DRT

Durham Region Transit

1 hour ago, TheAverageJoe said:

I remember reading the report it said 30 foot bus so it would be either MiDi, EZ Rider or Vicinity.

Uh no. You and others claimed or speculated they were getting Vicinity buses. I don't see anything that backed that up at the time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ADB said:

Uh no. You and others claimed or speculated they were getting Vicinity buses. I don't see anything that backed that up at the time.

The report out now says, 2 mini buses.  This was released on the 19th of January. with 0 30ft conventional growth. Theorfore it would not be any vicinity's or ezriders, or midis. A minibus.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

The report out now says, 2 mini buses.  This was released on the 19th of January. with 0 30ft conventional growth. Theorfore it would not be any vicinity's or ezriders, or midis. A minibus.

They updated it thanks

1 hour ago, TheAverageJoe said:

They updated it thanks

However, I'm in belief that this would be cutaways or something similar, but probably with a different seating configuration, proper Farenoxes PRESTO and INIT as these will be used in conventional service 

33 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

However, I'm in belief that this would be cutaways or something similar, but probably with a different seating configuration, proper Farenoxes PRESTO and INIT as these will be used in conventional service 

Yes most likely low floor too

Alright so the 2017 service changes, map and the Public information Centres info are all available online right now, everything seems pretty promising this year

including some things that weren't listed in the Budget report

including 30 minute service on the 302 on Sundays.

653 ORILLIA and 654 LINDSAY weren't mentioned yet either which is odd. They do appear on the map and we're discussed at the Feb 23 TEC Meeting.

DRT has published their display boards for the Public Information Centres that begin tomorrow at the Oshawa centre

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/RiderInfo/Documents/03.15.17 Reduced WEB FINAL PIC Display Boards.pdf

How will you spend you 6 DRT dollars

im for 

high frequency network (use 4)

service realocation (save one)

And improve connections (use 3)

the high frequency network now includes route 901 PULSE Simcoe Street, this is the first valident move to expand PULSE into a BRT Network like Viva and Züm.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT has published their display boards for the Public Information Centres that begin tomorrow at the Oshawa centre

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/RiderInfo/Documents/03.15.17 Reduced WEB FINAL PIC Display Boards.pdf

Thanks for posting this.  

The 901 Pulse Simcoe nomenclature is interesting, though it makes a mess out of the idea that the "9" prefix indicates a regional route that crosses muncipal boundaries.  I have to wonder why DRT doesn't just renumber these routes to single digit routes (e.g. 1 PULSE Highway 2, etc).

The fall map for Ajax/Pickering shows a new 223C Bayly branch providing one directional service (am/pm) on Shoal Point.  There's no mention of it in service changes - either in this document or in the 2017 Service Plan.  Does anyone have details on what is being done here?  It *looks* like a rush hour only change,  presumably for a few trips each day.

1 hour ago, DavidH said:

Thanks for posting this.  

The 901 Pulse Simcoe nomenclature is interesting, though it makes a mess out of the idea that the "9" prefix indicates a regional route that crosses muncipal boundaries.  I have to wonder why DRT doesn't just renumber these routes to single digit routes (e.g. 1 PULSE Highway 2, etc).

The fall map for Ajax/Pickering shows a new 223C Bayly branch providing one directional service (am/pm) on Shoal Point.  There's no mention of it in service changes - either in this document or in the 2017 Service Plan.  Does anyone have details on what is being done here?  It *looks* like a rush hour only change,  presumably for a few trips each day.

Speaking from an operator's point of view, there has been a significant outcry for service along Shoal Point since the 222 was eliminated. The 222 was quite busy during peak times, specifically in the evening.

4 hours ago, DavidH said:

Thanks for posting this.  

It's kinda hidden but it is in the April 10th service changes

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/Maps/Documents/2017 April Service Changes/Route Maps/Route 223_Apr. 10 - web.pdf

3 trips in each direction am/pm peak directional

19 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

It's kinda hidden but it is in the April 10th service changes

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/Maps/Documents/2017 April Service Changes/Route Maps/Route 223_Apr. 10 - web.pdf

3 trips in each direction am/pm peak directional

Thanks.  I didn't look closely at the timetable because it didn't see the 223C spur in the map on the cover.

On another note, we're starting to see some changes to destination signs for the 223.  A while back I contacted DRT mentioning that the use of "Pickering Beach" and "Pickering Parkway Terminal" was potentially confusing, requiring more effort to parse due to the use of "Pickering" on both destinations. They said that service planning had been talking about the same issue and had planned some changes.  This morning I noticed a westbound 223 wearing "223 Bayly to Glenanna" signage (matching the nominal change to the terminal location mentioned in the 2017 change PDF above).  I also saw an eastbound 217 with "To Pickering Beach and Dreyer" (as opposed to just "To Pickering Beach"). While the only eastbound 223 I saw still said "To Pickering Beach", presumably this may be getting changed as well and the bus I saw simply hadn't been reprogrammed.

1 hour ago, DavidH said:

Thanks.  I didn't look closely at the timetable because it didn't see the 223C spur in the map on the cover.

On another note, we're starting to see some changes to destination signs for the 223.  A while back I contacted DRT mentioning that the use of "Pickering Beach" and "Pickering Parkway Terminal" was potentially confusing, requiring more effort to parse due to the use of "Pickering" on both destinations. They said that service planning had been talking about the same issue and had planned some changes.  This morning I noticed a westbound 223 wearing "223 Bayly to Glenanna" signage (matching the nominal change to the terminal location mentioned in the 2017 change PDF above).  I also saw an eastbound 217 with "To Pickering Beach and Dreyer" (as opposed to just "To Pickering Beach"). While the only eastbound 223 I saw still said "To Pickering Beach", presumably this may be getting changed as well and the bus I saw simply hadn't been reprogrammed.

All the signs are in the works of being reprogrammed also utilize the two line format of sign. Ajax and a few oshawa routs are done and some regional ones 

On 3/16/2017 at 7:55 AM, DavidH said:

Thanks for posting this.  

Yes. Leave the 900-series routes to their local, regional designations to not confuse any future type of BRT/Pulse service with a 900-base number. Keep Pulse routes separated from other regional routes. 1 - Pulse Simcoe & 2 - Pulse Highway 2 works out really well.

If this is to be continued the way DRT is with Pulse's with 900-series route numbers, 915 and 916 (which I think could be the next Pulose routes), perhaps having them become 5 - Pulse Taunton & 6 - Pulse Rossland.

The local counterparts of Taunton and Rossland, in my opinion should still exist to equal the level of demand for local ridership and express ridership, similar to the setups in Brampton and York Region. As well as to a smaller extent, MiWay.

On another note, the 922 is becoming a joke. With base service during middays and evenings taken away, it essentially becomes the 421 all over again, especially with the "901" coming in for 2018. 922 wouldn't really be needed anymore. 421 probably would be given its old routing back. Does this make sense?

At UOIT for 2018, the 915 wouldn't be serving UOIT on weekends, leaving the only routes to serve there are the Pulse Simcoe and the 910. Depending of the frequencies of the Pulse Simcoe, the levels of service would be dropping off compared to that area between Taunton and UOIT are currently used to, even though that it's a short stretch of routing anyway. Though, having the 915 going to Harmony Terminal would be beneficial for northeast Oshawa connections.

If the "new" 401 - Lakeview Park between Oshawa Centre & Lakeview Park is to be implemented, how would it impact in terms of where it would park at OCT given the current terminal layout, especially if the frequencies are going to be, I think, every 15 minutes?

On the bright side though, the 401 would relieve pressure on the 402, 405 and other routes that serve both Oshawa Centre & Downtown.

The 405, if the Pulse Simcoe goes ahead, I'd believe it would/should serve Oshawa Centre on its way to Oshawa GO. This I would believe would not have the 405 going to Oshawa GO given that there would be that direct connection with the Pulse Simcoe.

In terms of the 2017 changes, the 408 and 409 setup, it looks to me like the 409 (or is it the 408?) that would serve Stevenson on its way to Oshawa Centre? That dashed line looked like limited service. Is this an indication that the Stevenson corridor to OCT is losing ridership?

Lastly, given these changes for 2018 (proposals, of course), there'd definitely be a need for an increase of several more Pulse buses. I wouldn't think it's realistic to keep the Pulse fleet to 26 with such an expansion with the new Pulse Simcoe coming in.

27 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Yes. Leave the 900-series routes to their local, regional designations to not confuse any future type of BRT/Pulse service with a 900-base number. Keep Pulse routes separated from other regional routes. 1 - Pulse Simcoe & 2 - Pulse Highway 2 works out really well.

If this is to be continued the way DRT is with Pulse's with 900-series route numbers, 915 and 916 (which I think could be the next Pulose routes), perhaps having them become 5 - Pulse Taunton & 6 - Pulse Rossland.

The local counterparts of Taunton and Rossland, in my opinion should still exist to equal the level of demand for local ridership and express ridership, similar to the setups in Brampton and York Region. As well as to a smaller extent, MiWay.

On another note, the 922 is becoming a joke. With base service during middays and evenings taken away, it essentially becomes the 421 all over again, especially with the "901" coming in for 2018. 922 wouldn't really be needed anymore. 421 probably would be given its old routing back. Does this make sense?

At UOIT for 2018, the 915 wouldn't be serving UOIT on weekends, leaving the only routes to serve there are the Pulse Simcoe and the 910. Depending of the frequencies of the Pulse Simcoe, the levels of service would be dropping off compared to that area between Taunton and UOIT are currently used to, even though that it's a short stretch of routing anyway. Though, having the 915 going to Harmony Terminal would be beneficial for northeast Oshawa connections.

If the "new" 401 - Lakeview Park between Oshawa Centre & Lakeview Park is to be implemented, how would it impact in terms of where it would park at OCT given the current terminal layout, especially if the frequencies are going to be, I think, every 15 minutes?

On the bright side though, the 401 would relieve pressure on the 402, 405 and other routes that serve both Oshawa Centre & Downtown.

The 405, if the Pulse Simcoe goes ahead, I'd believe it would/should serve Oshawa Centre on its way to Oshawa GO. This I would believe would not have the 405 going to Oshawa GO given that there would be that direct connection with the Pulse Simcoe.

In terms of the 2017 changes, the 408 and 409 setup, it looks to me like the 409 (or is it the 408?) that would serve Stevenson on its way to Oshawa Centre? That dashed line looked like limited service. Is this an indication that the Stevenson corridor to OCT is losing ridership?

Lastly, given these changes for 2018 (proposals, of course), there'd definitely be a need for an increase of several more Pulse buses. I wouldn't think it's realistic to keep the Pulse fleet to 26 with such an expansion with the new Pulse Simcoe coming in.

I think it should be the other way around regarding the 900 routes, 900 series routes should be reserved for Pulse or Express routes, while local regional routes should be renumbered to their respective number based on where they terminate. 

The 915 sees very little ridership from UOIT on weekends, the majority of the passengers who are on the bus at UOIT originated their trip somewhere along route 416 Kedron, and are continuing along Taunton to Whitby or Ajax. The 915 should not serve UOIT and continue along Taunton to Harmony Rd. If they choose to add a branch to serve UOIT during weekdays then fine, but I think with the amount of future options for people to get UOIT from western Durham Region, the 915 would not be necessary. 

1 hour ago, newflyerinvero said:

As for UOIT in 2018 you'd actually have the 901,910,950,417 and 310 on Weekends if you see the proposals, 950 this year gets Saturday service and the 417 is replacing the 416 next year.  310 looking at the maps looks to be a 7 day a week route come the brooklin restructuring next year.

Spotted a new Nova operating the 915 - didn't catch the number but it didn't have a rear window so it must be from the latest batch.

37 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Spotted a new Nova operating the 915 - didn't catch the number but it didn't have a rear window so it must be from the latest batch.

it was 8561 today.

On 2017-03-17 at 8:41 AM, 110B West Pickering said:

All the signs are in the works of being reprogrammed also utilize the two line format of sign. Ajax and a few oshawa routs are done and some regional ones 

It's nice to finally see some consistency in DRT destination signs.  Worth noting as well that they seem to have dropped directional indications - e.g. "Bayly" instead of "Bayly East". Of course, the "East" was always subject to confusion, so this seems simpler and ultimately more reliable.

I also notice that 900 is showing "Pulse - Hwy 2", which neatly sets up the future Pulse Simcoe route.

On 2017-03-20 at 1:13 PM, DavidH said:

It's nice to finally see some consistency in DRT destination signs.  Worth noting as well that they seem to have dropped directional indications - e.g. "Bayly" instead of "Bayly East". Of course, the "East" was always subject to confusion, so this seems simpler and ultimately more reliable.

I also notice that 900 is showing "Pulse - Hwy 2", which neatly sets up the future Pulse Simcoe route.

FY: All routes have had their signs stacked in the new format.

I'm all for a Simcoe Pulse service, if that means the branding will be expanded to other regional routes in the future - Taunton and Rossland in particular.

Some here that were "quick to jump the gun" and report that 8153 & 54 were retired without a credible source. I can confirm that they are still in service. Rode both within the last few days, 53 last night on a northbound 401

• Like 2

23 hours ago, J. Bullock said:

On 3/17/2017 at 10:53 PM, Transit geek said:

The 19:05 and 19:35 915's out of Ajax GO on weekdays are usually Oshawa units, good chance to catch a Nova at Ajax GO