Durham Region Transit

DRT

No notices posted as of yet, and usually fare increases around Canada Day and they would of given at least 30 days notice, wouldn't they?

In most cases, fare increases would come with service changes, although sometimes not.

In this instance, since there hasn't been (as far as I haven't seen anyway) any notices of either fare increases or pending service changes, then neither would be happening.

There will be no fare increase this year. There was a deliberate attempt to avoid one due to the economic situation, which is partially responsible for their being no service increases.

Also, DRT seems have thought that the Presto implementation would require all fare categories to have a single cash fare rate in 2011, and this was given as another reason to not increase fares this year. I'm fairly skeptical of this claim, so we'll see what turns up next year.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in Oshawa last week, even though that it may have been one trip on a couple of routes, I have observed:

That the 409 Thornton during the mid-day carried about 4-5 people.

That the 410, coming off of the 403, was a full bus as well as the other bus that was the 410, was a full bus as it became the 403.

403 was generally a route that carried about 10 people, maybe a bit less.

To those in Oshawa. What routes have really had significant ridership increases that deserve improved frequencies?

When I was in Oshawa last week, even though that it may have been one trip on a couple of routes, I have observed:

That the 409 Thornton during the mid-day carried about 4-5 people.

That the 410, coming off of the 403, was a full bus as well as the other bus that was the 410, was a full bus as it became the 403.

403 was generally a route that carried about 10 people, maybe a bit less.

To those in Oshawa. What routes have really had significant ridership increases that deserve improved frequencies?

I'd increase the Weekday frequency of 403/410 to 15 minutes and the Sunday service to every 30 Minutes

407 Ritson should also be increase to 15 minutes during the week.

I'd also perhaps run the 402 King every 15 minutes between Townline Road and the Oshawa Centre

I'd increase the Weekday frequency of 403/410 to 15 minutes and the Sunday service to every 30 Minutes

407 Ritson should also be increase to 15 minutes during the week.

I'd also perhaps run the 402 King every 15 minutes between Townline Road and the Oshawa Centre

If I was to implement all of those changes that you've suggested...

I'd say that the 403/410 would be a natural fit for 15-minute headways, with equal amount of buses and almost equal amount of time on both ends of their routes to allow for equal opprotunity to recover. Although, the big risk with route interlines is that if one bus is late on one route, the next routes' bus will be late as a result. Maybe with 15-minute headways it'd allow for short-turning if neccessary so that the other route on teh interline wouldn't be affected by the poor schedule adherance.

The 407 getting 15-minute service, eh? In that case, it shouldn't interline with the 406. Granted, I haven't rode those two routes, but I would take your word on the 407.

Is the 402 currently a route that has a hour to complete a round-trip? If so, it'd be awkward to keep it interlined on Sundays with the 409, seeing as the 409 is only a 30-minute round-trip. Or, does the 402 become shorter on Sundays to better connect with the 409 for hourly frequencies, only having 1 bus out there for both, interlined routes?

And I would agree that yes, 30-minute service on Sundays would be needed on all routes.

I think you pointed out the 408 is starting to get increased ridership, too a few posts back. If it could require increased frequencies to every 20 minutes as an example, it wouldn't interline with the 411 or the 412.

Lastly, perhaps the 405, considering its proximatity to the 410 would benefit from 30-minute service during the day as well as Saturdays and/or Sundays. 405 perhaps could ease the loads on the 410 in that case.

If I was to implement all of those changes that you've suggested...

I'd say that the 403/410 would be a natural fit for 15-minute headways, with equal amount of buses and almost equal amount of time on both ends of their routes to allow for equal opprotunity to recover. Although, the big risk with route interlines is that if one bus is late on one route, the next routes' bus will be late as a result. Maybe with 15-minute headways it'd allow for short-turning if neccessary so that the other route on teh interline wouldn't be affected by the poor schedule adherance.

The 407 getting 15-minute service, eh? In that case, it shouldn't interline with the 406. Granted, I haven't rode those two routes, but I would take your word on the 407.

Is the 402 currently a route that has a hour to complete a round-trip? If so, it'd be awkward to keep it interlined on Sundays with the 409, seeing as the 409 is only a 30-minute round-trip. Or, does the 402 become shorter on Sundays to better connect with the 409 for hourly frequencies, only having 1 bus out there for both, interlined routes?

And I would agree that yes, 30-minute service on Sundays would be needed on all routes.

I think you pointed out the 408 is starting to get increased ridership, too a few posts back. If it could require increased frequencies to every 20 minutes as an example, it wouldn't interline with the 411 or the 412.

Lastly, perhaps the 405, considering its proximatity to the 410 would benefit from 30-minute service during the day as well as Saturdays and/or Sundays. 405 perhaps could ease the loads on the 410 in that case.

Only ever other 407 has to interline with the 406 to keep the 30 minute headway there.

The 408 is only busy on two trips which are the 2:30 and 3:00 trips from the Oshawa Centre. every other trip is a max of like 5 people. Later evening trips are dead. They've altered the routing of the 408 several times over the past year, nothing seems to be getting people on that bus other then the three Schools along that route and summer is here so expect the 408 to be a lonely ride until September

With the 402, perhaps it would benefit from a 402B service which would end at Townline Road. It could run from about 6AM to 7PM during the week, 9AM to 5PM on Saturdays and 11AM to 5PM on Sundays and Holidays and have the 402B operate seperatley from 402/409. However the 402 and 409 interline with 413 on Sundays. That's something they should consider scrapping because its easier and cheaper for people to walk over to Stevenson Road and catch a GO Bus that will connect with the GO Train.

With the 402, perhaps it would benefit from a 402B service which would end at Townline Road. It could run from about 6AM to 7PM during the week, 9AM to 5PM on Saturdays and 11AM to 5PM on Sundays and Holidays and have the 402B operate seperatley from 402/409. However the 402 and 409 interline with 413 on Sundays. That's something they should consider scrapping because its easier and cheaper for people to walk over to Stevenson Road and catch a GO Bus that will connect with the GO Train.

So the 402/409 have 3 buses operating on the complete interline? 402B, if it was in operation would be a seperate route, per say?

Plus, how does the current 402/409/413 interline work on Sundays?

So the 402/409 have 3 buses operating on the complete interline? 402B, if it was in operation would be a seperate route, per say?

Plus, how does the current 402/409/413 interline work on Sundays?

If 402B was in operation, it could run like the 401 Simcoe currently operates. Four buses making tthe full trip to Lakeview Park and back to Durham College/UOIT, Two additional buses run from the College to Downtown which increased the service to the north portion of the route to every 7.5 Minutes.

The current interline of 402/409/413 is fairly simple:

2 buses operate on the full interline

409 Thornton departs the OC on the hour. When the 409 completes the trip half an hour later, it changes to the 413 at the Oshawa Centre and heads down to the train, arriving at the Oshawa GO on the :35's. When the 413 returns to the OC 10 minutes later, it waits until the top of the hour and departs as the 402 King. It takes 60 minutes to complete the route, once it returns to the OC, the interline starts all over again.

The current interline of 402/409/413 is fairly simple:

2 buses operate on the full interline

409 Thornton departs the OC on the hour. When the 409 completes the trip half an hour later, it changes to the 413 at the Oshawa Centre and heads down to the train, arriving at the Oshawa GO on the :35's. When the 413 returns to the OC 10 minutes later, it waits until the top of the hour and departs as the 402 King. It takes 60 minutes to complete the route, once it returns to the OC, the interline starts all over again.

So, as the 413 returns and waits until the top of the clock, the other 402 King, coming to OC westbound, would be a 409 again, meaning that at the top of the hour, there'd be one bus that say, "409 Thornton" and the second that says, "402 King." Ah, yes, I finally got it. ;)

Thank you, 409 Thornton!!

If 402B was in operation, it could run like the 401 Simcoe currently operates. Four buses making tthe full trip to Lakeview Park and back to Durham College/UOIT, Two additional buses run from the College to Downtown which increased the service to the north portion of the route to every 7.5 Minutes.

Sorry just to correct this, 3 buses do the full loop while the extra 3 buses stay between Downtown and Durham College.

Sorry just to correct this, 3 buses do the full loop while the extra 3 buses stay between Downtown and Durham College.

Yes, that'd make sense on the basis of the frequencies and the distance that it'd travel.

If 402B was in operation, it could run like the 401 Simcoe currently operates.

If the 401 requires 6 buses even with the short-turn between UOIT/Downtown, would it possibly be the same on the similar distance between OC and Townline for a 402B?

Yes, that'd make sense on the basis of the frequencies and the distance that it'd travel.

If the 401 requires 6 buses even with the short-turn between UOIT/Downtown, would it possibly be the same on the similar distance between OC and Townline for a 402B?

Its about 15 Minutes to get from the Oshawa Centre to Townline which is about half way to the end. So perhaps 2 extra buses would be reqiured to operate this service sufficiently. Does that sound right?

Its about 15 Minutes to get from the Oshawa Centre to Townline which is about half way to the end. So perhaps 2 extra buses would be reqiured to operate this service sufficiently. Does that sound right?

It would sound right if that route, on its own, seperated form the 402, would operate every 15 minutes. Or, if it'd be 30 minute frequency, only 1 bus would be needed.

Should it be called 402A, just something different from all of those other B designations across the region?? :P

It would sound right if that route, on its own, seperated form the 402, would operate every 15 minutes. Or, if it'd be 30 minute frequency, only 1 bus would be needed.

Should it be called 402A, just something different from all of those other B designations across the region?? :P

I was just sticking with the theme, lol. I'm not exactly sure how many buses would be needed, just as long as that portion of King street and Bond Street recieves 15 minute service.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the Pickering Town Centre on Google Maps where do the buses go? The store website seems to indicate on the east side of the building. Or would someone be better to cross the tracks to the GO station?

EDIT

Looking at Streetview I guess it is actually on Glenanna, not in the mall itself. Is this correct?

Looking at the Pickering Town Centre on Google Maps where do the buses go? The store website seems to indicate on the east side of the building. Or would someone be better to cross the tracks to the GO station?

EDIT

Looking at Streetview I guess it is actually on Glenanna, not in the mall itself. Is this correct?

Ya thats right; across from city hall.

So I guess there won't be any issues photographing there then since it is a public street. But how frequent is the service?

Whenever I'm there taking pix I never had issues. The off peak service leaves Pickering Town Centre on the :25 each hour but it's every 30 minutes on weekday midday. The buses that leaves Pickering Town Centre on the :25 does it's route then hits the GO Stn for the :55 then continues the route again to make it back at Pickering Town Centre for the :25. That way 30 minute service is maintained on the routes but hourly service out of either the GO Station or the Town Centre. There are selected routes that double back to and from The Town centre but all you need to do is get pics of the :25 departures and you got what's there. If you're there in rush hours I'd suggest going to the GO Station. I have 2 favourite spot to take pics there which are 1. For AM Rush standing at the east side of the bus loop exit at Bayly St and get pics as they're coming out facing South and 2. For PM Rush Stand Just west of the Bus loop exit on Bayly St facing East and get pics of them going west on Bayly St. These are good sun angle shots as the sun would be behind you.

Whenever I'm there taking pix I never had issues. The off peak service leaves Pickering Town Centre on the :25 each hour but it's every 30 minutes on weekday midday. The buses that leaves Pickering Town Centre on the :25 does it's route then hits the GO Stn for the :55 then continues the route again to make it back at Pickering Town Centre for the :25. That way 30 minute service is maintained on the routes but hourly service out of either the GO Station or the Town Centre. There are selected routes that double back to and from The Town centre but all you need to do is get pics of the :25 departures and you got what's there. If you're there in rush hours I'd suggest going to the GO Station. I have 2 favourite spot to take pics there which are 1. For AM Rush standing at the east side of the bus loop exit at Bayly St and get pics as they're coming out facing South and 2. For PM Rush Stand Just west of the Bus loop exit on Bayly St facing East and get pics of them going west on Bayly St. These are good sun angle shots as the sun would be behind you.

Not sure when I will be there, depends what time I leave Kingston. I just want to get some shots of ex APTA units (DRT 8000's) before I head out west. I've got to plan ahead as I need to be in Sudbury that night and also want to stop in YRT land, Barrie, and Orillia before getting to Sudbury. Going to be a long day!!!! This could be the second or third stop of the day so don't have too much time to hang around if you know what I mean.

• 4 weeks later...

Today a 2008 Gillig BRT bus made an appearance at DRT's Raleigh facility. The bus is powered by a Cummins ISL engine to a Voith DIWAhybrid drive system. The purpose of the visit was to demo Voith's DIWAhybrid. The bus will tour other agencies in Ontario, with possible visits to YRT and Guelph, and then apparently it will be heading to Quebec. Special thanks go to Peter Chatoff who organized the demo's visit and to Richard Oldfield for supplying the info and picture.

img_9593.jpg

Special thanks go to Peter Chatoff who organized the demo's visit and to Richard Oldfield for supplying the info and picture.

Richard actually got a chance to drive the Gillig BRT. He said it was in Brampton yesterday as well. It is not too often you see a Gillig in Canada (unless you were out at the Vancouver Olympics of course).

Today a 2008 Gillig BRT bus made an appearance at DRT's Raleigh facility. The bus is powered by a Cummins ISL engine to a Voith DIWAhybrid drive system. The purpose of the visit was to demo Voith's DIWAhybrid. The bus will tour other agencies in Ontario, with possible visits to YRT and Guelph, and then apparently it will be heading to Quebec. Special thanks go to Peter Chatoff who organized the demo's visit and to Richard Oldfield for supplying the info and picture.

When will the Unit be making the trip to Guelph?