TTC Blue Lights

JN HSR

I've always wondered, what are the two little blue lights on either side of the destination sign on the front ot TTC buses for? I've only seen them pictured on TTC buses and not on any other transit system (that I've seen). Are they used to designate the TTC's 'blue night service?'

I've always wondered, what are the two little blue lights on either side of the destination sign on the front ot TTC buses for? I've only seen them pictured on TTC buses and not on any other transit system (that I've seen). Are they used to designate the TTC's 'blue night service?'

No, they designate that the bus is wheelchair accessible, which is why older high-floor models don't have them.

They were useful back when the TTC's fleet was mostly high floor. Now that the fleet is almost entirely low floor Orion VII, you can bet the TTC will probably not be ordering with them on anymore. Much like the HSR got rid of the "LOW FLOOR LOW FLOOR LOW FLOOR" decals on the side of the buses after the '07 D40LF since the fleet is about 90% LF now.

They were useful back when the TTC's fleet was mostly high floor. Now that the fleet is almost entirely low floor Orion VII, you can bet the TTC will probably not be ordering with them on anymore. Much like the HSR got rid of the "LOW FLOOR LOW FLOOR LOW FLOOR" decals on the side of the buses after the '07 D40LF since the fleet is about 90% LF now.

the 1200s will have them too.

I doubt the TTC will get rid of them anytime soon.

They still be buying blue lights, no matter what.Only the Hybrid buses don't have the written name on both sides. The 07 still have it on the driver side as well the pass. side still says "WHEELCHAIR ACCESS".

It's easier to tell from a distance if the bus approaching is accessible if you see the blue lights, especially at night time.

Esp. stickers washes it out from time to time, which reappling is required.

They were useful back when the TTC's fleet was mostly high floor. Now that the fleet is almost entirely low floor Orion VII, you can bet the TTC will probably not be ordering with them on anymore.

I disagree; the blue lights are gradually morphing into a "TTC Bus" indicator, which still has value, particularly during inclement weather. Unlike standard orange lights, blue lights easily allow the bus to be distinguished from oncoming trucks.

I disagree; the blue lights are gradually morphing into a "TTC Bus" indicator, which still has value, particularly during inclement weather. Unlike standard orange lights, blue lights easily allow the bus to be distinguished from oncoming trucks.

That is a very good feature. In Hamilton I have a hard time telling sometimes if an HSR bus is coming or if it's a white cubevan. Especially when one is stopped on the road blocking view of traffic. Everytime I look I get my hopes up only to realize that it's the same van. If those lights have been used on every TTC bus since they started buying LF buses they should continue to be used. And if the TTC is only planning on buying LF buses anyway, there'd be no reason not to.

What "standard orange lights" are you referring to? The clearance lights at the top and corners of the vehicles?

Those are necessary as mandated by law.

How about the orange lights on the NYCMTA buses?

They are used to signify that an emergency is happening on that vehicle. I don't recall if they flash or are steady though. Boston, among other properties, also use them.

Dan

What "standard orange lights" are you referring to? The clearance lights at the top and corners of the vehicles?

Of course. I wasn't clear enough; the addition of blue lights on top of the clearance lights makes it easier to tell a TTC bus from other vehicles.

They are used to signify that an emergency is happening on that vehicle. I don't recall if they flash or are steady though. Boston, among other properties, also use them.

Dan

Are those Orange emergency lights on the NYCMTA buses LEDs like our VIIs or just standard incandescent like our Vs?

Are those Orange emergency lights on the NYCMTA buses LEDs like our VIIs or just standard incandescent like our Vs?

Just like the TTC's blue lights, they were originally incandescent lights, and switched to LED's on newer vehicles as the technology became cheaper.

Dan

Dan

the orange lights nyc uses are in the exact same spot and use the same hardware and brackets (save the colour) as the w/c lights the ttc uses. they activate in conjunction with the horn, hazard lights and the destination sign will flash emergency- call 911- when the alarm is triggered. grand river transit's do this as well (sans corner lights)

boston has corner lights as well , also on the rear but they're green and as far as i know they're only used to pick out the bus from traffic at a distance.

My understanding with regard to the installation of blue lights on acessible buses was to aid the passenger in identifing if the lift/ramp is operational. So if the blue lights are off the passenger would know that the lift/ramp is not working. Can anyone confirm if this is actually true as I have only witnessed on two rare occassions where the blue lights were not working on 7000 series buses?

My understanding with regard to the installation of blue lights on acessible buses was to aid the passenger in identifing if the lift/ramp is operational. So if the blue lights are off the passenger would know that the lift/ramp is not working. Can anyone confirm if this is actually true as I have only witnessed on two rare occassions where the blue lights were not working on 7000 series buses?

The 96 Vs have a switch to turn on/off those blue lights by the driver, however, I don't know if they still have them. All other later models don't have this and if you see the blue lights not working, that particular light is probably broken.

I have never heard of that being policy.