DRT

Durham Region Transit

5 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

We should see the same solar panels power digital next bus arrival signs soon!

DRT Claims that this is only in the works for Pickering Parkway terminal, according to what they said at the Public Accessibility Forum on Monday, they plan on completely remodeling  PPT and making it their first Proper terminal

21 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT Claims that this is only in the works for Pickering Parkway terminal, according to what they said at the Public Accessibility Forum on Monday, they plan on completely remodeling  PPT and making it their first Proper terminal

I hope they decide to use the space next to the Durham College building, set it up as a big loop that way buses can enter and leave from either direction and not have to loop around the mall. 

• Like 1

Considering that Westney Division is due to receive about 5 2018 (2017) Novas in this order, would they need a few more current Novas that are based in Raleigh to have at their division so their drivers can be trained on them, or is it that most drivers whom are at Westney would also be able to have runs that involve routes in Oshawa and therefore, could be assigned a 2015/16 Nova?

Had 8614 on the 910 today. Seems to me for the last few weeks the 21:45 from Whitby GO has frequently been Pulse buses... I would assume that the run is overtime from another Pulse run earlier in the evening.

On 12/1/2017 at 5:50 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

"First proper terminal"? You mean Oshawa Centre and UOIT aren't "proper terminals"? What qualifies as a proper terminal vs an improper one? :lol:

• Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 3:30 PM, newflyerinvero said:

Considering that Westney Division is due to receive about 5 2018 (2017) Novas in this order, would they need a few more current Novas that are based in Raleigh to have at their division so their drivers can be trained on them, or is it that most drivers whom are at Westney would also be able to have runs that involve routes in Oshawa and therefore, could be assigned a 2015/16 Nova?

First of all, it's a speculation made that some will go to Westney, not for sure. Until it's confirmed, there would be no need for any Novas being transferred over for "training purposes", even if they are being delivered there, I doubt they would even need to train drivers, a bus is a bus.

On 1/6/2018 at 3:30 PM, newflyerinvero said:

Isn't the order for the 4 buses that was announced back in October with perhaps an option for one more?

On 1/12/2018 at 12:27 AM, J. Bullock said:

Had 8614 on the 910 today. Seems to me for the last few weeks the 21:45 from Whitby GO has frequently been Pulse buses... I would assume that the run is overtime from another Pulse run earlier in the evening.

"First proper terminal"? You mean Oshawa Centre and UOIT aren't "proper terminals"? What qualifies as a proper terminal vs an improper one? :lol:

They explained this to me as similar to Brampton Gateway, a waiting room, customer service centre and washroom.

On 1/12/2018 at 1:15 AM, J. Bullock said:

First of all, it's a speculation made that some will go to Westney, not for sure. Until it's confirmed, there would be no need for any Novas being transferred over for "training purposes", even if they are being delivered there, I doubt they would even need to train drivers, a bus is a bus.

Speculation that I have had confirmed by DRT and Jan has had confirmed from an internal source...

On 1/12/2018 at 3:34 PM, Transit geek said:

Isn't the order for the 4 buses that was announced back in October with perhaps an option for one more?

Originally DRT was due for 13 2017 and 11 2018, then the 4 came in October bringing the total to 28 (8566-8593) there is an option for an additional 4 2018 units (8594-8597)

From a reliable source/friend at DRT

"As of today, there are at least 15 of the 24 new Novas on order on the property (Oshawa), though none in service yet.  These buses will replace all the 23 older Novas in the fleet (2002-06 models)."

IMG_3785.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

DRT Has relaseased their 2017 servicing and financing plan. This year is kind of underwhelming however, things pick up in years to come (if all could just go to plan for once)

heres the report: 

2018-DRT-03.pdf

Key changes :

915 Extension to Harmony Terminal 7 days per week, weekday service will operate via UOIT/DC North Campus Terminal.

112 gets a slight restructuring off of William Jackson and onto Rex Heath Drive

120 is added to the High Fequency Network

225 Restructuong up at the north end 

301 to operate 7 days per week

302 Restructuring in Brooklin to operate West on Carnwith to Ashburn, Ashburn to Vipond back to Baldwin SB

303 to operate 7 days per week

310 To operate 7 days per week

401 gets a one weekend schedule

417 to operate 7 days per week - replacing route 416

120,224,302,915,916 get early morning trips added on Saturday and Sunday 

growth vehicles this year 4

replacements : 16

PRESTO Fare increase to $3.15 and ticket price increase to $3.15/ticket sold in ten sheets

On 1/30/2018 at 12:06 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT Has relaseased their 2017 servicing and financing plan. This year is kind of underwhelming however, things pick up in years to come (if all could just go to plan for once)

heres the report: 

2018-DRT-03.pdf

link broken

• Thanks 1

Looking through that report, couple things I've noticed.
The 901 and the "double 401". I doubt that there'd be a double 401 (UOIT/Oshawa Station) and 401 (Oshawa Centre/Lakeview & Ritson). I suspect there'd be a different route to further define these services. I may need to be corrected, but was one other of these services 401 - UOIT/Oshawa Centre, or Oshawa Station? I may have misread it.

If/when there's more Pulse buses for the 901, I think that unless if the 901 is still a local route from UOIT/Oshawa Station, could there still be another local service between UOIT/Oshawa Centre via Simcoe, or is there a need for that kind of routing knowing the 910 exists?

On 2/12/2018 at 10:21 PM, newflyerinvero said:

Looking through that report, couple things I've noticed.

The 901 and the "double 401". I doubt that there'd be a double 401 (UOIT/Oshawa Station) and 401 (Oshawa Centre/Lakeview & Ritson). I suspect there'd be a different route to further define these services. I may need to be corrected, but was one other of these services 401 - UOIT/Oshawa Centre, or Oshawa Station? I may have misread it.

If/when there's more Pulse buses for the 901, I think that unless if the 901 is still a local route from UOIT/Oshawa Station, could there still be another local service between UOIT/Oshawa Centre via Simcoe, or is there a need for that kind of routing knowing the 910 exists?

The main 401 branch will operate between Oshawa GO and UOIT. The new "404" would operate from the Oshawa Centre and serve the south part down by Lakeview and Cedar.

There's no point in having a branch from the Oshawa Centre, if someone needs a destination along Simcoe they can transfer Downtown. Most people from the OC that would be travelling along Simcoe would be going to Durham College anyways (they can just take the 910)

• Thanks 1

Not sure if I brought this up before, has there ever been any consideration of interlining the 901 Pulse service with the 900, i.e. buses from UTSC would turn north onto Simcoe and run from there to DC/UOIT, and on the return trip would turn west from Centre to Bond. I am sure there are students who would benefit from a one-seat ride to and from Scarborough - previously they had to change from the 401 to the 900 in downtown or from the 915 to the 900 at Westney/Kingston in Ajax. This can be too much even with 10-minute service, especially during cold days in the winter and rainy days in the summer. I am sure the buses would be able to comfortably handle the turns at King/Simcoe and Centre/Bond.

32 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Not sure if I brought this up before, has there ever been any consideration of interlining the 901 Pulse service with the 900, i.e. buses from UTSC would turn north onto Simcoe and run from there to DC/UOIT, and on the return trip would turn west from Centre to Bond. I am sure there are students who would benefit from a one-seat ride to and from Scarborough - previously they had to change from the 401 to the 900 in downtown or from the 915 to the 900 at Westney/Kingston in Ajax. This can be too much even with 10-minute service, especially during cold days in the winter and rainy days in the summer. I am sure the buses would be able to comfortably handle the turns at King/Simcoe and Centre/Bond.

Students going from UOIT to Scarborough would be much better off by taking GO 93 to Scarborough Centre. 35-40 minutes on GO vs probably 1:10-1:20 to only get to eastern Scarborough. Plus, the longer you make a route the more difficult it is to have it run on time, as delays out in Scarborough/Pickering/Ajax would now affect service on Simcoe if the two routes are interlined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Students going from UOIT to Scarborough would be much better off by taking GO 93 to Scarborough Centre. 35-40 minutes on GO vs probably 1:10-1:20 to only get to eastern Scarborough. Plus, the longer you make a route the more difficult it is to have it run on time, as delays out in Scarborough/Pickering/Ajax would now affect service on Simcoe if the two routes are interlined.

As it is the 900 can’t seem to stay on schedule anyways

On 2/14/2018 at 8:55 PM, Transit geek said:

I personally would rather wait in the cold 10 minutes for a bus that's on time rather than be on a bus that's 10 minutes late... but I mean, that's just me being logical though.

On 11/27/2017 at 10:04 PM, NovaBus76 said:

Wonder when Durham will be posting for Bus operators again ?

There's currently 8 pt positions opening, go to durham.ca careers part and submit general resume and cover letter for a conventional operators position

Just received an email today that states tomorrow morning at 9:00 Celina Caesar-Chavannes, MP for Durham Region will be announcing an exciting investment in public transit infastructure.