Durham Region Transit

DRT

On 9/26/2022 at 8:25 PM, 2044 said:

Noticed the 917 desto just says “PICKERING” now instead of “PICKERING PARKWAY”, which seems too vague. Come to think of it, the destinations for the 900 are also pretty vague.

This sounds like MiWay truncating Meadowvale Town Centre To just Meadowvale even though there's room on the desto, even if it's as Meadowvale TC. 

The confusion arises as there are several Meadowvale: Town Centre, GO, Blvd., high school, library/community centre, arena and theatre.  Not all of which are in close proximity to each other. 

Pickering GO and Pickering Pkwy/Town Centre despite being connected by the world's longest enclosed pedestrian bridge are still quite a ways apart.  DRT also has the habit of shifting routes from one "Pickering" terminal to the other.  Perhaps it's future-proofing?

• 4 weeks later...

Ex. DRT 8407 is being sold on AutoTrader, 2 years after it was auctioned off in 2020. The listing incorrectly labels it as 5407, but an "8" can be vaguely seen near the door in this photo. Doesn't seem to be in amazing shape. 

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/new flyer/transit bus/ste-julie/quebec/5_54920204_20100208082849095/?ms=heavy_trucks&showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=hl&orup=23_11_57&sprx=-1&modalXS=1

80b9ba16-86e2-4123-9729-539a4175059a.jpg-1024x786

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 8:48 AM, Gamer Studios said:

Oshawa GO Station is currently closed to DRT buses due to GO Transit ATU picket lines. Buses 902 and 403 are affected/detoured. Please take the 917 from the Oshawa Centre or Durham College Whitby Campus to access Whitby GO Station instead.

It's a bit hard to read this on light mode. Would you be able to repost in plain text?

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 1:26 PM, Gamer Studios said:

Why would service be cut to areas where Post Secondary students need it the most? 901 regularly gets packed, same with the other PULSE routes...

Not just that, but I wished that the OnDemand service should expand to all areas where a fixed service used to be offered (for example, the 225 Audley North which was "abandoned" since June 2020).

In other news, one of the DRT Novabus Hybrids have since been expanded to other routes. If I recall from my sightings today,  6121 is doing the 291S in Ajax (when it enters the Ajax Walmart).

Aside from those news, I'm waiting patiently for DRT to accept credit/debit payments (plus mobile wallets) to pay for fares.

2 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

Does anyone know if DRT still operates the on-demand service between Orillia and Beaverton? I was planning on making a large loop through there, by taking GO to Barrie, LINX to Orillia, and then GO back from Beaverton.

Hmmmm, not completely sure. I haven't personally tried this service myself (as I'm not from North Durham Region but live in the southern part) - however, such a service had quietly discontinued likely due to the pandemic.

If anyone who knows any insight about the service and to verify if my  facts are correct, please advise.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

Quick glance at fleet allotment (since the Wiki isn't updated) in case anyone is curious

Raleigh
---------
Conventional LFS's: 6105-6117, 8551-8569, 8579-8589
Conventional Xcelsiors: 8507-8511, 8516-8522
PULSE LFS's: 7111-7114 (they lost 7115-7117 to Westney for PULSE 915 and PULSE 916/916C)
PULSE XD40s: 8601-8610 (they lost 8611-8613 to Westney for PULSE 915 and PULSE 916/916C)
PULSE LFSAs: 9101-9107

Westney
-----------
Conventional LFS: 6100-6104, 6118-6119
Conventional LFS HEVs: 6120-6130
Conventional XD40s: 8502, 8504-8506, 8524-8532, 8539-8547
PULSE XD40s: 8611-8626 
PULSE LFSs: 7100-7110, 7115-7122
D40LF: 8470 and 8473

Whitby
--------
Conventional LFS's: 8570-8578
Conventional XD40s: 8501 (Broken Tracker), 8503-8504, 8512-8515, 8523, 8534-8538 (8533 retired due to a accident)
D40LF: 8471-8472

Voyago (the contractor for DRT On-Demand) uses a cutaway #2254 for Bowmanville/Newcastle On-Demand operations. Photo by Richard Oldfield
FB_IMG_1672199250218.jpg

Interesting. DRT on-demand seems to be operated by both DRT and Voyago depending on the area... I know someone from the OTEG Facebook group got a Voyago Toyota Camry sedan numbered 3007. However, I believe DRT may operate the service in the urban areas. I'm not sure, could someone clarify?

10 hours ago, J. Hollingsworth said:

DRT a provides about 25% of the service.

DRT mainly provides specialized service trips, using cutaways and Promasters

Voyago is a mix between specialized and OnDemand, using accessible vans, sedans and now that cutaway between Newcastle and Bowmanville, of which there were four passengers (myself included) on a trip from Newcastle to Bowmanville at 5pm last night; not bad.

From what I know, it seems to be busier than the YRT on-demand service.

20 hours ago, J. Hollingsworth said:

Yeah so… that’s a bit of a mishap it seems.

Voyago (OnDemand and Specialized) is running like it’s a weekday, this includes using the cutaway van in Newcastle.

this is great, aside from the fact that DRT is running on a Saturday schedule, but OnDemand has not been set correctly to fill in the gaps where regular routes aren’t 

Looks like whoever’s in charge is on holiday. Must be nice. They still haven’t fixed the app.

I hope DRT would handle the crowds, especially on the Pulse 900 and 901.

The frequencies reduced from Scarborough to 30 mins 7 days a week has to do with the 92p.

Well, it might be good, but not directly from UTSC on a weekday. Ya, kn an artic but, it almost makes the 900 laughable. Pulse as in BRT, but are pritorizing the 920...a LOCAL, but Regionsl route, to essentially be the defacto Pulse cross regional route to do most of the work, albeit, for the portion of HWY.2/Kingston Road that it serves. Too bad it's not a weekend route and the 900 to/from UTSC isn't as convenient as it's previously been.

The 901 being essentially put into 3 branches with each branch going at 30 mins seems good, with the bulk of its frequency between Simcoe & Bond to North Campus (or do all 3 branches go to Whinfield Farms?)

Wasn't the old 401/B/C, pre-Pulse even more frequent than what ot is now? Good luck DC North Campus Students.

Lastly, in my opinion, given that DRT is essentially all in on electric buses, capacity will only get better and increased demand on many routes.

Artics might need to be considered on a few routes (Besides 900 (which might need more)). Any chances hybrid artic (like the XDE60 or LFSA HEV) be conceivable, or is the region and DRT (ihavent seen the DRT capital budget to know), but being al in for electric buses might not mean artics, but only 40 foots which, would still be much more expensive than a traditional diesel bus.

DRT, good luck! (DiRT)

Update on DRT bus fleet number 8430 & 8436: 

To clarify, 8430 and 8436 might re-enter service. I was asked to complete an inspection on two covid vehicles next week. I'm assuming it's 8430 and 8436 because I'm scheduled to work at Westney next week. Plus, the order of 2023 XE40s has once again been delayed to possibly 2024. Now, completing the inspection for these vehicles means one of two things; 1. They could re-enter service  2. They've been sold and need inspections for the buyers

Source: DRT Mechanic

On 12/29/2022 at 10:44 PM, Gamer Studios said:

I'm pretty sure 920 will eventually become PULSE. 902 is slated to become one.

The old 401/B/C for the most part was 10-15 mins between buses (most of the time, average) out of Ontario Tech but this was during the rush hour. Midday was still 20 mins and weekends was 30. Also the 901C's idea only really intended so they don't have that many buses going to Windsfield Farm area apparently (what I heard).

Suburb agencies by themselves don't really have the same criteria as say the TTC. Since different areas have different needs.

In terms of the artics, two made appearances on PULSE 901 around Thanksgiving back in 2020/2021. So they aren't necessarily tied to the 900/900B PULSE Hwy 2.

Speaking of which as well the 401C actually became (a rather short-lived) route 422 Simcoe-Bloor.

and there was also the 401S branch.

I really wished that there should be a branch of the 901 Pulse - running from Windfields Park via OnTechU/DC to the DCOG Station (ICYW, DCOG = Durham College Oshawa GO).

While my idea (though it has been years since I had attended Durham College) would sound weird and silly, it would give students coming in from Toronto and Scarborough from the GO Train/Bus - another option that is convenient and easy.

Only problem is - it depends on the demand.

2 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

There's always the option to take 403 Park.

Sure.. that’s an option but I’d rather a convenient option (as mentioned/suggested by FutureHeartsJunkie) than going through a big loop down South Oshawa and having to transfer to another bus just to get to Durham College North Campus.. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

They used to have a branch off the 401 that went to Oshawa Station. Became the 422 Simcoe-Bloor. Not sure why they couldn't keep it.

There's also GO route 56 as well. It bridges OTU and Oshawa GO. Not sure how much GO currently charges for 3-4 stops? Their fare always keep on changing.

To my understanding, GO charges a fare-by-distance method. The longer you travel, the more you have to pay.

• 6 months later...

I recall a month ago I had been within Region and noticed plenty of Pulse buses on local routes and vise versa.

This happened on my previous tine there, maybe 2 months ago.

For those of you out there on a regular basis, is this more of a case of not as much service offered and way too many buses that it doesn't matter what's available for a driver to take out?

Is there a chance that the Pulse brand is not longer neccessary?

46 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

Overheard they are phasing out the dual livery soon.

Yes they are coming up with a new livery for all so that way there's no dedicated buses. Except the articulated should stay for Pulse unless they intend on using them everywhere else

• Confused 1