Durham Region Transit

4 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

As per the DRT 2017 January 19th TEC Meeting

pdf.aspx?id=21223

13 2017 Novas for delivery by fall 2017 and 11 by March 31st 2018

will replace the oldest 24 vehicles in the fleet

if that’s the case it will take out all 81 and 83xx’s

and 2 D40LF’s.

We will have to see what happens, but that’s whats assumed by reports provided by DRT to the TEC

Link is broken.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, these photos are courtesy of Richard Oldfield

There we go.  

All, the above post sums it up nicely. Please post civilly here. We have a community of people all interested in a common topic, and we don't need any more negative or useless posts. Consider yourselv

Posted Images

12 hours ago, J. Bullock said:

Remember this is only a speculation, Nick. To my knowledge, there has been no talks of retirement/replacement of any buses. All remaining 815x and 8160 have been refurbished, 61 was refurbished after the garage incident. As of right now, I have no information on the status of those 04 units, someone who has more information might be able to better clarify. 

In my speculation, I don't think any of those early 84xx's will be taken off the road. A garage shuffle could be possible though; in the past, buses in rougher shape tend to go to Whitby, while the newer ones are sent to Raleigh, Westney gets a mixmatch of whatever. Also keep in mind that with that with the expansion of the HFN network through the new year, I doubt they would retire buses in good condition that would be needed for service expansion, if they did, it would decrease the spare ratio.

Yes Jon thanks for pointing that out. Yes it was speculation on my part. Guess we'll see how things work out when all of those Novas due arrive to see how the fleet works out.

Edited by newflyerinvero
Wrong information and other updates.
On 2017-09-18 at 9:49 AM, J. Bullock said:

Remember this is only a speculation, Nick. To my knowledge, there has been no talks of retirement/replacement of any buses. All remaining 815x and 8160 have been refurbished, 61 was refurbished after the garage incident. As of right now, I have no information on the status of those 04 units, someone who has more information might be able to better clarify. 

In my speculation, I don't think any of those early 84xx's will be taken off the road. A garage shuffle could be possible though; in the past, buses in rougher shape tend to go to Whitby, while the newer ones are sent to Raleigh, Westney gets a mixmatch of whatever. Also keep in mind that with that with the expansion of the HFN network through the new year, I doubt they would retire buses in good condition that would be needed for service expansion, if they did, it would decrease the spare ratio.

On 2017-09-17 at 6:34 PM, newflyerinvero said:

Given that here would be the 24 Novas due in for the end of the year, would this be almost the full retirement of the 2nd Generation series (the rest of the 81's) and 8324-29? Any scheduled for refurbishment too?

If that isn't the case, perhaps the D40LF fleet may be dented into in terms of retirements. If memory serves, I don't think there have been any that have been sent for refurbishment. Perhaps the oldest D40LFs may be targeted for retirement. Any specifics if there are any known?

Here is the confirmed list of fleet numbers of the 24 as well as the retirements

ond D40LF in the hitlist 

97B925D6-1A53-4C6A-A774-305129704720.png

It seems that 8171 will remain though

1 hour ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Here is the confirmed list of fleet numbers of the 24 as well as the retirements

ond D40LF in the hitlist 

97B925D6-1A53-4C6A-A774-305129704720.png

It seems that 8171 will remain though

Just got further confirmation that 8171 was forgotten in his text

all Novas and 1 D40LF

also a big fleet shift will happen

not all Novas will go to Ralleigh

13-Raleigh

5-Wentworth

6-Westney is the plan with D40LF’s and XD40’s being shifted around

On 9/19/2017 at 2:04 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

Just got further confirmation that 8171 was forgotten in his text

all Novas and 1 D40LF

also a big fleet shift will happen

not all Novas will go to Ralleigh

13-Raleigh

5-Wentworth

6-Westney is the plan with D40LF’s and XD40’s being shifted around

Where is your proof that this "big fleet shift" will happen?

In an email I received from a well trusted insider...

Twenty four new Novas are expected to be delivered in two bunches before March 2018, and will effectively retire the 23 2002-2006 Novas from the fleet.  This will make the oldest 40 foot conventional buses in the DRT the 2006 Flyer D40LF's which were the first new buses bought when DRT was formed January 2006. With their arrival there should be a number of changes to the current fleet allocation and new Novas are expected to be dispersed to all divisions, including Ajax that has never operated Novas. Some will also go to Pacific Western as well.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Jan Boic said:

In an email I received from a well trusted insider...

Twenty four new Novas are expected to be delivered in two bunches before March 2018, and will effectively retire the 23 2002-2006 Novas from the fleet.  This will make the oldest 40 foot conventional buses in the DRT the 2006 Flyer D40LF's which were the first new buses bought when DRT was formed January 2006. With their arrival there should be a number of changes to the current fleet allocation and new Novas are expected to be dispersed to all divisions, including Ajax that has never operated Novas. Some will also go to Pacific Western as well.

Thanks for the confirmation.

7 minutes ago, J. Bullock said:

Thanks for the confirmation.

Liam Hatch, cooperate communications for Durham Region Transit Commission,

email him yourself at

liam.hatch@durham.ca or tweet him @durham_transit on tweeter, he was able to get ahold of the 2018 fleet plan document from maintenance and opperations

On 9/20/2017 at 11:40 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

Liam Hatch, cooperate communications for Durham Region Transit Commission,

email him yourself at

liam.hatch@durham.ca or tweet him @durham_transit on tweeter, he was able to get ahold of the 2018 fleet plan document from maintenance and opperations

Cool, do you have a copy you can post, or no?

6 hours ago, ADB said:

Did DRT get to refurbishing the 2004+ Nova LFS buses? Or did they decide to just leave them until they are replaced next year?

They did some sort of light refurbishment, but no major overhauls.

2 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

I know the 83’s weren’t so I’d assume the rest weren’t either

The 83xx's are in poorer conditions, wasn't worth their time

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT, Ministry on Infastructure  and Ministry of Transportation are holding a media even on Tuesday at Salem Road and Kingston Road, likely to announce funding for the next phase of the Scarborough Durham BRT or something along those lines

How long is it from?

2 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Not quite sure, my email just says it starts at 9 am at the northwest corner of Salem and Highway 2 Pulse Stop

Strange, considering theres also a Metrolinx event happening that day also, in Ajax at the Community Centre, from 6:30 - 9 PM