Durham Region Transit

1 hour ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT owns and funds the entire system, PWT is only the operator for Whitby and North Services. They are responsible for drivers, storage of busses (owned by DRT) and doing basic maintenance such as refueling, cleaning of graffiti, and cleaning the vehicles.  So when you see an PWT job posting, it is to become a DRT driver following DRT’s guidelines and training procedures, but rather than being paid by The Regional Municiaplity of Durham, your paid by PWTransit Canada Inc

So is the office on Forbes street a garage operators work out of? Could you tell me what routes they cover for DRT?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, these photos are courtesy of Richard Oldfield

There we go.  

All, the above post sums it up nicely. Please post civilly here. We have a community of people all interested in a common topic, and we don't need any more negative or useless posts. Consider yourselv

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, NovaBus76 said:

So is the office on Forbes street a garage operators work out of? Could you tell me what routes they cover for DRT?

The office on Forbes at Wentworth is indeed just their operations facility, they don't even fuel busses there, however, they do clean them there. 

Routes that are covered by Wentworth Division include,

301 West Lynde

302 Baldwin - Brock

303 Garden

304 Anderson

305 Thickson

308 Whitby Shores

310 Winchester

312 Central Whitby

385 Late Night Shuttle Whitby

601 Brock - Uxbridge

603 Pickering - Uxbridge (Split between Whitby and Ajax divisions)

910 Campus Connect (Split between Whitby and Oshawa divisions)

922 Bloor - Townline

950 Reach - Simcoe North

960 Newmarket - Uxbridge

2 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

The office on Forbes at Wentworth is indeed just their operations facility, they don't even fuel busses there, however, they do clean them there. 

301 West Lynde

302 Baldwin - Brock

303 Garden

304 Anderson

305 Thickson

308 Whitby Shores

310 Winchester

312 Central Whitby

601 Brock - Uxbridge

922 Bloor - Townline

950 Reach - Simcoe North

960 Newmarket - Uxbridge

Cool thanks.. I had applied to druham transit and got an email in may this year to participate in the hiring process but I was away at my family cottage and didn't get the email in time .. so when I got back to Scarborough I applied to the pw transit posting and have an interview this Friday at the Forbes location.. so thanks for the your info..

9 minutes ago, NovaBus76 said:

Cool thanks.. I had applied to druham transit and got an email in may this year to participate in the hiring process but I was away at my family cottage and didn't get the email in time .. so when I got back to Scarborough I applied to the pw transit posting and have an interview this Friday at the Forbes location.. so thanks for the your info..

Good Luck and All the best. Hope to see you on the streets as I use DRT routes operated by PW in Whitby almost every day.

6 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT owns and funds the entire system, PWT is only the operator for Whitby and North Services. They are responsible for drivers, storage of busses (owned by DRT) and doing basic maintenance such as refueling, cleaning of graffiti, and cleaning the vehicles.  So when you see an PWT job posting, it is to become a DRT driver following DRT’s guidelines and training procedures, but rather than being paid by The Regional Municiaplity of Durham, your paid by PWTransit Canada Inc

Rather than saying "paid by", I'd say "employed by".  PWT would be the employer and should PWT lose the contract for Whitby to another operator (or DRT finally deciding to bring Whitby operations inhouse), there'd be no guarantee of employment going further.  

Speaking of which, does anyone have a factual, non-speculative, answer to the question: Why has DRT maintained this odd arrangement with Whitby services outsourced while the other divisions are not?  Why haven't they either brought Whitby in-house, or outsourced the entire thing as YRT does?

1 hour ago, DavidH said:

Rather than saying "paid by", I'd say "employed by".  PWT would be the employer and should PWT lose the contract for Whitby to another operator (or DRT finally deciding to bring Whitby operations inhouse), there'd be no guarantee of employment going further.  

Speaking of which, does anyone have a factual, non-speculative, answer to the question: Why has DRT maintained this odd arrangement with Whitby services outsourced while the other divisions are not?  Why haven't they either brought Whitby in-house, or outsourced the entire thing as YRT does?

Lol I was waiting for someone to bring up the fact that because DRT outsources to PW Transit and the possibility of the loss of employment if PW lost the contract SMH.. I know not many companies use common sense when faced with a decision but it still stands to reason that if PW does lose the contract or DRT does bring it inhouse that the ppl who were previously employed by PW unless they were less than satisfactory during their employment would be picked up by DRT.. but who knows ?there are still a bunch of other transit agencies in the GTA and its not like transit is going to be less in demand for years to come ..

5 hours ago, DavidH said:

Cheaper than paying to build their own facility. (Putting it into perspective, Raleigh upgrades cost almost $30,000,000.) With the amount of money received from PTIF Phase 2, the three biggest things they want to do include a new Central Facility creating 182 new jobs, purchasing Articulated vehicles, and preparing for the Simcoe Street BRT.  By the time the next 4 years are up, DRT may be able to take over operations of North and Whitby service as they will have that new facility with all of those new jobs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

301 West Lynde

302 Baldwin - Brock

303 Garden

304 Anderson

305 Thickson

308 Whitby Shores

310 Winchester

312 Central Whitby

601 Brock - Uxbridge

922 Bloor - Townline

950 Reach - Simcoe North

960 Newmarket - Uxbridge

So the operators who are doing Whitby and the north routes  don't start their day out of the Wentworth location ?

1 hour ago, NovaBus76 said:

So the operators who are doing Whitby and the north routes  don't start their day out of the Wentworth location ?

Most do, but sometimes you release a driver at their location by parking your car at your end destination of your paddles, then drive a shuttle car to the bus you’re releaving 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 12:02 PM, J. Bullock said:

I recall my brother saying it was something like 27/hr for part time? I have an interview with them on Thursday, so I could better answer that question later this week.

How did your interview go? I was contacted by email in May  to start the first phase of the hiring process but I was out of town that month.. I just had an interview with the PW Transit operation of Durham region 

1 hour ago, NovaBus76 said:

How did your interview go? I was contacted by email in May  to start the first phase of the hiring process but I was out of town that month.. I just had an interview with the PW Transit operation of Durham region 

Declined my offer.

• 4 weeks later...

Little thread bump here...

Noticed today that the next phase of expansion at Raleigh is well underway with exterior funashing occurring on the old building now, the rear storage area will soon be recieving a canopy to protect the tops of vehicles.

internal upgrades are also being done to the storage facility (old building) to bring it up to the New Maintnece Facility’s standards.

in Deliveries news, 5 more novas will come this year (8590-8594) with 4 more technically considered 2018’s to be delivered in January (8595-8598). After that the 85xx is closed and a new number series will have to begin in 2019 with 11 replacements scheduled for that year.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Is there a timeline for when 900-Pulse resumes service into UofT Scarborough loop? 
I think once I was on the 900 a few months ago and well, the detour via Millitary Trail and Morningside to Ellsemere has been so long that an announcement for Ellesmere and Millitary Trail has been was included.

I was there on Thursday and the north side of the loop was still closed due to the nearby building (Highland Hall) still under construction. According to UTSC's construction website there still is no further info on when the loop would reopen; the fact sheet mentioned a Spring 2018 opening which has obviously been delayed indefinitely. I would not be surprised if this arrangement continues into the winter, so it makes sense for DRT to reconfigure the routing on its INIT system for the "temporary" stops to avoid having to consistently scheduling detours that disrupt the "normal" timetable.

10 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

I was there on Thursday and the north side of the loop was still closed due to the nearby building (Highland Hall) still under construction. According to UTSC's construction website there still is no further info on when the loop would reopen; the fact sheet mentioned a Spring 2018 opening which has obviously been delayed indefinitely. I would not be surprised if this arrangement continues into the winter, so it makes sense for DRT to reconfigure the routing on its INIT system for the "temporary" stops to avoid having to consistently scheduling detours that disrupt the "normal" timetable.

25 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Is there a timeline for when 900-Pulse resumes service into UofT Scarborough loop? 
I think once I was on the 900 a few months ago and well, the detour via Millitary Trail and Morningside to Ellsemere has been so long that an announcement for Ellesmere and Millitary Trail has been was included.

DRT has Confirmed there is no longer going to be any service to UTSC Loop and they’re looking to put permanent stops on Ellesmere with a possible stop at Centennial Loop

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, J. Bullock said:

Did you hear back from the Region?

Back in May yes, but I was out of town in Kingston during that month and had limited access to my email as I was at the cottage. I have been checking the website for their next posting and my submission for the posting they contacted me about is still active ..

54 minutes ago, NovaBus76 said:

Back in May yes, but I was out of town in Kingston during that month and had limited access to my email as I was at the cottage. I have been checking the website for their next posting and my submission for the posting they contacted me about is still active ..

oh, so you didn't get an interview?