Durham Region Transit

DRT

28 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

It doesn’t matter quite yet anyway... 

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/Modules/News/index.aspx?feedId=f3f5ff28-b7b8-45ab-8d28-fdf53f51d6bf&newsId=4bdda56c-0322-4fec-95e5-fe740d6c3088

The same service levels will be in place until at least the September board begins on September 7th.

There are no words for how incompetent this is.

• Thanks 3

On 8/21/2020 at 4:09 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/Modules/News/index.aspx?feedId=f3f5ff28-b7b8-45ab-8d28-fdf53f51d6bf&newsId=4bdda56c-0322-4fec-95e5-fe740d6c3088

The same service levels will be in place until at least the September board begins on September 7th.

I love the lie of "Unexpected deployment issues". They can spin it all they want but this was never going to work. This is a desperate attempt to save face after they were lambasted on social media for cutting 2/3 of the route network and replacing them with ProMaster vans with DRT logos on them.

On 8/21/2020 at 4:09 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

On 8/21/2020 at 4:38 PM, DavidH said:

There are no words for how incompetent this is.

1 hour ago, Chris W said:

I love the lie of "Unexpected deployment issues". They can spin it all they want but this was never going to work. This is a desperate attempt to save face after they were lambasted on social media for cutting 2/3 of the route network and replacing them with ProMaster vans with DRT logos on them.

It says on the website that it’s now been postponed until further notice, so it might be canceled all together or delayed beyond the September board 

To be fair, they never mentioned what type of vehicle they were going to use. Could have been full-sized buses in some areas, like they used on the late night shuttles. They also have five ProMaster vans. Not sure if that’s enough to adequately cover everything.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

ICAMI (In case anyone missed it): PRESTO E-tickets are now available for Durham Region Transit. The only problem is - you have to download the app to take advantage of it. The app is called the "PRESTO E-Ticket app".

While it sucks that there isn't an option available for the Access Pass (those who are on ODSP or OW (Ontario Disability Support Program and Ontario Works respectively) are eligible for the Access Pass - providing if the recipients show proof) to be purchased on the PRESTO E-ticket app.

Source: https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/fares-and-passes/presto.aspx

On 9/1/2020 at 10:43 PM, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

ICAMI (In case anyone missed it): PRESTO E-tickets are now available for Durham Region Transit. The only problem is - you have to download the app to take advantage of it. The app is called the "PRESTO E-Ticket app".

While it sucks that there isn't an option available for the Access Pass (those who are on ODSP or OW (Ontario Disability Support Program and Ontario Works respectively) are eligible for the Access Pass - providing if the recipients show proof) to be purchased on the PRESTO E-ticket app.

Source: https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/fares-and-passes/presto.aspx

Just reading about the Presto E-Ticket app through the link you provided which is similar to YRT Pay app which uses the same platform. Seeing the comparison between the Presto fare (ticket/card) at $3.25 versus paying $4 cash fare for DRT. Difference is YRT has a different company who maintains the platform where as Metrolinx maintains the Presto E-Ticket platform. 

Metrolinx is definitely looking to monetize on the mobile especially not everyone wants to pay $6 for a card to save 75 cents versus paying cash. 

Coinciding with new Presto devices that are able to read barcodes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Can confirm, the service change date is Monday, September 28th, 2020. 

The announcement regarding this change will be made on Monday.

I am curious what exactly it will entail... Bill Holmes mentioned during the September 9th TEC meeting that it will be the Phase A service restructuring. 
Thats whatever, but Phase A was supposed to go into service (internally) on Monday, August 10th, then got pushed to Monday, August 24.
Now, entering service on the 28th of September, surely ridership is higher than what it was in early August. 

Attached is the diagram that shows details of each stage again and what exactly triggers each stage.

I think we should now at least be entering stage B, based on the ridership recovery I've notice in the past few weeks.

392354975_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_22_10PM.thumb.png.ef0ee6815bdf517a59aecbf49a6d6d73.png1512120806_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_22_34PM.thumb.png.34d1d9c5c5c2a9dfd52894ce542af539.png379153763_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_23_09PM.thumb.png.d0c4f493c3aec19205384e7880ca3d4a.png1686853640_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_25_31PM.thumb.png.fb2c02f0620cac69c0a89d1dd02abdac.png1260662346_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_26_28PM.thumb.png.36f8014dc449c4cc23df9500e5e241af.png1723954832_ScreenShot2020-09-10at6_25_01PM.thumb.png.641448865a4fbf969abdd78c17913ae5.png

I see they learned nothing from the backlash they got. There's no way this plan will work.

• Like 2

I see they learned nothing from the backlash they got. There's no way this plan will work.

I agree, I think it will be a disaster with the service change especially in september when there's students using transit. If I was a transit planner doing a ridership recovery the first thing I would do is:

1. Restore regular service levels especially the 417 (except for rush hour routes)

2. The 917 should run from DC/Ontario Tech to Pickering Pkwy Terminal via Oshawa Centre/Whitby Stn/Ajax Stn

3. 902 should have run 15 min headway from Oshawa GO to Bowmanville then 30 min headway to Newcastle

4. Extend the 900 to STC on 15 min headways then 7.5 min headways between Downtown Oshawa to Pickering Pkwy Terminal

5. Routes 405, 407, 410, 916 and 915 should run on 15 min headways

6. Scrap GO bus route 81 and replace with 302A that goes to Beaverton and runs every 2 hrs.

7. Expand service Route 603 to every 2 hrs from Pickering Pkwy Terminal to Uxbridge with extra trips to Port Perry during rush hrs

8. Routes 120, 216, 224, 302, 917 and 905 should run a grid system on 20 min headways

9. Introduce Pulse on Simcoe (902). When School fully opens, 5 min headways (peak), 7.5 (middays), 10 min (weekday evenings and weekends)

10. Introduce to urban on-demand during night times especially overnights (Operating hrs varies when regular bus routes are finished their hrs)

11. When post-secondary schools reopen: extend the u-pass to August 31

Edited by senzation#3

42 minutes ago, senzation#3 said:

I agree, I think it will be a disaster with the service change especially in september when there's students using transit. If I was a transit planner doing a ridership recovery the first thing I would do is:

1. Restore regular service levels especially the 417 (except for rush hour routes)

2. The 917 should run from DC/Ontario Tech to Pickering Pkwy Terminal via Oshawa Centre/Whitby Stn/Ajax Stn

3. 902 should have run 15 min headway from Oshawa GO to Bowmanville then 30 min headway to Newcastle

4. Extend the 900 to STC on 15 min headways then 7.5 min headways between Downtown Oshawa to Pickering Pkwy Terminal

6. Scrap GO bus route 81 and replace with 302A that goes to Beaverton and runs every 2 hrs.

7. Expand service Route 603 to every 2 hrs from Pickering Pkwy Terminal to Uxbridge with extra trips to Port Perry during rush hrs

8. Routes 120, 216, 224, 302, 917 and 905 should run a grid system on 20 min headways

I like everything in your opinion here, except that PPT has little space beyond an area of 3 buses laying over at a time. Staggered scheduling with multiple routes could be a temporary solution unless Pickering Town Centre would allow for a terminal built on their property close by Pickering Parkway.

DRT should go into Phase C rather than to be insistent of ridership killing On Demand. However Phase C still doesn't bring everything back. 

The 910 had been planned to to go to Ajax Station via Bayly and Whitby Station. Though Iirc, it was for rush hours only as the off peak trips were to go as far as Whirby Sration.

Edited by newflyerinvero
Additional information to add.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, senzation#3 said:

9. Introduce Pulse on Simcoe (902). When School fully opens, 5 min headways (peak), 7.5 (middays), 10 min (weekday evenings and weekends)

10. Introduce to urban on-demand during night times especially overnights (Operating hrs varies when regular bus routes are finished their hrs)

11. When post-secondary schools reopen: extend the u-pass to August 31

The 917 doesn't necessarily need to serve Ajax GO Station. I think that little jaunt will create delays through the Ajax stretch, affecting whitby and Oshawa customers. Service from Pickering to Whitby GO via Bayly and Victoria is sufficient, and if customers still demand a westbound connection to Pickering from Ajax GO...add a branch 917A Ajax GO to PP Term. 

Here are the service changes staring on Sept 21st. This is Phase A, same as usual with a slight revision of the 902. These politicians are really out of touch with the people especially the students.

Schedules: https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/routes-and-schedules/resources/Sept.-28---2020/Combined.pdf

System Map:  https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/routes-and-schedules/resources/Sept.-28---2020/System-map/PleaseUse_DRTMap_September-2020---20200908_WithRevised902.pdf

Edited by senzation#3
wrong date

2 hours ago, senzation#3 said:

Here are the service changes staring on Sept 21st. This is Phase A, same as usual with a slight revision of the 902. These politicians are really out of touch with the people especially the students.

Yup.  I'm gonna vent.  My kids are in grade 8, but we don't feel school buses are safe right now.  We're driving them to/from school every day.  I'd have them take DRT if my route (223) were continuing since it's the against-traffic direction and a fairly nice one-bus trip.

Instead, assuming I'm right in reading this mess as you can take an on-demand bus within your immediate zone or to designated connection points or the GO station, DRT wants them to take three buses to go a few kilometres - probably for a total transfer time of over one hour.  Ridiculous.

And that's just one example of how bad this is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/14/2020 at 2:56 PM, DavidH said:

Yup.  I'm gonna vent.  My kids are in grade 8, but we don't feel school buses are safe right now.  We're driving them to/from school every day.  I'd have them take DRT if my route (223) were continuing since it's the against-traffic direction and a fairly nice one-bus trip.

Instead, assuming I'm right in reading this mess as you can take an on-demand bus within your immediate zone or to designated connection points or the GO station, DRT wants them to take three buses to go a few kilometres - probably for a total transfer time of over one hour.  Ridiculous.

And that's just one example of how bad this is.

It's not just the service changes - even the One-Fare programme (in which you can use a DRT Monthly Pass loaded with PRESTO (/w proof of PRESTO Receipt for a DRT Monthly Pass load) or paper-based Access Pass (in the size of a business card) on certain GO Bus routes within Durham Region is being discontinued, too - as of September 28th, 2020.

This should not be confused with the Co-Fare agreement - it'll remain in place as it had before.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:44 PM, Gamer Studios said:

and what about the 901 Pulse Simcoe? Is that coming soon?

That route will come online as of September 28th, 2020.

Edited by FutureHeartsJunkie
adding supporting points plus clarity on the topics.

At what point will they realize that this OnDemand scheme isn't going to work? There's a reason they delayed it by a month. It was solely because of the backlash they (rightfully) received from angry residents. Spin it however you want but this is inevitably going to FAIL. Was all the backlash not enough?

• Sad 1

At what point will they realize that this OnDemand scheme isn't going to work? There's a reason they delayed it by a month. It was solely because of the backlash they (rightfully) received from angry residents. Spin it however you want but this is inevitably going to FAIL. Was all the backlash not enough?

It's anyone's guess if new OnDemand system is a flop. Might as well have to Uber/Lyft to/from my home to the GO train station (or even from home to a destination and back).

Many people (the majority are seniors and people with disabilities) will be severely impacted with the changes. Not sure on what the results will be - when the service changes come in the next couple of weeks.

4 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

It's anyone's guess if new OnDemand system is a flop. Might as well have to Uber/Lyft to/from my home to the GO train station (or even from home to a destination and back).

Many people (the majority are seniors and people with disabilities) will be severely impacted with the changes. Not sure on what the results will be - when the service changes come in the next couple of weeks.

Considering how much backlash there is, it's safe to assume that this is already a flop, even before it's been implemented.

This is just service cuts disguised as a "service recovery strategy". Nobody asked for this, nobody wanted this and it will be an INSTANT failure, then the Region may be forced to backpedal on it.

2 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Turns out it’s actually a ministry of transportation announcement at Raleigh division

Here are the details.  TLDR; bus replacements, more BRT lanes on Hwy 2, BRT lanes on Simcoe, more hard stop implementations, new onboard destination signs, and some more minor things.

2 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

Not just seniors that will be affected...basically anyone who rides or works for DRT. A former DRT bus op told me he got laid off cause of those changes

It really sucks for anyone who have been affected by the changes. We're not sure how everyone will be adapting to the changes that DRT had finished setting up - when winter comes.

People would eventually end up getting a taxi/Uber/Lyft for those first-mile/last-mile trips if they live along a route that would be cut (even if the OnDemand service is implemented). Then again, your milelage may vary.

2 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

or just drive or have your friend to drive you

Sadly, I can't drive but my dad (who is retired) can drive me. Alternatively, I would likely ride my bicycle and take a combination of that and riding a DRT bus (they have bicycle racks on the buses).

Anyhoo, moving on - with the new 917 bus route being launched, it'll give an opportunity for people in Oshawa on going to the Pickering Town Centre mall and even the Pickering Markets flea market on weekends (that way, they won't have to transfer to separate buses and so forth).