Durham Region Transit

2 hours ago, Jan Boic said:

Jordan, that bus is ex-Mississauga Transit #0337. Owned by MBTC of Mississauga. They purchased a few of these 03s and this one is the only repainted unit so far that I know about, which operated in Stratford for a short while. 

I just got an update that there should be 4 leased buses. The reason for the leased buses is the region is having major issues with the Whitby contractor. At the moment, they have quite a number of buses out of service they haven’t been able to fix. As a result they have “borrowed” half dozen or more buses from Oshawa, and Oshawa has been using Pulse buses daily on local routes. 

This information is from a reliable source/friend. 

Thanks for the confirmation of the fleet number

tomorrow at some point I’m going to try and get out to find the other units if they’re in service yet.

I assume that my friend is the same one you’re referring to whom told me the same information.

This major situation has been ongoing so se December 23rd Christmas week. Today there were three PULSE units on conventional routes, and 8553 was on the 900.  Also, Raleigh has temporarily taken over full operation of weekday 910 trips, where typically they only supplement in peak periods when frequencies are every 15 minutes.  Coach Canada was bad, but PWT has run the buses into the ground as they have no proper place to maintain the vehicles.  Typically at Whitby GO, there’s 4 buses laying over in the loop as 2 spares and two on layover before next routes. Lately, none. They’re all needed to provide service at these unfortunate reduced levels. And there’s no conventional buses coming until at the earliest late this year, being the 11 conventional hybrids.

theres also 9100-9105 and 9106-9107 coming in May and December

7104-7111 are coming late this year as well. But these are the 40’ and 60’ PULSE Buses.

So far I’ve seen one and I know there’s more there are a few Raleigh XD40’s in Whitby for example here’s 8517 on the 303 about a week and a half ago it’s a Raleigh bus on a Whitby route

3BC823C6-5B0D-4A86-8639-F715D9F90744.jpeg

As well a completely valid reason with some 302 trips being canceled is sewer replacement on Brock between Taunton and Rossland which has lead to traffic lanes being shifted to accommodate construction 

10 minutes ago, John Oke said:

So far I’ve seen one and I know there’s more there are a few Raleigh XD40’s in Whitby for example here’s 8517 on the 303 about a week and a half ago it’s a Raleigh bus on a Whitby route

As well a completely valid reason with some 302 trips being canceled is sewer replacement on Brock between Taunton and Rossland which has lead to traffic lanes being shifted to accommodate construction 

Lots of vehicles have been moved to Whitby.

The construction you refer to has been ongoing long before this issue, and is actually not sewer replacement alone, it’s also to widen Brock to four lanes.

The cancelled trips are directly because of the fleet shortage.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

Just saw 8575 out at Ontario Tech. The tracker is busted on the bus! I also saw 8577 too...

IMG_20200224_082603_591.jpg

On 2/3/2020 at 10:54 PM, John Oke said:

8517, 8518, 8408 and 8579 as far as I know are currently at Whitby supplementing their shortage. However 8408 and 8517 bounced back on Raleigh routes one or two weeks ago!

I haven't seen 8580 out. Last seen Dec 20. Does anybody know anything about that unit

• Like 1

8406 on the 401B wrapped in a ad promoting AGMBasements.com

IMG_20200224_141046_452.jpg

On 2/3/2020 at 10:54 PM, John Oke said:

Another shot of 8517, however on the 950 to Uxbridge

IMG_20200224_142425_028.jpg

• Like 1

Sitting at the back of a 304 bus yesterday. Overheard a conversation between the driver and another passenger and the driver was saying something about the Region threatening to terminate PW’s contract with DRT they where also talking about the bus shortage and about how bus service in Whitby is becoming unreliable as well something to do with maintenance schedules of the buses 

On 2/29/2020 at 3:15 PM, John Oke said:

Sitting at the back of a 304 bus yesterday. Overheard a conversation between the driver and another passenger and the driver was saying something about the Region threatening to terminate PW’s contract with DRT they where also talking about the bus shortage and about how bus service in Whitby is becoming unreliable as well something to do with maintenance schedules of the buses 

[[DELETED]]

I can however share that since the leases came in, PW has been able to consistently meet peak hour capacity at the reduced schedules since February 4th with minimal error.

full schedules on the 302 and 305 is anticipated to resume on March 21st.

Also of note, DRT is certainly cutting a lot of Whitby’s service hours with little return.

this year multiple Whitby operated routes are either switching divisions or are being replaced.

922 is cut

910 is moved to Westney

960 is cut

601 is cut

sunday service decreases on the 303,304 and 308

and, 302 ends an hour earlier each night.

These are lots of services that will have no return of service hours to Whitby division anywhere else presumably.

• Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

I’m not publicly allowed to discuss internal discussion regarding PWT and their contract with Durham Transit

I can however share that since the leases came in, PW has been able to consistently meet peak hour capacity at the reduced schedules since February 4th with minimal error.

full schedules on the 302 and 305 is anticipated to resume on March 21st.

How long more until all the buses are fixed and the leases are no longer needed?

1 hour ago, John Oke said:

For some reason I saw 8616 a PULSE XD-40 deadheading along Taunton NIS between Anderson and Garden this morning couldn’t grab a photo of it tho

It was on the 916 earlier this morning, must've either finished or heading to start that route.

image.thumb.png.5f8363eac36ec357f4b7f07688699883.png

• 2 weeks later...

ICAHMI: The service changes that DRT is going to implement on April 6th, 2020 - has been postponed indefintely due to the health crisis.

In addition, there will be several service reductions for the same reason:

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/Modules/News/index.aspx?feedId=fcda21e8-a0d7-4bbe-9955-c4e9163cc1fd&newsId=9b2ed9c1-3c8d-4117-8cb8-dd0359e9f6e6

ICAHMI = in case anyone had missed it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1