OPUS/Magnetic Card Discussion

mtltransitguy

Anyone see today's INFO STM? The two pageer details the new R-105 rule with regards to transit fare use. Among some of the interesting points:

OPUS's official name (in French) is: Carte a Puce Commune de Transport or Carte a Puce Occasionnel

A transfer is now called a "Support Conforme"

The new rule also guarantees 120 minutes of transit time on any bus or metro provided no duplicate lines or reentry into the metro.

Anyone see today's INFO STM? The two pageer details the new R-105 rule with regards to transit fare use. Among some of the interesting points:

OPUS's official name (in French) is: Carte a Puce Commune de Transport or Carte a Puce Occasionnel

A transfer is now called a "Support Conforme"

The new rule also guarantees 120 minutes of transit time on any bus or metro provided no duplicate lines or reentry into the metro.

HAHAHA! What did I tell you! Our crappy boxes can't take anything else!

Did you read the whole thing? It's huge!

HAHAHA! What did I tell you! Our crappy boxes can't take anything else!

Did you read the whole thing? It's huge!

I did read the whole thing. When I saw the cover of the Metro and it said two pages, I immediately jumped to those pages, only to see 2 full pages of fine print...

BTW, monthly pass holders are not allowed to take transfers $75 fine...

I did read the whole thing. When I saw the cover of the Metro and it said two pages, I immediately jumped to those pages, only to see 2 full pages of fine print...

BTW, monthly pass holders are not allowed to take transfers $75 fine...

Wow, congratulations!....How long did that take!?! :)

LOL to that, my pass is in my pocket, good luck with them telling me I didn't use a ticket!

"Sir, step aside and put the pass down!!!!!!!!! PUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!! Nobody has to get hurt...just put the pass down!!!!!!"

If anyone has a CAM card and wants to get a FREE OPUS card they can exchange their current CAM card and save the $3.50 fee:

June 23rd 06:00 - 12:00 and June 25th 12:00 - 18:00

Henri-Bourassa, Sauvé, Crémazie et Jarry

June 26th 06:00 - 12:00

Laurier, Mont-Royal, Sherbrooke et Berri-UQAM

June 27th 12:00 - 18:00

Berri-UQAM, Beaudry, Papineau, Frontenac, Préfontaine, Joliette et Pie-IX

A maximum of 3000 OPUS cards will be given. Void for TRAM users :P

If anyone has a CAM card and wants to get a FREE OPUS card they can exchange their current CAM card and save the $3.50 fee:

June 23rd 06:00 - 12:00 and June 25th 12:00 - 18:00

Henri-Bourassa, Sauvé, Crémazie et Jarry

June 26th 06:00 - 12:00

Laurier, Mont-Royal, Sherbrooke et Berri-UQAM

June 27th 12:00 - 18:00

Berri-UQAM, Beaudry, Papineau, Frontenac, Préfontaine, Joliette et Pie-IX

A maximum of 3000 OPUS cards will be given. Void for TRAM users :)

3000 per date or 3000 in total?

So if I got one tommorow, would it be loaded for this month's remainder days correct? Can I choose to have it reloaded for next month if I like?

I bought my Opus Card today at the pharmacy near where i lived in Laval, it cost me ! 3,50$. When i try to use it at the Montmorency Metro station the card was virgin. It has to be programmed to work. they put a montmorency ticket on my Opus card 2,75 $ and charge me again for the card. 3,50 $ = 6,25 $. The card was set to go for the next 2 hour. So i went downtown to ÉTS and back on the metro Berri-UQAM then to Honoré-Beaugrand where i could put ticket on my opus card. They have a problem adding ticket on my opus card. They change my opus card for another one and they put 12 tickets for 24 $ on. Now i use my opus card in Montréal and my STL magnetic card in Laval. In everything works fine everything will be on the opus card at the end of the year.

Are they giving out these cards for adult fare passes only, or can you get them for student fare as well? I've been wondering that for a while now. If I can get it for the student fare now, then I'll take care of it tomorrow.

I thought student OPUS cards required a picture ID on reverse of said card... so I'm not sure they will qualify.

On the other hand, adult OPUS is theoretically transferable if there is no picture ID on the reverse!

I bought my Opus Card today at the pharmacy near where i lived in Laval, it cost me ! 3,50$. When i try to use it at the Montmorency Metro station the card was virgin. It has to be programmed to work. they put a montmorency ticket on my Opus card 2,75 $ and charge me again for the card. 3,50 $ = 6,25 $. The card was set to go for the next 2 hour. So i went downtown to ÉTS and back on the metro Berri-UQAM then to Honoré-Beaugrand where i could put ticket on my opus card. They have a problem adding ticket on my opus card. They change my opus card for another one and they put 12 tickets for 24 $ on. Now i use my opus card in Montréal and my STL magnetic card in Laval. In everything works fine everything will be on the opus card at the end of the year.

Which Pharmacy was this? You'll probably be able to load a CAM on it at select stations (see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellergraham/2573946767/). If you use a TRAM you're probably out of luck (as usual).

Are they giving out these cards for adult fare passes only, or can you get them for student fare as well? I've been wondering that for a while now. If I can get it for the student fare now, then I'll take care of it tomorrow.

If I recall, they're just for adult fares for now.

Which Pharmacy was this? You'll probably be able to load a CAM on it at select stations (see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellergraham/2573946767/). If you use a TRAM you're probably out of luck (as usual).

It's an Uniprix pharmacy at the corner of De la concorde ouest and Laval boulevard 2 minutes walk off De la Concorde Train Station or 5 Minutes walk from Montmorency Train Station. But I don't recommand that you buy it there. I got a lot of problem today with it and it cost me 2 x 3,50$ = 7$ because the card that they sell me was virgin (uninitiallized) so wait a few month until those bugs are fixed before buying the Opus Card.

No. As previously stated above, all students will be required to purchase an OPUS, when they renew their access cards in August, that is the only option, you can't buy it early, and you cant keep using CAM's after a certain date.

Regular fare users will have the option for a while.

I thought student OPUS cards required a picture ID on reverse of said card... so I'm not sure they will qualify.

On the other hand, adult OPUS is theoretically transferable if there is no picture ID on the reverse!

They wont, see above.

Yup, that isn't a problem at all, and that is what the STM is doing.

Which Pharmacy was this? You'll probably be able to load a CAM on it at select stations (see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellergraham/2573946767/). If you use a TRAM you're probably out of luck (as usual)

If I recall, they're just for adult fares for now.

Read far above, I posted a story about someone purchasing thier Zone 3, and being given the option to but it on an OPUS, and not wanting to pay the extra charge for it.

TRAM users were the first to be able to use an OPUS.

It's an Uniprix pharmacy at the corner of De la concorde ouest and Laval boulevard 2 minutes walk off De la Concorde Train Station or 5 Minutes walk from Montmorency Train Station. But I don't recommand that you buy it there. I got a lot of problem today with it and it cost me 2 x 3,50$ = 7$ because the card that they sell me was virgin (uninitiallized) so wait a few month until those bugs are fixed before buying the Opus Card.

Well that is exactly what I want, but I didnt know you could load anything onto it yet, cause the machines I've used, including in Laval, still only sell magnetic cards only.

I guess it's changed by now. If that is the case, then we can upload tickets and passes to an OPUS?

Why did they charge you again?

If that dep is selling the cards, they are supposed to have the machine to put fares onto it.

So it seems that in order to buy an OPUS you have to load at least one fare onto it?

If that rings true, then the minimum cost for an OPUS card, currently resides at $5.50.

No. As previously stated above, all students will be required to purchase an OPUS, when they renew their access cards in August, that is the only option, you can't buy it early, and you cant keep using CAM's after a certain date.

Regular fare users will have the option for a while.

They wont, see above.

Yup, that isn't a problem at all, and that is what the STM is doing.

Read far above, I posted a story about someone purchasing thier Zone 3, and being given the option to but it on an OPUS, and not wanting to pay the extra charge for it.

TRAM users were the first to be able to use an OPUS.

Well that is exactly what I want, but I didnt know you could load anything onto it yet, cause the machines I've used, including in Laval, still only sell magnetic cards only.

I guess it's changed by now. If that is the case, then we can upload tickets and passes to an OPUS?

Why did they charge you again?

If that dep is selling the cards, they are supposed to have the machine to put fares onto it.

They do but can only put STL and AMT fare they don't sell STM tickets.

You could buy STL CAL at 74$, STL 8-B-O at 18$ and AMT TRAM 3 from there but you should buy you opus card straight from the STM.

So it seems that in order to buy an OPUS you have to load at least one fare onto it?

If that rings true, then the minimum cost for an OPUS card, currently resides at $5.50.

False! the minimum is 6,25$ = 3,50$ for the card and 2,75 for 1 STM ticket. if you want to buy each ticket at 2 $ each, you need to pay for 6 tickets so 12,00$ + 3,50$ = 15,50$ in all.

I had to pay twice because my card was not initialized at the pharmacy (virgin card). So they taught that maybe i had stole it which is ofcourse false. I have the receipt and everything to prove my purchase. It is stupid from the monty guy to make me paid twice for the card buy the girls at the store did not know how it is working.

Anyway what is done is done !

Now i just hope i will be able to buy my STL bus ticket on my Opus Card next time that i need them. I have still my STL 8 ticket magnetic card that is not fully used.

One thing that isn't yet clear (and which I will have to find out) is what happens if your OPUS card has a few tickets left on it, but you want to upgrade it to a monthly CAM?

Using your credit or debit card, would the vending machine deduct the value of any remaining tickets, re-program the card for a month, and then send the balance of coins jingling into your waiting hands, thus rounding out the proper amount, or must you have an "empty" OPUS card with no remaining single fares on it before you can reload it for a CAM's worth?

Curiouser and curiouser.

One thing that isn't yet clear (and which I will have to find out) is what happens if your OPUS card has a few tickets left on it, but you want to upgrade it to a monthly CAM?

Using your credit or debit card, would the vending machine deduct the value of any remaining tickets, re-program the card for a month, and then send the balance of coins jingling into your waiting hands, thus rounding out the proper amount, or must you have an "empty" OPUS card with no remaining single fares on it before you can reload it for a CAM's worth?

Curiouser and curiouser.

I thought of the same thing but with commuter trains.

Assuming I'm at a Zone 1 station and my OPUS card has 6 Zone 3 and 6 Zone 5 tickets. When I tap my card, which will it deduct?

Even more curiouser!