign code that read "TRANSLINK / TROLLEY PILOT BUS". The "TRANSLINK" was in bold face, and "TROLLEY PILOT BUS" in normal font, likely because it wouldn't have fit onto one sign exposure if it had been in bold face. (Which is probably also the reason why "TRAINING / VEHICLE" needs two exposures.)

28 minutes ago, MCW Metrobus said:

From what I recall, it's always been like that. When the first Luminator Horizon-equipped bus was delivered, which was 2101, the "SORRY / NOT IN SERVICE" was formatted exactly the same way it appears now, with the SORRY being bold. At that time, when a destination was entered, the text of the destination was the same size and font as the route number. The route number on the rear sign was also regular-face type, exactly the same as at the front, whereas now it is bold. In some cases, the formatting on the front sign meant that the destination was squeezed tight up against the route number, which was a little unsightly. One example of this was the 19, which appeared to show "19METROTOWN STN".

The most well-known incarnation of Horizon sign programming first appeared when the production E40LFRs and C40LFRs began to arrive the following year, with bold-face rear route number, and smaller font face for the front destination text compared to the route number. I only ever saw a handful of C40LFRs with the original programming, but as the E40LFRs were delivered through late 2006 and mid 2007, it was a mixed bag of the original formatting and the update. The last bus that I remember seeing with the original programming was 2181. This bus spent many months in BTC overhaul undergoing repairs, and when it finally returned to service, not only was the sign still programmed as 2101 had been when it was delivered in 2005, but it also still had the original silver bike rack, whereas the rest of the entire LFR fleet had already been retrofitted with the offset bike racks that didn't cause the headlights to be blocked by a bike's tires when they were in use. Not to mention, it had an ad-wrap for an ad campaign that had long since been removed from all other buses that carried it. (The wrap was for the radio station 95 Crave, now and formerly Z95.3, and as I recall it had been applied to about 20 buses!)

When 2101 was delivered, it had a sign code that read "TRANSLINK / TROLLEY PILOT BUS". The "TRANSLINK" was in bold face, and "TROLLEY PILOT BUS" in normal font, likely because it wouldn't have fit onto one sign exposure if it had been in bold face. (Which is probably also the reason why "TRAINING / VEHICLE" needs two exposures.)

Interesting stuff. Do you know why the number "406" on Axion/Balios signs (1998 C40LFs and 1999-2001 D40LFs at least) is super wide? Only those signs display it like that.