Durham Region Transit

DRT

Hopefully phase 2 can start about April when the weather is better and more people are vacinated. As for phase three possibly around September when most people are vacinated and more people go back to transit?

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, 2822 said:

Hopefully phase 2 can start about April when the weather is better and more people are vacinated. As for phase three possibly around September when most people are vacinated and more people go back to transit?

They’ve cancelled the phased program and are launching individual routes as they’re necessary

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

They’ve cancelled the phased program and are launching individual routes as they’re necessary

When did that happened? And what was the reason why they decided to cancel the phase program?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, senzation#3 said:

When did that happened? And what was the reason why they decided to cancel the phase program?

Some time after implementation and until November 6th, that’s when they made it clear that because it will take way too long to reimplement service in the phased approach as OnDemand ridership has to reach 20bph in each area a route would serve, so they scrapped that, and are implementing routes as OnDemand zones start to reach that 20bph number.

Presently the only area that has experienced great amounts of demand has been Pickering and Courtice.

In west Pickering there are approximately 8bph and in Courtice, there’s approximately 5-6.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Some time after implementation and until November 6th, that’s when they made it clear that because it will take way too long to reimplement service in the phased approach as OnDemand ridership has to reach 20bph in each area a route would serve, so they scrapped that, and are implementing routes as OnDemand zones start to reach that 20bph number.

Presently the only area that has experienced great amounts of demand has been Pickering and Courtice.

In west Pickering there are approximately 8bph and in Courtice, there’s approximately 5-6.

Methinks somebody in DRT management has ties with the taxi company running the OnDemand. They clearly don't want to reinstate the routes they cut.

1 hour ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Then why DRT didn't they just breakdown the OnDemand ridership numbers by zones rather than combined ridership? That's just misleading to the public imo. Is there any info on the OnDemand ridership numbers by zones?

1 hour ago, Chris W said:

Methinks somebody in DRT management has ties with the taxi company running the OnDemand. They clearly don't want to reinstate the routes they cut.

That's not a good thing either. I can see cab drivers harassing passengers to take them to their destinations for more money. I have had that happened in Milton many times before they got kicked off of TransCab.

2 hours ago, 2044 said:

I really dislike having to use a cab. Maybe a bit irrational, but I feel much safer on a bus with a few people than cooped up in a cab with the driver.

Not just a cab driver, but a ridesharing driver too! There are may be times in which I have to use a ridesharing service (excuse the collusion here) - during the cold winter months. In the summertime, I utilize my bicycle or even a pair of rollerblades/rollerskates!

6 hours ago, senzation#3 said:

Then why DRT didn't they just breakdown the OnDemand ridership numbers by zones rather than combined ridership? That's just misleading to the public imo. Is there any info on the OnDemand ridership numbers by zones?

There have been in previous months TEC reports and Committee of the whole presentations. But none in January.

9 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

So if my math is correct, there was over 1,000 boardings per week in West Pickering and about 635-762 boardings per week in Courtice. I'm surprised there wasn't as much demand in most of Whitby OnDemand Zones Compared to these zones

24 minutes ago, senzation#3 said:

So if my math is correct, there was over 1,000 boardings per week in West Pickering and about 635-762 boardings per week in Courtice. I'm surprised there wasn't as much demand in most of Whitby OnDemand Zones Compared to these zones

Hardly any advertising for it in Whitby 

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

Why is this bus active when its retired on CPTDB? @110B West Pickering

bandicam 2021-01-18 19-50-03-177.jpg

On CPTDB, the auction site lists it as retired https://web.archive.org/web/20201226040658/https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=85&acctid=7550

Two possible answers. Could have been put back into service which is unlikley or the tracker unit has been put on a different bus.

• Like 1

ICAMI (In case anyone missed it), DRT is collaborating with Metrolinx on ironing out a solution for post-secondary students:

Although there's little information to share, I'm hoping that this will overcome the U-Pass issues that post-secondary students are very upset with ever since the pandemic. 

In other news, many DRT bus announcements now have a statement add that "Face coverings or masks are required".  For example: "Route 900 to Oshawa - Face coverings or masks are required" (or something like that). 

15 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

ICAMI (In case anyone missed it), DRT is collaborating with Metrolinx on ironing out a solution for post-secondary students:

Although there's little information to share, I'm hoping that this will overcome the U-Pass issues that post-secondary students are very upset with ever since the pandemic. 

In other news, many DRT bus announcements now have a statement add that "Face coverings or masks are required".  For example: "Route 900 to Oshawa - Face coverings or masks are required" (or something like that). 

More details regarding the situation with PRESTO and the uPass are available in the January 6th Transit Executive Committee Agenda,

but essentially, in the past MX didn’t want to give DRT the cost sharing percentage that DRT wanted,

then DRT said that they’ll outsource if they have to

then MX came back to the bargaining table.

that’s where we are now.

UPass is the reason that DRT had the lowest PRESTO adoption among any of the supported agencies in 2019 at 37.5% (even worse than OC Transpo at 42%

20 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

DRT U-Pass contract is being extended for a extra year due to COVID-19... https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/fares-and-passes/u-pass.aspx @110B West Pickering

@110B West Pickering @FutureHeartsJunkie U-Pass contract is extended until Aug 2022 

bandicam 2021-01-23 15-03-42-408.jpg

Hello,

today the budget and business plans have been released and while I haven’t given it the most in-depth read over like I typically would have, I will, 

there are some things to note about this years budget.

it’s open ended, it’s open enough that if ridership improves, they’ll be able to operate service, but if it doesn’t, funds that would’ve been used to operate a higher service network will instead be directed to capita projects.

Typicaly year over year this report contains information about the upcoming years service changes, however given the current state of the system, only two “specific” changes have been noted if ridership remains stagnent whereas they also mention improvements to the high frequency network and routes (with an S) within Northern Durham Region
The two “specific” changes include a plan is to provide increased service to the Amazon Fufilment Centre being constructed in Ajax at Salem Road and Rossland, this would likely be increases to route 224 and 916 directly and the 216 due to the 224 increase. I’d also imagine that they may modify the 980 service to operate via the area

the other planned change is to operate the 200Z service to the Rouge Natural Urban Park and the Toronto Zoo from Ajax on weekends in the period from May to October, pending the Zoo is open.

The other most ... frightening?... change is that beyond the 11 Convention Hybrid buses this year, no replacement vehiclea will be required as our fleet size requirement has dropped from our current 212 fleet size to a new 189 total. 

15 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

the other planned change is to operate the 200Z service to the Rouge Natural Urban Park and the Toronto Zoo from Ajax on weekends in the period from May to October, pending the Zoo is open.

Would that go via Finch and Meadowvale or Kingston, Sheppard and Meadowvale?

32 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

When it was announced in April last year it travelled from Ajax GO along Kingston to Sheppard, Meadowvale, Rouge Park Entrance and the Toronto Zoo Loop

Are they considering stopping at the Glen Rouge Campground on Kingston Rd?

10 minutes ago, 2044 said:

Are they considering stopping at the Glen Rouge Campground on Kingston Rd?

I asked them this last year and they had told me that it was not part of their considerations as it would be impossible to implement the service going eastbound without first implementing traffic controls to allow passengers to cross the street.