Peeves in everyday life...

Tranzit

On 4/19/2018 at 8:29 PM, Downsview 108 said:

I wouldn't use bills. I lost 10 bucks in a vending machine once. 

If anyone remembers this post...

On 3/26/2018 at 11:24 AM, PCC Guy said:

I was hungry this morning at school, so I went to a vending machine and tried to get a bag of chips. I only had a $20 bill, so I (like an absolute fucking moron) popped the thing into the machine and made my selection.

Well, it vended the chips, but I didn't get the other $18 back... I went to security and asked them if they knew who to talk to about an issue with the machine, and they pointed me to a phone number on a sticker on the machine, and the people collected my information and told me that they would send me a refund within a week.

Only, the second person I talked to, after explaining the predicament fully to the first person on the line, didn't ask how much money I lost, so I'll probably only get a refund for the $2 I spent on the chips. I saw a worker loading another machine nearby, so I explained the problem to them and asked them if they knew who I should talk to, and they pointed me to that same phone number.

So that's $18 I'll never see again... +1000 self hatred/stupidity points 

EDIT: Apparently, the person I spoke to passed the information of how much money exactly I lost along, so at least there's that

I did end up getting that $18 back, BUT I never learn, as I almost lost $10 in another machine today! I was out and about and really parched, but I only had like 10 cents in change so I popped my $10 bill in. All of the options were sold out, and I frantically hit the coin return button to no avail. I actually fell to my knees and buried my face in my hands for a bit before continuing to aggressively mash the button, and it finally became "unstuck" and returned my money.

What a moron I am :lol:

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

I did end up getting that $18 back, BUT I never learn, as I almost lost $10 in another machine today! I was out and about and really parched, but I only had like 10 cents in change so I popped my $10 bill in. All of the options were sold out, and I frantically hit the coin return button to no avail. I actually fell to my knees and buried my face in my hands for a bit before continuing to aggressively mash the button, and it finally became "unstuck" and returned my money.

Lol.

I know centennial college has vending machines that use debit or some app for your phone. But even those are dodgy sometimes and frequently fail. Other times I get stuff cheaper than the price on the machine. It's best to just carry a couple bottles of water. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/04/2018 at 10:03 PM, PCC Guy said:

You guys must have shitty quality machines at Humber College if all of them have that same problem. For me, the worst part was that when I was in New York, literally no one would accept my debit card. First we pulled over at Tim's just after midnight once we crossed the border, I (along with the rest of us on the bus) was hungry and I ordered about 20$ worth to eat (a sandwich, hot drink, and timbits) only to find that their stupid machine just wouldn't accept my card no matter what. Neither did the stupid ATM when I tried to get cash. Having to leave with nothing, still hungry, wasn't my worst disappointment. I was worried it would ruin my whole trip if I wouldn't be able to go anywhere (including the subway) or buy anything (food, subway fare, etc), since my debit card was the only money I brought (I had intentionally left my credit card at home as a precaution against theft/fraud). At least, once we arrived at the hotel in the morning, I was able to withdraw 60$ of emergency cash, and it saved me a lot of hassle, as I was able to get around the city on the subway and get food (I tried using debit just about everywhere I could, only to confirm once again that it wouldn't work anywhere; except the ATM at the hotel, and ATM's within the city, and even that often took 2 - 3 tries to work). Once I got back to Toronto, I went to my bank department to ask if there was a problem with my card itself, because it was supposed to be accepted anywhere where Mastercard is accepted, and it worked perfectly fine in Europe, so I never expected there to be any issue in America. I received a new card, with all my money transferred over to it, but have yet to travel anywhere since then. Hopefully it won't be an issue next time.

Idk about Humber, but at Ryerson you can put money on your student card and use it to make payment within school - including some vending machines (some also accept debit/credit). Personally I found it very convenient (although this year was probably the first time I actually started putting money on my student card more often).

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎23 at 10:39 PM, Downsview 108 said:

Lol.

I know centennial college has vending machines that use debit or some app for your phone. But even those are dodgy sometimes and frequently fail. Other times I get stuff cheaper than the price on the machine. It's best to just carry a couple bottles of water. :rolleyes:

I have never tried using NFC mobile payments with a vending machine before, but I have tried it with a standalone EFT terminal a few months ago - it took some time to figure where to tap my phone but it eventually worked. More recently, I tried paying on a terminal integrated with a self-checkout POS and it immediately reacted upon tapping. It might just be due to an unreliable connection between the vending machine and the server ... unless you aren't tapping your phone correctly.

BTW, haven't many GTA schools ridded plastic bottled spring water in favour of refillable plastic containers and fountains?

5 hours ago, Transit geek said:

I have never tried using NFC mobile payments with a vending machine before, but I have tried it with a standalone EFT terminal a few months ago - it took some time to figure where to tap my phone but it eventually worked. More recently, I tried paying on a terminal integrated with a self-checkout POS and it immediately reacted upon tapping. It might just be due to an unreliable connection between the vending machine and the server ... unless you aren't tapping your phone correctly.

BTW, haven't many GTA schools ridded plastic bottled spring water in favour of refillable plastic containers and fountains?

I think the machines I mentioned used QR codes. You had to fill the app with money. I can't remember the name of the app. Far too much dependence on technology today that can really mess your money up.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2018 at 10:03 PM, PCC Guy said:

If it makes you feel any better, I lost a dollar the same way yesterday. I only had $1.05 cash that I wanted to get rid of, but unfortunately everything in the vending machine is priced at 1.75 and up. I figured I'd try putting in the 1.05 and see if I can cover the rest with my OneCard, what do you know, the stupid reader was "disabled". The machine would simply spit the 0.05 right out, but wouldn't give me back the 1.00 no matter how many times I tried to push the coin return button (it appeared to be jammed and wouldn't work properly). So much for the label posted on the machine saying you're "guaranteed" to get whatever you like from it, or press coin return to get all your coins back. I'm not too fussed though since it was only a dollar. At least the next person would get something out of it at less than half price?

• 3 months later...

I find this forum very interesting. I am an industrial design student at NC State University. I am currently doing research for a project that is focused on public transit. I would love to hear more about your experiences with public transit. Would you mind taking a survey to help me better understand your frustrations? Thanks in advance.

Survey Link: https://goo.gl/forms/cKekrENYB3N0nAl23

1 hour ago, jco14 said:

I find this forum very interesting. I am an industrial design student at NC State University. I am currently doing research for a project that is focused on public transit. I would love to hear more about your experiences with public transit. Would you mind taking a survey to help me better understand your frustrations? Thanks in advance.

Survey Link: https://goo.gl/forms/cKekrENYB3N0nAl23

I think there is a public transit pet peeves thread in the Transit Lounge.

• 3 months later...

Windows 7's wallpaper management system is really starting to irritate me. You can't set different wallpapers on different monitors if you have a dual monitor set up, and the process to arrange a slideshow that automatically cycles through your photo collection is so useless it hurts.

I have taken over 10,000 photos and I would like to cycle through my ENTIRE photo collection, but it only allows me to cycle through a particular folder's contents. And because I'm not a troglodyte who keeps every photo they've ever taken in one folder, I'm limited to whatever exists in one particular folder, and I can't combine a bunch of folders together during wallpaper management either.

Maybe having no wallpaper would be easier <_<

• 2 weeks later...

People who constantly post "Live" on social media. I don't see the point of it. This wasn't a problem until a bunch of my coworkers added me and then I often or repeatedly got notifications that they were live. I turned the notifications off yet see it on my newsfeed. I don't see what's so important about them vlogging that their kids are at the dentist or they are getting wasted having drunken conversations. Most of this stuff, I keep to myself or post one picture if it's newsworthy. The only reason why I still have social media is so pretty much related to work-related where I take shifts if I got nothing to do. Also, some memes. But why does everything need to be documented to the entire world? Aside from some family and some friends actually watching the damn thing, what's the point of posting it live? If you want to share it to a couple people, Skype them or record it and send it to them privately. The people on your friends' list don't drop what they are doing to watch these things, especially if you are posting multiple live sessions in a short amount of time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When intellectual property is given "everyday" names, to the point that the name starts to lose its original meaning (i.e. most people today would probably associate Apple or Blackberry with electronics rather than fruit). On one hand it sounds catchy (as in the case of Apple & Blackberry), on the other hand it's quite annoying when you search google images for "twilight" or "midnight sun" and instead of seeing photos of the natural phenomena all you see is a bunch of cover photos of the books/movies of the same name.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This one happens more frequent than my other pet-peeves. People who don't know what the concept is of a library. Not the public library, but the campus library. It's not there for people to gossip out loud, have conversations or a quiet place for you to talk on the phone. It's a place where you get s#it done silently on your own. If not on your own, book a group room and close the door or go to other parts of campus/outside if you want to be rowdy. I always go to the staircase or outside when I have to make a phone call to respect others around me but people seemed to be so self-centered that the world revolves around them and has to tolerate with their bullshit. Sometimes I tell them to turn it down or move to other parts of the library like the quiet reading rooms, but again, people forget where they are. I'm (and everyone else) paying $3000+ for tuition a semester and the school spent $100M+ on a new library. Most (if not all) want to is to succeed, get good marks and have a quiet place to study. But people forget where they are and make it their new hang-out. 

For those wondering why I don't study at home, I find it incredibly difficult to study at home. It's easily distracting with family, the TV and my hobbies around me. So I study on campus with plenty of resources around me if I required them. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

One huge pet peeve of mine is when people walk slowly because they don't have to catch a bus. For example, I walk to the stop near my school to catch the 3:04 bus. Because they walk so slowly in front of me, I end up not even making it to the crosswalk in time. The bus will then show up and leave by the time I cross. I would make it perfectly on time if they speed up.

I either have to walk down 15 minutes, or I could just take a bus that comes at 3:30.

It usually takes me 20-30 more minutes to get home because of it.

This has been happening to me a lot lately.

I also notice that a lot of kids in my school tend to run across the crosswalk to catch the bus even if it means jaywalking. They usually get honked at too.

2 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

One huge pet peeve of mine is when people walk slowly because they don't have to catch a bus. For example, I walk to the stop near my school to catch the 3:04 bus. Because they walk so slowly in front of me, I end up not even making it to the crosswalk in time. The bus will then show up and leave by the time I cross. I would make it perfectly on time if they speed up.

Agreed, it happens to me a lot, especially when I'm trying to catch a train and can't get downstairs because too many people are in front of me, and barely moving. The annoying thing is when there's no way around them, so you're forced to slow down to a crawl (I generally walk relatively fast). Hell, sometimes you can't even get around one person in front of you on the sidewalk.