Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

1 hour ago, buizel10 said:

I don't know if anyone knows this, but there is a new sign at NB Great Canadian @ Bridgeport (Costco Richmond). Also, the sign displays the stop only serves N10, but the previous sign served N10 and C92.

I was wondering when someone was going to notice the change. They switched out the signs between Monday night and Tuesday evening this past week.

3 hours ago, dover5949 said:

RTC Check Wednesday afternoon at 230pm new Community Shuttles on the property not plated yet 17506 17508 17509 & looks like S353being retired?

20170329_155308.thumb.jpg.fe750cd2b8172fbbcc5bc4ff48024a44.jpg

Not bad. I popped by at around 4pm after oversleeping on the 405 and having the driver kick us off near RTC to use the washroom

59 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

I guess this is the right place for this.  Quick article about barriers coming to buses from the factory for all future orders.  Also, they may be retrofitting all current Xcelsior's with barriers starting this year or next.

http://www.cknw.com/2017/03/28/translink-moving-to-protect-bus-drivers-with-new-barriers/

As a driver, how do you feel about this?

I'm all for the barriers.  The main thing I'm looking forward to with them is people staying out of my bubble and not shoving the address they need to get to in my face while I'm driving.  But on a serious note, the addedd security will be nice.  However, not all of us are on the same page.  The nice thing about the barriers chosen is that part of the plexiglass glass can slide back to give a more open feeling while still providing security.  It will also have a cupholder which I hear is in a good location and a big improvement on the current Xcelsior cupholder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renee said:

As a driver, how do you feel about this?

This was the best choice in terms of barriers cause of the sliding window and cup holder.

The pilot barrier that's on the trolley right now was absolutely garbage, especially during night time. Too much glare from various different lightings. I had that coach once, had to closed for half a trip, then I left it open for the remainder of the evening.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brando737 said:

I guess this is the right place for this.  Quick article about barriers coming to buses from the factory for all future orders.  Also, they may be retrofitting all current Xcelsior's with barriers starting this year or next.

http://www.cknw.com/2017/03/28/translink-moving-to-protect-bus-drivers-with-new-barriers/

Fantaatic. I hate those things. Total garbage. I get the idea behind it. But people gotta understand that , that thing swings and they wanna board when your trying to get off the bus for your 1.3 min break. . It also covered the seat behind in novas. Which people always get mad about. Not to mention the fact that people can easily. And have reached around the gate to give the gift of a smack or an umbrella to the head. Seems to me people are just instagated by it more so . Maybe its just me. I feel like if they really wanna get you, they will. Simple as that. Me and few guys have tested our own "assault" simulation. Very easy. 

• Like 2

Just now, East Van Fan said:

Where do you think the 17500 shuttles get assigned to once they are plated? STC?

That's my guess too. West Van is also expecting shuttles sometime soon, but not of that model and less than 9 afaik. Surrey is most likely since it currently has the oldest shuttles in the fleet

5 minutes ago, ThatBusGuy said:

That's my guess too. West Van is also expecting shuttles sometime soon, but not of that model and less than 9 afaik. Surrey is most likely since it currently has the oldest shuttles in the fleet

I agree with STC getting these new Girardin Minibus G5. I believe the West Vancouver Blue Bus new community shuttles will be five Arboc shuttles. 

There appears to be a rather high number of diesels on trolley routes at the moment - 9, 10, 16, and 17 all have at least one. Not sure if this is unusual or if it happens every afternoon and I just don't check t-comm at the right time

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, buizel10 said:

I have some really bad photos of the Richmond Exchange Loop construction site. They are all viewable on this page of the archive section of my website (https://sites.google.com/site/buizelbusgalleryarchive/92892) but I will also post them here. But I will edit this post later so there are watermarks (muhahhahah)

A bunch of your photos are showing up as broken links.

1 hour ago, buizel10 said:

I have some really bad photos of the Richmond Exchange Loop construction site. They are all viewable on this page of the archive section of my website (https://sites.google.com/site/buizelbusgalleryarchive/92892) but I will also post them here. But I will edit this post later so there are watermarks (muhahhahah)

If you acknowledge that these photos are of poor quality, why waste the effort of adding watermarks?

• Like 5

On 04/04/2017 at 1:50 PM, Brando737 said:

Spotted 8033 being towed westbound Marine drive about 30 minutes ago.  Last saw service on March 31st so not sure if it's a retirement or something else.

It arrived at RTC on 'The Hook'.  Seemed to be headed for the shop doors.

Update:  8033 is parked with the coaches for decommissioning and the new shuttles waiting for radios, fareboxes etc.

Edited by NotQuite
Aditional info
  • Like 4