Central Fraser Valley

• 7 months later...

BC Transit has set up a page on their website dedicated to the new Transit Operations and Maintenance Facility in Abbotsford. The new garage at 3008-3012 Gladys Avenue will initially be built to hold up to 100 buses, and is expected to be expanded in 15-20 years to hold 150 buses. Apparently CFV has been restrained on adding new buses and service to meet growing ridership demands due to the inadequate size of the current garage.

https://bctransit.com/central-fraser-valley/facility-pro

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Made some edits in the Wiki

9260 is in CFV as the replacement for 9308. 9308 has been transferred out after being involved in that fatal accident. Dispensation of 9308 unknown, but the transfer is permanent.

Removed 8097 and 8104 as they have been retired. If I think of anything else.......

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/2/2018 at 12:17 PM, SidneyTransitfan said:

Spotted a red 35' Dennis Dart on a flatbed passing Chilliwack just now. It seems to be heading to the Abbotsford yard as it pulled off Highway 1 at the Sumas exit. Wasn't able to get a number as it was too far away.

0111 Transferred from Prince George

• 5 weeks later...

My friend was at Bourquin in Abbotsford today, and he spotted what appeared to be a D40LF in the current scheme leaving and he only saw the rear of the bus and noticed it didn't have the full A/C unit on top and it had flipdots.  Is there a chance it could be an ex CMBC unit running, he also did mention it looked like the tailpipe wasn't curved but he couldn't get a fleet number...  I am just confused because I thought all of those were gone from Abbotsford and only the 9800's were remaining.

On 11/6/2018 at 3:08 PM, AbbyTransitFan said:

My friend was at Bourquin in Abbotsford today, and he spotted what appeared to be a D40LF in the current scheme leaving and he only saw the rear of the bus and noticed it didn't have the full A/C unit on top and it had flipdots.  Is there a chance it could be an ex CMBC unit running, he also did mention it looked like the tailpipe wasn't curved but he couldn't get a fleet number...  I am just confused because I thought all of those were gone from Abbotsford and only the 9800's were remaining.

Well, we don't have any of them in our fleet. The only Flyers left are 9844, 9865 and 9869. 9865 has not been on the road for a while due to accident damage.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 9:21 PM, RZ350 said:

Well, we don't have any of them in our fleet. The only Flyers left are 9844, 9865 and 9869. 9865 has not been on the road for a while due to accident damage.

So I guess it was by pure dumb luck that I happened to catch 9869 on the inbound route 34 in Mission this past Tuesday. I was not expecting that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

So I guess it was by pure dumb luck that I happened to catch 9869 on the inbound route 34 in Mission this past Tuesday. I was not expecting that!

Actually 9869 is a great runner, and we use it quite often so yes I suppose it could be dumb luck LOL. but fairly common. the good news is that 9865 has finally been sent to the body shop, so we should have that one back soon. 9844 is commonly out on splits so usually on route 1,2, or 3 at peak hours.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, cleowin said:

Any chance Articulated buses will ever come to the CFV?

Fat chance. The second busiest system, Kelowna, had their double deckers taken away. Victoria, which is the largest system that BC Transit operates, doesn't have articulateds. So I don't see Fraser Valley having them ever. 

6 hours ago, cleowin said:

Any chance Articulated buses will ever come to the CFV?

Highly doubtful in the next 10 years, unless they are TransLink ones running to Mission on the 701. The busiest route in the CFV fleet is the 31 Mission-Abbotsford, and even it barely passes a full-seated load. The only other route is the 66 FVX between Langley and Abbotsford which can sometimes reach a crushload, but that can be fixed with additional frequency when the new garage is built - or TransLink taking over that portion with an extended 555 and double-deckers/artics.

I don't see BC Transit buying artics anytime soon. Even the real estate boom of the lower mainland has left most of Abbotsford still looking little more than a shanty town. Only development on the scale of Richmond in the last 10 years could change that.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 9:59 PM, SidneyTransitfan said:

Highly doubtful in the next 10 years, unless they are TransLink ones running to Mission on the 701. The busiest route in the CFV fleet is the 31 Mission-Abbotsford, and even it barely passes a full-seated load. The only other route is the 66 FVX between Langley and Abbotsford which can sometimes reach a crushload, but that can be fixed with additional frequency when the new garage is built - or TransLink taking over that portion with an extended 555 and double-deckers/artics.

I don't see BC Transit buying artics anytime soon. Even the real estate boom of the lower mainland has left most of Abbotsford still looking little more than a shanty town. Only development on the scale of Richmond in the last 10 years could change that.

Actually this isn't quite correct, the busiest run is the number 2 and it is often standing room only and sometimes leaving people behind. It's what happens when you have two Wal-Marts on one route. however, this will probably settle down some if the new route recommendations are implemented in July. Other than that there are a few afternoon University runs that leave people behind but, you cant plan around a rush like that with bigger buses, just hopefully an extra run would be nice. Again though, this might get better in 2019.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I've been active in this thread, but does anyone know if 0233 is even an active running bus in Abbotsford, I've noticed for quite some time it's been listed on the wiki as Active, but I have never even seen it in service myself, and has been here since May of 2018...  I've only noticed 9072 as being like the only remaining dart running.  I've heard rumors as well from good sources that Abby may be getting a couple more D40LF's soon, not sure why but maybe replacement's for 9844, 9865 & 9869?  ?  Sorry, but have been really lacking on fleet info lately..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...