Jump to content

Durham Region Transit


DRT
 Share

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

It doesn’t matter quite yet anyway... 

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/Modules/News/index.aspx?feedId=f3f5ff28-b7b8-45ab-8d28-fdf53f51d6bf&newsId=4bdda56c-0322-4fec-95e5-fe740d6c3088

The same service levels will be in place until at least the September board begins on September 7th.

There are no words for how incompetent this is.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2020 at 4:09 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

It doesn’t matter quite yet anyway... 

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/Modules/News/index.aspx?feedId=f3f5ff28-b7b8-45ab-8d28-fdf53f51d6bf&newsId=4bdda56c-0322-4fec-95e5-fe740d6c3088

The same service levels will be in place until at least the September board begins on September 7th.

I love the lie of "Unexpected deployment issues". They can spin it all they want but this was never going to work. This is a desperate attempt to save face after they were lambasted on social media for cutting 2/3 of the route network and replacing them with ProMaster vans with DRT logos on them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2020 at 4:09 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

It doesn’t matter quite yet anyway... 

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/Modules/News/index.aspx?feedId=f3f5ff28-b7b8-45ab-8d28-fdf53f51d6bf&newsId=4bdda56c-0322-4fec-95e5-fe740d6c3088

The same service levels will be in place until at least the September board begins on September 7th.

 

On 8/21/2020 at 4:38 PM, DavidH said:

There are no words for how incompetent this is.

 

1 hour ago, Chris W said:

I love the lie of "Unexpected deployment issues". They can spin it all they want but this was never going to work. This is a desperate attempt to save face after they were lambasted on social media for cutting 2/3 of the route network and replacing them with ProMaster vans with DRT logos on them.

It says on the website that it’s now been postponed until further notice, so it might be canceled all together or delayed beyond the September board 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chris W said:

I love the lie of "Unexpected deployment issues". They can spin it all they want but this was never going to work. This is a desperate attempt to save face after they were lambasted on social media for cutting 2/3 of the route network and replacing them with ProMaster vans with DRT logos on them.

To be fair, they never mentioned what type of vehicle they were going to use. Could have been full-sized buses in some areas, like they used on the late night shuttles. They also have five ProMaster vans. Not sure if that’s enough to adequately cover everything.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

As per the August 29th GTFS Data feed update, the 902 will start service on September 8th, all other changes are still postponed.

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/routes-and-schedules/resources/September-8/902-King-September-8.pdf
 

schedule was just posted,  interesting that all eastbound trips go to Bowmanville but no westbound trips go to the Oshawa GO, only the Oshawa Centre, curious if GO will still choose not to reduce the service after all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ICAMI (In case anyone missed it): PRESTO E-tickets are now available for Durham Region Transit. The only problem is - you have to download the app to take advantage of it. The app is called the "PRESTO E-Ticket app".

While it sucks that there isn't an option available for the Access Pass (those who are on ODSP or OW (Ontario Disability Support Program and Ontario Works respectively) are eligible for the Access Pass - providing if the recipients show proof) to be purchased on the PRESTO E-ticket app.

Source: https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/fares-and-passes/presto.aspx

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2020 at 10:43 PM, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

ICAMI (In case anyone missed it): PRESTO E-tickets are now available for Durham Region Transit. The only problem is - you have to download the app to take advantage of it. The app is called the "PRESTO E-Ticket app".

While it sucks that there isn't an option available for the Access Pass (those who are on ODSP or OW (Ontario Disability Support Program and Ontario Works respectively) are eligible for the Access Pass - providing if the recipients show proof) to be purchased on the PRESTO E-ticket app.

Source: https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/fares-and-passes/presto.aspx

Just reading about the Presto E-Ticket app through the link you provided which is similar to YRT Pay app which uses the same platform. Seeing the comparison between the Presto fare (ticket/card) at $3.25 versus paying $4 cash fare for DRT. Difference is YRT has a different company who maintains the platform where as Metrolinx maintains the Presto E-Ticket platform. 

Metrolinx is definitely looking to monetize on the mobile especially not everyone wants to pay $6 for a card to save 75 cents versus paying cash. 

Coinciding with new Presto devices that are able to read barcodes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Durham Region posted the Agenda for the September 9th TEC meeting,

while there was no notable information regarding the service changes, there was quite a bit of news regarding the ICIP projects.

7/14 have received provincial and federal approval, and another 5/14 have received provincial approval and are awaiting federal approval.

the 7 projects are

Simcoe Street rapid transit corridor 

Includes funding to operate route 901 PULSE Simcoe, purchase 8 growth 40’ PULSE Buses and do an environmental assessment and other planning work to construct BRT Features like bus lanes and transit signal priority.

13 replacement 40’ DRT PULSE Buses

Ordered using the Metrolinx Transit Procurement Initiative, these 13 buses will be ordered over the next 2.5 years to allow conversion of XD40’s with high mileage, to local services. These buses will begin to be ordered shortly after the meeting on Wednesday.

2 Growth 60’ DRT PULSE Buses

Ordered using the metrolinx transit procurement initiative, these 2 buses will be ordered in 2020 with arrival in 2021 to allow additional capacity on the 900 Highway 2 route.

11 Replacement 40’ Conventional Hybrid Buses

Ordered using the metrolinx transit procurement initiative, these 11 buses will be ordered in 2020 with delivery in 2021 and will be the first hybrid electric buses in the DRT Fleet, these buses will be based out of Westney Division.

16 Promaster vans for OnDemand and Specialized Services

These won’t be here until 2023, though we could use them sooner for the expansion of OnDemand happening sometime soon.

Permanent Driver Shields

Replace the Bio Barriers with a more permanent solution.

Destination Signs upgrade

Replace all Luminator Horizon signs on all buses purchases past 2011 with Luminator Horizon SMT signs like found on all new DRT Buses.

Im not too sure what other 5 projects are still awaiting federal approval, and what projects art still awaiting both provincial and federal approval.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, senzation#3 said:

Just earlier today, I saw bus stops being installed on Britannia Ave from Bridle Rd to Ritson Rd. I've checked the announcements and nothing is there. Will there be a service change later this week?

Not this week,

the next most likely service change date will be Monday the 28th, that’s when then next board period begins. Typically the October board wouldn’t start for two weeks later than that, which makes me think service changes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can confirm, the service change date is Monday, September 28th, 2020. 

The announcement regarding this change will be made on Monday.

I am curious what exactly it will entail... Bill Holmes mentioned during the September 9th TEC meeting that it will be the Phase A service restructuring. 
Thats whatever, but Phase A was supposed to go into service (internally) on Monday, August 10th, then got pushed to Monday, August 24.
Now, entering service on the 28th of September, surely ridership is higher than what it was in early August. 

Attached is the diagram that shows details of each stage again and what exactly triggers each stage.

I think we should now at least be entering stage B, based on the ridership recovery I've notice in the past few weeks.

392354975_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_22_10PM.thumb.png.ef0ee6815bdf517a59aecbf49a6d6d73.png1512120806_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_22_34PM.thumb.png.34d1d9c5c5c2a9dfd52894ce542af539.png379153763_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_23_09PM.thumb.png.d0c4f493c3aec19205384e7880ca3d4a.png1686853640_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_25_31PM.thumb.png.fb2c02f0620cac69c0a89d1dd02abdac.png1260662346_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_26_28PM.thumb.png.36f8014dc449c4cc23df9500e5e241af.png1723954832_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_25_01PM.thumb.png.641448865a4fbf969abdd78c17913ae5.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Can confirm, the service change date is Monday, September 28th, 2020. 

The announcement regarding this change will be made on Monday.

I am curious what exactly it will entail... Bill Holmes mentioned during the September 9th TEC meeting that it will be the Phase A service restructuring. 
Thats whatever, but Phase A was supposed to go into service (internally) on Monday, August 10th, then got pushed to Monday, August 24.
Now, entering service on the 28th of September, surely ridership is higher than what it was in early August. 

Attached is the diagram that shows details of each stage again and what exactly triggers each stage.

I think we should now at least be entering stage B, based on the ridership recovery I've notice in the past few weeks.

392354975_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_22_10PM.thumb.png.ef0ee6815bdf517a59aecbf49a6d6d73.png1512120806_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_22_34PM.thumb.png.34d1d9c5c5c2a9dfd52894ce542af539.png379153763_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_23_09PM.thumb.png.d0c4f493c3aec19205384e7880ca3d4a.png1686853640_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_25_31PM.thumb.png.fb2c02f0620cac69c0a89d1dd02abdac.png1260662346_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_26_28PM.thumb.png.36f8014dc449c4cc23df9500e5e241af.png1723954832_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_25_01PM.thumb.png.641448865a4fbf969abdd78c17913ae5.png

I see they learned nothing from the backlash they got. There's no way this plan will work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chris W said:

I see they learned nothing from the backlash they got. There's no way this plan will work.

I agree, I think it will be a disaster with the service change especially in september when there's students using transit. If I was a transit planner doing a ridership recovery the first thing I would do is:

1. Restore regular service levels especially the 417 (except for rush hour routes)

2. The 917 should run from DC/Ontario Tech to Pickering Pkwy Terminal via Oshawa Centre/Whitby Stn/Ajax Stn

3. 902 should have run 15 min headway from Oshawa GO to Bowmanville then 30 min headway to Newcastle

4. Extend the 900 to STC on 15 min headways then 7.5 min headways between Downtown Oshawa to Pickering Pkwy Terminal

5. Routes 405, 407, 410, 916 and 915 should run on 15 min headways

6. Scrap GO bus route 81 and replace with 302A that goes to Beaverton and runs every 2 hrs.

7. Expand service Route 603 to every 2 hrs from Pickering Pkwy Terminal to Uxbridge with extra trips to Port Perry during rush hrs

8. Routes 120, 216, 224, 302, 917 and 905 should run a grid system on 20 min headways

9. Introduce Pulse on Simcoe (902). When School fully opens, 5 min headways (peak), 7.5 (middays), 10 min (weekday evenings and weekends)

10. Introduce to urban on-demand during night times especially overnights (Operating hrs varies when regular bus routes are finished their hrs)

11. When post-secondary schools reopen: extend the u-pass to August 31

Edited by senzation#3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, senzation#3 said:

I agree, I think it will be a disaster with the service change especially in september when there's students using transit. If I was a transit planner doing a ridership recovery the first thing I would do is:

1. Restore regular service levels especially the 417 (except for rush hour routes)

2. The 917 should run from DC/Ontario Tech to Pickering Pkwy Terminal via Oshawa Centre/Whitby Stn/Ajax Stn

3. 902 should have run 15 min headway from Oshawa GO to Bowmanville then 30 min headway to Newcastle

4. Extend the 900 to STC on 15 min headways then 7.5 min headways between Downtown Oshawa to Pickering Pkwy Terminal

5. Routes 405, 407, 410, 916 and 915 should run on 15 min headways

6. Scrap GO bus route 81 and replace with 302A that goes to Beaverton and runs every 2 hrs.

7. Expand service Route 603 to every 2 hrs from Pickering Pkwy Terminal to Uxbridge with extra trips to Port Perry during rush hrs

8. Routes 120, 216, 224, 302, 917 and 905 should run a grid system on 20 min headways

I like everything in your opinion here, except that PPT has little space beyond an area of 3 buses laying over at a time. Staggered scheduling with multiple routes could be a temporary solution unless Pickering Town Centre would allow for a terminal built on their property close by Pickering Parkway.

DRT should go into Phase C rather than to be insistent of ridership killing On Demand. However Phase C still doesn't bring everything back. 

The 910 had been planned to to go to Ajax Station via Bayly and Whitby Station. Though Iirc, it was for rush hours only as the off peak trips were to go as far as Whirby Sration.

Edited by newflyerinvero
Additional information to add.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, senzation#3 said:

I agree, I think it will be a disaster with the service change especially in september when there's students using transit. If I was a transit planner doing a ridership recovery the first thing I would do is:

1. Restore regular service levels especially the 417 (except for rush hour routes)

2. The 917 should run from DC/Ontario Tech to Pickering Pkwy Terminal via Oshawa Centre/Whitby Stn/Ajax Stn

3. 902 should have run 15 min headway from Oshawa GO to Bowmanville then 30 min headway to Newcastle

4. Extend the 900 to STC on 15 min headways then 7.5 min headways between Downtown Oshawa to Pickering Pkwy Terminal

5. Routes 405, 407, 410, 916 and 915 should run on 15 min headways

6. Scrap GO bus route 81 and replace with 302A that goes to Beaverton and runs every 2 hrs.

7. Expand service Route 603 to every 2 hrs from Pickering Pkwy Terminal to Uxbridge with extra trips to Port Perry during rush hrs

8. Routes 120, 216, 224, 302, 917 and 905 should run a grid system on 20 min headways

9. Introduce Pulse on Simcoe (902). When School fully opens, 5 min headways (peak), 7.5 (middays), 10 min (weekday evenings and weekends)

10. Introduce to urban on-demand during night times especially overnights (Operating hrs varies when regular bus routes are finished their hrs)

11. When post-secondary schools reopen: extend the u-pass to August 31

The 917 doesn't necessarily need to serve Ajax GO Station. I think that little jaunt will create delays through the Ajax stretch, affecting whitby and Oshawa customers. Service from Pickering to Whitby GO via Bayly and Victoria is sufficient, and if customers still demand a westbound connection to Pickering from Ajax GO...add a branch 917A Ajax GO to PP Term. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2020 at 11:37 AM, John Oke said:

Does anyone know when the arctics are entering service?

only for rush hours at the moment

On 9/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, senzation#3 said:

I agree, I think it will be a disaster with the service change especially in september when there's students using transit. If I was a transit planner doing a ridership recovery the first thing I would do is:

1. Restore regular service levels especially the 417 (except for rush hour routes)

2. The 917 should run from DC/Ontario Tech to Pickering Pkwy Terminal via Oshawa Centre/Whitby Stn/Ajax Stn

3. 902 should have run 15 min headway from Oshawa GO to Bowmanville then 30 min headway to Newcastle

4. Extend the 900 to STC on 15 min headways then 7.5 min headways between Downtown Oshawa to Pickering Pkwy Terminal

5. Routes 405, 407, 410, 916 and 915 should run on 15 min headways

6. Scrap GO bus route 81 and replace with 302A that goes to Beaverton and runs every 2 hrs.

7. Expand service Route 603 to every 2 hrs from Pickering Pkwy Terminal to Uxbridge with extra trips to Port Perry during rush hrs

8. Routes 120, 216, 224, 302, 917 and 905 should run a grid system on 20 min headways

9. Introduce Pulse on Simcoe (902). When School fully opens, 5 min headways (peak), 7.5 (middays), 10 min (weekday evenings and weekends)

10. Introduce to urban on-demand during night times especially overnights (Operating hrs varies when regular bus routes are finished their hrs)

11. When post-secondary schools reopen: extend the u-pass to August 31

Pulse Simcoe is going to be numbered as the 901 Pulse-Simcoe. 902 is already taken with the new 902 King route (which I heard from @110B West Pickeringwas supposed to replace the 402 King). However currently both are running with the 902 running with Pulse buses mixed in.

The 910 was supposed to be cancelled. Frankly I agree that either extend the 917 to Ontario Tech or merge the proposed 917 with the 910 together. Provides more ridership once life gets back to normal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

only for rush hours at the moment

Pulse Simcoe is going to be numbered as the 901 Pulse-Simcoe. 902 is already taken with the new 902 King route (which I heard from @110B West Pickeringwas supposed to replace the 402 King). However currently both are running with the 902 running with Pulse buses mixed in.

The 910 was supposed to be cancelled. Frankly I agree that either extend the 917 to Ontario Tech or merge the proposed 917 with the 910 together. Provides more ridership once life gets back to normal.

Artics are able to be found in service anytime Monday-Saturday, they aren’t restricted.

The 902 King was supposed to be introduced on August 24th along with the rest of the phase a changes, but it was delayed until September 8th, because this was after the start of the traditional board period, they kept the 402 around to maintain interlines with route 412 at Courtice Road.

they staggered the departures of the 902 to be roughly 15 minutes after the 402 to provide headway of 15 minutes between the OC and Courtice Road.

Come the September 28th Service changes being announced tomorrow, the 402 will be discontinued like planned for august 24th.

Service will operate as follows on route 902,

902A will run every half an hour between Oshawa GO Station and King Street/Simpson Avenue in Bowmanville via the OC.

902B will run every half hour between the Oshawa Centre and Trulls Road.

combined having a 15 minute frequency on the main stretch between the OC and Trulls.

As for the 910, I think the portion of the route North of the OC is to be added to the 917 once ridership has returned enough to provide the service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Artics are able to be found in service anytime Monday-Saturday, they aren’t restricted.

The 902 King was supposed to be introduced on August 24th along with the rest of the phase a changes, but it was delayed until September 8th, because this was after the start of the traditional board period, they kept the 402 around to maintain interlines with route 412 at Courtice Road.

they staggered the departures of the 902 to be roughly 15 minutes after the 402 to provide headway of 15 minutes between the OC and Courtice Road.

Come the September 28th Service changes being announced tomorrow, the 402 will be discontinued like planned for august 24th.

Service will operate as follows on route 902,

902A will run every half an hour between Oshawa GO Station and King Street/Simpson Avenue in Bowmanville via the OC.

902B will run every half hour between the Oshawa Centre and Trulls Road.

combined having a 15 minute frequency on the main stretch between the OC and Trulls.

As for the 910, I think the portion of the route North of the OC is to be added to the 917 once ridership has returned enough to provide the service.

so what about the Pulse units on the 902...is it the same story of having Surpluses around?

and what about the 901 Pulse Simcoe? Is that coming soon?

On 8/11/2020 at 3:02 PM, John Oke said:

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/about-us/our-services.aspx?_mid_=28171

 

I can't tell with this if routes like 303, 304, 312, 215, 224, 193, 411, 408, 409 etc will be permanently canceled or come back at a later date, all I can say is everywhere but Oshawa has been F*cked over by this.

they screwed Pickering really hard...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are the service changes staring on Sept 21st. This is Phase A, same as usual with a slight revision of the 902. These politicians are really out of touch with the people especially the students.

Schedules: https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/routes-and-schedules/resources/Sept.-28---2020/Combined.pdf

System Map:  https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/routes-and-schedules/resources/Sept.-28---2020/System-map/PleaseUse_DRTMap_September-2020---20200908_WithRevised902.pdf

 

Edited by senzation#3
wrong date
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...