Jump to content

Durham Region Transit


DRT
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 11/3/2021 at 8:59 PM, Gil said:

I had to search for a reference to the autonomous shuttle service which apparently debuted this week:

CTV Toronto: Inside look at Durham's new autonomous shuttle

The piece mentions it's Canada's first integrated autonomous shuttle service.  Does the TTC pilot project in West Hill not count?  It took a little more digging to find information on DRT's route 300 which still has a "coming soon" banner on DRT's website (route map).

The shuttle route

The six-kilometre shuttle route will begin and end at the Whitby GO Transit station, making a loop through the Port Whitby area (in south Whitby).

Once public ridership begins, the shuttle service will be integrated into the existing Durham Region Transit (DRT) schedule (External link)as Route 300. The shuttle will operate weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. in off-peak times to minimize traffic impact on the community, and on weekends between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m.

The West Hill shuttle was supposed to start in October, but I’ve heard nothing lately of a start date.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 11:40 AM, Bus_Medic said:

Autonomous….but with an attendant. Cool.

Gotta find childcare arrangements for grocery shopping too. What a disaster.

The attendant isn't permanent, just temporary until the trial run is done, this is to ensure safety and reliability, in case the vehicle malfunctions and manual control is required.

The child limitation also has to do with liability. The Region doesn't want the onus on them, and rightfully so. Children on public transport can sometimes be a handful... I'm sure these regulations will be dropped when the trial period is over.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2021 at 4:59 PM, J. Bullock said:

The attendant isn't permanent, just temporary until the trial run is done, this is to ensure safety and reliability, in case the vehicle malfunctions and manual control is required.

The child limitation also has to do with liability. The Region doesn't want the onus on them, and rightfully so. Children on public transport can sometimes be a handful... I'm sure these regulations will be dropped when the trial period is over.

 

I believe the "pilot" phase is 2 or 3 months

On 11/12/2021 at 8:44 PM, 2044 said:

The West Hill shuttle was supposed to start in October, but I’ve heard nothing lately of a start date.

The one TTC is doing isn't available to the public yet (as far as I'm aware) so I suppose what they mean is the first to be available to the public

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I think the only thing more concerning to me than the fact that one of these crashed (so quickly into the pilot, mind you) is that the on-board operator was unable to stop it before it left the roadway and collided with the tree. There's gonna need to be a lot of questions surrounding how even the "fail-safe" couldn't prevent the accident from occurring.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Articulated said:

I think the only thing more concerning to me than the fact that one of these crashed (so quickly into the pilot, mind you) is that the on-board operator was unable to stop it before it left the roadway and collided with the tree. There's gonna need to be a lot of questions surrounding how even the "fail-safe" couldn't prevent the accident from occurring.

The crash happebed at 4pm and service ends around 3:30pm. The bus is suppose to be manually driven back to the yard. There have been a few recorded crashes with the Autonomous bus. Las Vegas in 2017 and in an Olympic Villiage in Japan earlier this year. This accident may also spell the end of the use the Autonomous bus trial in Whitby and also Rouge Hill. Hopefully the driver makes it out okay. A few of us were out at Whitby a few weeks ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Articulated said:

I think the only thing more concerning to me than the fact that one of these crashed (so quickly into the pilot, mind you) is that the on-board operator was unable to stop it before it left the roadway and collided with the tree. There's gonna need to be a lot of questions surrounding how even the "fail-safe" couldn't prevent the accident from occurring.

I haven't had the chance to see one of these in person yet so I was wondering if there were any big red emergency stop buttons that the attendant (or passengers, eg. like the emergency brake cords on subway, Go trains) could press the moment things went awry.  Then again, looking at the pictures of the accident, even if there were, the attendant might not have been able to get to one if they got knocked down by the vehicle mounting the curb by the time they realized things were going south if it happened quickly.

I hope the vehicle's attendant makes a full and fast recovery.  It's going to be interesting to see what there is to be learned from this accident because autonomous vehicles are still very much in their infancy and might not be as ready for prime time as had been hoped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I haven't had the chance to see one of these in person yet so I was wondering if there were any big red emergency stop buttons that the attendant (or passengers, eg. like the emergency brake cords on subway, Go trains) could press the moment things went awry.  Then again, looking at the pictures of the accident, even if there were, the attendant might not have been able to get to one if they got knocked down by the vehicle mounting the curb by the time they realized things were going south if it happened quickly.

I hope the vehicle's attendant makes a full and fast recovery.  It's going to be interesting to see what there is to be learned from this accident because autonomous vehicles are still very much in their infancy and might not be as ready for prime time as had been hoped.

image.thumb.png.111f64f82d19f2aab0d1752d1f8d3e65.png

here’s a photo from “Articulated” that he posted on Facebook awhile back, it shows the control system is a joystick and what could be a red emergency stop button. I haven’t seen it in person to know if that’s indeed it’s function 

 

edit: zoomed in an it’s indeed a “emergency stop” button 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...