Durham Region Transit

DRT

56 minutes ago, The Squishy Bus said:

Is the damage bad? If so, then they might as-well get another Ex-MiWay D40LF. (Example: 0317 as a placeholder).

Nowhere bad enough to retire it, maybe miss a week in the body shop 

I wonder why we get 15 minute service on Lakeshore West on weekends, and not weekday evenings as well.

The rationale I would give is that morning and midday you can mostly adjust your own schedule to match the half-hourly service.

However, evenings I find myself at the mercy of whenever the event I am at downtown lets out, and how long it takes to get to Union station. So often enough, I have a 20+ minute wait because I would be pretty certain to miss the previous train by a matter of minutes, even if I ran. 15 minute service would mean I no longer have to glance at my watch to see whether I might as well relax, or I will have to scramble over the top of bodies that are slow to move out after the event, to make the train.

Whoops, my apologies, I thought this was the GO Transit forum. 😳

• Confused 2

On 4/14/2024 at 7:51 PM, gtatransitfanner said:

Do you know if the Cityview units will have INIT as well. I know the ones that are tracking came from Mississauga Buses Group of Companies.

Not sure. 0109 and 0113 are trackable, but they don’t have any announcements. So hard to say what the plan is for 0101-0106.

What was behind the idea of only looking at 40 foots for the electric bus order rather than 60 foot, given that on the current market for articulated electric buses arse being offered by NFI for their 60 foot Xcelsior Charge NG, OR G2, whatever their suffix is used. 
Nova I think has a hybrid artic available, but is there a plan ot have an electric version of their artic?
Given their ridership situation, 40 foots can only do so much.

10 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

What was behind the idea of only looking at 40 foots for the electric bus order rather than 60 foot, given that on the current market for articulated electric buses arse being offered by NFI for their 60 foot Xcelsior Charge NG, OR G2, whatever their suffix is used. 
Nova I think has a hybrid artic available, but is there a plan ot have an electric version of their artic?

No. Not at the moment. However, VOLVO does have 7900 Articulated Electric buses. That could work for their system, but I doubt if Oakville wants them.

But in Burlington, the student rush trips are so packed, right to the front door. No space for people to get in / out, I wonder if Oakville is the same. Majority of the systems, I tend to see, when interested in Electric Buses, go with 40ft Buses due to the integrity of the system, and maybe its' design system and the roads and travel times. 

It all comes down to the strategic planning, and overall budget of the systems.

9 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Currently no electric articulated buses meet the range needs of agencies. They do alright in the US but warmer climates don't hinder the battery range. 

There is a XE60 that's creeping it's way into acceptable ranges (330km a day) which made it's rounds around ontario and quebec. I suspect by 2025 you will see confirmed orders start pouring in and potentially Nova releasing their version by 2024 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MorningsideExpress said:

Those buses are 13 years old now, and I'm sure they are fairly high-mileage at this point.

All those Xcelsior that DRT is currently operating are pretty old at this point. Before it was the PULSE branded ones that accumulated alot of mileage but with the decision to put local buses on PULSE and PULSE buses on local, I think it's safe to say all of them do...

In that case correct me if I am wrong .

They should try to use the leased LFs and LFRs on some local routes such as 4xx or 3xx instead of using them on pulse routes 915 and 916 . On pulse routes they can use the new hybrids or the 7xxx LFS . Again it's just based on my knowledge you can correct me if I'm wrong. Would love to hear your opinion.

15 minutes ago, kc59 said:

In that case correct me if I am wrong .

They should try to use the leased LFs and LFRs on some local routes such as 4xx or 3xx instead of using them on pulse routes 915 and 916 . On pulse routes they can use the new hybrids or the 7xxx LFS . Again it's just based on my knowledge you can correct me if I'm wrong. Would love to hear your opinion.

They do get used on the 3xx series of routes that operate in Whitby. I personally have both ridden and photographed leased units on routes 302 and 392, and known that they have appeared on the 301 and 319 too.

All of the leased units are currently based out of Westney garage, and they regularly appear on all of the routes operated out of that garage. However, the 4xx routes that operate in Oshawa are all operated by Raleigh garage (which, being located in Oshawa, is much better positioned to operate those routes than requiring a longer deadhead from Westney garage in Ajax). Until(/if) Raleigh gets any leased units assigned to it, none should ever appear on the 4xx routes (that also goes for the 507, 901, and 902, which are exclusively operated by Raleigh buses).

On 4/21/2024 at 10:38 PM, Articulated said:

They do get used on the 3xx series of routes that operate in Whitby. I personally have both ridden and photographed leased units on routes 302 and 392, and known that they have appeared on the 301 and 319 too.

All of the leased units are currently based out of Westney garage, and they regularly appear on all of the routes operated out of that garage. However, the 4xx routes that operate in Oshawa are all operated by Raleigh garage (which, being located in Oshawa, is much better positioned to operate those routes than requiring a longer deadhead from Westney garage in Ajax). Until(/if) Raleigh gets any leased units assigned to it, none should ever appear on the 4xx routes (that also goes for the 507, 901, and 902, which are exclusively operated by Raleigh buses).

There's a few Westney blocks that have scheduled 4xx's route runs.