TTC Blue Lights

JN HSR

7083 still had a MegaMax but the panel was one that is on 91 Vs, so part of the MegaMax was not visible, judging from Mike V's photo.

7083's panel changed after rebuild.

[Edit] Never mind after ttcmech's post

Another weirdo is 7000 who seem to have a back light from a 90 Orion V CNG. It is now white though.

Also, ttcmech, you didn't really answer my last question about 7350 and 7000 but here's more for you. LOL.

7000 and some other 9400s/7000s had the middle window openable across from the rear door; but, it is now bolted. Was there a reason for this? All I can think of is that the openable part can hit a standing person in that area, but if so they how come the D40-90s didn't have that window bolted?

Another weirdo is 7000 who seem to have a back light from a 90 Orion V CNG. It is now white though.Also, ttcmech, you didn't really answer my last question about 7350 and 7000 but here's more for you. LOL.7000 and some other 9400s/7000s had the middle window openable across from the rear door; but, it is now bolted. Was there a reason for this? All I can think of is that the openable part can hit a standing person in that area, but if so they how come the D40-90s didn't have that window bolted?
yep, too many pepole hitting their heads and throwing trash out the windowas for the d40-90's, i have no idea-i guess it was'nt a concern at the time....I have no clue where the original dest. signs went for 7000, 7350.7000 likely was in some kind of collision, and they had an older series hood laying around. the 3rd light is simply there to plug the hole.
Ugh....who's bright idea was that?Dan
i guess that's what they had on hand...seemed like a good idea at the time.

while on the subject of headlights, I would like to ask a question on the white upper headlights on the T1 trains.

I can see on some of the T1 trains, they have switched back to the original lights, it seems the white lights are fine indoors but they become (relatively) difficult to be seen under the bright sunshine, is that the reason that they don't use the white lights when these lights are burnt out?

while on the subject of headlights, I would like to ask a question on the white upper headlights on the T1 trains.

I can see on some of the T1 trains, they have switched back to the original lights, it seems the white lights are fine indoors but they become (relatively) difficult to be seen under the bright sunshine, is that the reason that they don't use the white lights when these lights are burnt out?

the dimmer lights you're referring to are likely LED bulbs. seeing them in bright sunshine can sometimes be a problem.

other than that, I don't know what the rail dep't plans are.

Also on the topic, why are the D40LF blue ligths brighter than all the Vs? Even the VIs are brighter. Is it the age or just a different cover?

And I haven't seen enough RTS at night to comment on their blue lights but theirs is an awkward looking style for sure!

Also on the topic, why are the D40LF blue ligths brighter than all the Vs? Even the VIs are brighter. Is it the age or just a different cover?

And I haven't seen enough RTS at night to comment on their blue lights but theirs is an awkward looking style for sure!

the extral glass the light has to pass through does'nt help.

the v's use an #1157 dual filament, dual circuit brake/tail clear bulb inside their blue lights, but only the filament for the tail lamp function is used for longevity's sake-the dimmer of the two.

the d40lfs i think use a sealed unit light, and probably use a brighter filament.

I wonder if they're swtich 7350's sign over or fix it up once it goes into rebuild?

The problems with 7350 are with the wiring - hopefully having Orion VIIs based out of Queensway will make it easier for the mechanics there to understand how this type of sign works, and should give them a nice spare parts inventory to work with, which ttcmech does not have for Luminator 3000 signs at Malvern.

BTW, what ever happen to the original signs on 7350 and 7000 when they were delivered? I hope TTC kept them and not trashed them as they're not cheap.

Presumably they went into the spare parts inventory.

The problems with 7350 are with the wiring - hopefully having Orion VIIs based out of Queensway will make it easier for the mechanics there to understand how this type of sign works, and should give them a nice spare parts inventory to work with, which ttcmech does not have for Luminator 3000 signs at Malvern.

Presumably they went into the spare parts inventory.

i do have some, but only because i took the time to gut as many 9200s as i could one rainy afternoon. no one else seemed willing, and i was getting irritated at the state the 7000 signs were deteriorating into, to i told my bosses about the spare parts just sitting at wilson, and that they fit the 7000s, so i went with their blesssing and a shopping cart. :D

right now i'm trying to read up on the signs the 1200s will have, we got one luminator manual in advance. they should'nt give many problems, though-no moving parts.

i do have some, but only because i took the time to gut as many 9200s as i could one rainy afternoon. no one else seemed willing, and i was getting irritated at the state the 7000 signs were deteriorating into, to i told my bosses about the spare parts just sitting at wilson, and that they fit the 7000s, so i went with their blesssing and a shopping cart. :D

right now i'm trying to read up on the signs the 1200s will have, we got one luminator manual in advance. they should'nt give many problems, though-no moving parts.

So which 96 V besides 7000 has a VI sign right now?

Do they still have those VI signs or all in the scrapper?

So which 96 V besides 7000 has a VI sign right now?

Do they still have those VI signs or all in the scrapper?

they are identical in every way- I've parted them out in bits in pieces, not complete signs-except for 7000.

I could'nt keep track even if i wanted to. my only concern is to get the damn thing working.

Luminator 3000 series signs are the ones in the RTS and D40LF buses - it was those that I was saying that you didn't have many spare parts for.

Richard, what is the difference between the 2000 and 3000?

It was clearly started the Luminator MegaMax is the ones used on the 96 V and VIs. Luminator MegaMax 2000 are the LED backlit along with MegaMax 3000. But we fail to find any proof on the difference between the 2000 and 3000 types. Perhaps you can shed some light into this?

• 2 months later...
LOL, yeah, I have heard that from friends at Queensway, the lights in the 7300's like to go !POOF! a lot..

I really do perfer the led lights, it also might save the TTC some little bit of money..

I really like the 7000's

So do I. Hopefully the 7300s will be re-equipped with LED lights after their rebuild is done.

i would'nt count on it, if past rebuilds are evidence.

MAYBE the side turn signals, but that's only because the side skins are replaced.

Actually with the recent replacement side skins on the 7000s they are still using the incandescent side turn signals. They did put LED sides on the RTS's though.

Actually with the recent replacement side skins on the 7000s they are still using the incandescent side turn signals. They did put LED sides on the RTS's though.

Why wasn't the side panels replaced when the 7000s went in for the rebuild? Why do it several years later.

Why wasn't the side panels replaced when the 7000s went in for the rebuild? Why do it several years later.

again, hindsight's always 20/20. they did'nt coat the sides in primer immediately after sandblasting. they waited 24+ hours. after that you only entomb the seeds of oxidation.

the new panels are fibreglass and don't have that problem.