Durham Region Transit

DRT

23 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

or just drive

Woah you just solved human mobility for everyone, forever. Good job. Pat yourself on the back.

who knew the challenges of transportation had such an easy solution?  Now every city on earth can cancel their orders of busses because every person who needs to travel can just drive their personal car which they own. Even the blind! 

You've really outdone yourself sir. Keep on eye out for the delivery man; Elon Musk just sent you a medal for your hard work. 

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

As expected, there were a lot of confusion and anger among majority of the passengers, even among the bus operators as well. There also a lot of questions asking which bus route will stop at a certain street among passenger. Bus stops didn't change nor removed! Management screwed up big time

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, senzation#3 said:

As expected, there were a lot of confusion and anger among majority of the passengers, even among the bus operators as well. There also a lot of questions asking which bus route will stop at a certain street among passenger. Bus stops didn't change nor removed! Management screwed up big time

Huh. So they executed a plan that was not thought out and expected there not to be backlash? Hmmmm....it's almost like this was doomed from the start. Oh and what's this I hear about Durham Region using taxis and, in some cases SOMEONE'S PERSONAL VEHICLE for this OnDemand disaster!?

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, John Oke said:

Just watch, they’ll backtrack on the November and/or December boards probably 

I really hope that's the case. However, if what 'triggers phase B' is doubled down by DRT management and will not be put in place, then it will be a LONG time before DRT even gets to Phase B, much less Phase C. However, if this is reversed, I'd love to see the following return to their pre-COVID services.

217, 219, 225, 226, 232;

301, 303, 304, 308;

408, 409 (or if the 409 can have two branches, replacing the 408?), 411, 412, 417, 420 (?) Not sure about Bowmanville, so I'll not comment.

The 901 should at least start and end it trips at Onterio Tech.

910 should be back, unless if the 409 covers the majority of its routing along Thornton to Taunton.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 9:48 PM, Gamer Studios said:

it happens alot on DRT buses...

Not just those errors but those that have "J18708 Down" (or something like that).

Recently, one of the LFSAs "next stop" displays having the c-h-i-l-l-s (Translation: one of the displays that scrolls the next stop having that "freezing effect" or "stuttering"). Sadly, I couldn't remember which fleet number of the LFSAs experience that issue..

4 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Pardon the dumb question, but what does "RAD" mean?

And anyone know of if/when DRT would be re-introducing some routes?

RAD is an acronym for Run As Directed. I think they're standby buses that are deployed to fill gaps in service as needed instead of short turns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT a has some announcement coming

”something they’ve never done before”

Genuinely no idea what it is, but I assume we will know following the TEC meeting tomorrow

If we look at their previous rationale it’s probably something about how to screw over passengers even more 

On 11/27/2020 at 1:33 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT Does indeed have some service changes coming.

effective December 7th 2020

Route 405 Wilson will see new 405C Branch serving the Delpark Homes Community Centre every hour, seven days a week.

Effective January 3rd 2021

Routes 216 and 224 will reduce service to every 30 minutes in Peak from every 15 minutes.

902 and 915 will operate every 30 minutes from every 15 on Saturday mornings and Sunday’s.

this means that on Sunday’s the 902B will not operate.

Major changes:

403 Park will have a new 403C branch, operating from the South Oshawa Employment area in the late night to Downtown Oshawa.

901B PULSE Simcoe will now operate between Durham College and the Oshawa Centre, for service to Ritson, take route 407B and for service to Simcoe and Wentworth, take the 901

902B King will now operate to Courtice Road, then return to Trulls Road and King via George Reynolds Drive

New Route 980 will provide Late Night service from the South Oshawa Employment area to Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax and Pickering via Highway 2. 

on another note, no routes are otherwise close to returning, OnDemand zones have to reach 20 boarding/hour, currently Pickering West zone is nearing 7 per hour and south Courtice is at 4

My opinions on these service changes:

• Routes 403C and 980: these routes makes sense given that essential workers work during the afternoon and night shifts though I'm not sure if these routes are either one-way or two-way service
  • 901B: Make sense given the assumption that post-secondary students were complaining having to transfer to a different route in order to go the Oshawa Centre. Especially when the 407B runs on Ritson between Bloor and Wentworth
  • 902B: Also makes sense given the complaints from the riders where they're forced to get off the bus at Trulls Road and Hwy 2
  • Routes 216 and 224: Not sure but probably it's based on the adjusted schedule based on the GO trains during the pandemic
  • 902 and 915: I assume that the service reductions is due to lack of demand
  • 405C: I'm not sure why they a branch, but it would make sense if they add a branch when the covid vaccine is available 

What a joke!
The expectation of having 20 people boarding for the OnDemand services seems like such lofty high standards to accomplish. 20 boardings per revenue hour equates to justify 30 minute, base maximum conventional transit service. That won't happen given that the convenience is no longer there. 7 to 8 boardings per hour constitutes to about hourly conventional transit service. I am taking a guess here as I haven't seen their service standards. Even Burlington Transit is doing much better than a large, regional-based system like DRT.
Pre-covid, DRT was a forward-thinking, respectable agency that had great plans in place. We were laughing at YRT for their medaling in why they have historically bad ridership and those at the top who may those plans and the funding they receive wonder why? 
Now, they're region which I think is so much larger than York, has so much OnDemand. Not just in those rural areas where it can be more beneficial and cost-effective, but in urban areas where conventional transit service was there for so many years. Now, it's being treated in the same way as a rural area. 
Sure, ridership went down to covid, but going this far backwards to try to regain ridership is complete nonsense. It will be a very long time before even Stage A or B, or whatever stage it's in, to be advanced o the next stage. Not just with covid getting better, but passengers will take their time to get back to the system as they've lost trust in it.
The 'new YRT' is DRT. Congradulations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newflyerinvero said:

What a joke!
The expectation of having 20 people boarding for the OnDemand services seems like such lofty high standards to accomplish. 20 boardings per revenue hour equates to justify 30 minute, base maximum conventional transit service. That won't happen given that the convenience is no longer there. 7 to 8 boardings per hour constitutes to about hourly conventional transit service. I am taking a guess here as I haven't seen their service standards. Even Burlington Transit is doing much better than a large, regional-based system like DRT.
Pre-covid, DRT was a forward-thinking, respectable agency that had great plans in place. We were laughing at YRT for their medaling in why they have historically bad ridership and those at the top who may those plans and the funding they receive wonder why? 
Now, they're region which I think is so much larger than York, has so much OnDemand. Not just in those rural areas where it can be more beneficial and cost-effective, but in urban areas where conventional transit service was there for so many years. Now, it's being treated in the same way as a rural area. 
Sure, ridership went down to covid, but going this far backwards to try to regain ridership is complete nonsense. It will be a very long time before even Stage A or B, or whatever stage it's in, to be advanced o the next stage. Not just with covid getting better, but passengers will take their time to get back to the system as they've lost trust in it.
The 'new YRT' is DRT. Congradulations.

I think the only time where OnDemand reaches 20 boarders per hour is when a vaccine is available and besides pre-covid, the majority of DRT's ridership contains the huge bulk of students (secondary and post-secondary) and rush-hour commuters who takes the GO train/bus. In other words we won't get to Phase B/C until a vaccine is available

1 hour ago, 110B West Pickering said:

DRT received a number of new low floor Arboc vehicles, there are at least 3 I’ve seen so far, 5103 is at Raleigh and 5104-05 are at Westney.

Not sure how many total were getting, but they’re already in service.

here’s a photo next to the older cutaways

like the PULSE Novas, they’ve lost the grey skirting83F3FC4B-9597-4FE7-9BA9-8EB85F8D44C1.thumb.jpeg.ae3cc9b1bfa74381f669160a159bbe99.jpeg

6D072A80-B6A7-4EA0-8227-19C2601E7AE1.jpeg

I wonder if the Arboc's are to be used for on demand as well as the mobility service. Are they receiving more ProMasters?

• Like 1