Durham Region Transit

Looking at the 5-year plan, the 910 would change to Whitby GO-Consumers-Durham College-Champlain-OC... the idea being to serve all the commercial/employment along Consumers Dr and Champlain, as well as Durham College. Trent would be connected to UOIT via the Thornton route.

I suppose then the 910 could be from Oshawa Centre to Whitby Go via Durham College Whitby. Maybe "Campus Connect/Whitby GO" designation could still be used given that Durham College Whitby Campus will still be served.

If the 409 was going to UOIT and also have a 409A (clockwise/counter-clockwise routings along Thornton & Stevenson), would the common decision be made to take the 409 and A along Rossland and Simcoe to UOIT at a combined 15 minute frequencies? Weekdays anyway?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, these photos are courtesy of Richard Oldfield

There we go.  

All, the above post sums it up nicely. Please post civilly here. We have a community of people all interested in a common topic, and we don't need any more negative or useless posts. Consider yourselv

Posted Images

In case anyone had missed it - the former brown building that once used to be the Ajax Harwood Plaza Bus Terminal in Ajax (located on Harwood Avenue south of the Highway 401) - has been removed.

The only bus that goes into the Harwood Plaza - is the 291/292 Community Bus. The 916 still serves near that area (it stops along Harwood Avenue). I also think that the 218 serves as well.

That former brown building had been idle ever since Greyhound (quietly) no longer serves the area. The building sat empty back in September 2013 and until recently (as early as this summer) - the building itself is now "history".

DRT 8161's INIT system is live as of 12:00am last night, caught it on the last outbound 409 Thornton, it's quite laggy, only announces few stops, and misses quite a few on the display.

Considering that it is the first conventional bus that has these announcements in place, I wouldn't have expected too much as far as high expectations to it to be 100% accurate with each stop being called correctly. There'd be bound to be some bugs in it.

Have you noticed other Raleigh units that have at least the displays set up?

Considering that it is the first conventional bus that has these announcements in place, I wouldn't have expected too much as far as high expectations to it to be 100% accurate with each stop being called correctly. There'd be bound to be some bugs in it.

Have you noticed other Raleigh units that have at least the displays set up?

No other Raleigh units are equipped with INIT that I know of.

I again, got 8161 on the 403/412 yesterday, rode it around, noticed that the "BUS SYSTEMS TESTING IN PROGRESS" message has disappeared. No stops were announced for the 403 portion of the service. When leaving the Oshawa Centre Terminal, it displayed the following stops:

• ELMGROVE WESTBOUND AT OSHAWA CENTRE
  • ELMGROVE EASTBOUND AT WESTMOUNT
  • ELMGROVE EASTBOUND AT PARK

A nominal "403/403B Park" message was displayed during this period when the doors were open. For the rest of the trip, no stops were called or displayed.

For the 412 however, all stops were displayed on the screen, but only a few stops were called:

• ADELAIDE EASTBOUND AT CENTRAL PARK
  • FLEETWOOD NORTHBOUND AT CORSICA
  • TOWNLINE SOUTHBOUND AT SHANKEL
  • OLIVE WESTBOUND AT ATHABASCA
  • TOWNLINE NORTHBOUND AT NASH

From my knowledge no other stops were called.

I again, got 8161 on the 403/412 yesterday, rode it around, noticed that the "BUS SYSTEMS TESTING IN PROGRESS" message has disappeared. No stops were announced for the 403 portion of the service. When leaving the Oshawa Centre Terminal, it displayed the following stops:

A nominal "403/403B Park" message was displayed during this period when the doors were open. For the rest of the trip, no stops were called or displayed.

For the 412 however, all stops were displayed on the screen, but only a few stops were called:

ADELAIDE WESTBOUND AT WILSON was called when we were on it

There were also alot of glitches where it would begin to audibly say "Next Stop" but would freeze in the middle of the word

I thought 8468 had the automated annoucements installed, caught it a few times on Simcoe Street

I thought 8468 had the automated annoucements installed, caught it a few times on Simcoe Street

8468(along with 8976) had Clever Devices displays installed, it was only demoed. 8468 currently does not have the new INIT displays installed, like their Pulse counterparts.

Chris, I remember even 3 or so years ago when we were first talking about that. I recall seeing 8468 approaching Oshawa Centre terminal with a distinct voice coming from the front door saying, "Approaching Oshawa Centre." Then, as the font doors opened, I heard, "403 Park". All I can remember was that I didn't need that route at the time, but it sounded unique to me at the time.

To those closer to DRT's announcements. What do you suppose the importance of directional information included within the announcements themselves?

I recall seeing 8468 approaching Oshawa Centre terminal with a distinct voice coming from the front door saying, "Approaching Oshawa Centre." Then, as the font doors opened, I heard, "403 Park". All I can remember was that I didn't need that route at the time, but it sounded unique to me at the time.

PSTA, a system in suburban Tampa Bay has the same displays(Clever) as 468 and 976. They made audible announcements at major transfer points, such as the route number, name, direction of travel, end point and stops en-route. I got 8468 a few times, but never did I witness such announcements.

8011 was out on 923 earlier this week.

6 of them are in the active lanes at Westney. 8005 had a fire and is still at Westney out of service. The remaining 4 are in storage at Raleigh.

Guest DRT 8173

8518 (on 405 Central Park) has INIT display installed but not active..

8520 (on 916 Rossland) has INIT display installed and was being tested on that route, audio and visual running with a bit of glitches here and there

I have a question: Some time ago I remember that DRT had a transfer policy that you couldn't use a transfer to make a round trip (use the same bus line). I usually have a monthly pass, but remember one driver not letting someone on because their paper transfer was issued from that same bus route.

Anyway, my question is, if I stop buying a monthly pass and rely on Presto, could I take a pulse bus from Oshawa to Whitby, get off and run an errand, and then board another pulse in the reverse direction without paying a second fare?

Because that seems to be how the FAQ on their website reads and $2.85 for a presto ride w/free return trip is so cheap I don't think my needs justify buying a monthly pass anymore.

"DRT Transfer Policy: Transfers are issued upon request when a fare is paid. Valid for two hours on any route in any direction. When the transfer expires, customer is required to pay another fare."

In other words, yes you can, as long as it's within the 2 hour window.

Guest DRT 8173

8521 (on the 916 West) has INIT live. Scrolling " 916/916B WB 'Ends at Walmart' " a couple of times when the bus is stopped.

8401 (on the 405 Central Park Northbound) has INIT display installed. Only scrolling the message "Durham Region Transit".