Jump to content

Durham Region Transit


DRT
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 12/5/2020 at 2:07 AM, senzation#3 said:

My opinions on these service changes:

  • Routes 403C and 980: these routes makes sense given that essential workers work during the afternoon and night shifts though I'm not sure if these routes are either one-way or two-way service
  • 901B: Make sense given the assumption that post-secondary students were complaining having to transfer to a different route in order to go the Oshawa Centre. Especially when the 407B runs on Ritson between Bloor and Wentworth
  • 902B: Also makes sense given the complaints from the riders where they're forced to get off the bus at Trulls Road and Hwy 2
  • Routes 216 and 224: Not sure but probably it's based on the adjusted schedule based on the GO trains during the pandemic
  • 902 and 915: I assume that the service reductions is due to lack of demand
  • 405C: I'm not sure why they a branch, but it would make sense if they add a branch when the covid vaccine is available 

980 is one way to Kingston & Westney. The bus comes from the 915 Taunton and is the one that does the last eastbound trip to Harmony Terminal. Basically they would take the trip that would "deadhead" and instead make them do a extra trip per say. The bus I guess then goes Out of service into the depot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2021 at 8:04 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

The TEC agenda for Jan 6th is out, 

Notable things include: 

Simcoe Street Rapid Transit pilot essentially got kyboshed by IBI group,

In that report (produced by DRT) it made recconebdations to move the NB stop at Adelaide to the Far side of the intersection to speed up red light waits, avoid merging out of the right turn lane, and “to provide a connection to the future service along Adelaide Avenue”

this would presumably recommend that the future service along Adelaide would be the 412, hopefully returning around when this pilot was set to take place, April or May.

No zones still don’t meet the threshold for service, however, last week was their highest ridership week for OnDemand.

In a separate report, the Works Committee, is speaking confidentially on construction of bus lanes on Highway 2 and “Gibb street” Bus rapid transit, presumably this would be for expanded 901B service?

Hopefully we get the service plan next month before everything goes to budget approval. We’ve had to wait til March a few times

F81FBB7C-BAF5-4A4E-871E-2417AC455DB1.jpeg

0029BB6A-CFBC-41CC-845D-F9EF6DE1859D.jpeg

Is this confidential information supposed to be shared with the general public?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, J. Bullock said:

Is this confidential information supposed to be shared with the general public?

It’s all available publicly on the Region of Durham’s website under the council and committee calendar, DRT even tweets out the link for the agenda on their Twitter, but it’s up on the regions website the Friday before each meeting

here’s the link to the agenda and all the reports

https://calendar.durham.ca/meetings/Detail/2021-02-03-1330-Transit-Executive-Committee-Meeting/cc63e3ef-c589-4c40-8427-acbf00f72032

 

Updated:

sorry there’s the agenda you were directly referencing, the first one is from February,

Here’s January TEC

https://calendar.durham.ca/meetings/Detail/2021-01-06-1330-Transit-Executive-Committee-Meeting/fadad630-7ee3-430c-8dbb-aca000c2188c

and January Works

https://calendar.durham.ca/meetings/Detail/2021-01-06-0930-Works-Committee-Meeting/88c970f0-5de3-49e3-aa93-acb10103d307

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like DRT is looking for their long term service provider for the roughly 70% of OnDemand service that is contracted out.

Currently three service providers operate in Durham Region aside from DRT themselves, 

- Durham Rapid Taxi (Rapid Taxi and Blueline) 

- Circle Taxi

- Island Taxi (for north Durham)

This looks to ideally change that, the current temporary contract is rather limiting on what control DRT has on the operators, the vehicles and how many are provided.

With the new contract, DRT has control over some of these things, some items specifically mentioned include affixing payment technology inside the vehicle, affixing DRT branding to the sides of the vehicles, and allowing DRT to set the service and minimum vehicle levels. This includes also that a range of shuttle buses, Vans, Mini Vans, SUVs and Sedans can be used and that at least 10% must be wheelchair accessible.

 

interested bidders include a couple notable ones,

Voyago - Operates transit in St. Thomas - London and some other areas,

Driverseat - Currently provides service in Owen Sound and is predominantly airport shuttles

Via Transportation - Provides Vehicle for Hire services in other cities in the US such as Chicago, New York and Washington

interestingly Pacific Western has also expressed interest in this contract, not sure to what extent, contractors are also allowed to subcontract out the work as long as all responsibilities are met.

the contract is for Late March to February 28, 2022 and has three 1 month extensions as an option.

included is also an attachment with OnDemand ridership averages in the highest period of ridership and provides a forecast for ridership until the end of the contract.

https://durham.bidsandtenders.ca/Module/Tenders/en/Document/Download/5f061a57-2e13-4cbb-85fb-739f890c2428?Ignore=True

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, ORION said:

#6117 at Nova this week.

durham6117.jpg

Interesting, I’ll have to look back at some reports to try and determine how many are coming,

all I was aware that was on order as of July 2020 was

8 Growth PULSE 40’

5 Replacement PULSE 40’ and 

2 Growth PULSE 60’ 

maybe the 5 PULSE replacements got turned into 5 Conventional replacements

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Interesting, I’ll have to look back at some reports to try and determine how many are coming,

all I was aware that was on order as of July 2020 was

8 Growth PULSE 40’

5 Replacement PULSE 40’ and 

2 Growth PULSE 60’ 

maybe the 5 PULSE replacements got turned into 5 Conventional replacements

If it is just 6117, it could be another replacement unit. @110B West PickeringAny status updates on 8563?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, ORION said:

#6117 at Nova this week.

durham6117.jpg

I confirmed with DRT the current buses on order including these ones

6117-6119 are three growth buses sent to DRT and are fully funded by insurance claims due to the fires that had happened in 2019 and 2020, included is 8563 which is unknown it’s status, but is still on DRT property. The three new buses are headed to Westney

8 Growth 40’ PULSE buses are coming as part of the ICIP project for the Simcoe street rapid transit corridor

6 Replacement 40’ PULSE buses are part of 13 replacements over 3 years. These are meant to allow conversion of the 8600s to conventional service to accumulate less miles.

lastly, 2 Artics are coming (9106-7) that are growth vehicles for the 900.

That means before conversion, the PULSE fleet will have 52 buses in it, enough to theoretically run Highway 2, Simcoe and Taunton, if they wanted to, (but they’re not)

6117-6119 are pending delivery in the next 1 or 2 weeks,

all of the rest are coming in May-July

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2021 at 4:33 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

Looks like DRT is looking for their long term service provider for the roughly 70% of OnDemand service that is contracted out.

Currently three service providers operate in Durham Region aside from DRT themselves, 

- Durham Rapid Taxi (Rapid Taxi and Blueline) 

- Circle Taxi

- Island Taxi (for north Durham)

This looks to ideally change that, the current temporary contract is rather limiting on what control DRT has on the operators, the vehicles and how many are provided.

With the new contract, DRT has control over some of these things, some items specifically mentioned include affixing payment technology inside the vehicle, affixing DRT branding to the sides of the vehicles, and allowing DRT to set the service and minimum vehicle levels. This includes also that a range of shuttle buses, Vans, Mini Vans, SUVs and Sedans can be used and that at least 10% must be wheelchair accessible.

 

interested bidders include a couple notable ones,

Voyago - Operates transit in St. Thomas - London and some other areas,

Driverseat - Currently provides service in Owen Sound and is predominantly airport shuttles

Via Transportation - Provides Vehicle for Hire services in other cities in the US such as Chicago, New York and Washington

interestingly Pacific Western has also expressed interest in this contract, not sure to what extent, contractors are also allowed to subcontract out the work as long as all responsibilities are met.

the contract is for Late March to February 28, 2022 and has three 1 month extensions as an option.

included is also an attachment with OnDemand ridership averages in the highest period of ridership and provides a forecast for ridership until the end of the contract.

https://durham.bidsandtenders.ca/Module/Tenders/en/Document/Download/5f061a57-2e13-4cbb-85fb-739f890c2428?Ignore=True

I was hoping that RideCo would be among those who wanted to get into the DRT OnDemand service. The similar case is true for some of the multi-billion ridesharing giants like Uber and Lyft.

I have yet to try out the DRT OnDemand myself regrettably. Remember my thought about the DRT OnDemand service and the service to the ski resorts (i.e. Dagmar, Lakeridge - and another resort called Brimacombe) a while back? I actually inquired to one of the ski resorts about their say about DRT's OnDemand service - sadly, they turned a "blind eye" to my request (that turned into a sarcastic answer) stating that "DRT does not serve the resorts, but Uber/Lyft is your option". 

I then contacted DRT directly about the OnDemand service and this time I got a better answer (but stating that I wanted to go from one OnDemand zone to another, Urban to Rural or vice-versa - in my example, I would like to request a ride from the Pickering Parkway Terminal to the Dagmar or Lakeridge Ski resorts). While I was pleased with DRT's response, they advised me that "due to the size of On Demand vehicles, passengers would not be able to carry ski / snowboard on an On Demand vehicle."

That makes sense due to the limitations of the DRT OnDemand service right now. Fortunately (with the new contract), that limitation would eventually be resolved or worked around to some extent. As for my bucket list to check out the Lakeridge or Dagmar resorts - that matter has since been dashed due to the pandemic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 4:32 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

All 2006 and nearly all 2007 D40Lfs are retired. 

8466 has returned to Westney after spending more than a year at Raleigh.

This move leaves Raleigh with no more 84xx D40Lfs.

8466 is still at Raleigh 

Screenshot_20210304-123410_Chrome.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ICAMI (In Case Anyone Missed IT), Durham Region Transit will be organizing some "virtual" Public Information Sessions in the coming weeks - in which DRT riders can give feedback about the issues facing the current transit system right now (especially during the pandemic).

Further information can be founded here: https://yourvoice.durham.ca/durham-region-transit-pics

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Region of Durham Awarded the 11+3 month contract for OnDemand co-operation to Whitby company “Hudson Transportation Inc.” for a cost of $1,147,806.72 

in the past they’ve seemed to be involved heavily with software, but also charter, shuttle and airport bus, sedan and van services.

might work out being better than the current service and vehicles than what is currently offered by Coventry.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

UPDATE:

Turns out Hudson Transportation is a not who I thought it was, It is actually the company that owns Circle Taxi in Whitby, they (according to their website) have experience operating a large fleet that can be branded for the needs of any service provider... lets see if that's true, they'll begin operations in just two weeks.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

UPDATE:

Turns out Hudson Transportation is a not who I thought it was, It is actually the company that owns Circle Taxi in Whitby, they (according to their website) have experience operating a large fleet that can be branded for the needs of any service provider... lets see if that's true, they'll begin operations in just two weeks.

I have yet to try out the new OnDemand service myself but I wanted to know how intuitve the OnDemand service is like (i.e. first hand experiences) I really don't want my first OnDemand ride - to be the last in terms of the functionality. 

I'm not sure if you could book an OnDemand ride - either 24 or even 48 hours in advance? Also, the OnDemand zones can be confusing to me (i.e. if I live in one of the OnDemand areas and wanted to go to the Ajax GO station, then it would have resulted me in this: pickup from an area within the OnDemand zone -> drop-off at the connecting bus route -> get off from the connecting bus route at the Ajax GO. Sorry if I put this out of context but in simple terms, would it be possible to catch an OnDemand ride from one OnDemand zone to a connecting stop/GO train station within the same (or in proximity of a) OnDemand zone?).

Can you at least provide some insight in this? I don't want to be charged an extra fare not covered in the DRT OnDemand contract that third party taxi providers must follow (DRT-operated vehicles are fine but third party taxis - that's just one question that needs to be answered).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I have yet to try out the new OnDemand service myself but I wanted to know how intuitve the OnDemand service is like (i.e. first hand experiences) I really don't want my first OnDemand ride - to be the last in terms of the functionality. 

I'm not sure if you could book an OnDemand ride - either 24 or even 48 hours in advance? Also, the OnDemand zones can be confusing to me (i.e. if I live in one of the OnDemand areas and wanted to go to the Ajax GO station, then it would have resulted me in this: pickup from an area within the OnDemand zone -> drop-off at the connecting bus route -> get off from the connecting bus route at the Ajax GO. Sorry if I put this out of context but in simple terms, would it be possible to catch an OnDemand ride from one OnDemand zone to a connecting stop/GO train station within the same (or in proximity of a) OnDemand zone?).

Can you at least provide some insight in this? I don't want to be charged an extra fare not covered in the DRT OnDemand contract that third party taxi providers must follow (DRT-operated vehicles are fine but third party taxis - that's just one question that needs to be answered).

For me, OnDemand has been reactively intuitive, sometimes pickup times are a bit earlier than it says, suddenly you’ll get a notification that the driver is arriving, 

it does have to be booked on the same day, but that can be as early as midnight,

Most zones are Pickup, then take you too a terminal, in Ajax, I think all zones take you to the GO Stations, they now have individual OnDemand Zone maps that show each zone, all the pickup stops, and all the places it will bring you,  here’s a link to that:

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/about-us/our-services-tiles.aspx#On-Demand-maps---current

Overall, as long as you use the app and you ensure you’re at the bus stop on time, you should have a good experience!

Also, at least for now, Contractor cabs (Sedans and Minivans) dont have presto equipment and that results in a free ride.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 110B West Pickering said:

For me, OnDemand has been reactively intuitive, sometimes pickup times are a bit earlier than it says, suddenly you’ll get a notification that the driver is arriving, 

it does have to be booked on the same day, but that can be as early as midnight,

Most zones are Pickup, then take you too a terminal, in Ajax, I think all zones take you to the GO Stations, they now have individual OnDemand Zone maps that show each zone, all the pickup stops, and all the places it will bring you,  here’s a link to that:

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/about-us/our-services-tiles.aspx#On-Demand-maps---current

Overall, as long as you use the app and you ensure you’re at the bus stop on time, you should have a good experience!

Also, at least for now, Contractor cabs (Sedans and Minivans) dont have presto equipment and that results in a free ride.

Thanks for your meaningful and articulate response. I will do a "practise run" at some point within the future - within Ajax to see if it's well advertised. 

 

It may be also be useful in the future when I want to go on a day trip (when the weather is nice) from Bowmanville (connecting from the 902 Pulse) to Newcastle (and visa versa)! The similar case is true from Oshawa to a place in Courtice called "Food Truck Alley" (this place was mentioned in a Facebook group called "Durham Region Eats" - ironically, the area where Food Truck Alley is located is covered in the Rural On-demand zone). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2021 at 12:06 AM, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Thanks for your meaningful and articulate response. I will do a "practise run" at some point within the future - within Ajax to see if it's well advertised. 

 

It may be also be useful in the future when I want to go on a day trip (when the weather is nice) from Bowmanville (connecting from the 902 Pulse) to Newcastle (and visa versa)! The similar case is true from Oshawa to a place in Courtice called "Food Truck Alley" (this place was mentioned in a Facebook group called "Durham Region Eats" - ironically, the area where Food Truck Alley is located is covered in the Rural On-demand zone). 

If that is true, wouldn't the 910 Campus Connect be rebranded as Pulse when that gets reinstated hopefully in September?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

If that is true, wouldn't the 910 Campus Connect be rebranded as Pulse when that gets reinstated hopefully in September?

DRT as of right now has no plans to bring back the 910, it’s better served by the Simcoe Corridor anyway,

the 910 used to run down Simcoe to Rossland previously and now with the B,

in the future I’d like to see a new 417 service that would operate from the OC  to Harmony Terminal DC using Thornton and Collins Road

the 417 prepandemic was one of the highest ridership weekday routes

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gamer Studios said:

My University alone is planning to return to in person learning in September. 

That doesn’t mean DRT is planning more routes, the 901 and 905 offer the connections from the OC, and Whitby GO, the 304 could return as per DRT’s plans, that’s still decent connectivity,

if the 910 came back in its routing, it would be an extension of the 917.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...