Durham Region Transit

55 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT Made the announcement about OnDemand

details are here

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/travelling-with-us/planning-your-travel.aspx?_mid_=28149

They’re launching the DRT OnDemand App, it’s out now on the App Store and Google Play.

theyre removing booking time minimums, no more two hour waits, it’s now a lot more like Uber if you’re using the app.

I think they should have released all of this with their original message. People on social media wouldn’t have been freaking out as bad. I think, absent information, everyone was coming up with their own worst case scenarios. 

• Sad 1
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, these photos are courtesy of Richard Oldfield

There we go.  

All, the above post sums it up nicely. Please post civilly here. We have a community of people all interested in a common topic, and we don't need any more negative or useless posts. Consider yourselv

Posted Images

8 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT Made the announcement about OnDemand

details are here

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/travelling-with-us/planning-your-travel.aspx?_mid_=28149

They’re launching the DRT OnDemand App, it’s out now on the App Store and Google Play.

theyre removing booking time minimums, no more two hour waits, it’s now a lot more like Uber if you’re using the app.

That's a good benefit to hear. 

I always wanted to go to a place just outside of Oshawa (in a small community named "Hampton") called "Food Truck Alley" (in fact there is a Facebook group dedicating to all the local restaurants in the Durham Region called "Durham Region Eats") and currently, it's not being served by any means of transit access. 

This brought me memories when I mention about the time I wanted to visit the Dagmar Ski Resort (or Lakeridge Ski Resort) in the winter - as part of my bucket list.

Hopefully with On Demand being expanded to these locales, it will open some new opportunities for me on getting around without a car!

On 8/19/2020 at 1:37 PM, 2044 said:

I think they should have released all of this with their original message. People on social media wouldn’t have been freaking out as bad. I think, absent information, everyone was coming up with their own worst case scenarios. 

It's definitely looking better now, but there are still a lot of details to find out about. What will the average wait after booking, for example? How confusing will this be to riders - particularly older ones?  How many riders don't even know this is happening and will be standing at stops on Monday waiting for buses that will not come? 

We'll have to see...

Funny, though.  TVO just published an article about transit agencies experimenting with on-demand services, but what we've got here in Durham is more than just an experiment.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, DavidH said:

It's definitely looking better now, but there are still a lot of details to find out about. What will the average wait after booking, for example? How confusing will this be to riders - particularly older ones?  How many riders don't even know this is happening and will be standing at stops on Monday waiting for buses that will not come? 

We'll have to see...

Funny, though.  TVO just published an article about transit agencies experimenting with on-demand services, but what we've got here in Durham is more than just an experiment.

It doesn’t matter quite yet anyway... 

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/Modules/News/index.aspx?feedId=f3f5ff28-b7b8-45ab-8d28-fdf53f51d6bf&newsId=4bdda56c-0322-4fec-95e5-fe740d6c3088

The same service levels will be in place until at least the September board begins on September 7th.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/Modules/News/index.aspx?feedId=f3f5ff28-b7b8-45ab-8d28-fdf53f51d6bf&newsId=4bdda56c-0322-4fec-95e5-fe740d6c3088

The same service levels will be in place until at least the September board begins on September 7th.

There are no words for how incompetent this is.

• Thanks 3
On 8/21/2020 at 4:09 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

I love the lie of "Unexpected deployment issues". They can spin it all they want but this was never going to work. This is a desperate attempt to save face after they were lambasted on social media for cutting 2/3 of the route network and replacing them with ProMaster vans with DRT logos on them.

On 8/21/2020 at 4:09 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

On 8/21/2020 at 4:38 PM, DavidH said:

There are no words for how incompetent this is.

1 hour ago, Chris W said:

I love the lie of "Unexpected deployment issues". They can spin it all they want but this was never going to work. This is a desperate attempt to save face after they were lambasted on social media for cutting 2/3 of the route network and replacing them with ProMaster vans with DRT logos on them.

It says on the website that it’s now been postponed until further notice, so it might be canceled all together or delayed beyond the September board 

To be fair, they never mentioned what type of vehicle they were going to use. Could have been full-sized buses in some areas, like they used on the late night shuttles. They also have five ProMaster vans. Not sure if that’s enough to adequately cover everything.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

As per the August 29th GTFS Data feed update, the 902 will start service on September 8th, all other changes are still postponed.

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/routes-and-schedules/resources/September-8/902-King-September-8.pdf

schedule was just posted,  interesting that all eastbound trips go to Bowmanville but no westbound trips go to the Oshawa GO, only the Oshawa Centre, curious if GO will still choose not to reduce the service after all.

ICAMI (In case anyone missed it): PRESTO E-tickets are now available for Durham Region Transit. The only problem is - you have to download the app to take advantage of it. The app is called the "PRESTO E-Ticket app".

While it sucks that there isn't an option available for the Access Pass (those who are on ODSP or OW (Ontario Disability Support Program and Ontario Works respectively) are eligible for the Access Pass - providing if the recipients show proof) to be purchased on the PRESTO E-ticket app.

Source: https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/fares-and-passes/presto.aspx

On 9/1/2020 at 10:43 PM, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

ICAMI (In case anyone missed it): PRESTO E-tickets are now available for Durham Region Transit. The only problem is - you have to download the app to take advantage of it. The app is called the "PRESTO E-Ticket app".

While it sucks that there isn't an option available for the Access Pass (those who are on ODSP or OW (Ontario Disability Support Program and Ontario Works respectively) are eligible for the Access Pass - providing if the recipients show proof) to be purchased on the PRESTO E-ticket app.

Source: https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/fares-and-passes/presto.aspx

Just reading about the Presto E-Ticket app through the link you provided which is similar to YRT Pay app which uses the same platform. Seeing the comparison between the Presto fare (ticket/card) at $3.25 versus paying $4 cash fare for DRT. Difference is YRT has a different company who maintains the platform where as Metrolinx maintains the Presto E-Ticket platform. 

Metrolinx is definitely looking to monetize on the mobile especially not everyone wants to pay $6 for a card to save 75 cents versus paying cash. 

Coinciding with new Presto devices that are able to read barcodes. 

• Like 1

Durham Region posted the Agenda for the September 9th TEC meeting,

while there was no notable information regarding the service changes, there was quite a bit of news regarding the ICIP projects.

7/14 have received provincial and federal approval, and another 5/14 have received provincial approval and are awaiting federal approval.

the 7 projects are

Simcoe Street rapid transit corridor 

Includes funding to operate route 901 PULSE Simcoe, purchase 8 growth 40’ PULSE Buses and do an environmental assessment and other planning work to construct BRT Features like bus lanes and transit signal priority.

13 replacement 40’ DRT PULSE Buses

Ordered using the Metrolinx Transit Procurement Initiative, these 13 buses will be ordered over the next 2.5 years to allow conversion of XD40’s with high mileage, to local services. These buses will begin to be ordered shortly after the meeting on Wednesday.

2 Growth 60’ DRT PULSE Buses

Ordered using the metrolinx transit procurement initiative, these 2 buses will be ordered in 2020 with arrival in 2021 to allow additional capacity on the 900 Highway 2 route.

11 Replacement 40’ Conventional Hybrid Buses

Ordered using the metrolinx transit procurement initiative, these 11 buses will be ordered in 2020 with delivery in 2021 and will be the first hybrid electric buses in the DRT Fleet, these buses will be based out of Westney Division.

16 Promaster vans for OnDemand and Specialized Services

These won’t be here until 2023, though we could use them sooner for the expansion of OnDemand happening sometime soon.

Permanent Driver Shields

Replace the Bio Barriers with a more permanent solution.

Destination Signs upgrade

Replace all Luminator Horizon signs on all buses purchases past 2011 with Luminator Horizon SMT signs like found on all new DRT Buses.

Im not too sure what other 5 projects are still awaiting federal approval, and what projects art still awaiting both provincial and federal approval.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, senzation#3 said:

Just earlier today, I saw bus stops being installed on Britannia Ave from Bridle Rd to Ritson Rd. I've checked the announcements and nothing is there. Will there be a service change later this week?

Not this week,

the next most likely service change date will be Monday the 28th, that’s when then next board period begins. Typically the October board wouldn’t start for two weeks later than that, which makes me think service changes.

Can confirm, the service change date is Monday, September 28th, 2020. 

The announcement regarding this change will be made on Monday.

I am curious what exactly it will entail... Bill Holmes mentioned during the September 9th TEC meeting that it will be the Phase A service restructuring. 
Thats whatever, but Phase A was supposed to go into service (internally) on Monday, August 10th, then got pushed to Monday, August 24.
Now, entering service on the 28th of September, surely ridership is higher than what it was in early August. 

Attached is the diagram that shows details of each stage again and what exactly triggers each stage.

I think we should now at least be entering stage B, based on the ridership recovery I've notice in the past few weeks.

392354975_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_22_10PM.thumb.png.ef0ee6815bdf517a59aecbf49a6d6d73.png1512120806_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_22_34PM.thumb.png.34d1d9c5c5c2a9dfd52894ce542af539.png379153763_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_23_09PM.thumb.png.d0c4f493c3aec19205384e7880ca3d4a.png1686853640_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_25_31PM.thumb.png.fb2c02f0620cac69c0a89d1dd02abdac.png1260662346_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_26_28PM.thumb.png.36f8014dc449c4cc23df9500e5e241af.png1723954832_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_25_01PM.thumb.png.641448865a4fbf969abdd78c17913ae5.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Can confirm, the service change date is Monday, September 28th, 2020. 

The announcement regarding this change will be made on Monday.

I am curious what exactly it will entail... Bill Holmes mentioned during the September 9th TEC meeting that it will be the Phase A service restructuring. 
Thats whatever, but Phase A was supposed to go into service (internally) on Monday, August 10th, then got pushed to Monday, August 24.
Now, entering service on the 28th of September, surely ridership is higher than what it was in early August. 

Attached is the diagram that shows details of each stage again and what exactly triggers each stage.

I think we should now at least be entering stage B, based on the ridership recovery I've notice in the past few weeks.

392354975_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_22_10PM.thumb.png.ef0ee6815bdf517a59aecbf49a6d6d73.png1512120806_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_22_34PM.thumb.png.34d1d9c5c5c2a9dfd52894ce542af539.png379153763_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_23_09PM.thumb.png.d0c4f493c3aec19205384e7880ca3d4a.png1686853640_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_25_31PM.thumb.png.fb2c02f0620cac69c0a89d1dd02abdac.png1260662346_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_26_28PM.thumb.png.36f8014dc449c4cc23df9500e5e241af.png1723954832_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_25_01PM.thumb.png.641448865a4fbf969abdd78c17913ae5.png

I see they learned nothing from the backlash they got. There's no way this plan will work.

• Like 2

I see they learned nothing from the backlash they got. There's no way this plan will work.

I agree, I think it will be a disaster with the service change especially in september when there's students using transit. If I was a transit planner doing a ridership recovery the first thing I would do is:

1. Restore regular service levels especially the 417 (except for rush hour routes)

2. The 917 should run from DC/Ontario Tech to Pickering Pkwy Terminal via Oshawa Centre/Whitby Stn/Ajax Stn

3. 902 should have run 15 min headway from Oshawa GO to Bowmanville then 30 min headway to Newcastle

4. Extend the 900 to STC on 15 min headways then 7.5 min headways between Downtown Oshawa to Pickering Pkwy Terminal

5. Routes 405, 407, 410, 916 and 915 should run on 15 min headways

6. Scrap GO bus route 81 and replace with 302A that goes to Beaverton and runs every 2 hrs.

7. Expand service Route 603 to every 2 hrs from Pickering Pkwy Terminal to Uxbridge with extra trips to Port Perry during rush hrs

8. Routes 120, 216, 224, 302, 917 and 905 should run a grid system on 20 min headways

9. Introduce Pulse on Simcoe (902). When School fully opens, 5 min headways (peak), 7.5 (middays), 10 min (weekday evenings and weekends)

10. Introduce to urban on-demand during night times especially overnights (Operating hrs varies when regular bus routes are finished their hrs)

11. When post-secondary schools reopen: extend the u-pass to August 31

Edited by senzation#3
42 minutes ago, senzation#3 said:

I agree, I think it will be a disaster with the service change especially in september when there's students using transit. If I was a transit planner doing a ridership recovery the first thing I would do is:

1. Restore regular service levels especially the 417 (except for rush hour routes)

2. The 917 should run from DC/Ontario Tech to Pickering Pkwy Terminal via Oshawa Centre/Whitby Stn/Ajax Stn

3. 902 should have run 15 min headway from Oshawa GO to Bowmanville then 30 min headway to Newcastle

4. Extend the 900 to STC on 15 min headways then 7.5 min headways between Downtown Oshawa to Pickering Pkwy Terminal

6. Scrap GO bus route 81 and replace with 302A that goes to Beaverton and runs every 2 hrs.

7. Expand service Route 603 to every 2 hrs from Pickering Pkwy Terminal to Uxbridge with extra trips to Port Perry during rush hrs

8. Routes 120, 216, 224, 302, 917 and 905 should run a grid system on 20 min headways

I like everything in your opinion here, except that PPT has little space beyond an area of 3 buses laying over at a time. Staggered scheduling with multiple routes could be a temporary solution unless Pickering Town Centre would allow for a terminal built on their property close by Pickering Parkway.

DRT should go into Phase C rather than to be insistent of ridership killing On Demand. However Phase C still doesn't bring everything back. 

The 910 had been planned to to go to Ajax Station via Bayly and Whitby Station. Though Iirc, it was for rush hours only as the off peak trips were to go as far as Whirby Sration.

Edited by newflyerinvero
Additional information to add.
On 9/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, senzation#3 said:

9. Introduce Pulse on Simcoe (902). When School fully opens, 5 min headways (peak), 7.5 (middays), 10 min (weekday evenings and weekends)

10. Introduce to urban on-demand during night times especially overnights (Operating hrs varies when regular bus routes are finished their hrs)

11. When post-secondary schools reopen: extend the u-pass to August 31

The 917 doesn't necessarily need to serve Ajax GO Station. I think that little jaunt will create delays through the Ajax stretch, affecting whitby and Oshawa customers. Service from Pickering to Whitby GO via Bayly and Victoria is sufficient, and if customers still demand a westbound connection to Pickering from Ajax GO...add a branch 917A Ajax GO to PP Term.