Comex (Community Express) in Saint John, NB

wil9402

I was looking for pictures of Comex buses, the first diesel NG VIIs in revenue service if I'm not wrong, and I came across these articles:

Critics slam Comex prices

SARAH REGAN

TELEGRAPH-JOURNAL

Published Tuesday September 4th, 2007

Appeared on page C1

SAINT JOHN - Saint John Transit's new Community Express Service is not designed with young people in mind, according to some university students living in the Kennebecasis Valley.

Comex will make its official launch today. But while some people are looking forward to finally getting bus service to the outlying communities, what they are not looking forward to is forking over the $3 cash fare.

"It's a great service with a hefty price tag," said Kevin Gale, 22. "I feel as though I'd be better off buying a car than paying to ride the bus every day."

If Gale opts not to get a monthly pass, he will have to pay $5 each way to ride buses from his home in Quispamsis to the University of New Brunswick's Saint John campus. That is because there is no direct bus from the valley to the university or the hospital, so riders that plan to transfer to a city bus will have to pay the regular $2.25 fare ($2 for students).

The Comex service also offers no discount for student or senior riders.

"Once people reach King's Square and realize they have to pay the fare again, they are going to be angry," said Matthew Banes, a third-year arts student at UNBSJ. "It's not fair for students who live in the valley that will use this service."

According to 2006 statistics from UNBSJ, 70 per cent of students from Kings County attending the university lived in Rothesay or Quispamsis. And as many as 90 per cent of Kings County students were from Rothesay, Quispamsis or Hampton.

Saint John Transit general manager Frank McCarey said after comparing Comex fares to other cities, the fares Saint John Transit charges are inexpensive.

"I don't think the prices are high," he said. "They seem pretty low. But I guess only time will tell. If problems do arise, we may look at making changes to the system."

The first run will leaving from Parkside Drive in Quispamsis at 6:15 a.m. today. A one way trip will cost $3 and a monthly pass will cost $89. It will cost $27 for a 10-ride punch card and $49 for a 20-ride card.

In total, there will be six runs a day, Monday to Friday, between Kennebecasis Valley and King's Square.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/city/article/64901

New Comex service successfully launched

September 04, 2007 - 9:22 am

By: Denise Miller-News 88-9 staff

Saint John-The wait is over, Saint John Transit has successfully launched its new bus service to the cities outlying communities.

The community express service, or comex, is making stops in Rothesay, Quispamsis and Hampton starting this morning.

In total, there will be six runs a day, Monday to Friday, from the Valley to King Square and six runs back out.

General Manager of Saint John Transit Frank Mccarey tells us criticism of the fares are unfounded in his opinion.

"Just compare it to your care or other alternative means and I think you'll find its quite a bargain. We are paying the insurance, the fuel and the monthly payments."

The maiden voyage brought out several travellers, with the only complaint being that the bus didn't go through the Tim Hortons drive thru.

http://www.news889.com/news/local/article....904_092254_5056

Does anyone know where I can find some good photos of the Comex buses? Would I have to wait a bit longer since it's only been 3 days they've been in service?

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know where I can find some good photos of the Comex buses?

I was in Saint John on October 16th and I was able to get a shot of one of the new Orion VII next generation buses in service. A shot of 43765 is attached along with a few other Saint John Transit photos that I took during my visit.

Bus 48704 is ex-Detroit.

Kevin N

Saint_John_Transit_43763___16OCT07.jpg

Saint_John_Transit_48238___16OCT07.jpg

Saint_John_Transit_48704_at_McAllistair_Place___16OCT07.jpg

Saint_John_Transit_52931___16OCT07.jpg

Saint_John_Transit_43557___16OCT07.jpg

• Root Admin
I was in Saint John on October 16th and I was able to get a shot of one of the new Orion VII next generation buses in service. A shot of 43765 is attached along with a few other Saint John Transit photos that I took during my visit.

Bus 48704 is ex-Detroit.

Kevin N

Kev, I assume you meant #43763. Your shot of #43765 isn't attached.

I find it quite ugly that they decaled the bus around the driver window. It makes the bus look quite ugly...

I have pictures of #43764, #43765, #43766 and #43767.

Bus 48704 is ex-Detroit.

Kevin N

YES!, finally a photo of one of the Comex buses. Thank you very much for posting that. That livery looks pretty ugly.