Edmonton Radial Railway Society

James

D'OH! I forgot. You should have posted more reminders.

im sure it will be on the globaltv site after. it was an awesome 3 minute video they made. I talked to Terry T after they played it and we are extremly pleased with it would be a great promotional video for us too lol.

• Board Admin

There was an article with ERRS pictures but it was more about ETS in the Journal today. The continuation said "see BUS / XX" so I have no idea if the rest of the article is somewhere in the paper. It was one of the small images on the top of the paper.

There was an article with ERRS pictures but it was more about ETS in the Journal today. The continuation said "see BUS / XX" so I have no idea if the rest of the article is somewhere in the paper. It was one of the small images on the top of the paper.

There is also video on the edmontonjournal.com page too.. havent watched it yet because im reformatting my laptop but its there.

It is pretty busy on the HLB this morning. i just got off the phone with them. they had standing only on 247 and have just taken 930 out to c/o 247 for more room and that still had 1 person standing!

• Board Admin
Busman’s holiday

Hop aboard an ETS bus, just for the fun of it

JENNIFER FONG

EDMONTON

When you think of the Edmonton Transit System, fun isn’t the first word that comes to mind.

But on a lazy summer day, hopping on a bus and letting it take you to some unseen corner of the city could be the best way to spend an afternoon.

“The fact that some of our routes are very scenic is a great bonus,” says ETS market planner Jason Baxter. Even the LRT, which crosses the river below the High Level Bridge, offers such a nice view of the River Valley; it’ll have you hoping for a delay.

Here are a few of Baxter’s recommendations, along with some of our favourites:

Route 8

Routes 1 through 9 are ETS base routes that traverse the city from one corner to another. These are the best way to get a complete cross-section of Edmonton, through a variety of neighbourhoods and notable landmarks.

Route 8 travels from the south side of the city at Mill Woods Town Centre all the way across town to Abbottsfield Shopping Centre in the north. The trip takes a good 90 minutes, which is what driver Terry Bundun likes about it.

“When you start to go back and forth 14 times in an eight-hour shift, it’s very boring,” says Bundun. “I like it because of the variety, the length — it does one corner of the city to the other; it goes through the heart of downtown.”

The 8 winds through the suburbs of Millgate and Bonnie Doon before going up scenic Connors Road, past the pyramids of the Muttart Conservatory and across the Low Level Bridge into downtown. The spiralling path up to 100th Street gives an imposing view of the iconic Hotel Macdonald above and the river valley below.

journal_aug11_07.jpg

Interesting. I guess the fact that the 8 is really busy doesn't bother that person.

Heh yeah, I avoid the 8 at all costs.

Incidentally, I was a bit late getting Downtown than usual on Thursday to head home... and when 6001 showed up on a route 8 I decided to go for that. I quickly remembered why I don't ride the 8 unless I have to.

Incidentally, I had also noticed a sandwich board at Telus... I didn't read it as I didn't have time, but from what I saw it was talking about alternatives to the route 8. ETS needs to keep some peak trippers on the 8 during the summer.

The LRT is nice... when crossing the river valley. Otherwise, you're in tunnels (which IMO are nice!), or else out in the north east... warehouses... Commonwealth Stadium, Northlands, Rexall Place, waste land, commercial building, Belvedere, scrap yards. Nice.

An invitation to all Fans.....

On Wednesday this week ill be taking George and Thrusday Dave into Fort Edmonton Park after 6pm for some viewing and photoing and travelling on the streetcars. I am able and already have permissions to take 24, 42 and 4612 out. So if anyone else wants to come join us, your more than welcome.

Just to note, on Wednesday im driving in the afternoon till 6pm so after that i can let you in the side door at no charge to you from the park.

On thursday my plan is to meet Dave at the university at 5pm..

Let me know if you wanna come!

An invitation to all Fans.....

On Wednesday this week ill be taking George and Thrusday Dave into Fort Edmonton Park after 6pm for some viewing and photoing and travelling on the streetcars. I am able and already have permissions to take 24, 42 and 4612 out. So if anyone else wants to come join us, your more than welcome.

Just to note, on Wednesday im driving in the afternoon till 6pm so after that i can let you in the side door at no charge to you from the park.

On thursday my plan is to meet Dave at the university at 5pm..

Let me know if you wanna come!

Thursday WE all have EDDIE bus from 1140-1340, supper at ANH at 1630-ish and then the Historic Tour at 1900. You should try to make it to the Historic Tour. The WHOLE family will be there.

Thursday WE all have EDDIE bus from 1140-1340, supper at ANH at 1630-ish and then the Historic Tour at 1900. You should try to make it to the Historic Tour. The WHOLE family will be there.
well im confused. Dave said thursday was good. is he supposed to be coming with you guys???

• Board Admin

Here's the full article, which doesn't really apply fully to ERRS but it is mentioned:

Busman’s holiday — taking the ETS just for fun

JENNIFER FONG

jfong@thejournal.canwest.com

Here is the complete text of this story, which ran only partially on E1 in Saturday Life. Sorry for the inconvenience.

When you think of the Edmonton Transit System, fun isn’t the first word that comes to mind.

But on a lazy summer day, hopping on a bus and letting it take you to some unseen corner of the city could be the best way to spend an afternoon.

“The fact that some of our routes are very scenic is a great bonus,” says ETS market planner Jason Baxter. Even the LRT, which crosses the river below the High Level Bridge, offers such a nice view of the River Valley; it’ll have you hoping for a delay.

Here are a few of Baxter’s recommendations, as well as our own favourites:

Route 8

Routes 1 through 9 are ETS base routes that traverse the city from one corner to another. These are the best way to get a complete cross-section of Edmonton, through a variety of neighbourhoods and notable landmarks.

Route 8 travels from the south side of the city at Mill Woods Town Centre all the way across town to Abbottsfield Shopping Centre in the north.

The trip takes a good 90 minutes, which is what driver Terry Bundun likes about it.

“When you start to go back and forth 14 times in an eight-hour shift, it’s very boring,” says Bundun. “I like it because of the variety, the length — it does one corner of the city to the other; it goes through the heart of downtown.”

The Number 8 winds through the suburbs of Millgate and Bonnie Doon before going up scenic Connors Road, past the pyramids of the Muttart Conservatory and across the Low Level Bridge into downtown.

The spiralling path up to 100th Street gives an imposing view of the iconic Hotel Macdonald above and the river valley below.

Hop off at Churchill Square to wander through one of the numerous festivals and events running at the plaza this summer .

If you’re lucky, you might also be able to ride one of ETS’s new diesel electric hybrid buses — four run on Routes 8 and 106, with two more currently being readied for the road. The highly efficient vehicles offer a smoother ride and are the only air-conditioned buses in the fleet.

Route 4

Another busy base route is the Number 4, which cuts across the south side of the city from Capilano to West Edmonton Mall. Buses travel along the buzzing Whyte Avenue strip and around the University of Alberta campus.

On a sunny day, bring a picnic lunch and hop off in front of E. A. Corbett Hall at 112th Street, for a bite on the lawn. Jump back on the bus (there’s one every 15 minutes on weekdays) and enjoy the juxtaposition of city versus nature when it cruises through Fox Drive.

You’ll pass by the idyllic horse-dotted fields and white picket fences of the Whitemud Equine Centre before the bus returns to urbanity and stops at the world’s largest mall.

Route 1

Head back from the Mall on Route 1, which also runs east to west, but strictly on the north side of the river until it passes downtown and heads into Capilano. Buses take you down 102nd Avenue past the beautifully landscaped lawns of the older, stately homes near 130th Street in Glenora.

Get off here and walk north to admire the intricate architecture as houses grow larger further into the elite neighbourhood.

The bus continues east along 102nd into the 124th Street/High Street area — popular for its independently owned stores, and cafes. It’s the Whyte Avenue of the north and makes for a nice cruise in the evenings when restaurants are packed and trees are lit.

Route 1 twists on to Jasper Avenue in its drive downtown. Grab a bite at the strip of restaurants at 113th Street or drop by St. Joseph’s Basilica, one of only two minor basilicas in Western Canada (the other is in Saint-Boniface, Man.) The cathedral boasts European architectural features, more than 60 stained glass windows, and a unique claim to fame: Wayne Gretzky got married here.

Route 99

This shorter route from Belvedere to Capilano runs only during peak hours, but even then it remains relatively quiet with few riders. It’s too bad, since the 99 is also a route with a view. “It’s a lower socioeconomic run but it’s got some very scenic parts that overlook highlands golf course,” says Baxter. He’s right — while it begins in a fairly industrial area, the bus crosses the river at Capilano Bridge, overlooking beautifully manicured greens on one side and the North Saskatchewan on the other.

Trolley Buses

If you want to try something different, jump on one of five routes running trolley buses, and take advantage of one of two existing trolley bus systems in Canada (the other is in Vancouver). The ecofriendly alternative is powered by electricity that runs through an extensive network of overhead wire downtown. On an average day, there are 36 trolley buses on the streets.

Route 120 takes you from Jasper Place to Stadium LRT station, cutting through the downtown core along Jasper Avenue. Riders get a birds-eye view down into the river valley and Dawson Park before the route winds through Chinatown.

Manoeuvring the buses can be a challenge, says trolley driver Dave Adam. “It’s all manual,” he says. “I have to watch the traffic and the lines (overhead), but it’s interesting.”

The lurches every time the buses get going mean trolley buses aren’t the most comfortable of rides, but they do make for a unique experience. Trolleys run on routes 3, 5, 120, 133 (peak hours only) and 153.

High Level Streetcar

“Myarmband says it’s time,” says High Level Streetcar motorman Don Scafe to conductor Hans Ryssel, president of the Edmonton Radial Railway Society (ERRS). Both get up, straighten their pressed white shirts and dark slacks, and re-adjust their conductors’ caps. Scafe rings a bell, and the train doors close. Minutes later, the streetcar is rumbling away from Strathcona terminal towards downtown.

The 10-minute ride through a handful of historic sites and city attractions gives riders a blast from the past the second they set foot on one of three historic streetcars, acquired by the ERRS from all over the world and restored for use on Edmonton’s abandoned electric streetcar line. All their defining features were kept intact — no bells and whistles added.

The tram built in 1921 in Osaka, Japan still has Japanese signage and its original red velvet benches. The doors of the 1947 Melbourne tram from Australia open manually. The one built in 1970 to serve Hanover, Germany, is the newest and is an early model for today’s LRT cars.

Markus Eymann loves the old trams and takes his kids Sixten Abrahamson, five, and Satyra Abrahamson, three, for regular streetcar rides every summer. “Everyone loves trains,” says Eymann. “This is mostly for fun. The LRT is way more utilitarian.”

And not even the most convenient, if you wanted to go to the east end of the Whyte Avenue strip.

“It’s certainly the most direct route downtown to Old Strathcona,” says Ryssel, who volunteers his time to run the streetcars once or twice a week.

It’s also the prettiest — trains travel across the world’s highest streetcar bridge (the High Level), above cars and the LRT line, for a stunning view of the Saskatchewan.

The High Level Bridge Streetcar runs daily from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. beginning the Friday of May long weekend through Labour Day, and Friday to Monday from Labour Day to Thanksgiving Monday.

On Saturdays, service begins at 9 a.m. for those going to the Strathcona farmers’ market and during special events, such as the Fringe Festival, the streetcar runs until 10 p.m. Fares are $2 each way. The best time to take in the streetcar is during a regular weekday, where you could get almost the entire tram to yourself. Weekends, especially in the summer, can get very busy.

The streetcar can also be chartered for private parties at a rate of $100 per hour. To book, call 437-7721.

ETS Historical Bus Tours

Learn about the city’s past by taking one of two ETS historical bus tours this summer. Guided by local historians, buses travel through two of the city’s older neighbourhoods: Glenora and Norwood. The 90-minute tours, beginning at City Hall, run at 1:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and at 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Saturdays until Aug. 16. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased at Tix on the Square (4201757).

Too bad no mention was made of the soon to be cut back route 305. What don't you get on that route?

The driver must have blown through a section isolator...

I was on an LRV that blew through a section isolator northbound into either Churchill or Central. This particular motorman was driving slow the whole trip... and I guess decided he wouldn't make it all the way in with out powering up a bit. He choose to do that right at a break. It was one of the roughest jerks I've felt on an LRV, streetcar, or trolleybus.

I suppose some people could find the quick acceleration uncomfortable, but I would offset it with the fact that you get around faster.

It also helps the drivers stay on schedule. Most/ all seasoned trolley drivers seem to HATE the GM's with a passion because of their lack of acceleration.

Still can't get over that day with Shaun on the 3...

It also helps the drivers stay on schedule. Most/ all seasoned trolley drivers seem to HATE the GM's with a passion because of their lack of acceleration.

Still can't get over that day with Shaun on the 3...

Where he burnt up his shoes during re-entry ? Left downtown 20 minutes late, get to JPC with three minutes to spare. I'd love to see him driving Vanna.......Shawn's awesome. So are all the Troopers.

Wednesday - I'll see if I can make it!

Thursday - You should make it 4PM so you can meet me. :P Supper is at 1630-1700 at ANH.

Remember folks. if your interested in doing some photo's in Fort Edmonton Park of the streetcars, Wednesday at 6pm, ill be able to bring you into FEP for photo's of the barn and cars. I will be bringing out 24, 42 and 4612 for photo's and ride's for a bit. I will have to meet you guys at the gates to let you come in at no charge.

Please let me know if your coming. George will be there and Ashton is i think...

Remember folks. if your interested in doing some photo's in Fort Edmonton Park of the streetcars, Wednesday at 6pm, ill be able to bring you into FEP for photo's of the barn and cars. I will be bringing out 24, 42 and 4612 for photo's and ride's for a bit. I will have to meet you guys at the gates to let you come in at no charge.

Please let me know if your coming. George will be there and Ashton is i think...

Tempting, but I'm not off of work until 17:00.