Ontario Northland Railway

BCT-3122-D800-10240

You mean Ontario Northland , this is a provincal owned transportion company for northern Ontario

they operate freight and passenger rail service and bus service

Yes I know that was the name for the buses, and I knew the rail and bus operations were related, but I was going by the name on the Locomotive... Thanks.

Interesting how they no longer have the "rail services" tag on each side. I always wondered was "rail services" a department of the Province responsible for Ontario Northland?

"Ontario Northland Transportation Commission" is the name of the organization that provides Ontario Northland rail and bus service, among other services, to Northern Ontario.

Dan

"Ontario Northland Transportation Commission" is the name of the organization that provides Ontario Northland rail and bus service, among other services, to Northern Ontario.

Dan

what else do they still owned besides some river barging services, since they have closed or sold off the airline, the trucking company and the telephone company over the years

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
For anyone interested and ballin'.

The cute lady at the desk did not know if this will be recurring though.

... and, it was either this thread or the General Railway thread.

Yup, looks like it would be a lot of fun. A friend of mine is going and will (hopefully) be giving a full trip report upon his return.

Dan

For anyone interested and ballin'.

The cute lady at the desk did not know if this will be recurring though.

... and, it was either this thread or the General Railway thread.

Dang. Had I known sooner I'd have booked some vacay time for it.

Oh well.

From the 3 times I've ridden it, it usually arrives and departs on track/gate 1.

Gate 1 is on the VIA level, walk a bit past the Harvey's and gate 1 is on your left shortly after.

I don't know about what gate, but most times I've seen it the morning, it's sitting on track 7 between platforms 13 and 14. I've have seen it go from track 1 / platform 3 a couple of times... including once with a GO bi-level car tacked on the rear! I guess it was being taken to O.N.'s workshop for renovation. (Either that, or there were a lot of bookings forth northlander that morning...)

Yup, looks like it would be a lot of fun. A friend of mine is going and will (hopefully) be giving a full trip report upon his return.

Dan

It'd be great if you could reverberate some of his travels for us if he does get around to letting you know how it went. It would be a great to hear his testimony to this excursion for future reference :lol:

Dang. Had I known sooner I'd have booked some vacay time for it.

Oh well.

... You and I both.

----------------------------

I figured later on in the spring or early summer would have been a better time for it, or would Easter be too much to ask...? March seems like a trying time to be trenching through dirty snow everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know which part of track does Ontario Northland travel on? I know it travels on the same path on parts of the GO Transit's Richmond Hill line, but what happens next?

ONR's Northlander travels the Bala Sub from the Don all the way to Washago where it diverges to the right onto the remaining portion of the Newmarket Sub for the trip back to home rails on the Temagami Sub in North Bay.

ONR's Northlander travels the Bala Sub from the Don all the way to Washago where it diverges to the right onto the remaining portion of the Newmarket Sub for the trip back to home rails on the Temagami Sub in North Bay.

It more or less follows the same route as The Canadian south of Washago. The only difference is that it uses the Bala Sub. both ways heading into and out of Toronto, since the train can be turned around at TMC using the small Wye on the southeast side of the property. The Canadian would require too many switching manouvers (and time, which often they don't have) to perform that task, which is why it leaves Toronto in a rather roundabout fashion.

It more or less follows the same route as The Canadian south of Washago. The only difference is that it uses the Bala Sub. both ways heading into and out of Toronto, since the train can be turned around at TMC using the small Wye on the southeast side of the property. The Canadian would require too many switching manouvers (and time, which often they don't have) to perform that task, which is why it leaves Toronto in a rather roundabout fashion.

That epxlain why I saw The Canadian depart the wrong way... does it go via the Weston/Halton/York subs to get to the Bala sub? (Given how long that train gets, they should really run a daily train of half the length, but that's another topic).

That epxlain why I saw The Canadian depart the wrong way... does it go via the Weston/Halton/York subs to get to the Bala sub? (Given how long that train gets, they should really run a daily train of half the length, but that's another topic).

Canadian departs westbound out of Union to the Newmarket Sub, they reach Snider North then back down to the York Sub and continue east to Doncaster then up the Bala Sub.

• 2 weeks later...
Canadian departs westbound out of Union to the Newmarket Sub, they reach Snider North then back down to the York Sub and continue east to Doncaster then up the Bala Sub.

That can't be right... there's no chord from Newmarket Sub northbound to the York Sub eastbound.

If you can read my post carefully again, they back down to the York Sub from the Newmarket sub at Snider North.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=...mp;t=h&z=17

Here's a link to make things simpler, seeing that the connecting track is at the north-west quadrant where the old diamond used to be. The train would pull north clear of the signal at Snider North then back down the connecting track illustrated in the link onto the York Subdivision clear of the dwarf signals then pull east to Doncaster as per signal indication.

• 1 month later...