Durham Region Transit

DRT

2 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

September 7th, expect schedules by the end of next week

Any routes being reinstated from the unnecessary service robbery of 2020?

On 5/29/2021 at 10:10 AM, 110B West Pickering said:

Details on the big service changes coming this September are here!

They’re pretty significant.

Ill speak to them in order of appearance in the TEC agenda presentation that is going to council on June 2nd

Route 392 - Whitby

This route looks to replace a number of routes in Whitby that stopped operating during the pandemic, such as the 301, 303, 308 and 312.

The service will operate every 2 hours Monday to Friday only, with OnDemand still available in all other periods

the routing will start at the Oshawa Centre following Gibb, Stevenson, King, Kendalwood, Nichol, Glen Hill, Dundas, McQuay, Rossland, Garden, Consumers, Whitby GO, Victoria, Gordon, and turn around at Ontario Shores

Route 407 - Ritson

No longer provides service to Oshawa Centre Terminal

All trips end at Colonel Sam Drive turnaround 

Route 411 - South Courtice

Modified route 411 now replaces the Oshawa Centre half of route 407, as well as the former route 406.

This modified route will operate Monday-Saturday only with service hours matching those on the 902B

OnDemand will continue to be available when the 411 is not running.

Oshawa Centre, Gibb, Park, Tresane, Cubert, Bloor, Ritson, Wentworth, Farewell, Bloor, Grandview, Townline, Gord Vinson, Meadowglade, Glenabbey, Sandringham, Trulls, Avondale, Sandringham, Courtice Road, George Reynolds, Nash, Trulls, the route will then interline with route 902B,

PULSE 901 - Simcoe 

901B Trips from North Campus to the OC will now be introduced on Evenings and Weekends, providing a convenient link from the OC to DC at all times

Route 905 - Thickson/Reach

route 905A trips will no longer service Britannia West of Simcoe and Windfields Farm Drive, 

instead, the route will now replace former 417 service to Harmony Terminal after passing Durham College, the new routing will be following Simcoe, Britannia, Ritson, Conlin, Grandview, Coldstream, Harmony Terminal, Taunton, Grandview

Route 420 - Britannia West

No details on exact routing we’re provided, seems to be the exact former routing which would begin at Durham College, and use Simcoe, Conlin, Bridle, Britannia, Windfields Farm, and Simcoe before returning to DC North Campus.

This route will most likely interline with new route 920 at Simcoe and Founders… who needs the DC bus loop anyways?

Route 920 - Unknown name 

This is the biggest change in my opinion

DRT finally connects to the subway network at McCowan RT Station

Major destinations on this route include McCowan Station, Centennial College, Pickering Town Centre, Ajax Amazon Warehouse, Durham Regional Headquarters, and Durham College North Campus,

the routing will be McCowan RT Station, Progress Avenue, Centennial College, Progress, Sheppard, Kingston, Salem, Rossland, Thickson, Dryden, Garrard, Taunton and Simcoe before ending at North Campus.

this route will operate 7 days per week at every half hour, weekends it mentions the route only operates to Amazon, but doesn’t say where from, presumably Scarborough, Pickering and Ajax as that would be the more ridership heavy half of the line.

this also provides a nice link for people in Pickering and Central Ajax a quick means of getting to DC.

lastly, Overnight service,

DRT is launching 24 Hour transit service on route 900, and 901.

On the 900 routing will be modified as buses will not enter Centennial Circle, this is to provide a connection to the TTC Blue Night Network at Morningside and Ellesmere. In the East the route end at Simcoe Street

Overnight on the 901, the C branch will operate between North Campus and King, presumably the 901 and 900 will interline overnight,  both service will operate every 30 minutes.

overnight OnDemand service will also be launched in Urban areas to provide 24 hour transit service to much of the population, OnDemand overnight service will primarily be offered to connect people to the PULSE corridors and GO Stations

And that’s it! September look promising and it’s nice to see some old routes, or parts of them at least, beginning to return, such as the 417 for example becoming part of the 905A service.

Here is the link to the presentation

https://calendar.durham.ca/default/Detail/2021-06-02-1330-Transit-Executive-Committee-Meeting/13a766e0-19e2-41a4-821b-ad36009bc436

1 hour ago, Chris W said:

Any routes being reinstated from the unnecessary service robbery of 2020?

refer to the above post, thats the entirety of what is currently known about whats returning

• Like 1

I've been using the OnDemand Service that DRT had offered for a while now and each trip I took - was a DRT-Branded Promaster vehicle.  Is it uncommon to see a "contracted taxi" appear on the DRT On-Demand app as one of the vehicles requested for the service?

During my observations down at the Ajax GO, I often see "Circle Taxi"-branded vehicles acting as a"guise" for the DRT On-Demand Service.

14 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I've been using the OnDemand Service that DRT had offered for a while now and each trip I took - was a DRT-Branded Promaster vehicle.  Is it uncommon to see a "contracted taxi" appear on the DRT On-Demand app as one of the vehicles requested for the service?

During my observations down at the Ajax GO, I often see "Circle Taxi"-branded vehicles acting as a"guise" for the DRT On-Demand Service.

I’ve never done on-demand I just walk a mile to Thickson or up to Taunton or over to Brock 

13 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

It really depends on where you are

Pickering and Ajax each get 1 ProMaster deployed to them, Bowmanville and Courtice each have one.

they keep a 5th as a spare.

the rest is all contracted

53 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

It really depends on where you are

Pickering and Ajax each get 1 ProMaster deployed to them, Bowmanville and Courtice each have one.

they keep a 5th as a spare.

the rest is all contracted

People will get confused by the cabs. There needs to be at least 3 ProMasters for every area that's lost service. Cabs are not acceptable in my mind.

I have seen some busses with the September 7th Update exposure on the destination sign and to check the website however at the time of writing (August 10th) there's nothing about the Sept 7th service update on the website and the only schedules available are the ones effective June 21, 2021, does anyone know when we could see the new schedules? 

55 minutes ago, John Oke said:

I have seen some busses with the September 7th Update exposure on the destination sign and to check the website however at the time of writing (August 10th) there's nothing about the Sept 7th service update on the website and the only schedules available are the ones effective June 21, 2021, does anyone know when we could see the new schedules? 

Monday. According to DRT as of today

So, looks like they’re updating the website now, but it doesn’t look finished yet, it could disappear, but at the very least, here are the schedules for September 7th not including the OnDemand changes.

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/routes-and-schedules/resources/September-7-2021/920.pdf

some noteworthy changes from when they were presented in June,

4 routes (technically) now serve the DC bus Loop, 901, 420, 920 and N2

the blue night network is now consisting of the N1 (Centennial Circle to Harmony Terminal via Highway 2, Simcoe and Taunton) which will run all night and the N2 (DC to Simcoe and Wentworth) which will run until 2:30 approximately 

the 392, 420 and 920 all currently remain nameless.

The 392 has a few trips just between Ontario Shores and Whitby GO station, supplementing some lost rush hour trips of the 308c

The 420 will not run on weekends unlike the old 905A service, meaning Windfields Farms Drive and Britannia West of Simcoe have lost weekend service.

The 920 operates a very weird service pattern with most service only operating between DC and Pickering Parkway Terminal on the 920b, to match Amazon shift times and school hours, service from DC to McCowan Station will only really occur on weekday peaks, service on weekends will be provided by the 920c operating between Amazon and McCowan Stations

411 will operate on sundays after all, but only between the OC and Raleigh Garage

2 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

So, looks like they’re updating the website now, but it doesn’t look finished yet, it could disappear, but at the very least, here are the schedules for September 7th not including the OnDemand changes.

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/routes-and-schedules/resources/September-7-2021/920.pdf

the blue night network is now consisting of the N1 (Centennial Circle to Harmony Terminal via Highway 2, Simcoe and Taunton) which will run all night and the N2 (DC to Simcoe and Wentworth) which will run until 2:30 approximately 

Regarding N1 and N2 Blue Night routes, it will be interesting if there will be enough demand to support these two routes. Some people always demanding service around the clock or accessible. 

Off-hand, I know these transit agencies offer 24 hour service in Ontario:

• Mississauga has 24 hour service along Route 1 Dundas, Route 2/17 Hurontario, Route 3 Bloor and Route 7 Airport on weekdays ONLY
  • TTC has Blue Night network operating during the early morning hours when the subway and Scarborough RT finish for the night.
  • Ottawa's OC Transpo has 24 hour service every day on select rapid transit routes which is 39, 45, 75 and 97. Route 57 and 61 have their final departure between 2 AM and 3 AM depending on their first stop. The six rapid transit routes are extended downtown when Confederation Line trains are finished for the day under NightBus with N beside the route number like N39 Rideau

Reading this article years ago regarding how the London subway system runs around the clock. Of course, it is a bigger system where as Boston reduced the early morning service years ago instead having their final departures at around 1 AM for subway and select bus routes due to cost. I hope it works out for Durham Regional Transit. 

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/londons-subway-now-runs-night-doesnt/

2 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Do you mean 8505?

8605 is a PULSE XD40, unless they were finally repainted

No it was 8605 it’s repainted already. It’s still on the 900 according to Transsee

43 minutes ago, John Oke said:

Does anyone know if there’s a shortage with Pulse busses? I saw 8605 which is in the standard DRT livery on the 900 earlier today 

Regardless, no shortage of PULSE Units now with 7100-7117 all delivered,

DRT is repainting 10 86xx XD40’s

Westney operates usually at least one conventional bus on the 900 on weekdays

5 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Just now at Simcoe and Bond,

maybe you had seen 8506 which is also out on the 900 right now

A4AEB16D-1076-49CB-8F18-64FD34F11D28.jpeg

I must be seeing things then, but I swear I saw a normal livery XD40 on the 900 today

Also in Whitby along the residential side streets of Highway 2, there are a lot of Anti-BRT lawn signs up 

• Like 1

I’ve noticed in Whitby south of Victoria there are new signs up for the autonomous shuttle telling drivers to slow down, it looks like they’re still planning on going ahead with it as well, by the parks along the lake there are also what looks like little platforms for it. 

On 8/13/2021 at 9:09 PM, John Oke said:

I must be seeing things then, but I swear I saw a normal livery XD40 on the 900 today

Also in Whitby along the residential side streets of Highway 2, there are a lot of Anti-BRT lawn signs up 

NIMBY people. Why can't they appreciate public transit for those who want to use it. 

On 7/31/2021 at 8:11 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

8466 is the only D40LF in service at Raleigh

8407's tracker is out right now

bandicam 2021-08-20 10-50-34-431.jpg

On 8/13/2021 at 9:09 PM, John Oke said:

Local on Pulse and Pulse on local is pretty normal