Jump to content

Durham Region Transit


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

They wouldn't be allowed to go cashless. I'm pretty sure that would affect the AODA rules in a way.

I can't see how AODA would have any bearing whatsoever on whether a system can or can't take cash.

 

10 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I'm hoping that DRT could go cashless in the future or maybe offer provisions for people to pay with cash.

Why in the world would you want DRT to go cashless? That would be akin to making it harder for people to take transit, which is exactly the wrong tact to take.

 

10 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I'm hoping that DRT could consider upgrading their fareboxes with the ones (made by a company called "Scheidt & Bachmann") found on GRT (Grand River Transit).

S&B provides the faregates as used in Toronto and Ottawa, and I believe that they have also provided the Presto equipment used on the TTC surface fleet. Their reliability leaves something to be desired.

 

Dan

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, these photos are courtesy of Richard Oldfield

There we go.  

All, the above post sums it up nicely. Please post civilly here. We have a community of people all interested in a common topic, and we don't need any more negative or useless posts. Consider yourselv

Posted Images

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

I can't see how AODA would have any bearing whatsoever on whether a system can or can't take cash.

 

Why in the world would you want DRT to go cashless? That would be akin to making it harder for people to take transit, which is exactly the wrong tact to take.

 

Dan

That wasn't my intention to say that DRT should go cashless but what I meant is that I hope that DRT will continue to accept cash.

 

Still with DRT, I heard that DRT is now offering a provision for clients who are on ODSP/OW (Ontario Disability Support Program and Ontario Works) to have their PRESTO Card reprogrammed for the Transit Assistance Program (or something like that).

 

Posted from my Galaxy S9

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 9:54 AM, 43 Kennedy said:

This is interesting. DRT has a new Holiday bus similar to YRT/VIVA's.

The bus is # 6113, a new 2019 Nova Bus LFS that has yet to enter service.

It won’t enter regular service according to DRT until after its unwrapped

In other news

I attended my first ever Transit Advisory Committee after being appointed a position as a member at large.

with the $237million coming soon that I mentioned a few weeks ago, the 2020-2023 plan now looks like this. (There will be more in terms of conventional over the next few years, will know more in the budget process)

11 2020 Conventional Replacement Hybrids

2 2021 PULSE Growth Articulated

8 2021 PULSE Growth 40 footers

13 2020-2022 PULSE Replacement 40’

16 Promasters

 

in a report from last week for the Committee of the Whole, Region of Durham anticipated to get 19.5 Million in gas tax funding for 2020, allocating 10.1 million to DRT.

5957024f-fdd4-4574-9ba9-aaff00989725https://calendar.durham.ca/meetings/Detail/2019-11-13-0930-Committee-of-the-Whole-Meeting/5957024f-fdd4-4574-9ba9-aaff00989725

this money will be used to purchase 8 electric buses and four chargers at Raleigh garage, these will be procured in 2020, and enter service in 2021, replacing 8 conventional buses

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 8:27 AM, John Oke said:

Saw two D40LFS yesterday Don’t remember the numbers one on the 915 and the other on the 304 which both seemed to have new more bold numbers on the front in front of the main doors

They are the new decals used for fleet numbers when the old ones peel off. Various D40LF units have them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

51xx is the series for new Promaster Vehicles, DRT posted a photo on their social channels showing 5100, 5101 and 5102 at Westney division. I believe there is 16 coming.

I’ve seen nothin on Instagram or Twitter

Link to post
Share on other sites

ICAMI (In case anyone missed it), Durham Region Transit (DRT) will be running a reduced schedule (which is uncommon) on the week of December 23rd to 27th (with a special schedule on certain bus routes on the 25th of December):

Monday, Dec. 23 – Saturday schedule
Tuesday, Dec. 24 – Saturday schedule
Wednesday, Dec. 25 – Special schedule (for certain bus routes)
Thursday, Dec. 26 – Sunday schedule
Friday, Dec. 27 – Saturday schedule

I would imagine if someone got used to the regular schedule - not knowing that their route doesn't operate on those dates! For me on the other hand - I'll be working from home on those days (other than the 25th and 26th of December).

Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason on Transsee only the 900 and 915 are tracking I’m assuming it has to do with limited service on some routes with today being Christmas 

 

52CC1225-91A1-4C23-B54C-20286F62F4C6.png
 

UPDATE: It’s working again for all routes as of 8:56 pm

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John Oke said:

For some reason on Transsee only the 900 and 915 are tracking I’m assuming it has to do with limited service on some routes with today being Christmas 

 

52CC1225-91A1-4C23-B54C-20286F62F4C6.png
 

UPDATE: It’s working again for all routes as of 8:56 pm

Don't forget that some of the routes are on a Saturday schedule for this Friday - meaning that some of the routes that normally operate on a weekday may either have hours reduced or won't run at all.

 

This is only temporary (for this week) and service will be resumed regularly next week (December 30th and 31st (with special service that day after 7pm) and after new years day).

Some passengers are not pleased with the sudden change for this week (they have to work) and as a last resort, they have to drive to the GO station or even take an Uber/Lyft to it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of service changes proposed for 2020. Overall an impressive slate covering the region: 

  • 101, 112: Extended to Pickering Parkway Terminal
  • 103, 232: Reduced to peak only service
  • 107: Replaced by On-Demand service
  • 110: Extended to Rouge Hill Station
  • 111: Cancelled, with sections along Fieldlight Dr replaced by route 112
  • 112: Extended in peak periods to Tauton (I'm assuming over to Burkholder Dr)
  • 217, 219, 223: Saturday service in Ajax reduced to every 60 minutes
  • 226: Cancelled, replaced with 291 community bus service
  • 304: Modified to service Windfield Farms
  • 312: Modified to operate along Garden between Tauton and Dundas
  • 315: New route in Whitby to service new neighbourhoods beside Hwy 412, peak periods only
  • 401: Replaced by new 901 Pulse service in December 2020
  • 402: Replaced by new 902 service in September 2020
  • 409: Service after 9pm cancelled
  • 410, 411: Peak service extended to Oshawa Station
  • 410: Added to the High Frequency Network
  • 414: Cancelled
  • 422: Extended to Whitby Station to replace route 922 along this stretch
  • 501, 502: Saturday service reduced to every 60 minutes
  • 506: Replaced by On-Demand (657)
  • 601: Replaced by On-Demand (652)
  • 657: New On-Demand in Clarington, replacing 506
  • 900: Articulated buses will run along some trips Monday-Saturday
  • 902: New route replacing route 402 and GO route 90, running between Oshawa Station and West Bowmanville Mall
  • 910: Extended to Ajax Station along Bayly
  • 915: Won't operate to Durham College during the summer (June-September)
  • 922: Cancelled and replaced by modifications to route 422 and 411
  • 960: Replaced by on-demand service between Uxbridge and Mount Albert
  • New weekend route running between Ajax Station, Rouge National Park, and Toronto Zoo
  • New on-demand pilots in Whitby Shores and Seaton

More details: https://calendar.durham.ca/meetings/Detail/2020-01-08-1330-Transit-Executive-Committee-Meeting/a0942a89-d0c1-44ab-bf92-ab3600f1cfb9

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, big year coming for Durham Region Transit.

This is their 2020 service plan, not going to talk about bus purchases because they're all in the ICIP funding which I talked about earlier in this thread.

Starting with discontinued routes

Discontinued Routes

107, 111, 226, 401, 402, 414, 506, 601, 922, 960

Major Service Reductions

103, 217, 223, 225, 232, 302, 303, 304, 308, 409, 501, 502

Service Improvements

101 - Service extended to Pickering Parkway Terminal

110 - Peak service extended to Rouge Hill GO

112 - Routing modified to serve Pickering Parkway Terminal and the Fieldlight neighbourhood.

215 - Added AM Peak trips

223 - Sunday service west of Ajax Station improved to every 30 minutes.

291 - Service extended to Ajax Station and additional weekday peak and Sunday trips to make up for service lost on the 226 and 232

304 - All trips to Durham College

312 - Service to operate on Garden between Taunton and Dundas

403 - Added RAD bus to help with terrible service reliability

405 - Additional Trips

410 - Service in peak periods is extended to Oshawa GO to provide more options for people off the train. Service on Sunday improved to every 30 minutes and added to the High Frequency Network.

411 - Service in peak periods to operate via Oshawa GO (somehow) replacing the parts of the 922 in Courtice. I'm not sure if its also extended to Harmony Terminal but I doubt it.

422 - Service extended to Whitby GO along Victoria, Replacing that part of the 922 in Oshawa and Whitby.

910 - Service is (FINALLY) extended to Ajax Station via Victoria/Bayly.  This is why service on the 223 is reduced east of Ajax GO.  The route is also now operated by Westney Division.

915 - Additional trips added during the post secondary period (September to April).

200z - New seasonal route operating on weekend and holidays between May and October between Ajax Station, Rouge Park, and Toronto Zoo.

Service Growth

112 - Service extended into Seaton

304 - Modified to operate in Windfield Farms

315 - New weekday peak period route, serving the West Whitby new growth area.

417 - Service to operate on Britannia instead of Conlin between Simcoe and Ritson

902 - New route replacing the 402 and the One fare agreement on GO Transit route 90. Operating between Oshawa Station, Oshawa Centre Terminal, and Bowmanville (King and Sampson).  GO is apparently cancelled come September probably being replaced by the 91.

On Demand Expansion

107 - Service to be replaced by On Demand in April.

652 - Is replacing 601

655 - Uxbridge/Mount Albert replacing the 960, hopefully its going to be more than just a connection to YRT 58 and Mobility on Request Mount Albert.

657 - Clarington, replaced the 506 but also adds On Demand service to ALL areas of Rural Clarington and Durham Region as a whole.

Extra Stuff

Also in September the articulated buses (9100-9105) will enter service Monday - Saturday on the 900 replacing the run as directed PULSE buses from Westney and Richmond and Ontario but overall schedule remains the same.

In December the 401 Simcoe is going be directly replicated by route 901 PULSE Simcoe, the service will be identical but operated by 8 new PULSE Buses coming this year (7104-7111 presumably).

Then there's some "Innovations"

In June PWTransit will be providing a pilot service using an autonomous shuttle between Whitby GO and Port of Whitby, replacing that part of the 922.

In April, Metrolinx and DRT will launch a "Premium" OnDemand service for passengers travelling to and from Pickering GO to anywhere in Pickering, south of Taunton Road.  Not quite sure what makes it premium.

Overall, what a great year for DRT, super exited to see the 200z, 901 and 902, but sad to see all the service decreases, but you gotta fund the service somehow. 

Link to the report here: https://calendar.durham.ca/meetings/Detail/2020-01-08-1330-Transit-Executive-Committee-Meeting/a0942a89-d0c1-44ab-bf92-ab3600f1cfb9

Discuss.

 

22 minutes ago, BedardZ0754 said:

Lots of service changes proposed for 2020. Overall an impressive slate covering the region: 

  • 101, 112: Extended to Pickering Parkway Terminal
  • 103, 232: Reduced to peak only service
  • 107: Replaced by On-Demand service
  • 110: Extended to Rouge Hill Station
  • 111: Cancelled, with sections along Fieldlight Dr replaced by route 112
  • 112: Extended in peak periods to Tauton (I'm assuming over to Burkholder Dr)
  • 217, 219, 223: Saturday service in Ajax reduced to every 60 minutes
  • 226: Cancelled, replaced with 291 community bus service
  • 304: Modified to service Windfield Farms
  • 312: Modified to operate along Garden between Tauton and Dundas
  • 315: New route in Whitby to service new neighbourhoods beside Hwy 412, peak periods only
  • 401: Replaced by new 901 Pulse service in December 2020
  • 402: Replaced by new 902 service in September 2020
  • 409: Service after 9pm cancelled
  • 410, 411: Peak service extended to Oshawa Station
  • 410: Added to the High Frequency Network
  • 414: Cancelled
  • 422: Extended to Whitby Station to replace route 922 along this stretch
  • 501, 502: Saturday service reduced to every 60 minutes
  • 506: Replaced by On-Demand (657)
  • 601: Replaced by On-Demand (652)
  • 657: New On-Demand in Clarington, replacing 506
  • 900: Articulated buses will run along some trips Monday-Saturday
  • 902: New route replacing route 402 and GO route 90, running between Oshawa Station and West Bowmanville Mall
  • 910: Extended to Ajax Station along Bayly
  • 915: Won't operate to Durham College during the summer (June-September)
  • 922: Cancelled and replaced by modifications to route 422 and 411
  • 960: Replaced by on-demand service between Uxbridge and Mount Albert
  • New weekend route running between Ajax Station, Rouge National Park, and Toronto Zoo
  • New on-demand pilots in Whitby Shores and Seaton

More details: https://calendar.durham.ca/meetings/Detail/2020-01-08-1330-Transit-Executive-Committee-Meeting/a0942a89-d0c1-44ab-bf92-ab3600f1cfb9

I added a more detailed and more accurate version in my recent post 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...