Jump to content

Durham Region Transit


DRT
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Articulated said:

I think the only thing more concerning to me than the fact that one of these crashed (so quickly into the pilot, mind you) is that the on-board operator was unable to stop it before it left the roadway and collided with the tree. There's gonna need to be a lot of questions surrounding how even the "fail-safe" couldn't prevent the accident from occurring.

I haven't had the chance to see one of these in person yet so I was wondering if there were any big red emergency stop buttons that the attendant (or passengers, eg. like the emergency brake cords on subway, Go trains) could press the moment things went awry.  Then again, looking at the pictures of the accident, even if there were, the attendant might not have been able to get to one if they got knocked down by the vehicle mounting the curb by the time they realized things were going south if it happened quickly.

I hope the vehicle's attendant makes a full and fast recovery.  It's going to be interesting to see what there is to be learned from this accident because autonomous vehicles are still very much in their infancy and might not be as ready for prime time as had been hoped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I haven't had the chance to see one of these in person yet so I was wondering if there were any big red emergency stop buttons that the attendant (or passengers, eg. like the emergency brake cords on subway, Go trains) could press the moment things went awry.  Then again, looking at the pictures of the accident, even if there were, the attendant might not have been able to get to one if they got knocked down by the vehicle mounting the curb by the time they realized things were going south if it happened quickly.

I hope the vehicle's attendant makes a full and fast recovery.  It's going to be interesting to see what there is to be learned from this accident because autonomous vehicles are still very much in their infancy and might not be as ready for prime time as had been hoped.

image.thumb.png.111f64f82d19f2aab0d1752d1f8d3e65.png

here’s a photo from “Articulated” that he posted on Facebook awhile back, it shows the control system is a joystick and what could be a red emergency stop button. I haven’t seen it in person to know if that’s indeed it’s function 

 

edit: zoomed in an it’s indeed a “emergency stop” button 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ZümmyZüm said:

image.thumb.png.111f64f82d19f2aab0d1752d1f8d3e65.png

here’s a photo from “Articulated” that he posted on Facebook awhile back, it shows the control system is a joystick and what could be a red emergency stop button. I haven’t seen it in person to know if that’s indeed it’s function 

Interesting.  I zoomed the photo and that is indeed an emergency stop - it’s labelled as such on the side of the yellow enclosure.

The location looks a bit too out of the way for my liking especially since the vehicle is intended to be autonomous, it’s far from guaranteed that the attendant will be standing right at the operator controls, and if things go bad fast or violently and the attendant can’t get to the button in time, the results could be bad.

Actually, it will be interesting to see the results of the accident investigation if the emergency stop button did get pressed or if it happened in such a way that the attendant didn’t get a chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/16/2021 at 8:58 PM, Articulated said:

I think the only thing more concerning to me than the fact that one of these crashed (so quickly into the pilot, mind you) is that the on-board operator was unable to stop it before it left the roadway and collided with the tree. There's gonna need to be a lot of questions surrounding how even the "fail-safe" couldn't prevent the accident from occurring.

I suspect the high winds, poor road conditions, and the overall design of the bus contributed to the crash, as opposed to some sort of technological flaw. 

On 12/17/2021 at 1:05 AM, Someguy3071 said:

This thing drives what, 20km/h? 

Yes, 40km/h in manual mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

DRT retired 8533 from its accident on the 922. It was written off. Can someone update the Wiki on it?

I actually meant to do this yesterday,

I added 7118-7122 which are due for delivery in January, I couldn’t find a single mention of the purchase of these buses, much like 6117-6119 when they were delivered, however, DRT provided an updated roster that had these vehicles listed, and I confirmed that the 5 more PULSE 40’ Novas will be delivered then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2021 at 1:57 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

I actually meant to do this yesterday,

I added 7118-7122 which are due for delivery in January, I couldn’t find a single mention of the purchase of these buses, much like 6117-6119 when they were delivered, however, DRT provided an updated roster that had these vehicles listed, and I confirmed that the 5 more PULSE 40’ Novas will be delivered then.

Must be expansion units (i suppose)

On 12/23/2021 at 11:36 AM, Shaun said:

I wonder if they did any cold weather testing. I wonder if those tires are any good in snow or icy conditions. That route has some small hills and even at slow speeds it can be difficult to get up the hill without good tires. 

It's 3D printed...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Articulated said:

The body is 3D printed, the tires are not. Those are the more critical component for traction in winter driving...

See the body is 3D printed...may have used lightweight material in it...

DRT 8444 is in Thunder Bay living it's second life

Photos are from Richard Oldfield's transit group on Facebook

It's now with a company branded as Care Bus by NorWest Community Health Centres based in Thunder Bay, Ontario
 

1.jpg

2.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DavidH said:

Durham Police have released a statement on the autonomous bus crash.  

Key points:

- The driver has been released from hospital and a full recovery is expected.

- The vehicle was being operated in manual mode and therefore the safety systems were disabled.

- The investigation is ongoing.

Boy I'm glad to hear that he's going to be okay. He was a nice guy when I met him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Fingers crossed the Cornell Terminal actually opens this spring as expected, how far down the priority list is getting DRT service to it?  GO is currently the only option for people commuting by public transit between York and Durham. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...