• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, these photos are courtesy of Richard Oldfield

There we go.  

All, the above post sums it up nicely. Please post civilly here. We have a community of people all interested in a common topic, and we don't need any more negative or useless posts. Consider yourselv

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, DavidH said:

Not sure how many there are, but there’s already 8574.

im not gonna lie, I’m kinda disappointed.

”something we’ve never done before”

of course you’ve never put a mask on the front of a bus...

10 hours ago, John Oke said:

If we look at their previous rationale it’s probably something about how to screw over passengers even more 

You know, I may be the only person who likes the new network better than the old one, by a long shot.

I do believe some more community routes are needed, but where I’m living, I’ve never had better and more reliable service than OnDemand and the 902

• Like 1
On 11/27/2020 at 1:33 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT Does indeed have some service changes coming.

effective December 7th 2020

Route 405 Wilson will see new 405C Branch serving the Delpark Homes Community Centre every hour, seven days a week.

Effective January 3rd 2021

Routes 216 and 224 will reduce service to every 30 minutes in Peak from every 15 minutes.

902 and 915 will operate every 30 minutes from every 15 on Saturday mornings and Sunday’s.

this means that on Sunday’s the 902B will not operate.

Major changes:

403 Park will have a new 403C branch, operating from the South Oshawa Employment area in the late night to Downtown Oshawa.

901B PULSE Simcoe will now operate between Durham College and the Oshawa Centre, for service to Ritson, take route 407B and for service to Simcoe and Wentworth, take the 901

902B King will now operate to Courtice Road, then return to Trulls Road and King via George Reynolds Drive

New Route 980 will provide Late Night service from the South Oshawa Employment area to Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax and Pickering via Highway 2. 

on another note, no routes are otherwise close to returning, OnDemand zones have to reach 20 boarding/hour, currently Pickering West zone is nearing 7 per hour and south Courtice is at 4

My opinions on these service changes:

• Routes 403C and 980: these routes makes sense given that essential workers work during the afternoon and night shifts though I'm not sure if these routes are either one-way or two-way service
  • 901B: Make sense given the assumption that post-secondary students were complaining having to transfer to a different route in order to go the Oshawa Centre. Especially when the 407B runs on Ritson between Bloor and Wentworth
  • 902B: Also makes sense given the complaints from the riders where they're forced to get off the bus at Trulls Road and Hwy 2
  • Routes 216 and 224: Not sure but probably it's based on the adjusted schedule based on the GO trains during the pandemic
  • 902 and 915: I assume that the service reductions is due to lack of demand
  • 405C: I'm not sure why they a branch, but it would make sense if they add a branch when the covid vaccine is available 

What a joke!
The expectation of having 20 people boarding for the OnDemand services seems like such lofty high standards to accomplish. 20 boardings per revenue hour equates to justify 30 minute, base maximum conventional transit service. That won't happen given that the convenience is no longer there. 7 to 8 boardings per hour constitutes to about hourly conventional transit service. I am taking a guess here as I haven't seen their service standards. Even Burlington Transit is doing much better than a large, regional-based system like DRT.
Pre-covid, DRT was a forward-thinking, respectable agency that had great plans in place. We were laughing at YRT for their medaling in why they have historically bad ridership and those at the top who may those plans and the funding they receive wonder why? 
Now, they're region which I think is so much larger than York, has so much OnDemand. Not just in those rural areas where it can be more beneficial and cost-effective, but in urban areas where conventional transit service was there for so many years. Now, it's being treated in the same way as a rural area. 
Sure, ridership went down to covid, but going this far backwards to try to regain ridership is complete nonsense. It will be a very long time before even Stage A or B, or whatever stage it's in, to be advanced o the next stage. Not just with covid getting better, but passengers will take their time to get back to the system as they've lost trust in it.
The 'new YRT' is DRT. Congradulations.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, newflyerinvero said:

What a joke!
The expectation of having 20 people boarding for the OnDemand services seems like such lofty high standards to accomplish. 20 boardings per revenue hour equates to justify 30 minute, base maximum conventional transit service. That won't happen given that the convenience is no longer there. 7 to 8 boardings per hour constitutes to about hourly conventional transit service. I am taking a guess here as I haven't seen their service standards. Even Burlington Transit is doing much better than a large, regional-based system like DRT.
Pre-covid, DRT was a forward-thinking, respectable agency that had great plans in place. We were laughing at YRT for their medaling in why they have historically bad ridership and those at the top who may those plans and the funding they receive wonder why? 
Now, they're region which I think is so much larger than York, has so much OnDemand. Not just in those rural areas where it can be more beneficial and cost-effective, but in urban areas where conventional transit service was there for so many years. Now, it's being treated in the same way as a rural area. 
Sure, ridership went down to covid, but going this far backwards to try to regain ridership is complete nonsense. It will be a very long time before even Stage A or B, or whatever stage it's in, to be advanced o the next stage. Not just with covid getting better, but passengers will take their time to get back to the system as they've lost trust in it.

I think the only time where OnDemand reaches 20 boarders per hour is when a vaccine is available and besides pre-covid, the majority of DRT's ridership contains the huge bulk of students (secondary and post-secondary) and rush-hour commuters who takes the GO train/bus. In other words we won't get to Phase B/C until a vaccine is available

On 12/5/2020 at 3:01 PM, newflyerinvero said:

What a joke!

They don’t hear it this way unfortunately, right now it’s all sunshine and rainbows cause ridership as a whole is up, now financially counting for about 50% of firebox (or PRESTO I guess) revenue from pre covid levels. DRT will be happy to tel you have much ridership has grown due to routes like the 902 and 917 which were long overdue.

I live in Rural Clarington where for me the OnDemand Service is a godsend compared to the 90 which ran through Newcastle every 2 hours most of the day.

That doesn’t mean that OnDemand is the same godsend to the people that live in West Pickering, East Whitby, North Bowmanville or South Courtice. Where these areas previously had a 30 minute weekday route or an hourly weekend route. 

I think a big issue for most people isn’t taking OnDemand, but it’s the fact that they no longer have a one seat ride to the nearest terminal.

People in South Courtice for example used to have a convenient route to the Oshawa Centre. Now they have to take an OnDemand to Highway 2, and then take the 902 to the Oshawa Centre. I think they like the flexibility in the service hours and the technical availability of service, but don’t like the inconvenience of having to wait at to snow plastered bus stops in -18 degree weather.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:11 PM, senzation#3 said:

Definitely a waste of money and a waste of time. They've could've use that money to enhance some current routes (Phase A)

Not really...its more of a advertising campaign! As we all know, some still defy mask rules and public health guidance sadly.

DRT received a number of new low floor Arboc vehicles, there are at least 3 I’ve seen so far, 5103 is at Raleigh and 5104-05 are at Westney.

Not sure how many total were getting, but they’re already in service.

here’s a photo next to the older cutaways

like the PULSE Novas, they’ve lost the grey skirting83F3FC4B-9597-4FE7-9BA9-8EB85F8D44C1.thumb.jpeg.ae3cc9b1bfa74381f669160a159bbe99.jpeg

6D072A80-B6A7-4EA0-8227-19C2601E7AE1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT received a number of new low floor Arboc vehicles, there are at least 3 I’ve seen so far, 5103 is at Raleigh and 5104-05 are at Westney.

Not sure how many total were getting, but they’re already in service.

here’s a photo next to the older cutaways

like the PULSE Novas, they’ve lost the grey skirting83F3FC4B-9597-4FE7-9BA9-8EB85F8D44C1.thumb.jpeg.ae3cc9b1bfa74381f669160a159bbe99.jpeg

6D072A80-B6A7-4EA0-8227-19C2601E7AE1.jpeg

I wonder if the Arboc's are to be used for on demand as well as the mobility service. Are they receiving more ProMasters?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

I wonder if the Arboc's are to be used for on demand as well as the mobility service. Are they receiving more ProMasters?

I wonder the same, I’ve reached out to Audra McKinley at DRT, she’s the GM of maintenance and Supervisor of operations.

She hasn’t responded,

DRT is set to receive 16 promasters I believe between 2021 and 2023

17 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

It's just how they are dispatched out. 

I don’t think so... it’s never been the case DRT has done something like this, especially considering how many of them are in our fleet at this point.

there’s none out as of yet today, and PULSE buses are operating on the 902 again, something has happened

As of right now, all I know is that at Westney division, they are (according to a driver I know who works there) have do not drive signs in the dashes

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

It's just how they are dispatched out. 

I don’t think so... it’s never been the case DRT has done something like this, especially considering how many of them are in our fleet at this point.

there’s none out as of yet today, and PULSE buses are operating on the 902 again, something has happened

As of right now, all I know is that at Westney division, they are (according to a driver I know who works there) have do not drive signs in the dashes

UPDATE:

there’s some major fleet movements as well, 

8545 is a Westney unit on the 405C

8461,8468 and 8470 are in Whitby but they’re all Westney units 

theres probably more

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, 110B West Pickering said:

UPDATE:

there’s some major fleet movements as well, 

8545 is a Westney unit on the 405C

8461,8468 and 8470 are in Whitby but they’re all Westney units 

theres probably more

8547 on 407

3 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

@110B West Pickering @TTC 9701Turns out they are suffering a mechanical issue...

bandicam 2020-12-21 16-47-56-893.png

That’s the reply they sent to my tweet.

the mechanical issue actually turns out to be two small fires they’ve had recently, and the one on 8567 earlier this year have prompted them to sideline them until further investigation

• 2 weeks later...

The TEC agenda for Jan 6th is out, 

Notable things include: 

Simcoe Street Rapid Transit pilot essentially got kyboshed by IBI group,

In that report (produced by DRT) it made recconebdations to move the NB stop at Adelaide to the Far side of the intersection to speed up red light waits, avoid merging out of the right turn lane, and “to provide a connection to the future service along Adelaide Avenue”

this would presumably recommend that the future service along Adelaide would be the 412, hopefully returning around when this pilot was set to take place, April or May.

No zones still don’t meet the threshold for service, however, last week was their highest ridership week for OnDemand.

In a separate report, the Works Committee, is speaking confidentially on construction of bus lanes on Highway 2 and “Gibb street” Bus rapid transit, presumably this would be for expanded 901B service?

Hopefully we get the service plan next month before everything goes to budget approval. We’ve had to wait til March a few times

F81FBB7C-BAF5-4A4E-871E-2417AC455DB1.jpeg

0029BB6A-CFBC-41CC-845D-F9EF6DE1859D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

So here are the ridership numbers from On Demand-Urban Area: https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/Modules/News/index.aspx?newsId=ac422ac5-2f91-4072-ad85-46dccf182e33&feedId=fcda21e8-a0d7-4bbe-9955-c4e9163cc1fd

November 2020: 8,931 

December 2020: 8,288

So On Demand is available from:

05:00-24:00 Monday-Friday (19 hrs/day, 5 days)

07:00-24:00 Saturday (17 hrs)

07:00-22:00 Sunday (15 hrs)

Since the threshold for On Demand-Urban Area is 20 boardings/hr to introduce phase B. If my math is correct,

(20*19*5)+(20*17)+(20*15)

1900+340+300 = 2,540 boardings/week

And since a month is approximate 4 weeks, it will be in the range of 10,000-11,000 boardings/month minimum in order to reach the threshold. Please correct me if I'm wrong