JN HSR

TTC Blue Lights

I thought that the Blue Lights were solid is when the bus was in service,

when the lights are blinking there Out of Service.

I always thought the blue lights were simply to advise people that the bus coming is accessible. After all you could have a 1991 Orion V and 1996 Orion V running on the same street and the only way to tell which one is accessible is by the blue lights. I am of course referring to "regular" passengers who don't much care or notice destination size sizes, types and so on.

I always thought the blue lights were simply to advise people that the bus coming is accessible. After all you could have a 1991 Orion V and 1996 Orion V running on the same street and the only way to tell which one is accessible is by the blue lights. I am of course referring to "regular" passengers who don't much care or notice destination size sizes, types and so on.

All of this has been discussed earlier in this thread. Officially, they are "accessible" lights, but as the fleet approaches 100% accessibility, it's inevitable that they will increasingly be treated as indicating "a bus is coming". This is likely already true on designated accessible routes where riders are used to seeing the blue lights on every bus.

I thought that the Blue Lights were solid is when the bus was in service,

when the lights are blinking there Out of Service.

;) ??????????

Those blue lights are GREAT for the Visually impaired!!!

In my area we have both MT and TTC buses running on this part of Dundas west, when I am waiting for a bus, I can tell if it is a MT or a TTC, the other way is that the MT have more white area on their buses, their marking is a dirty orange stripe, TTC buses have black and red, in the case of the older buses without blue lights that is what I go on.

There is also a difference between the lights on ORION VII's and D40LF's, ORION V's.. The ORION VII use a LED light, all others are a light bulb. learned that from a driver and a mechanic from Queensway.

Here are a couple of pictures showing what I have talked about... an VII, and a D40LF

Those blue lights are GREAT for the Visually impaired!!!

In my area we have both MT and TTC buses running on this part of Dundas west, when I am waiting for a bus, I can tell if it is a MT or a TTC, the other way is that the MT have more white area on their buses, their marking is a dirty orange stripe, TTC buses have black and red, in the case of the older buses without blue lights that is what I go on.

There is also a difference between the lights on ORION VII's and D40LF's, ORION V's.. The ORION VII use a LED light, all others are a light bulb. learned that from a driver and a mechanic from Queensway.

Here are a couple of pictures showing what I have talked about... an VII, and a D40LF

yeah, I'm trying to convince the technical services dep't to convert as many incandescent fixtures (steplights, lic. plate lts, the blue lts, side signal lts.) to led as possible on the 7000s for the man-hour savings on not having to check or replace them constantly

staying on top of the 135 7000s burnt out light bulbs is a full time job in itself!

yeah, I'm trying to convince the technical services dep't to convert as many incandescent fixtures (steplights, lic. plate lts, the blue lts, side signal lts.) to led as possible on the 7000s for the man-hour savings on not having to check or replace them constantly

staying on top of the 135 7000s burnt out light bulbs is a full time job in itself!

LOL, yeah, I have heard that from friends at Queensway, the lights in the 7300's like to go !POOF! a lot..

I really do perfer the led lights, it also might save the TTC some little bit of money..

I really like the 7000's

LOL, yeah, I have heard that from friends at Queensway, the lights in the 7300's like to go !POOF! a lot..

I really do perfer the led lights, it also might save the TTC some little bit of money..

I really like the 7000's

in the long run....

those plue lights retail from grote and truck light for about 25$ apeice, versus about 1$ for a #1157 bulb, plus the labour to change them when they burn out.

All of this has been discussed earlier in this thread. Officially, they are "accessible" lights, but as the fleet approaches 100% accessibility, it's inevitable that they will increasingly be treated as indicating "a bus is coming". This is likely already true on designated accessible routes where riders are used to seeing the blue lights on every bus.

A bus is coming indication mainly applies to the VIIs due to their ultra bright LED blue lights; the 96-99 blue incandescent lights are barely noticeable from a distance.

A bus is coming indication mainly applies to the VIIs due to their ultra bright LED blue lights; the 96-99 blue incandescent lights are barely noticeable from a distance.

At night, all I can see is lights, I dont have "night vision" so the blue lights is what I go on.

At night, all I can see is lights, I dont have "night vision" so the blue lights is what I go on.

so the lights are still fufilling their original purpose in a way, providing accessibility to all, wheelchair bound or not.

you just proved they are and always will be necessary equipment.

What I mean is, the blue incan lights are around as bright as the flipdot signs and it doesn't stand out; therefore, if you can see the destination signs, you can see the blue lights. Whereas in the VIIs, you can see the blue ligths from US all the way to here. :angry:

What I mean is, the blue incan lights are around as bright as the flipdot signs and it doesn't stand out; therefore, if you can see the destination signs, you can see the blue lights. Whereas in the VIIs, you can see the blue ligths from US all the way to here. :angry:

hopefully I can do something about that in the near future. (blue lights)

over the past 2 years, I've allready systematically cleaned, dusted and repaired all the 7000 destination signs as best as I could, (except for about 5 or 6 units, I'll get to them when i have time )so at they're at least ledgible/ i don't think anyone's touched them since new! I went through all the rear signs and replace all the burnt out tubes-there were a lot of them. it's been roughly a year now and some of them are burning out again. -time for me to play catch up.

hopefully I can do something about that in the near future. (blue lights)

over the past 2 years, I've allready systematically cleaned, dusted and repaired all the 7000 destination signs as best as I could, (except for about 5 or 6 units, I'll get to them when i have time )so at they're at least ledgible/ i don't think anyone's touched them since new! I went through all the rear signs and replace all the burnt out tubes-there were a lot of them. it's been roughly a year now and some of them are burning out again. -time for me to play catch up.

If they keep burning out, that means TTC has to buy new ones which in turn will burn out real fast again right? Why don't they just do the LED ones on the VIIs? Does it take alot of money to change it to LED on the 96-99 models?

so the lights are still fufilling their original purpose in a way, providing accessibility to all, wheelchair bound or not.

you just proved they are and always will be necessary equipment.

ok, cool!

the only thing I hate about the D40LF's is the destination signs, ARRGH! I cannot see them, except for 7350, that one is eye popping orange,

this is what it displays:

(30 30 30)

(192 192 192)

when not in service, it is blank.

the side sign works fine, just the front is screwed up.

If they keep burning out, that means TTC has to buy new ones which in turn will burn out real fast again right? Why don't they just do the LED ones on the VIIs? Does it take alot of money to change it to LED on the 96-99 models?

they retail for about 25-30$apeice, so you're looking at about 50-60 bucks total. they just pop right in, no modifying required.

as for the dest. signs, they cost a couple of grand, and I would'nt recommend gong through the expense of changing them. they're not too bad as long as you keep them meticulously clean, there are mirrors inside to reflect the light the flourescent tubes throw out upwards, and have to be kept dust free to be effective.

ok, cool!

the only thing I hate about the D40LF's is the destination signs, ARRGH! I cannot see them, except for 7350, that one is eye popping orange,

this is what it displays:

(30 30 30)

(192 192 192)

when not in service, it is blank.

the side sign works fine, just the front is screwed up.

If you can't see their signs with the LED backlit, then the flouresent ones must be impossible to see. The pre-1998 buses.

BTW ttcmech, do you know anything about 7000? I reported it several weeks ago about it having the original Luminator Megamax non LED installed back. It used to have the Megamax 2000 as a trail for the RTS/D40LFs. Why did they switched it back?

If you can't see their signs with the LED backlit, then the flouresent ones must be impossible to see. The pre-1998 buses.

BTW ttcmech, do you know anything about 7000? I reported it several weeks ago about it having the original Luminator Megamax non LED installed back. It used to have the Megamax 2000 as a trail for the RTS/D40LFs. Why did they switched it back?

it had rattled itself to pieces, no spare parts were around so I put in a used complete sign from a retired 9200 i had harvested from the deadline at wilson months ago for just such an occasion.

it had rattled itself to pieces, no spare parts were around so I put in a used complete sign from a retired 9200 i had harvested from the deadline at wilson months ago for just such an occasion.

Oh I see, I did notice prior to the switchover, 7000's sign was kind of screwed, much like 7350's. I wonder if they're swtich 7350's sign over or fix it up once it goes into rebuild?

BTW, what ever happen to the original signs on 7350 and 7000 when they were delivered? I hope TTC kept them and not trashed them as they're not cheap.

Oh I see, I did notice prior to the switchover, 7000's sign was kind of screwed, much like 7350's. I wonder if they're swtich 7350's sign over or fix it up once it goes into rebuild?

BTW, what ever happen to the original signs on 7350 and 7000 when they were delivered? I hope TTC kept them and not trashed them as they're not cheap.

7000's is sitting on a skid at the back of the shop. I tagged it for rebuild, but I honestly don't think they'll do it. there is'nt really much left to work with.

I remember before the mid-life rebuild, 7083 got a smaller front sign and so both sides of the screen had to be covered up,

someone mentioned that the sign was taken from a retired 63xx (possibly 6337), I don't know if the sign on 7083 was

still kept after the rebuild.

I remember before the mid-life rebuild, 7083 got a smaller front sign and so both sides of the screen had to be covered up,

someone mentioned that the sign was taken from a retired 63xx (possibly 6337), I don't know if the sign on 7083 was

yeah, it was- i took the time to scrape the extra black paint off the inside to make it identical to the other 7000s when I cleaned and overhauled the sign last summer. it was covering up some of the text on the top and bottom rows.

I'd like to change the fronts of 7126 and 7078 as the glass was replaced with lexan somewhere along the way, and the daily trips through the wash rack have scratched them up pretty bad, they're all hazy now.

7083 still had a MegaMax but the panel was one that is on 91 Vs, so part of the MegaMax was not visible, judging from Mike V's photo.

7083's panel changed after rebuild.

[Edit] Never mind after ttcmech's post