DRT

Durham Region Transit

Well based on what I read, I assume the TTC/City owns the terminal, because the request is asking access to STC terminal through the TTC Board. If it was Metrolinx property I would assume the request would have been made to/through Metrolinx. I don't know, I'm just assuming based on how I interpret it.

Now, when it comes to maintenance and general up keep, I don't know. I should look out when I pass by there to see who cleans the eastern part of the terminal.

I guess well see if it is approved, more details will come out on whether or not they have a lease through TTC or GO/Metrolinx, similar to Miway at Islingotn.

The TTC owns the whole of the bus terminal at Scarborough Town Centre, and leases out the eastern end of it to GO/Metrolinx.

Dan

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

Well based on what I read, I assume the TTC/City owns the terminal, because the request is asking access to STC terminal through the TTC Board. If it was Metrolinx property I would assume the request would have been made to/through Metrolinx. I don't know, I'm just assuming based on how I interpret it.

Now, when it comes to maintenance and general up keep, I don't know. I should look out when I pass by there to see who cleans the eastern part of the terminal.

I guess well see if it is approved, more details will come out on whether or not they have a lease through TTC or GO/Metrolinx, similar to Miway at Islingotn.

I've always seen GO's own people maintaining the eastern part.

On 1/16/2017 at 9:25 PM, FlyerD901 said:

DRT finally pushing to get into STC

DRT access to STC

Knowing that this would be for the Durham Scarborough BRT project, but would also benefit PULSE, I'm trying to ponder up how many additional vehicles for PULSE would be required as 26 in infrequently adequate for service. Also trying to figure out where stops would be.

currently PULSE only stops at Port Union/Kingston/Sheppard, Meadowvale Road and UTSC. my guess for stops would be Morningside, Neilson,  Markham, Bellamy, McCowan and STC. those are the current plans for PULSE Stations once the actual BRT rolls into construction in and around 2021.

On 1/16/2017 at 9:25 PM, FlyerD901 said:

DRT finally pushing to get into STC

DRT access to STC

I think the bigger question is what type of DRT service would this be? I don't believe this would be related to the "Durham/Scarborough BRT" as that's still many years away.

Seeing as DRT had cut the 923 - Bayly, that was the closest 'local' route to Scarborough Centre. Otherwise, it may be an extension of 900-Pulse. However, is that part of Pulse's Phase Two plan, or is that specific for the bus lanes along Highway 2/Kingston Road?

Even if this was Pulse, man, they would be so stretched for buses.

14 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

I think the bigger question is what type of DRT service would this be? I don't believe this would be related to the "Durham/Scarborough BRT" as that's still many years away.

Seeing as DRT had cut the 923 - Bayly, that was the closest 'local' route to Scarborough Centre. Otherwise, it may be an extension of 900-Pulse. However, is that part of Pulse's Phase Two plan, or is that specific for the bus lanes along Highway 2/Kingston Road?

Even if this was Pulse, man, they would be so stretched for buses.

If they were wise, they would add a branch of the pulse (900A) that would just serve the western portion of the route to STC, and have the main line continue to serve U of T...

I kind of get the feeling that one long route from STC to Downtown Oshawa will result in bunching of buses at either ends of the route where traffic congestion is at its highest, and might cause riders to opt for GO bus routes 92 or 96 as it would be more reliable. Adding a branch from STC to say White Oaks? or Salem even would maintain a consistent service across the entire route. 

10 hours ago, DavidH said:

Tragic news - a fatal collision between a DRT bus on Brock St in Whitby and a pedestrian.

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/7074452-man-struck-by-bus-in-south-whitby-has-died-durham-police-confirm/

Pacific Western off to a great start.  This is why I couldnt get lunch at McDonalds.  I hadnt realized there was a fatality, thank you.

20 hours ago, DavidH said:

Tragic news - a fatal collision between a DRT bus on Brock St in Whitby and a pedestrian.

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/7074452-man-struck-by-bus-in-south-whitby-has-died-durham-police-confirm/

Was a double hit as they seem to be in the middle of the road after getting hit by the bus , they were hit by a car as well.

10 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Pacific Western off to a great start.  This is why I couldnt get lunch at McDonalds.  I hadnt realized there was a fatality, thank you.

And what exactly does Pacific Western's operation of Whitby's division have to do with this?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ADB said:

And what exactly does Pacific Western's operation of Whitby's division have to do with this?

Nothing spesificly to do with the accident, but everything has gone wrong except their on time preformance 

The guy was in the middle of the road? sorry, isn't this the result of being on the road when you are not a vehicle? It happens all too often, people are just too impatient to use crosswalks or traffic lights, it makes perfect sense to cross Brock Street right?, one of Durham's busiest corridors. Thoughts go out to his family, however I hope this serves as a wake up call for the hundreds of other people who cross the road illegally around almost every GO train station I've been to. You catching your train is not worth your life. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 409 Thornton said:

The guy was in the middle of the road? sorry, isn't this the result of being on the road when you are not a vehicle? It happens all too often, people are just too impatient to use crosswalks or traffic lights, it makes perfect sense to cross Brock Street right?, one of Durham's busiest corridors. Thoughts go out to his family, however I hope this serves as a wake up call for the hundreds of other people who cross the road illegally around almost every GO train station I've been to. You catching your train is not worth your life. 

Completely, the hundreds of people who pile on and off these trains in the peak periods equate to a ton of jay walkers and a ton of cars, this doesn't seem to work well for people

3 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Nothing spesificly to do with the accident, but everything has gone wrong except their on time preformance 

Then why bring it up? (rhetorical)

• Like 1

On 1/15/2017 at 3:55 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

I wonder what the "procurement of two minibuses" is. 

On 1/15/2017 at 6:41 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

I think I made a mistake, 107 is actually scheduled for 2018. The point still stands however that RHG will need more space

if it was full

it has

60'-85

40'-38

40'-54

40'-103 and then the 107 on top of all that

I doubt that they will add another bay for the 107, it would be a waste of money. Where would they even put another bay? Think about these things before you ask. If it was really an issue, the 103 and 107 could have different departure times, or the 107 could stop up by the 38, or even the westbound 54 stop on Lawrence, hell, why not just stack them? There is layover space at Rouge Hill, the bus doesn't have to lay up at the platform. 2018 is still a year away, after all.

4 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

It's been less than a month, it would be unfair to base one isolated incident on their performance. From my experience out in Whitby thus far, I have found a much better morale amongst drivers. Stop scapegoating Pacific Western for problems exceeding their control.

On 1/19/2017 at 10:19 AM, 409 Thornton said:

If they were wise, they would add a branch of the pulse (900A) that would just serve the western portion of the route to STC, and have the main line continue to serve U of T...

I kind of get the feeling that one long route from STC to Downtown Oshawa will result in bunching of buses at either ends of the route where traffic congestion is at its highest, and might cause riders to opt for GO bus routes 92 or 96 as it would be more reliable. Adding a branch from STC to say White Oaks? or Salem even would maintain a consistent service across the entire route. 

Why not have a semi-express branch from Oshawa to Port Union, then continuing onto Scarborough Town, via the 401? Along the same setup of the 501/501A ZUM service in Brampton. Alternate the trips, with every.. 2nd or 3rd? bus heading to the Town Centre. Not only would a express branch take off some of the pressure from the local, it would also render the service on the 92 redundant. I feel like riders would be discouraged by transferring if it ran from Salem or White Oaks. Bunching could be curbed by the bus skipping local stops (i.e Gibbons, Chapman stuff like that) Just a thought for discussion.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Vicinity? Is DRT getting two this year? 

DRT spesificly referred to these as MiniBuses

however they also referred to the 30 Foot bus as a Small Conventional City Bus,

43 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT spesificly referred to these as MiniBuses

however they also referred to the 30 Foot bus as a Small Conventional City Bus,

Well it would either be a 30 foot bus or a cutaway

On 1/21/2017 at 3:16 PM, J. Bullock said:

I wonder what the "procurement of two minibuses" is. 

I doubt that they will add another bay for the 107, it would be a waste of money. Where would they even put another bay? Think about these things before you ask. If it was really an issue, the 103 and 107 could have different departure times, or the 107 could stop up by the 38, or even the westbound 54 stop on Lawrence, hell, why not just stack them? There is layover space at Rouge Hill, the bus doesn't have to lay up at the platform. 2018 is still a year away, after all.

It's been less than a month, it would be unfair to base one isolated incident on their performance. From my experience out in Whitby thus far, I have found a much better morale amongst drivers. Stop scapegoating Pacific Western for problems exceeding their control.

Why not have a semi-express branch from Oshawa to Port Union, then continuing onto Scarborough Town, via the 401? Along the same setup of the 501/501A ZUM service in Brampton. Alternate the trips, with every.. 2nd or 3rd? bus heading to the Town Centre. Not only would a express branch take off some of the pressure from the local, it would also render the service on the 92 redundant. I feel like riders would be discouraged by transferring if it ran from Salem or White Oaks. Bunching could be curbed by the bus skipping local stops (i.e Gibbons, Chapman stuff like that) Just a thought for discussion.

The idea of the 900A is that it would head to STC via Highway 401. Having it skip stops would not really tackle the issue of passenger volume or service gaps. Many pulse buses are delayed due to passenger volume between Whites and Salem Road (usually a 900 leaving U of T on time at 4:00PM will be 7-8 down by Whites Road and depending on how service is running overall may incur crushloads by the time that bus reaches Glenanna Road. A branch terminating at White Oaks would assist main-line buses with crushloads (people who travel within West Durham can use the 900A). A branch terminating at White Oaks Court could then be turned around as an 'A' bus heading back to STC or can fill a service gap caused by 900's getting stuck downtown Oshawa. 

2 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Well it would either be a 30 foot bus or a cutaway

Based on what I have seen in the documents, it still states 8 buses for he 2016 that were paid for. Given that we already understand that 6 of those 8 are Nova LFSs, the other two, based on speculation on my part, as I don't have twitter and perhaps DRT may have tweeted about this for confirmation, may be Vicinity. Still speculation on my part.

I will say however that information has been quite inconsistent and it is difficult what to believe at this point with that order.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newflyerinvero said:

Based on what I have seen in the documents, it still states 8 buses for he 2016 that were paid for. Given that we already understand that 6 of those 8 are Nova LFSs, the other two, based on speculation on my part, as I don't have twitter and perhaps DRT may have tweeted about this for confirmation, may be Vicinity. Still speculation on my part.

I will say however that information has been quite inconsistent and it is difficult what to believe at this point with that order.

I remember hearing and reading about DRT getting 2 Vicinity for 2017

• Like 1

On 1/23/2017 at 3:43 PM, TheAverageJoe said:

I remember hearing and reading about DRT getting 2 Vicinity for 2017

"Unconfirmed sources" by a few people in the community.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ADB said:

Maybe just wait and see instead of posting unconfirmed and wrong information.

I remember reading the report it said 30 foot bus so it would be either MiDi, EZ Rider or Vicinity.

• Like 1