Peeves in everyday life...

Tranzit

Lying in bed at 2 am watching youtube videos on your phone at minimum volume, rewinding part of a video & putting the phone right up to your ear to hear the audio once more, and being hit with a deafening DING!! gmail notification from "ebay: help us protect your account" which gets sent out from time to time, and "just happened" to pop up at this exact moment. Lol seriously? Fuck right off.

And another one that happened about 30 mins earlier: quietly sneaking out of your room, and of course bumping into the robot vacuum cleaner on the floor.

7 hours ago, 81-717 said:

Lying in bed at 2 am watching youtube videos on your phone at minimum volume, rewinding part of a video & putting the phone right up to your ear to hear the audio once more, and being hit with a deafening DING!! gmail notification from "ebay: help us protect your account" which gets sent out from time to time, and "just happened" to pop up at this exact moment. Lol seriously? Fuck right off.

And another one that happened about 30 mins earlier: quietly sneaking out of your room, and of course bumping into the robot vacuum cleaner on the floor.

I've got pretty much most audible notifications disabled on my phone so they don't do that and interrupt what I'm doing and because with shiftwork, I really, really don't need the avalanche of them that happens during the day wrecking my sleep while I'm on nights.

The robot vacuum cleaner has to be almost as good as trying to avoid stepping on/tripping over a black cat at night.

What's even more fun is going hunting for the black cat at night when he sneaks out of the house after dark and likes to hide under the car, the porch, inside the shrubbery etc.  It hasn't happened yet, but there's been a few times I've been very close to getting out the IR thermal camera to help find the cat when he's snuck out and hidden after dark.

• Like 1

Here’s a picture for reference:

3E81F8DE-6F22-4A27-9150-E767E4298910.thumb.jpeg.64562de457287c41ba720053648cc1bb.jpeg

Theres not a whole lot at first glance to suggest that’s not a cushion or a pillow. One of the FPT guys thought he was a cushion back in 2019 a couple of days before the CLRV charter.

At night, that’s a severe tripping hazard and an effective camouflage if he’s feeling mischievous and darts outside then hides…and won’t come out…and I need to get to bed because I have work in the morning…and ignores the treats being shaken…

• Like 1

Peeves in every day life, cashiering edition:

-When a customer grabs a product off the shelf without a barcode, and when I point this out to them, instead of walking back to grab another of it or at least a picture of the shelf label, they just sit there and wait for me to call a departmental associate. People have gotten so lazy it's actually untrue. I am not permitted to leave my register, and I don't know of any big box store where those rules are different, and in the time that it takes for a departmental associate to come over (because they are unlikely to be found free at any given moment), inspect the product, head back to their area, locate it, and come back, you could've done it three times over. If you are one of these people, you are wasting your own time by pulling nonsense like this. Do better.

-People who show up, asking for help with a certain product or with loading something, and when no one shows up immediately they come back and bark at you. I know this is shocking, but we actually have not been sitting around waiting for you to arrive and actually have other tasks that we need to attend to! Imagine that!

-People who order industrial quantities of a product from a big box store, and act shocked that we don't have any stock left. It's almost as though we have other people who buy these things, too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

-People who order industrial quantities of a product from a big box store

…should have an account with an industrial supply company.

Among other things, they’re being idiots for paying full retail on industrial quantities of things.  If you’re in a pinch and you need some widgets nowsure, yes, head over to the local bricks and mortar and get what you need to get working again but industrial supply shops are far better for quantity buys than retail pricing at a big box store.

Sheesh, even I as a one man band for side work outside of my day job have accounts at a bunch of supply companies for various things.

Off the top of my head:  Newark, Digikey, Mouser, Acklands-Grainger, Hakko, Transcat, Keysight come to Mind right away.  I think I signed up with Fluke too but discovered that the current probe I wanted to buy for my Scopemeter was discontinued without a direct OEM replacement and never did order from them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

People who don't respond to professional emails.

PEOPLE WHO DON'T RESPOND TO PROFESSIONAL EMAILS!

Excuse the repetition, but this is really getting on my nerves now. Bonus points if you can't find a contact phone number anywhere, either.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

PEOPLE WHO DON'T RESPOND TO PROFESSIONAL EMAILS!

Excuse the repetition, but this is really getting on my nerves now. Bonus points if you can't find a contact phone number anywhere, either.

Agreed. CIBC bank is famous for ignoring emails. Worst offender so far in my books.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

Agreed. CIBC bank is famous for ignoring emails. Worst offender so far in my books.

CIBC is the worst of the big five banks by far from what I've seen over the years.  Their consumer privacy policies are weak and they don't follow them all that rigourously either, not with incidents like faxing customer information to that junkyard and digging their heels in on doing something about it until it hit the media would be one example.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

CIBC is the worst of the big five banks by far from what I've seen over the years.  Their consumer privacy policies are weak and they don't follow them all that rigourously either, not with incidents like faxing customer information to that junkyard and digging their heels in on doing something about it until it hit the media would be one example.

Thankfully I don't bank with them, but am currently dealing with them over mom's estate. I have also had to deal with TD bank and they were fast and efficient. All the lose ends wrapped up by mid June. (Mom passed on Jan. 30). Considering covid and a few weeks of nasty winter weather that kept me indoors, I am pleased with how TD handled everything. CIBC is still fiddle farting around and dicking with me.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

For me, it is Scotiabank considering their archaic policies on how they work. Such as having to deal with a home branch for everything where every other bank lets you do banking at wherever branch is closest. Even if being thousands of kilometres away. I haven't checked recently since I don't do in-person banking even though they have been addressing some of the technological divide.

Sometimes communicating with one advisor and if it involves having it done with another person, they instead do something completely different. Or somehow can't find the notes or correspondence because they went to a different branch. A lot of back and forth, but at least I don't have to deal with them in-person unless really necessary.

11 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Thankfully I don't bank with them, but am currently dealing with them over mom's estate. I have also had to deal with TD bank and they were fast and efficient. All the lose ends wrapped up by mid June. (Mom passed on Jan. 30). Considering covid and a few weeks of nasty winter weather that kept me indoors, I am pleased with how TD handled everything. CIBC is still fiddle farting around and dicking with me.

TD is pretty efficient. Talked to a friend years ago who still works at TD and he says "our policies are pretty lined out and easy to follow." Especially since I asked the same question to several employees who gave the same answer. If they were unsure, they would contact the estate department for further instructions.

Though personally, I try and avoid dealing with an advisor if possible. Last time I dealt with one, they somehow couldn't find the form and had to come back the next day which was prepared. Sometimes it really comes down to how the person handles it with the turnover and how employees change branches every few years. Though it feels like every few months. 

6 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

For me, it is Scotiabank considering their archaic policies on how they work. Such as having to deal with a home branch for everything where every other bank lets you do banking at wherever branch is closest. Even if being thousands of kilometres away. I haven't checked recently since I don't do in-person banking even though they have been addressing some of the technological divide.

Scotiabank wins the most abusive big bank to work for, hands down.  It was like that in the 1990s and the reputation was already well established by then when I was there.  A co-worker's girlfriend also worked for Scotia a couple of years after I did, got out, then 20 years later the company she's with now got bought and it's the same old Bank of Nova Scotia as it was back in the previous century as her workplace goes down the drain since Scotia's axed all of the original managment her company had and parachuted in their own goons.

• 2 weeks later...

-The Google Maps phone app. I like Google Maps, I've spent many an hour exploring on it, but using the phone app should be considered a form of cruel and unusual punishment.

-Holders for bar soap that have big holes in them, allowing the soap to fall through once it's worn down enough if not placed just right.

• Like 3

1) When the device you’re trying to put on the free wifi won’t display the terms and conditions acknowledgement so you can agree to it and use the free wifi; leading to,

2) tethering up to the smart phone and burning its battery and data plan so you can get what you need to do done.

Seriously, this isn’t new, make it work!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

1) When the device you’re trying to put on the free wifi won’t display the terms and conditions acknowledgement so you can agree to it and use the free wifi; leading to,

2) tethering up to the smart phone and burning its battery and data plan so you can get what you need to do done.

Seriously, this isn’t new, make it work!

Reminds me of the free trials. Oh you can get the free trial, but you have to provide a payment method hoping that the customer forgets and charge their credit card.

I always try to remove my credit card after the free trial. Personally, I prefer not to save my credit card info online in case the online service gets compromised. At the same time, the service always try to convince me not to cancel my subscription. Some trying to make it more difficult than necessary. 

• Like 1

When you're trying to sleep and the person you're sharing a bed with goes on their phone!

In a romantic relationship I think this would be a dealbreaker for me. I have insane difficulty falling asleep and when I do I can wake up at the slightest provocation, a phone screen just makes the problem worse. If you must text, get out of bed and go to another room.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2021 at 12:46 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Reminds me of the free trials. Oh you can get the free trial, but you have to provide a payment method hoping that the customer forgets and charge their credit card.

I always try to remove my credit card after the free trial. Personally, I prefer not to save my credit card info online in case the online service gets compromised. At the same time, the service always try to convince me not to cancel my subscription. Some trying to make it more difficult than necessary. 

Yeah I’m annoyed  when I have to force the splash page for the wifi 

When someone is impatient and asks "are you going to order something?" several times. When there is another customer who is already ordered and the employee preparing the order. Of course if there is only one employee, it will take a bit longer to process.

I honestly told him "be patient and wait. There is a customer in-front who already ordered and preparing their items."

Not sure what else to say considering that the person could just simply go to a different location to order food. 

20 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

When you're trying to sleep and the person you're sharing a bed with goes on their phone!

In a romantic relationship I think this would be a dealbreaker for me. I have insane difficulty falling asleep and when I do I can wake up at the slightest provocation, a phone screen just makes the problem worse. If you must text, get out of bed and go to another room.

I don't sleep well either so anything that disturbs a good sleep goes under the "Peeves in everyday life - nighttime edition" automatically.

My poor cat's learned the hard way to never, ever reach out and touch me with his paws while I'm sleeping because of how violently I bolt awake at anything like that.

• Like 2

Not every day but frequently whenever I buy something on eBay.  The eBay Global Shipment Program.

Holy crow, it's painful watching the package tracking.  The seller ships it.  Not to you, to eBay, and you watch your package go to Erlanger, KY, then the do stuff at a snail's pace, then they re-pack it, then the re-ship it, and eventually it finds it's way to you.  The repackaging jobs aren't good either and it would be faster and better odds of things arriving in one piece if the sellers just shipped directly and skipped this long, drawn out process.

Yikes!  I just looked at my own profile.  I've been using eBay since October, 1998.  That's...a long time...

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 9:27 AM, Wayside Observer said:

Not every day but frequently whenever I buy something on eBay.  The eBay Global Shipment Program.

Holy crow, it's painful watching the package tracking.  The seller ships it.  Not to you, to eBay, and you watch your package go to Erlanger, KY, then the do stuff at a snail's pace, then they re-pack it, then the re-ship it, and eventually it finds it's way to you.  The repackaging jobs aren't good either and it would be faster and better odds of things arriving in one piece if the sellers just shipped directly and skipped this long, drawn out process.

Yikes!  I just looked at my own profile.  I've been using eBay since October, 1998.  That's...a long time...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/04/how-amazon-is-shipping-for-third-parties-to-compete-with-fedex-and-ups.html

-The reason why Erlanger Kentucky is now the centre of the universe. Amazon’s kraken grows ever larger.

• 2 weeks later...

This is minor and not everyday but drives me up the wall. 

I visit my former work once or twice a week to do my grocery shopping and say hello to my former colleagues as I was treated like family at this place. It's all great till I leave the store. I'm only a few steps away from the exit where there's a kiosk / table with someone bugging people for a moment of their time for some sort of charity thing. Seriously, I just want to do my shopping and leave the store without feeling like an a$$hole for ignoring them or the fact I rarely carry cash on me anymore. Its not comfortable that someone is bugging me to sell me something / ask me for donations especially with my hands full of groceries (I never get a cart) or I got music blasting in my ears. I don't have a problem with it when the cashiers are asking me for charity as management is making them do it and there pretty friendly about it. What annoys me is that this is the only location I've seen this at. I've been to other same grocery store locations and I don't encounter it at all. I'm assuming management allowed them to be there as they are inside the store. But it doesn't help the customer experience. If it wasn't for my former colleagues, I would stop visiting this place entirely. 

• Like 1

1)  Automotive interior panels

2)  Automotive electrical connectors

3)  12 volt electrical systems

4)  Burned open circuits due to the I-squared-R losses in #2 caused by the heavy current demands resulting from the low voltage in #3 with #1 making it a royal pain to get in and repair the damage.  At least cars aren't 6 volt anymore but 12V isn't much better.

• 3 weeks later...

Customers who expect plastic bags for items they would have no difficulty carrying in their bare hands. I really wish our store started charging for bags to ward some of these vultures off. There are circumstances where it's acceptable to request a bag, but not for a pack of paintbrushes, or a lightbulb. Please stop doing this, it's insanely wasteful.

Related to above, customers who rudely question where their bag is when I haven't offered them one. Sorry for assuming you can carry a box of lightweight items.

People who pay for items worth $5 or more in coins worth less than $1.

Self-check outs that don't accept cash.

Self-check outs that don't accept cash not having signs indicating such, thus requiring a store employee to step in when someone inevitably shows up wanting to pay in cash.

People at self check out who scan shipping labels / any other auxiliary sticker used for store inventory management, and when this fails to ring up their product, scan the same thing again, requiring you to step in and override the transaction.

Not being able to sit down as a cashier. This is okay when you've got a 4 hour shift; when it's 8 hours this just feels like a slap in the face.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The infestation of Christmas music into every day life.  Yech.

The streaming radio station I have on came out of a commercial break and played the first couple of bars of the guitar intro of China Girl by David Bowie than abruptly switched into some awful "I wish every day was Christmas" song that was already in progress.  Every day?  I'm sorry to go total Grinch here but once a year is too often sometimes.

• Like 2