Peeves in everyday life...

Tranzit

6 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

"I wish every day was Christmas" song that was already in progress.  Every day?  I'm sorry to go total Grinch here but once a year is too often sometimes.

The spirit of Christmas (like Peace on Earth & Goodwill towards mankind) should be everyday, but we have yet to achieve that. There is always a war or some other nastiness going on.

20 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

The spirit of Christmas (like Peace on Earth & Goodwill towards mankind) should be everyday, but we have yet to achieve that. There is always a war or some other nastiness going on.

You're totally right.  All of that spirit of Christmas is commendable in principle and really should be an everyday thing, but in practice, the followthrough just doesn't happen.  Realistically, it's a consumerism driven spendfest that's really got absolutely nothing to do with the religious holiday on the calendar that it's scheduled on.  One of the advertisements on that streaming radio station is for a Secret Santa deal from Cadbury's.  The thrust of it is that if you order a chocolate bar for someone online, they'll send it to them for free plus donate a second one to charity.  That's the sort of thing I can get behind but the rest of it no, and I certainly don't need to hear any of the awful music.  Nobody ever wrote a song about the children getting thrashed once the last guest leaves and the lights on the tree are unplugged and the phoney, fake plastic smiles come off.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just when I thought online shopping couldn't get more obscene, our store has introduced a new shopping option for timed pick ups.

Because of course. Never mind that we barely had enough personnel to provide baseline in-person services in the Delta era, now that we have omicron threatening to completely incapacitate the country all at once, that is the best time for Sharon to demand that we have her electric fireplace when it's convenient for her, and woe betide you if it's not ready!

• Sad 1

Due to an employee shortage at a local Shoppers Drug Mart, weekend hours got reduced from 8 AM to 12 AM to instead 8 AM to 8 PM. Which of course will frustrate some people who are used to the consistent opening hours except for holidays and having to visit an alternative store.

It is only for one month, but could possibly be extended. Feel bad for pharmacists who are trying to do 100 different things within the allotted time window and instead now have to figure out how to squeeze in the same load with less hours. From vaccinations, COVID-19 testing and filling prescriptions really adds up making sure that it is all billed correctly to the proper party.

Ever since COVID-19 happened, I noticed the operating hours have been under tight scrutiny and reductions taken when needed to ensure profitability for Shoppers Drug Mart locations. Where as before, they kept the same hours even if they had low performing hours being made up by the more profitable daytime hours. 

1 minute ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Due to an employee shortage at a local Shoppers Drug Mart, weekend hours got reduced from 8 AM to 12 AM to instead 8 AM to 8 PM. Which of course will frustrate some people who are used to the consistent opening hours except for holidays and having to visit an alternative store.

It is only for one month, but could possibly be extended. Feel bad for pharmacists who are trying to do 100 different things within the allotted time window and instead now have to figure out how to squeeze in the same load with less hours. From vaccinations, COVID-19 testing and filling prescriptions really adds up making sure that it is all billed correctly to the proper party.

Ever since COVID-19 happened, I noticed the operating hours have been under tight scrutiny and reductions taken when needed to ensure profitability for Shoppers Drug Mart locations. Where as before, they kept the same hours even if they had low performing hours being made up by the more profitable daytime hours. 

This is a worldwide issue overall.

Twelve.

TWELVE was the number of sick calls that we had today.

I really hope corporate doesn't think we are actually able to run our store like this. And of course, all of our lovely clientele are still as impatient and entitled as ever. I'm almost hoping for another lockdown so that they'd at least be stuck outside instead of us having to deal with them.

PSA to all hardware store shoppers or would-be hardware store shoppers: in the ancient days of 1997, Google invented a search option that enables you access to a wide ranging trove of knowledge. Use it. If you are coming into this store and asking college students and grandmas what tool you need for your project, you have no business doing any kind of home improvement project. And if you're a contractor, you should have your license revoked as you are a danger to society at large.

1/3rd of the workforce down with covid all at once but Ken has to get his home improvement advice now!

• Like 1

"It's urgent"

Yes, I know it's urgent.  The world is ending.  It's totally urgent.  If the equipment being in working condition is urgent, my recommendation is to stop performing dangerous operations on it and breaking it.  That'll save you the downtime.  Calling me and telling me it's urgent isn't going to make it get fixed any sooner because reinstalling the control software goes as fast as the embedded computer system will march that little progress bar across the screen and I can't make it go any faster.

Honest to peter, Omicron and two weeks off sounds pretty good right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

"It's urgent"

Yes, I know it's urgent.  The world is ending.  It's totally urgent.  If the equipment being in working condition is urgent, my recommendation is to stop performing dangerous operations on it and breaking it.  That'll save you the downtime.  Calling me and telling me it's urgent isn't going to make it get fixed any sooner because reinstalling the control software goes as fast as the embedded computer system will march that little progress bar across the screen and I can't make it go any faster.

Honest to peter, Omicron and two weeks off sounds pretty good right now.

Omicron’s no fun. And so far I’m two weeks in and still coughing.

• Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Omicron’s no fun. And so far I’m two weeks in and still coughing.

When I had it, the cough was about the last to go and it took about 5-6 weeks.

Let’s add “nested driver updates”.  I am now working on another piece of garbage that someone trashed and I’m having to uninstall nested device driver upgrades until it’s all gone and I’m at least four revisions in to rolling back.  All this because I have to keep this thing functional after removing the remote control work from home software because it’s being held for a failure investigation.

After this, I need to put together a replacement and that’s going to take the balance of the day while work from home laptop supervision and management keeps pounding my smart phone with demands to do it faster.  I still can’t go faster than the computer moves.

• 3 weeks later...

Actual conversation I had at work today:

We needed 32 pieces of plywood for an order, miraculously 32 pieces of plywood were on the shelf. Co-worker tells me to stand guard while she grabs a cart. Customer comes up to me.

"Is this (thickness of plywood he needs)?"
"Yup."
"Has it been sold?"
"Yup."
"Has the customer paid for it already?"
"Yup."
"Well, you can reimburse him for one."
-takes sheet-

Seriously guys, I know retail workers are basically neutered house cats, but fuck off. The fact that you are in the store over someone ordering online doesn't mean a goddamn thing, it's not my problem that all the stuff has been spoken for already, it's not your fucking merchandise, get your grubby little paws off of it and stop making my job more difficult than it needs to be.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

When you make an appointment or make plans to meet someone and they don't keep word to that time to meet and they keep you waiting. What the fuck is the point then of a meet-up time? I get it, it won't be exactly at that time. I don't mind being 5 or 10 minutes early or delayed but at least within that meet up time. Plan ahead with Traffic, and personal matters before hand. If someone says 12:30, I'll be there for 12:30. Not me showing up for that time or on my way, getting a text that there running late by a half hour or an hour. Come on. Your holding my time up and not keeping your side of the agreement. For appointments, this doesn't surprise me, unless you are the first client of the day, you are expected to wait. Whether at the doctor's or doing business. Expect to wait and sit starring into your phone. But at least I prepare myself or expect it. 

I don't waste people's time and people should expect the same on their end. While I enjoy going out and making plans with friends, this really pisses me off when they invite me and From the start, it's all delayed because someone can't get with the program. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Greatcoinz said:

When you make an appointment or make plans to meet someone and they don't keep word to that time to meet and they keep you waiting. What the fuck is the point then of a meet-up time? I get it, it be exactly at time. I don't mind being 5 or 10 minutes early or delayed but at least within that meet up time. Plan ahead with Traffic, and personal matters before hand. If someone says 12:30, I'll be there for 12:30. Not me showing up for that time or on my way, getting a text that there running late by a half hour or an hour. Come on. Your holding my time up and not keeping your side of the agreement. For appointments, this doesn't surprise me, unless you are the first client of the day, you are expected to wait. Whether at the doctor's or doing business. Expect to wait and sit starring into your phone. But at least I prepare myself or expect it. 

I don't waste people's time and people should expect the same on their end. While I enjoy going out and making plans with friends, this really pisses me off when they invite me and From the start, it's all delayed because someone can't get with the program. 

I hate when I make the effort to get to an appointment on time  or early and I have to wait….I mean I get things come up…

3 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

When you make an appointment or make plans to meet someone and they don't keep word to that time to meet and they keep you waiting. What the fuck is the point then of a meet-up time? I get it, it be exactly at time. I don't mind being 5 or 10 minutes early or delayed but at least within that meet up time. Plan ahead with Traffic, and personal matters before hand. If someone says 12:30, I'll be there for 12:30. Not me showing up for that time or on my way, getting a text that there running late by a half hour or an hour. Come on. Your holding my time up and not keeping your side of the agreement. For appointments, this doesn't surprise me, unless you are the first client of the day, you are expected to wait. Whether at the doctor's or doing business. Expect to wait and sit starring into your phone. But at least I prepare myself or expect it. 

Totally 100% agree with you. I HAD a friend that I constantly had to wait for. Not just a few minutes, but an hour or two. And she always wanted to meet up for lunch or supper. So I would get there a few minutes early to hold a table down for us. Once, at a very busy pho place (where people eat hurriedly and leave because it's so lined up) I had already been waiting 30-45 minutes. I texted her, and she said she is waiting for her pants to come out of the dryer. Really, couldn't think of that sooner? These were not last minute plans. Then she has the audacity to tell me I have nothing better to do with my time than to wait for her. Sometimes I like doing nothing, and I don't want to spend it waiting for her, or anyone for that matter. My time is my time, not anyone else's.  We are NO LONGER friends.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, T3G said:

Fast food joints/grocery stores that don't open/serve food until 11 am. Because people working the morning shift can get fucked, right?

This sort of thing is a sore spot with me too.  The Metro store at the plaza up the street from me used to be 24 hour.  It was great when I was on the 4:00-midnight shift and I'd get off the highway, cruise down the main street in the area to the plaza, pick up whatever I needed while it was quiet and then zip around the corner home and call it a night.  The same was true about being able to get things before heading out to a midnight start without having to worry about getting it all done before the 9:00 PM closing time that all the stores have settled on in this area.

Unfortunately, that ended when they renotaved the store and they started closing it overnight to provide time for the construction work.  The hours never got put back once they finished and I asked about it several times but all I got was softball excuses.  The worst was when they put this awful 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM shift on at work for a number of years.  Thankfully that has since been abandoned because it was a nightmare trying to get anything done by the time you factor in the commute time on either side of those hours.  Everything's set up around a 9-5 world and if you happen to work shifts, get stuffed, figure out a way to work around it.

• 1 month later...

When you're trying to negotiate a purchase and the seller ends up backing out without telling you.

There was a guy who was selling some old TTC memorabilia including some out of print books I inquired about. He told me to make an offer so I did, for the books. He told me he wanted to sell the whole thing instead of piecemeal. I told him I don't have that kind of money. This was a week ago and he hasn't responded. So I guess that's it? Can't even bother to let me know that we won't be able to reach an agreement? Chrissakes.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The flaming imbeciles who do this shit:

I spilled a bit of someone else's coffee on myself today while cleaning up this mess. Is it that fucking hard to hold onto your garbage until you come across an emptier garbage can? It's a big box store, we have more of those than we have personnel. Christ.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:52 PM, T3G said:

The flaming imbeciles who do this shit:

image.thumb.png.8e85324e43f3c794354ab8adaa3a9e0d.png

I spilled a bit of someone else's coffee on myself today while cleaning up this mess. Is it that fucking hard to hold onto your garbage until you come across an emptier garbage can? It's a big box store, we have more of those than we have personnel. Christ.

Comment deleted.

On 7/27/2022 at 9:15 PM, captaintrolley said:

It seems life is one big pet peeve these days.

Quoted for truth.

Related, something that's been getting on my nerves a lot lately is how every modern contraption seems to be equipped with some shrill, loud, and usually superflous beeper. We have lots of these at work; most recently, I've been getting extremely irritated by scan guns that beep every 3 seconds if their battery is low and they are charging. More than once while on duty I've taken the scan guns if they are not on a regularly used register (we have two overflow registers for busy times) and shoved them in a drawer for the duration of my shift. Then there are security tags on various high value products, which constitute the biggest and most pointless waste of time and most headache inducing "security measure" ever devised. No theft has ever been deterred by these, and we have a million different models, all deactivated a different way, and all of them trigger an alarm inside the register if you place it down on the register to remove the security tag. So now you have to drop the product on the dirty ground if you don't want some stupid alarm going off in your ear.

The same goes for stuff like Toronto's new streetcars, which for some ungodly reason have to have beeps to signify that the doors are opening (two of them), then door chimes (for every door, which frequently don't close together), and then another high pitched beep... to signify that the doors are locked?

It's a small wonder that anything productive gets done in this day and age when the only jobs that still exist seem to be charged with making life as headache inducing as possible.

On 7/29/2022 at 6:25 PM, T3G said:

Quoted for truth.

Related, something that's been getting on my nerves a lot lately is how every modern contraption seems to be equipped with some shrill, loud, and usually superflous beeper. We have lots of these at work; most recently, I've been getting extremely irritated by scan guns that beep every 3 seconds if their battery is low and they are charging. More than once while on duty I've taken the scan guns if they are not on a regularly used register (we have two overflow registers for busy times) and shoved them in a drawer for the duration of my shift. Then there are security tags on various high value products, which constitute the biggest and most pointless waste of time and most headache inducing "security measure" ever devised. No theft has ever been deterred by these, and we have a million different models, all deactivated a different way, and all of them trigger an alarm inside the register if you place it down on the register to remove the security tag. So now you have to drop the product on the dirty ground if you don't want some stupid alarm going off in your ear.

The same goes for stuff like Toronto's new streetcars, which for some ungodly reason have to have beeps to signify that the doors are opening (two of them), then door chimes (for every door, which frequently don't close together), and then another high pitched beep... to signify that the doors are locked?

It's a small wonder that anything productive gets done in this day and age when the only jobs that still exist seem to be charged with making life as headache inducing as possible.

Gratuitous noise is one of my major pet peeves as well.  My truck has an extra piece of equipment that lets out this awful shrill shrieking beep when I start up the truck and the 12V power comes on.  One way or another, this will be getting disabled.

The transit vehicle gratuitous noise that was a total mystery to everyone I know are the SEPTA Broad Street Subway cars.  Starting up from every station, the PA system would blast a loud beep but it was after the doors had closed and the train begun to accelerate so it can't have been intended as a warning that either was about to happen since they'd already taken place.  My understanding is that  got scrapped once they retrofitted automatic stop announcements but jeez, a loud beep to tell you that the train had already closed up and started moving as if it wasn't obvious in and of itself?

• Like 1

I thought I posted this one before, but apparently not, so here it goes.

When people complain about you using hand sanitizer, air freshener, or anything like that, because they don't like the chemical smell, or some other silly reason. Seriously, you're gonna complain about those chemicals instead of whatever necessitated the use of said chemicals in the first place?? ??‍♂️?‍♂️