OPUS/Magnetic Card Discussion

mtltransitguy

One advantage a CAM card does have over OPUS-type smart cards is during circumstances when you approach the bus you wish to board and the driver is taking a break outside smoking a cigarette or talking on his/her cellphone, etc.

All you need do is flash your CAM card in front of them and the driver generally nods permission for you to board, whereas if you flash your OPUS card, the driver has no way of knowing if that card even has any fares on it. Only the validator knows for sure, of course, which would then require the driver to watch you place it against the validator for verification.

I can therefore see circumstances whereby drivers would be told by management not to allow anyone on board unless they themselves were there to see you validate your OPUS card.

First attempt to re-load my opus with a July monthly RTL pass was a failure. The owner of the depanneur was apparently given the terminal with a French only set up manual, and had set it up incorrectly (The dep was in an area of Brossard where the population is mainly Hong Kong diaspora)... I gave up and left after he waited 10 minutes for technical support to answer ;) . Bilingual manuals would have been a really good thought.

Mike

First attempt to re-load my opus with a July monthly RTL pass was a failure. The owner of the depanneur was apparently given the terminal with a French only set up manual, and had set it up incorrectly (The dep was in an area of Brossard where the population is mainly Hong Kong diaspora)... I gave up and left after he waited 10 minutes for technical support to answer :P . Bilingual manuals would have been a really good thought.

Mike

It is not a language barrier, it a knowledge barrier !, I have also got problem within depanneur, pharmacies and other type of convient store and they speaks french, so trust me it is not a matter of language is a matter of proper training of the cashiers that makes the system so unreliable.

The Opus card works great with bus and metro reader. But the recharge system is a pain in the a.. I think is worst when you try to buy them outside of a transit company like RTL, STL-Laval, STM or AMT.

It is not a language barrier, it a knowledge barrier !, I have also got problem within depanneur, pharmacies and other type of convient store and they speaks french, so trust me it is not a matter of language is a matter of proper training of the cashiers that makes the system so unreliable.

The Opus card works great with bus and metro reader. But the recharge system is a pain in the a.. I think is worst when you try to buy them outside of a transit company like RTL, STL-Laval, STM or AMT.

That's exactly my point though... the dep owner wasn't given any training, he was given a terminal and a french only set up manual. In this case there was a language issue to go along with the problem. The real problem is not having the system set up by the person who delivers the terminal and 10+ minute waiting times for technical support, but a bilingual manual might have let him get it right the first time.

Mike

SMS is going to love this!

As per this morning's Métro newspaper, the STM's new magnetic card rollout has been suspended indefinitely! Just as they were about to enter the downtown core.

According to the STM, the old tickets are easier to use for tourists. Makes you wonder why they spent so much to switch the over...

Also in the Métro Newspaper today, the OPUS card which was pre-released last week has had almost no technical difficulties reported!

SMS is going to love this!

As per this morning's Métro newspaper, the STM's new magnetic card rollout has been suspended indefinitely! Just as they were about to enter the downtown core.

According to the STM, the old tickets are easier to use for tourists. Makes you wonder why they spent so much to switch the over...

Also in the Métro Newspaper today, the OPUS card which was pre-released last week has had almost no technical difficulties reported!

Here's the report from the newspaper.

MTC stops six-ticket card sales for summer

Jan Ravensbergen

The Gazette

Monday, July 07, 2008

MONTREAL - After introducing them last April, the Montreal Transit Corp. has quietly halted sales of six-ticket magnetic-strip cards for the rest of this summer, MTC official Marianne Rouette said Monday.

It will re-introduce them Sept. 2, Rouette added.

"People found it confusing," she said of the process required with the multiple-trip cards, which also double as transfers.

Customers who experienced the most difficulties were tourists, she said, as well as other occasional transit users.

"They would sometimes forget to retake the card" at métro stations, Rouette said - a move that can leave a forgetful tripcard user as much as $10 out of pocket, as well as without proof of fare payment.

The transit agency will continue selling one-trip versions of the magnetic-strip cards throughout the summer, Rouette said.

The rollout of the Opus smart-chip card continues as planned, she said, adding that slightly more than 9,000 Opus cards are currently in use.

This calls for a big belt of eeeelalallala

Whose the luddite now, dipstick?

(This comment is directed at a certain recently banned individual... good riddance)

Not surprised, something this complex needs good education. They'll iron out the kinks in Autumn, hopefully. As far as the tourist thing, that can be a nightmare, all transit outlets in the Down core should be bilingual(Just like Airport), people need to get around, if you want them to come back & be comfortable. I worked in Toronto for 5 years & told everyone that wanted to visit Montreal, that they were probably better off getting around the City by Taxi.

Or learn 20 words of french...

If they have to learn 20 words in french ... this is some words that could be in the list

- Oui (Yes)

- Non (No)

- Grille-Pain (Toaster)

- Autobus (Bus)

- Metro (Subway)

- Retard (Late)

- Feu (Fire)

- Panne (breakdown)

- pas présenté a l'arrêt (not showing up at the stop) (ok ... more than 1 word here ... FOUR !!!)

- Transfert (transfer)

- Scrap (Nova LFS)

- Ouest de l'île (Crappy service)

I havnt been to Montreal since January, and lots have changed, including the introduction of this new OPUS card system and new fare media. Just wondering does the STM still sells old fare media such as the as the cam-hebodo? Or do I have to buy a opus and then load a cam- hebdo? I couldnt find any info on this on the STM website.

I havnt been to Montreal since January, and lots have changed, including the introduction of this new OPUS card system and new fare media. Just wondering does the STM still sells old fare media such as the as the cam-hebodo? Or do I have to buy a opus and then load a cam- hebdo? I couldnt find any info on this on the STM website.

CAM Hebdo is still being sold in it's original form at all stations.

The information is available here:

http://billetsalacarte.info/en/main-nav/home/

The current system remains in effect if you are entitled to a reduced fare or if you use monthly (CAM) or weekly passes.

Hey guys!

At ATWATER and PEEL stations, the STM was distributing information about SCAM cards. I will quote now:

"La vente se poursuit à compter du 20 juillet 2008 à la loge du changeur et à la distributrice automatique des stations de métro suivantes:

Stations: Atwater, Guy-Concordia, Peel, McGill, Place-des-Arts, Saint-Laurent, Bonaventure, Square-Victoria, Place-d'Armes, Champ-de-Mars, Jean-Drapeau, Longueuil--Université-de-Sherbrooke."

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone want to tell me what's wrong with this?

Doesn't appear to be anything wrong. It was purchased July 26th and used the same day at 18:55.... Only one ticket was ever on the card so now this card is useless.

EDIT: For some reason, they all say 101 on the back.......

EDIT: For some reason, they all say 101 on the back.......

Thats it. I found that on the ground at LaRonde and when I saw the date and it said 101, it caught my attention. 101 Charlevoix is a rush hour only route, so why would it be "running" on a weekend?

I got another transfer but it says the proper route and run #. Anyone know the real reason why most transfers say 101?

101 Saint-Patrick!

I refuse outright to even pick up these SCAM cards off the ground. I am not a bum!

For the magnetic cards line 101 is used for the metro. The ticket was validated or issued in the metro. Don' t ask me why 101 was used as the line number for the metro...I have no idea.

For the magnetic cards line 101 is used for the metro. The ticket was validated or issued in the metro. Don' t ask me why 101 was used as the line number for the metro...I have no idea.

Yes, this is quite foolish...why not use the "real" line numbers?

Say if you validate on Line 1, it should print "01" etc.

Also, the "titles" to all of these cards are quite sloppy.

Since it must be programmed on each machine, you can get "Bill. Reg" at one place and "Tckt Ord." at others.

There needs to be more control over this, but oh wait, then it wouldn't be the STM... ;)

There is only one line code for the entire metro. This is because once the card is used in a metro turnstile, it cannot be used to re-enter the metro - on any line or any other station. I don't believe that 101 is a logical choice, since a bus route with the same number exists.

On another note, some passengers don't realize that a ticket is only valid to go from point A to point B using the quickest route - NO stop-overs, NO back-tracking. They think that it is only the line number printed on the ticket that they are not allowed to re-use. The card keeps in memory ALL routes and metro used on a trip. Once a magnetic card is validated in the metro on a certain line, it is banned from future use on that line.

Example: A guy gets on my bus (121) at the corner of cote-vertu and Lebeau (the 121 is the only line that goes there). He gets on with a magnetic card/transfer. He is within the 120 minutes and the line no is 165. The farebox goes red and the alarm goes off. The guy does not realize that the card is smarter than him. I asked him if he took the 121. He says nooooooo. When I asked how he got to cote-vertu and Lebeau when the only line that goes there is the 121, he replied aaaaaaaa. This is how the new system will cut down on fraud! People who use the bus to go back and forth or for stop-overs should buy a pass, its a lot cheaper.

There is only one line code for the entire metro. This is because once the card is used in a metro turnstile, it cannot be used to re-enter the metro - on any line or any other station. I don't believe that 101 is a logical choice, since a bus route with the same number exists.

On another note, some passengers don't realize that a ticket is only valid to go from point A to point B using the quickest route - NO stop-overs, NO back-tracking. They think that it is only the line number printed on the ticket that they are not allowed to re-use. The card keeps in memory ALL routes and metro used on a trip. Once a magnetic card is validated in the metro on a certain line, it is banned from future use on that line.

Example: A guy gets on my bus (121) at the corner of cote-vertu and Lebeau (the 121 is the only line that goes there). He gets on with a magnetic card/transfer. He is within the 120 minutes and the line no is 165. The farebox goes red and the alarm goes off. The guy does not realize that the card is smarter than him. I asked him if he took the 121. He says nooooooo. When I asked how he got to cote-vertu and Lebeau when the only line that goes there is the 121, he replied aaaaaaaa. This is how the new system will cut down on fraud! People who use the bus to go back and forth or for stop-overs should buy a pass, its a lot cheaper.

OK let me get this straight. Mr X. travelled from Cote-Vertu/Lebeau to where? And then how did he get to the 165? Assuming he travelled from Cote-Vertu/Lebeau to Cote-Vertu Metro and then entered the metro with his transfer... When he got off at Cote-des-Neiges it should have been OK.

What about a missing link? Let's say Mr X is downtown at Bonaventure. It's a weekday evening and he wants to go to Roxoboro. Mr X is cheap and doesn't want to take the train ;) so his route would be Metro, 64, 68.

What happens if the reader on the 64 is broken? Would it be considered a second trip when he gets on the 68 in Cartierville????

Now what about the train! These magnetic tickets ARE usable on the train! Assuming Mr. X was at La Ronde, boarded the 167 with his magnetic ticket and transferred onto the yellow line... Once at Bonaventure he gets off and takes the train, purchasing a TRAM 2 top-up faire (tarif combiné). One at Roxboro he boards the 68..... Will the 68 not allow him on?

So many questions, so many scams in progress.....

Im assuming the guy paid in the 165 and got a magnetic transfer. He then took the metro at Cote des Neiges to Snowdon, then the orange line from Snowdon to Cote-vertu, then the 121 from cote-vertu station to cote-vertu and Lebeau. He then wanted to board the 121 once again to return toward cote vertu metro thinking that since only 165 is stamped on his ticket, that I wouldn't know that he took the 121 ;)

The system can't tell if there is a missing link in your trip. The only restriction, other than the 120 minute delay, is that you can't ride the same line twice (the metro is line 101)