Durham Region Transit

DRT

For those who are attending (or returning to) Durham College or OnTechU (Ontario Tech University aka UOIT IUniversity of Ontario Institute of Technology)), please note that the U-PASS has been "migrated" to a digital format - by the means of the PRESTO E-Tickets mobile app.

Further information can be founded here: https://durhamcollege.ca/student-life/campus-services/campus-id-u-pass#universal-transit-pass-u-pass

OnTechU has yet to provide a similar announcement - yet. It was a decade since I had graduated from Durham College and the UPASS was offered in the form of a sticker affixed to the student ID card. It would have been nice if the folks at Durham College and OnTechU (and to a lesser extent, TUD (Trent University Durham)) would have adopted a similar scheme that Carleton University, Algonguin College and uOttawa (not sure if La Cité (a francophone college in Ottawa) is covered) has.

Durham Region Transit (ADDITIONAL) Service Changes Effective September 7th!

These are some pretty big and unexpected additions to the network, in combination with what was previously announced.

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/about-us/our-services-tiles.aspx#

Route 112 - Valley Farm

A north south route operating from Pickering Parkway Terminal to Zents and Tillings in Northeast Pickering Monday-Fridays. Two branches will operate opposite routings, but generally, one will travel north on Valley Farm and the other will travel north on Brock, using the other road for the southbound trip.

This mean Pickering has 4 routes again, not including the regional routes

Route 224a - Harwood

The 224a will service parts on the former route 217 in peak periods to serve the residential and industrial areas off Monarch and Finley. I wish they posted the system map so I could comment on the routing itself, but nope. 

Route 310 - Winchester

The 310 is back! this time only in peak periods to serve students in Brooklin who would otherwise have to take the 302 to the 920 to get to class... DC, Simcoe, Winchester, Thickson, Carnwith, Baldwin, Winchester, then back to the college.

Lastly,

Route 405 - Adelaide / Wilson

Parts of the 412 and the 910 are back with this new service operating all existing 405 trips, the new 405 will travel (presumably) from the OC, along Gibb to Thornton to serve Trent U, continue up thornton to Adelaide, then take adelaide all the way to Wilson, where it will continue regular routing to Harmony Terminal, the C brach to Legends Centre will remain.

1 hour ago, John Oke said:

Has 915 unofficially been added to PULSE? The only busses I saw on it today where all Pulse ones, 8620, 8621 and 7100

The first few paddles of the day are buses that come off the N1, so in a way, yes, the pulse interlines with the 915 technically.

Next year, the 915 will be added to the PULSE network according to the Durham Region Transit 2023-2025 “The Route Ahead” Service Plan released to TEC today, I’ll write something up at some point about it, but the 916 will be added in 2023, and the 902 in 2024.

3 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

The first few paddles of the day are buses that come off the N1, so in a way, yes, the pulse interlines with the 915 technically.

Next year, the 915 will be added to the PULSE network according to the Durham Region Transit 2023-2025 “The Route Ahead” Service Plan released to TEC today, I’ll write something up at some point about it, but the 916 will be added in 2023, and the 902 in 2024.

I saw them at like 3:30 this afternoon, as well they where also going on 4XX routes 

3 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

I'm intrigued by the 915 and 916 becoming PULSED in a couple years. I'm guessing that there won't be too many stops and thus, wouke take away from any local demand there might be?

The 902 I feel like, the 902A specifically would be the main Pulse route, whist the B woukd be the local variant, or known as the 402? 

46 minutes ago, John Oke said:

I saw them at like 3:30 this afternoon, as well they where also going on 4XX routes 

The only Pulse bus on a local route I'd seen was 8611 on 405C. Pulse buses on local routes are a common place and not unusual.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 5:24 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

Durham Region Transit (ADDITIONAL) Service Changes Effective September 7th!

These are some pretty big and unexpected additions to the network, in combination with what was previously announced.

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/about-us/our-services-tiles.aspx#

Route 112 - Valley Farm

A north south route operating from Pickering Parkway Terminal to Zents and Tillings in Northeast Pickering Monday-Fridays. Two branches will operate opposite routings, but generally, one will travel north on Valley Farm and the other will travel north on Brock, using the other road for the southbound trip.

This mean Pickering has 4 routes again, not including the regional routes

Route 224a - Harwood

The 224a will service parts on the former route 217 in peak periods to serve the residential and industrial areas off Monarch and Finley. I wish they posted the system map so I could comment on the routing itself, but nope. 

Route 310 - Winchester

The 310 is back! this time only in peak periods to serve students in Brooklin who would otherwise have to take the 302 to the 920 to get to class... DC, Simcoe, Winchester, Thickson, Carnwith, Baldwin, Winchester, then back to the college.

Lastly,

Route 405 - Adelaide / Wilson

Parts of the 412 and the 910 are back with this new service operating all existing 405 trips, the new 405 will travel (presumably) from the OC, along Gibb to Thornton to serve Trent U, continue up thornton to Adelaide, then take adelaide all the way to Wilson, where it will continue regular routing to Harmony Terminal, the C brach to Legends Centre will remain.

405/405C is so infrequent...

310 is nice...saves me about a dollar off the 56

There's still a ancient system map at the Oshawa Centre bus terminal denoting the 414 service

• Confused 1

Durham Region Transit Service Changes 
effective October 4th 2021

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/about-us/our-services-tiles.aspx

Route 103 Glenanna

New weekday local route service central and west Pickering from Pickering Parkway Terminal, serving Liverpool, Glenanna, Fairport, Strouds, Whites, Kingston, Altona, Pine Grove, Valley Ridge,  Hogarth, Woodview and Waterford before turning back south on Altona towards Pickering Parkway Terminal

this route will operate every 30 minutes from 6:00am to 19:00.

Route 112 Valley Farm

No more branches, all trips operate to and from Zents via Valley Farm to reduce duplication of existing 916 service on Brock Road.

Route 411 Sourh Courtice

Schedule changes and additional peak trips.

On the 915 a few nights ago, the driver was talking with another passenger saying that the 915 will be extended along Steeles to Finch Station in a few years as well DRT was considering express service, I doubt any of that is true

As well, I want to say 60 or so percent of 915 buses are PULSE ones at any given time the main ones I've seen are 8618, 8619, 8622, 7101 and 7102

24 minutes ago, John Oke said:

On the 915 a few nights ago, the driver was talking with another passenger saying that the 915 will be extended along Steeles to Finch Station in a few years as well DRT was considering express service, I doubt any of that is true

As well, I want to say 60 or so percent of 915 buses are PULSE ones at any given time the main ones I've seen are 8618, 8619, 8622, 7101 and 7102

That first half is absolutely not true. No way will there ever (and I mean that without a shadow of a doubt) will Durham Transit ever make it to Finch Station.

There (from my understanding) some talk of a 915 branch that would serve the Amazon Facility at Steeles and Markham Road area. That has since been dropped.

As for express routes, not that I’m aware of, saying that though, a number of routes will be transitioned to PULSE branded service, Route 915 in 2022, 916 in 2023 and 902 in 2024. These services will likely feature slightly less stops, 15 minute minimum service at all times, and potentially 24 Hour service.

Other upgrades planned for the PULSE network (outside of the 900) include Queue Jump Lanes, Upgraded shelters and at stop amenities and articulated buses.

As for the 915 using PULSE buses,

Some night bus services start their paddle as an N1 or 900 between 2:00 and 5:00, these buses that end at Harmony then become early morning 915 buses. The same in reverse, the last few WB N1 buses become 900s, depending on what was assigned to the N1 for early paddles, decided what ended up on either the 900 or the 915. Both Westney and Raleigh operate trips of the N1.

Saying that, we also now have an abundance of PULSE units on the property; 8 Novas Artics, 18 Novas, and 26 Xcelsiors. Plenty to operate all three routes, and is probably a contributing reason to conger that route to PULSE in 2022, perhaps it could launch in January.

21 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Some night bus services start their paddle as an N1 or 900 between 2:00 and 5:00, these buses that end at Harmony then become early morning 915 buses. The same in reverse, the last few WB N1 buses become 900s, depending on what was assigned to the N1 for early paddles, decided what ended up on either the 900 or the 915. Both Westney and Raleigh operate trips of the N1.

The Pulse busses seem to be there all day though, for example I’d be on one on the 915 at like 3:30 in the afternoon or 8:00 in the early evening 

6 hours ago, John Oke said:

The Pulse busses seem to be there all day though, for example I’d be on one on the 915 at like 3:30 in the afternoon or 8:00 in the early evening 

They’re are kept out all day often, again though, due to the large amount of PULSE units we have, it’s now being decided to add those to the 915 it seems, in addition to the night buses that carry over

18 hours ago, John Oke said:

Depends whether or not they get changed off

Prior to the pandemic, 915 buses and 916 buses interlined during rush hour in the east end, however 915 buses usually came from Ajax routes in the west end.

But then again conventional have been making appearances still on the 915 (so it's just a matter of dispatch / luck)

On 8/25/2021 at 9:49 PM, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

For those who are attending (or returning to) Durham College or OnTechU (Ontario Tech University aka UOIT IUniversity of Ontario Institute of Technology)), please note that the U-PASS has been "migrated" to a digital format - by the means of the PRESTO E-Tickets mobile app.

Further information can be founded here: https://durhamcollege.ca/student-life/campus-services/campus-id-u-pass#universal-transit-pass-u-pass

OnTechU has yet to provide a similar announcement - yet. It was a decade since I had graduated from Durham College and the UPASS was offered in the form of a sticker affixed to the student ID card. It would have been nice if the folks at Durham College and OnTechU (and to a lesser extent, TUD (Trent University Durham)) would have adopted a similar scheme that Carleton University, Algonguin College and uOttawa (not sure if La Cité (a francophone college in Ottawa) is covered) has.

I attend Trent University Durham and the U-Pass has indeed been migrated into the Presto ecosystem. However the app can be a little buggy at times (i.e. claiming there was a error and kicks you out of the ticket).

As well, for the most part, drivers rarely ever ask for a form of student ID. I've only been on one bus where one particular driver from Raleigh division (does the 11:25AM trip of the 405C) would ask me for an ID.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

Depends whether or not they get changed off

Prior to the pandemic, 915 buses and 916 buses interlined during rush hour in the east end, however 915 buses usually came from Ajax routes in the west end.

But then again conventional have been making appearances still on the 915 (so it's just a matter of dispatch / luck)

I must have pretty good luck then, I also saw I think it was 8566 on the 901 earlier, It was conventional LFS on the 901. Also 6117 has entered service as I've seen it along Taunton once or twice but haven't rode it yet.

9 hours ago, John Oke said:

I must have pretty good luck then, I also saw I think it was 8566 on the 901 earlier, It was conventional LFS on the 901. Also 6117 has entered service as I've seen it along Taunton once or twice but haven't rode it yet.

6117-6119 have been in service since June

Believe it or not, DRT claims that in Q1/Q2 2022 a new livery will make its way to buses. This lines up with the delivery timeline of the 11 Hybrid Novas we ordered this year.

Just now, 110B West Pickering said:

Believe it or not, DRT claims that in Q1/Q2 2022 a new livery will make its way to buses. This lines up with the delivery timeline of the 11 Hybrid Novas we ordered this year.

https://calendar.durham.ca/default/Detail/2021-10-06-1330-Transit-Executive-Committee-Meeting/f4835a38-6cf8-4a4c-89e7-adb400bf5cdf 

the information is found in the Demand Responsive service report

23 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

https://calendar.durham.ca/default/Detail/2021-10-06-1330-Transit-Executive-Committee-Meeting/f4835a38-6cf8-4a4c-89e7-adb400bf5cdf 

the information is found in the Demand Responsive service report

I've felt that the new livery could've been something similar to what a couple of the Orion Vs DRT had several years ago, an additional green (grey?) line inbetween the windows and the bottom skirting panels. Maybe something similar?

I also seem to remember a full ad on an XD40 from a year and a bit ago which made it look like a 'new livery' of sorts. 

4 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

It refers to “branding”, not just a livery, so this could be a much more far-reaching change, possibly including new logos.

1 hour ago, DavidH said:

It refers to “branding”, not just a livery, so this could be a much more far-reaching change, possibly including new logos.

It absolutely is probable. It even mentions Uniforms.

Even being on TAC, this is the first I’m hearing about this. I’ll let you guys know what comes of it if I learn more.

On 9/28/2021 at 10:27 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

There (from my understanding) some talk of a 915 branch that would serve the Amazon Facility at Steeles and Markham Road area. That has since been dropped.

I think this is very unfortunate. With the Canada Post plant, this area is going to be immensely busy, and have many jobs to offer. Sadly this is wasted potential, but I see why they made this call. There is nothing on Steeles east of Morningside, (except for Staines, but we aren't going to talk about that LOL).

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 7:38 AM, Gamer Studios said:

Believe it or not 8603 broke down yesterday at UOIT on the 901B! It was replaced by 8587.

8603 2.jpg

8603.jpg

8603 3.jpg

8603 4.jpg

8603 5.jpg

The same bus also broke down on the 900 - overheard the radio system where another op was calling in dispatch saying of a oil leak

On 10/1/2021 at 5:12 PM, John Oke said:

For now the 302’s are diverting along Garden between Kenneth Hobbs(One block north of Rossland) and Manning. It’s weird seeing busses on Garden again for the first time in like 18 months 

They are back going NB and SB on Brock / Baldwin...