Peeves in everyday life...

Tranzit

He could have been going as fast as cars in the left lane and was passed by someone going faster than everyone on the road. I've seen that a couple times before.

Hmmm. That used to happen on the 401. Because all the idiots getting on from the onramps insist on being in the left lane right away, EVERYBODY moves into the left lane. Plus, you've got the idiots who are sitting in the middle lane at 100-110 with cruise control and NO regard for the context of the traffic around them. The signs say "Slower Traffic Keep Right". I can't tell you the number of times I've been nicely sailing along at 110 in my default right lane (think of 3 lanes in each direction on the 401), I come up to bunched up traffic all doing 80-100 in the left and middle lane. I see no reason to join that gummed up traffic, so I simply continue on my way at 110 in the right lane where I was all along. Within minutes I am looking back in my rearview mirror, smooth sailing and can see a large clump of traffic way back in the middle and hammer lanes, various people not paying attention, usually gummed up by ONE person sitting at the speed limit in the left or middle lane on cruise.

You do realize that a large volume of cars on a highway will slow it down, regardless of how fast everyone wants to go? When you have that many cars in one place, things don't go as smoothly as you might want them to.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the signs say slower traffic keep right? If people are passing you on the right it is because you are not obeying proper lane courtesy. Slower traffic keep right.

On a 4 lane boulevard (curbside lane for parking) they still pass you on the right and I'm in the 2nd lane which I am preparing to get to the left one really soon to turn left.

Contrary to some opinions, there are no laws against passing on the right. Just because you are plodding along in the middle lane waiting to move to the left turn lane, there is nothing which says I must get in behind you and be dictated by your pace. Traffic must be allowed to flow and passing slower vehicles on the right in the scenario you have described is perfectly acceptable and legal. The rest of us have places to go, no time to sit behind you waiting for you to make a left turn. If everybody did so, traffic would never move. There is always someone turning here or turning there. At some point I need to make turns too, in which case folks are more than welcome to go around me and be on their way too. And on it goes. :)

Contrary to some opinions, there are no laws against passing on the right. Just because you are plodding along in the middle lane waiting to move to the left turn lane, there is nothing which says I must get in behind you and be dictated by your pace. Traffic must be allowed to flow and passing slower vehicles on the right in the scenario you have described is perfectly acceptable and legal. The rest of us have places to go, no time to sit behind you waiting for you to make a left turn. If everybody did so, traffic would never move. There is always someone turning here or turning there. At some point I need to make turns too, in which case folks are more than welcome to go around me and be on their way too. And on it goes. :)

You can pass me on the right if I *AM* turning left or waiting to in the correct left lane (non dedicated by the way), not pass me on the right at 100mph because I'm in the middle lane which I am going to switch to the left lane real soon. Quebec is terrible for motorists.

Btw on the topic of health care cards, they forced me to go with that photo ID card, my parents nor did I want it, so I ended up getting one of the new ones in the end, it was forced on us, so they probably did reinstate that card replacement program.

Btw on the topic of health care cards, they forced me to go with that photo ID card, my parents nor did I want it, so I ended up getting one of the new ones in the end, it was forced on us, so they probably did reinstate that card replacement program.

How did they "force" you??

If you are on a street with a parallel parking on the side of the street, can you use that parallel parking area to pass someone on the right?

I don't know. Pretty all the drivers I get on my 68 do this while going down Mont-Bleu.

Only an idiot will do that. On a small street like that, there is no need to go over the speed limit anyways. NOT reccomended.

Well then most drivers in my city must be idiots. What's even worse is when people drive in the lanes, and its always above speed limit. I've thought about just paying some cars and placing them along the parking lanes at regular intervals to prevent it, but the city would probably get pissy about it.

If you are on a street with a parallel parking on the side of the street, can you use that parallel parking area to pass someone on the right?

I don't see the problem with this. Do those of you who are opposed to this actually drive? It's no picnic and in the city you need to keep flow and keep moving. If you stop behind every bus and other left-turning vehicle you'll never get anywhere. You are allowed to go around. Parallel parked cars do get in the way, which is why they are not allowed during certain times of the day. I love it when I see such cars being towed. Happens daily here. Traffic needs that extra lane in rush hour.

Do any of you who drive ever walk or ride bikes?

CBC's Fifth Estate had a report last year on aggressive driving. Their aggressive driver finished a loop on Toronto's busy highways four minutes faster than a driver who only changed lanes or passed when absolutely necessary. Is if really worth it if your impatience hurts someone?

Anyone who rides a bike in the city should know going in that they are taking a significant risk of injury to their person. It's simply not a good idea and I don't feel that bicycles belong in modern traffic. They are simply in the way and should be banned. As far as walking, yes, I do it and I am safe about it. I walk and drive and can tell you that while no cars ever wait for me to cross (when I've got the walk signal they simply zoom around me and agitate and rev their motor), many pedestrians are no angels either.

I do have a habit of purposely taking longer to cross when people are turning without using their signals. Which, is pretty much every time I cross a street.

Their own fault. I thought they were going straight.

I do have a habit of purposely taking longer to cross when people are turning without using their signals. Which, is pretty much every time I cross a street.

Their own fault. I thought they were going straight.

LOL! Sounds good to me.

I can't tell you the number of times I've wanted to give the cars that zoom around me at intersections a good swift kick. But then the dummies who are aggressive to the point of zooming around pedestrians in that manner are probably eager to fight. No thanks. I have places to go, not fight with impatient drivers.